3636 Sansom Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.podrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2153871803
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 11:00pm; Friday: 11:30am - 12:00pm; Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese, Asian
- Executive Chef: Hugh Moran, Brian Baglin (GM)
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: With delectable cuisine and stellar service, Stephen STARR Events brings the experiences of the wildly successful STARR Restaurants to the world of catering. “Re-inventing” the traditional event, Stephen STARR Events prepares unique chef-driven creations as well as signature selections from the restaurants with menus tailored to each client. For more information on full-service catering for small and large private, social and corporate functions, as well as, quick-service options, please contact Stephen STARR Events at (215) 923-2675.
- Special Events: All of our PODs may be guaranteed through our special event coordinator, Diane Farina. She can be reached at 267.238.3650.
For PODs 1 and 2 (seating for between 6 and 9 guests) there is a $420 food and beverage minimum.
For POD 3 (seating for between 8 and 13 guests) there is a $625 food and beverage mimimum.
- Cross Street: Between 36th & 37th Streets on Sansom
- Public Transit: Market-Frankford El, 34th Street Stop.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Pod offers valet parking seven days a week for $20 per vehicle. There are private, non-affiliated lots in the area and limited street parking available to our guests as well.
A word from Pod
Philadelphia restaurant impresario Stephen Starr's retro-modern offering, located in the town's "University City" neighborhood, lets its guests sip sake, beer, and colored cocktails while munching on fresh sushi, dim sum, and Pan-Asian entrees. The hip, contemporary, "starship-like" space was conceptualized by famed Manhattan designer David Rockwell and influenced by the films "Sleeper" and "2001: A Space Odyssey."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Pod reviews from OpenTable diners
210 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (122)good for groups (108)special occasion (97)neighborhood gem (75)hot spot (74)great for lunch (50)vibrant bar scene (43)romantic (27)late-night find (20)kid-friendly (19)notable wine list (8)great for brunch (8)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Bday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014I attended pod for my bday dinner. They fully accommodated my party of 10. My full party had not arrived but they did seat us somewhere so we could be comfortable instead of waiting in front for the entire party to arrive. Everything came out in really good timing there was never a moment when anyone was wondering what's taking their drink and/or food so long. My only complaint would be our servers not so funny sense of humor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience for teens!NjdinerDined on 8/27/2014Thank you for making this experience for my three nieces and celebrating their birthdays amazing! They can't wait for their next visit!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RiadDined on 8/25/2014Great place. Great food. Great service. We were a party of 9 and they gave us one of the "pods." We could change the lights in the place. I just don't understand why international driver licenses are not accepted. No one carries their passports around.Special Features:
- Really fun dining experiencenewcollegemomDined on 8/21/2014We enjoyed a very fun and tasty celebration dinner as our freshman daughter was spending her first day in college. First days can be stressful and Pod was just the remedy to a long day! We tried food from each part of the menu and it was all delicious. Service was excellent and very friendly.Special Features:
- Good Time!CarlaDined on 8/19/2014We celebrated my son's 21st birthday at POD. The food was served tapas style which was fine, but our waiter did not explain this beforehand, so I ended up with a lamb meatball appetizer and a short rib entree with no side dishes. I also did not like that food was brought to our table as it was prepared. My entire party had completed their appetizers and were almost finished with their entrees before my appetizer was brought out. The food was delicious though, and the POD was fun for our group of 4.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty CoolTrishDined on 8/17/2014Pretty cool decor with nice menu. Food presentation was lovely. Pricey with miso soup coming in at $8.00! Service was attentive without being pretentious. Nice for celebration. Loved the lights.Special Features:
- Good restaurant for young crowdLCarterDined on 8/16/2014This place seems very trendy. The night we went to this restaurant, it was packed with a young, college age crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and TastyDamienDined on 8/16/2014While there has definitely been some wear and tear on the restaurant itself, but the fish was fresh, the menu was excellent, and our server was beyond phenomenal (the bus boys as well). I reiterate our food was excellent, the tofu wraps, vegatarian roll, sashimi, tofu stir fry, seafood fried rice...and OMG the dessert... we had the special alongside the chocolate cake... definitely enjoyed and wouldn't mind experiencing it again. I would add, in terms of ambiance, the lighting is to bright with the windows, so optimal time would be late late summer or evening the rest of the season.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodColandoDined on 8/11/2014I thought the interior setup, lights, and music were great. Staff was knowledgeable and helpful. The food was good, but I thought it was a bit overpriced. I would recommend it to a friend for somewhere new and cool to go, but I likely won't go back for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingPatriciaDined on 8/8/2014Laura Martin is a great manager! Her professionalism & warmth is reflected through her staff. I forget our waitresses name but she was wonderful as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpectacularSuperiorDined on 8/8/2014One of our most memorable meals anywhere. Super cool decor--all white with neon lighting and anime cartoons in the background. Very professional and well-groomed staff. Food was adventurous and first-rate. Not a bad morsel to be had. Spicy tuna is a must if you are a sushi fan. Also had the soft-shell crab plate and a macademia nut chicken plate.Special Features:
- Great serviceFondivaDined on 8/2/2014Our food was all amazing!our server Jen made great recommendations for all of us! She made the night perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hostess issueConfusionDined on 8/1/2014We had called in advance and asked if we could reserve a Pod and were told they were first come first serve. We arrived a little early and happily observed that there was an open Pod. When we asked if we could have it we were asked by the hostess to wait while they validated it was open. When I indicated that I was informed it was available on a first come, first served basis I was the informed that they can be reserved with some sort of $ commitment. They need to get their story straight so that do not keep customers waiting.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014Food was amazing. Would definitely recommend to others and would come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Fun, Always GoodDiscerningDinerDined on 7/28/2014My Daughter is 19, and has picked Pod for her birthday dinner for many years now - and it never disappoints! The food is always very good (a little pricey)...service is solid...and the atmosphere is fun. Even if you aren't sitting in a color-controllable pod, its still a fun, energetic place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodBigMacDined on 7/27/2014Food was great, but a little pricey. Great ambience. Non-sushi portions were bigger than expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodab3314Dined on 7/26/2014The food here was wonderful! We came specifically for the fluffernutter spring rolls. Everything was great. My only complaint was that I requested no sake foam on one of our desserts. The waiter brought it with the food anyway and said "just try it". The reason I requested to not have sake is because I am highly allergic to it (sad I know). So I ended up not being able to eat the dessert at all. Just a thought for future customers. Everything else was absolutely wonderful though!Special Features:
- Super Value for U City Dollar DaysphillyfoodieDined on 7/26/2014Wasn't expecting such a great meal during a discount event seemingly intended to draw customers to restaurants in University City where much of the population is gone in the summer. Very tasty dinner of creamy California Roll, fresh Salmon Teriyaki, big bowl of Miso soup and palate pleasing sorbets. Will go again. Full price is worth it. To top it off, street parking was available on a Saturday night.Special Features:
- UneventfulJim8aLotDined on 7/24/2014Tried for the first time during restaurant week. The fixed menu was lacking and the food was bland. Not impressed.Special Features:
- Superb!msnikki40Dined on 7/24/2014I went to the Pod after work with a few of my coworkers and everything was great! The food was delicious, the service was prompt, and our waitress was great as well. I would definitely recommend Pod to family and friends for a wonderful dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!Luv2dineDined on 7/24/2014Our server Kelly was very attentive, pleasant & a pleasure to have. The food was great (as expected) and the ambience is so refreshing and delightful. I hadn't been to the Pod in years & I am pleased that the service has not changed. I can't wait to go back 😊Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time at PodWoodvikingDined on 7/24/2014Last time here was 10 years ago. We (a 2-top) ate at around 5:45 and it was slow to start on a Thursday night, so service could have been better overall. Waitress took too long to ask about drinks. Second set of drinks took too long to come out, though she did apologize for forgetting about them. And, while I'm not fond of wait-staff checking in with us every 2 minutes, she didn't check-in often enough after the main course was served. We didn't need anything, but if we did, it would have been an issue. I'm writing this as a former waiter. Overall, a decent meal. But the service, though not completely awful, lacked when compared to the price of the overall meal.
- Good food--poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014After reading all the reviews, I was shocked at the level of poor service. Took about 10 minutes just to fill our water glasses. Then he brought our cocktails out after the appetizers. After that, we didn't see much of our server again. The food was good, but the poor service ruined the experience for me.I would recommend this to a friend.
- University Dining Days ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/21/2014My girlfriend and I attended the university dining days event yesterday night for dinner. The food was exceptional for a great price. You got four plates for $35. We got the california and spicy tuna for appetizers, miso soup and potstickers for dimsum, udon and chicken for entree, and the cake and springrolls for dessert. The only complaint was the service. Although it was a busy time, it felt like the server had more than she could handle. Our water glass was not refilled twice and the table took forever to be cleared. It felt as if our female server rarely checked in on us because we saw all the other servers more than we saw ours. Overall the experience was good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Good food, nice ambiance. They made a slight error but were very happy to fix it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun birthday dinner!CarolineDined on 7/19/2014I had a great time here- my boyfriend took me out for a birthday dinner at Pod. The food was phenomenal and the cocktails are a bit pricey but for a special occasion we didn't mind. The only thing I didn't like was that some snobby family had a kids birthday party there and the kids were running around the restaurant. Not Pod's fault of course but spending over $100 on a nice dinner shouldn't involve dealing with brats running all over your table. Next time I go I will definitely ask for a window table or one that is out of the way for a quieter ambience. Also, I mentioned online that it was a birthday dinner and they put a sparkler in my dessert which completely surprised me! Made the dinner extra special! We will be back soon!Special Features:
- Love it!lysslyss10Dined on 7/18/2014This is my favorite spot in all of Philadelphia! The wasabi crusted steak is amazing!!Special Features:
- Not Fit for the Senses.FreshandFoodieDined on 7/18/2014We had high hopes for Pod - unfortunately it was a disappointment on all the senses. We immediately sensed a fishy smell. Were it not for a Steven Star restaurant, we would have left. The decor was interesting at first, but as your eyes focused on details, it seemed plasticky & cheap - not modern & chic! The plastic red cubes near the bar reminded me of romper room. The small TV screen behind the super long sushi bar wall was playing an Asian cartoon reminiscent of yu-gi-oh...really!?!? Pod seemed to be a sad, kindergarten copy of Morimoto's sushi restaurant in the Boca Resort (which IS so modern & chic!). The service was slow despite a light lunch crowd. The food?..please hold the aioli! Every sauce & side seemed to feature aioli!Special Features:
- Great fun/great food!MimCDined on 7/17/2014Took some young friends for a birthday celebration! Pod did the trick...with the private pod and fun light panel to play with, plus the delicious foods to sample made it a memorable evening! Thank you Pod! We'll be back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014great restaurant and our visitors from Kenya loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Treatmaggicat1Dined on 7/14/2014Been to Pod many times. Never had anything but a great dish. My very favorite for lunch is the teriyaki kobe beef burger. The burger is fabulous and comes with delicious tempura vegetables. Service always prompt and courteous. Located by the Inn at Penn.Special Features:
- Wonderful time!foodporn223Dined on 7/12/2014A few of my friends and I were getting together to celebrate the arrival of their new baby and we had a pod in the back of the restaurant which was awesome :) Great experience :)Special Features:
- AwesomekellyQDined on 7/10/2014The service was awesome and the food was superb. We were treated as celebrities. The food was fresh and the plate presentation was beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVED IT!WineNCheeseDined on 6/28/2014My husband & I decided to come here for dinner while visiting Philly, and we had a FANTASTIC time. The duck leg appetizer was delicious, as was the miso soup, and filet mignon. I truly enjoyed the Australian Sauvignon Blanc, very aromatic & perfectly chilled. The food portions are quite generous so come hungry. Everything was very well prepared, professionally set up, and the hostess, waiter, and servers were exceptional! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decor Great, Food notGumboNorthDined on 6/28/2014The decor & ambiance is still fun, colorful and happening. The cooking, however, is not. The spices are old, tired and often lacking. Calamari salad appetizer was fresh but the calamari was unseasoned. Sushi was rated good by the out-of-towners and they eat it all. Bok Choi seasoning and sauce was weak as was the chix lettuce curls. Drinks were very good.Special Features:
- Asian foodLuv2dineDined on 6/25/2014Wonderful meal at Pod. Steamed buns, sea bass & wasabi steak delicious.Special Features:
- Very creative menu!RatherBeMountainBikingDined on 6/25/2014Took the family here and really enjoyed our evening. The menu was very creative and offered lots of opportunities for us to try different things. They were able to handle folks who had varying diets. It had lots of options for vegetarians and folks that don't eat shellfish or pork. I would be willing to go here more often than other restaurant because of the wide variety of choices.Special Features:
- Pod is very fun and delicious foodgr8forvegetariansDined on 6/22/2014I went to pod with my nephew and we really enjoyed the ambience and the food. It was his first time there, but I have been there many times for special occasions such as my son's birthday, etc. He is a vegetarian so we ordered all vegetarian and everything was wonderful. Very good food and a lot of fun because the restaurant is so different in design.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodBarbee624Dined on 6/20/2014Brought my mother here for an early dinner on a Friday before a show. I had dined once previously and the food and service had been good. Was not disappointed a second time. Place was relatively empty at 6:00 pm so we were seated right away. We ordered both sushi and hot plates which all come out one at a time as they are ready. Sushi seemed fresh and the rest of the food was prepared well. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great service, food, atmosphere2BAemptynesterDined on 6/18/2014Went here for lunch after my d graduation. Love their lettuce wraps btw. We all had a great meal. Our server was very attentive, and went out of her way. Pod helped make my d graduation day extra special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.