6401 Riverside Blvd
Sacramento, CA 95831Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://pocketbistro.net/
- Phone: 9163917990
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 11:30am - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Sunday: 10:00am - 8:30pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Edmund Abay
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: NFL SPECIALS every Sunday & Monday starting the 2nd Sunday of September Open Monday Nights for NFL menu & drink specials •well drinks $3.75 •Fat Tire, Stella, Sierra, Shock Top $3 Open at 10am on Sundays •Brunch Specials •Bottomless Mimosas & Bloody Mary's $10 •Fat Tire, Stella, Sierra, Shock Top $3 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- •Happy Hour: Tuesday-Friday 3:30 PM - 6:30 PM •Tuesdays - $3 Sangrias made at Pocket Bistro and marinated overnight •Thursdays - 10 oz Prime Rib Special served with truffle mash potatoes, seasonal vegetables, au jus sauce and horseradish cream sauce...$20 •Saturdays - 10 oz Rib Eye served with chef's choice of sauce and garnish, truffle mash potatoes and seasonal vegetables...$22
A word from Pocket Bistro
Pocket Bistro strives to be your neighborhood hangout where you can experience classy neighborhood dining without the high prices. Pocket Bistro offers contemporary American Cuisine with daily specials and a widespread list of beer, wine, and cocktails. We are the perfect place to go on a date, grab a quick bite with or without the kids, a night out with friends, to stop for a cocktail or to try our homemade desserts. We want to be your favorite neighborhood restaurant by offering a friendly, inviting atmosphere and serving delicious food at reasonable prices.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pocket Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
11 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (7)great for lunch (4)fit for foodies (4)kid-friendly (3)good for groups (3)special occasion (3)romantic (2)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014Came here for my birthday dinner with my wife. It was a Sunday night at 7pm. The restaurant and bar wasn't busy at all. We ordered the short rib for me and the blackened salmon for my wife. We also ordered the clam chowder and Caesar salad. The salad seemed wet. Lettuce didn't seem fresh. Clam chowder was good. My short ribs were excellent. The mushroom risotto was as well. I didn't care for the spinach though. My wife loved the blackened salmon. Good flavor and perfectly cooked. She was able to sub the basic mashed potatoes with mashed sweet potatoes. Service was superb. Overall a good experience. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pocket BistroDinnerclubDined on 6/28/2014Overall it was OK but one of the appetizers we ordered (the shrimp cocktail) was terrible. The shrimp had obviously been frozen and had the definite taste and feel of suffering from freezer burn. When we told the waitress she apologized and did offer to bring us another one but by that point our entrees were coming. Better solution would have been to take the charge off the bill. That didn't happen.
- dineroutVIPDined on 6/27/2014I've dined here several times and the food was always very good/excellent. I invited our family for dinner and 3 ordered the flat iron steak which was very tough and difficult to cut let alone chew. They should have sent it back, but didn't (we very rarely do that!). Also, I don't think the sauvignon blanc two us ordered is what we requested (they were out of the Joel Gott so we asked for the Napa Cellars -- we believe it was a pinto grigio). The restaurant was not busy for a Friday night and the service was slow. I was disappointed as the others had never been to Pocket Bistro, but will try again in the future.Special Features:
- One of our favoritesDiningoutDined on 5/16/2014We eat at Pocket Bistro about once a month. It is a very good local restaurant with very good to excellent food. The staff is always attentive and courteous.Special Features:
- The following 63 reviews are from the Pocket Bistro reviews archive.
- Pocket Area GemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/16/2014I've yearned for a great restaurant in the Pocket Area for many years. It's great to finally have one. The food has always been fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome price for awesome foodDLhardingDined on 4/11/2014I have been to Pocket Bistro on several occasions and I have never been disappointed. Their clam chowder, spare ribs and bread pudding are the best. The restaurant is quaint and the food is a step up from a mid-range restaurant. A typical lunch for two is about $20. It's also a great dinner option for small groups. No complaints here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Neighborhood SpotNonicknameDined on 3/12/2014We were going to be in the area and decided to try this place. The food and service were good. If I lived closer would eat here but I wouldn't go to far out of my way to eat here. It was good but nothing really special.Special Features:
- Great food but service OKeldonDined on 3/9/2014The service was slow but overall, the food was great so I may come back! We all ordered 4 different entrees and portions were huge and tasted great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food!jannie47VIPDined on 3/8/2014We enjoy going to Pocket Bistro because the food is always good. It's a nice neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedJMLWDined on 2/27/2014We have always liked the food and am happy that we have a restaurant like this in our neighborhood. We went there with friends from Chicago after raving about this place. The food was tasty but the main course portion size has dwindled since our last visit. The price has not. My plate with a rib eye stake had a tablespoon size scoop of potatoes. Really? We were to go back with neighbors in the next two weeks. We are going elsewhere for the price.Special Features:
- Pleasantly SurprisedLoistinaDined on 2/15/2014Never heard of it. Wanted to dine near our accountant in pocket area. Just happened to find it on Opentable. Well we were very happy that we went. My chicken Picatta was delicious, my husband's Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin dry & a little tough though he loved the cherry sauce which helped. The bread pudding was tasty, but not exceptional we would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not suitable for large parties.BeeHiveDined on 2/13/2014The hostess blew it! She had not reviewed her reservations for the evening and had no idea we were coming in. I had a reservation for 8 at 0630p and at 0630 is when she began "looking" for a table for us. We were seated an hour later and by this time the "special" was sold out! 4 of us were only there for the Prime Rib special and had to settle for something else! Also, no apologies from a manager and to top it off they sent us the newest and not the swiftest waiter. Our 0630p reservation turned into an 8pm meal. 2 of the couples we were with vowed never to come back to Pocket Bistro. There needs to be some accountability from the hostess to the wait staff. Poor review is definitely in order!!
- Great food, poor serviceyohanneDined on 2/12/2014Went out to lunch with my girlfriend at Pocket Bistro, reservations and all. Waited 10 minutes at the door before being shown a seat. Seemed like there was only 1 waitress working. Amazing food, but very slow service.
- Decent foodBillCDined on 1/30/2014The location make this a nice option for people in the Pocket area. there is really nothing else like it close by. the food is good, but not great, my cesear salad was a bit dry.... but the rest was good. The service was very good...Special Features:
- Can't go wrong!foodiepatootieDined on 1/10/2014Everytime we visit this little gem, we are never disappointed. Attention to detail n their food preparation is flawless. I always order the chicken picatta and the preparation and presentation are always on point. Our server Veronica was personable and when asked if we could have extra sauce for the picatta, she made sure a bowl of sauce was delivered. As a former banquet chef, I am always impressed that the food arrives at the table on very warm plates which keeps the food hot throughout the meal. Kudos to the chef and staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointment for a Monday NightdisappointedDined on 12/23/2013Went to Pocket Bistro for a birthday dinner, unfortunately it was on a Monday night. Found out there is only fried chicken and hamburgers on the menu. We decided to stay to try it. We weren't too impressed. I don't think we will go back on Mondays.Special Features:
- Excellent foodmary0034Dined on 12/3/2013My dinner group of seven chose this restaurant for our December outing. Some people drove over an hour. Everyone single person was blown away by the quality of the food. We had chicken, meatloaf, ribeye, and the ahi salad. Service for our group was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and drinksmary0034Dined on 10/27/2013We had brunch on Sunday, the kitchen was very slow in getting our food prepared, but with the bottomless bloody marys made the wait was OK. I recommend only if you are not in a hurry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great finddiningdivaDined on 10/8/2013This gem is such a welcome addition to the Pocket neighborhood. I've eaten dinner several times and thoroughly enjoyed my meal every time. I recently had lunch and was equally pleased with the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, ambience and staffEatItUpDined on 8/9/2013This place is an (almost hidden) Sacramento gem. The food is excellent, the prices reasonable, the decor reminds me of some of my favorite restaurants in Los Angeles. The staff is super friendly, very professional, and the place has a nice vibe. Don't judge it by its strip-mall location, it's totally cool inside. And the bread pudding is by far the best I've had anywhere, not to mention the cheesecake (both made onsite and fresh). The entrees are just as delicious. This will be a new go-to place for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go on Thursday night!yeemsDined on 6/13/2013We recommend going on a Thursday night to experience their Prime Rib dinner. Go before 6:30PM because once they run out, that's it. Nice find in the Pocket/Greenhaven neighborhood. Service from a "long time" employee (I wish I caught her name) needed improvement in areas of speed, remembering to bring condiments, utensils, etc. and don't use the excuse, "we've been unusually busy tonight." That's no excuse for a "long time" employee (and I mean YEARS) at this restaurant.Special Features:
- Good food in a humble placeSFfoodieVIPDined on 5/17/2013We tried Pocket Bistro for an after-graduation-from-law-school for our son. Located in a strip mall, very humble in its decor, it had a good menu which had something to please everybody. Food was competently cooked. Everyone was happy and we are mostly foodies from San Francisco. The server was especially gracious and cheerful. The fact that a traffic accident backup delayed us 15 minutes did not faze them and our table was ready and waiting.
- Great food, very friendly serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/16/2013We enjoy eating there. The food is very good and the servers are very friendly. My favorite is the chicken picatta. Reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Check It OutOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/21/2013I have been to this restaurant 3 times and each time the food is consistently great and the service is great. It is one of those restaurants from the outside you would never know the gem that is inside. Definitely worth checking out.Special Features:
- A little bistro in a striphelloVIPDined on 4/5/2013A little bistro in a strip mall in Sac. the food was very surprisingly good! nice sized salads, good flavors. short ribs very tender, salmon was perfectly cooked, calamari crisp and tasty (could have been more) and soup is good.
- Excellent food, on par withmary0034Dined on 3/12/2013Excellent food, on par with the best downtown restaurants. Service was also outstanding. We were a group of six, they gave us a private room and were very polite in that the waiter was attentive but not intrusive. Love this place!Special Features:
- We went to Pocket Bistro forANNEWVIPDined on 3/3/2013We went to Pocket Bistro for lunch. It's in a neighborhood shopping center, however, from the outside of the restaurant, all the windows were tinted black & did not look attractive, but once you stepped inside, the ambiance was quite nice. There was nice artwork on the walls. I ordered the French Dip sandwich & it was okay but I felt it was quite expensive at $9.99. Menu is limited, but a nice drop-in restaurant if in the area.Special Features:
- Nice out of the way dining spotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/2/2013Nice out-of-the-way dining spot in the Pocket area of Sacramento. I didn't even know it was there until a friend suggested it, and I'd been driving by the location for years. The ambiance is more family restaurant than high-end bistro, though the menu has a number of gourmet entrees, some of which are expensive. I chose to eat from the appetizer menu and got the steamed mussels, which were small but delectable and abundant, and the polenta, which was average. My friends chose the skirt steak, which they said was very good. We had the bread pudding for dessert, which was good mainly because of the ice cream served on top. It would have been dry otherwise. Service was very good; our waiter was helpful and knew the menu quite well.Special Features:
- I loved the food. I thinknonicknameDined on 2/15/2013I loved the food. I think the presentation was a little ordinary. The service was great and very friendly. Good prices. I think the wine list needs a little work. More local wines (Lodi) would be great.Special Features:
- Fantastic ArtOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/8/2013Beautiful art in this restaurant! And the food was great too!Special Features:
- Compares Well With Europe's BestOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/5/2013We've gone several times, and the food has definitely improved over the couple of years we have been going. There are, of course, individual preferences about thickness of prime rib in a sandwich that can never be "overcome," but the quality and taste of the food this last 6 months have been excellent. My brother, who lives in Nashville now, wants to come to the Bistro every time he comes through Sacramento, and he and his wife do extensive travelling and eating in great places in France and other parts of Europe. His rating of the Bistro puts it on a par with some of the best restaurants they've been to in these locations. Maybe not an exact equal but really right up there - and the distance to get there and cost makes this top notchSpecial Features:
- Came to Pocket Bistro to watchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/3/2013Came to Pocket Bistro to watch the Super Bowl, and while the overall experience was great, my issue with how the "Super Bowl Special" was communicated to us by our server. We came in @ 2:15 and were handed menus, and though there were signs randomly scattered around the bar area where we were seated, none of them specified that this special of $12 for "all you can eat" was also a COVER charge to sit in the bar and watch the game. Only after my sister ordered a meal off the regular menu were we told that we would also AUTOMATICALLY be charged the fee even if we weren't eating the special, and had already ordered and ate off of the menu. It almost felt like they were trying to make double the money off of us, instead of an either/or option.Special Features:
- We have been to this restaurantLynlowDined on 2/1/2013We have been to this restaurant a number of times and, as always, found the food to be very, very good, the wate staff to be very pleasant and professional and the overall experience to be excellent.Special Features:
- Our Wednesday night dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/30/2013Our Wednesday night dinner club had a wonderful time, we had a private room, the service was great and the food was outstanding, we will surely be back soon.Special Features:
- Food was serviceable and fairlyLikes2EatDined on 1/25/2013Food was serviceable and fairly priced. Nice place for those who want a decent dinner without breaking the bank. Also good for those who don't appreciate loud restaurants. This just had the hum of satisfied people enjoying conversation.Special Features:
- Our group of twelve waitedBuckeye1VIPDined on 1/6/2013Our group of twelve waited a long time for our meals but they were very good. THe wait was probably due to the size of the group.Special Features:
- Dinner in PocketEGFoodieDined on 12/14/2012Food was excellent as usual. My husband had the lamb chops sans the mint sauce because he generally doesn't like it but had it on the side. I sampled it and it was a very light mint sauce but it was flavorful. I had the chicken picatta and was surprised to find that the chicken was fried. It was the breast and wing portion and it was cut on the bias. It was very good but I prefer a traditional chicken picatta. I normally get the skirt steak which is excellent! The only negative thing I'd have to say is that the hostess did not give us menus when she seated us. And she even had the menus in her hand! She passed us several times seating people and giving them menus. We had to flag down someone to get us a couple of menus.Special Features:
- Primerib was tender. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/6/2012Primerib was tender. The rib eye had a lot of fat. I think the menu is on the pricey side.Special Features:
- I always enjoy my trip toOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/27/2012I always enjoy my trip to Pocket Bistro. I really love taking out of town guests there because it is a place they would not likely find on their own.Special Features:
- Thank you Pocket Bistro! WeRickDined on 10/21/2012Thank you Pocket Bistro! We ate at the Mexican restaurant that previously inhabited this space and so glad you came along to give us Greenhaven/Pocket residents another dining option.Special Features: