904 Bay Street
Beaufort, SC 29902Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.plumsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8435251946
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Will McLennagen
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Plums Restaurant
Plums is an eclectic, casual lunch and dinner bistro overlooking the Beaufort River and downtown Waterfront Park. Since 1986, Plums has offered an ever-changing menu that combines seasonal, fresh local ingredients in Global dishes. With a popular lunch menu bursting with giant salads and sandwiches, Plums changes to a bustling, inventive bistro dinner, highlighting fresh seafood, pastas and steaks at night. Stop in to relax and enjoy the view.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Plums Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Beaufort ›
Plums Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (16)great for outdoor dining (14)neighborhood gem (7)fit for foodies (6)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (3)good for groups (2)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)romantic (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- Plums reviewGalleygirlDined on 8/23/2014Food was fair, nothing special. Very, very, very noisy. Wait staff was untrained or just did not pay attention. Food sat on counter for 10 min before delivery and then brought by someone else. Wine delivered to next table then passed to our table with assurance they did not drink from it.
- Awesome foodGoatberry1Dined on 8/8/2014Their food was delish. Stuffed flounder is a Great choice mine was cooked perfectly. The steak was awesome as well. Great outdoor dining experience. Inside a bit loud but it's a great restaurant for family and couples.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just "ok"MrsGDined on 7/20/2014They were out of appetizers that we ordered. I ordered southwestern pasta w/chicken--dish was lukewarm, almost cold and chicken was so over cooked it was chewey. They were also out of sweet potato fries. When we asked for ketchup, we were given packets and upon opening, it ended up squirting all over my husband's polo. I don't understand why they couldn't give it to us in a small cup or bottle, this was not a fast food restaurant, and prices certainly reflected that! Waiter was very aloof too. Probably wouldn't go back, nor would I recommend it.Special Features:
- Good food w/ disinterested server.KKMacDined on 7/18/2014Had a beverage at bar while waiting on table for six. Wine menu disappointing. Six of is were crowded in to a corner booth with a server that was clearly overwhelmed. When we asked , at 8pm, for the specials she announced that she was working a double and didn't even know. Good shrimp & grits, good flounder. Slow server with poor attitude. It was the first night of beaufort's water festival - didn't the restaurant expect to be busy??Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dmf900Dined on 7/12/2014Nice location and the food was good. Service was so-so. Our waiter had to be asked about dinner specials. Menu seemed a bit limited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming waterfront diningSueMDined on 7/7/2014We ate at Plums on a Monday evening in July - so it was not crazy crowded, but definitely energetic. Got there early (since we were coming off the golf course at Parris Island and wanted to eat downtown) and enjoyed a long, leisurely time of cocktails, then dinner, without being rushed. We sat inside due to the heat, but there was plenty of outside seating available - which might be really great a little later in the evening. Wait staff was attentive and helpful. Food was superb - shrimp & grits perfectly prepared; grilled salmon served with garlic braised spinach - flavorful, not overbearing; LowCountry boil- excellent and plenty left over to take home. Raw oysters - yumm! This was our second time here - we'd definitely return.Special Features:
- great spotlovntoeatDined on 7/2/2014Plums is located in a perfect spot. The shrimp n grits were amazing. My husband had the mahi mahi which was also great. They had a good beer selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PitifulZoozie12VIPDined on 6/29/2014Disorganization, bad management, poor training. Food was ok.
- Good Food > Issues: Worth a VisitStoopnagleDined on 6/25/2014First, I'd rate the food worth the trouble. Our table had an appetizer of tomato pie which was outstanding and fresh as well as some of the best fried shrimp I've ever tasted. (I know, I know: fried shrimp - but these were seriously outstanding). Two of our party had the stuffed flounder with gullah rice and the other two had the crabcakes. Both dishes were tasty and delightfully done. The rice has a smokey flavor which makes it a bit over-rich, but delicious. We all had rum punches from Mason jars. The service lacked a bit. I chalked it up to youth & Plum's apparent attempt at Low Country Laid-Back that needs perhaps a bit more attention to training - it can be done with grace, but you have to get orders correct & know your specials!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/18/2014We made a reservation got there 10 min early. We were seated in an almost empty room with a table in the walkway. People bumped my chair as they walked by. The bar was 4 feet away and very noisy. Asked to move outside. We then sat outside not noticed for almost 15 min. The drinks tasted watery. The food was good.Special Features:
- Ladies NightFoodieNtrngDined on 6/12/2014I was pleasantly surprised. The view was great. Could be great for a causal date night or group wanting delicious food and drinks. It's not really kid friendly, so you may want to think twice before taking them there. We ordered a variety of different foods. The only complaint was about the rare steak. It wasn't cool to the touch in middle. Otherwise, our party of 10 was well accommodated as service was fast and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Among the bestJoeBoSoxVIPDined on 5/26/2014A good choice for dining in Beaufort. Shrimp is tastily fried.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- menuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/26/2014I wish they had a large selection for meals. Salmon would be nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 71 reviews are from the Plums Restaurant reviews archive.
- Casual atmosphere with good foodRayHDined on 4/12/2014It is right on the Beaufort River on Bay Street where many of Beaufort's shops and restaurants are located. It was a busy Saturday night, and the service was a bit slow but worth the wait. The only disappointment was that they had somehow run out of grits, and my wife always likes to order shrimp and grits at primarily seafood restaurants. I had the Boil dish, and it was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, terrible serviceLizfairDined on 4/11/2014Lovely table with a view of the Beaufort River. First, we had to ask the waiter for water about 10 minutes after being seated by the hostess. It took 20 minutes for a glass of wine to arrive and 20 more minutes for our food. The waiter passed by on several occasions attending to others needs without even a glance at us. When he finally brought wine, and took our order, he said that the kitchen staff was "backed up". The food was delicious, but the waiter needs basic training is social skills. When he came by to deliver the check, he had the impertinence to say....with a condescending tone....."I hope you have enjoyed your evening with us." We did, but not because of any attempt of the waiter to make us feel welcomed or attended to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soft Shell Crab!CrabLoverDined on 4/8/2014We took advantage of the special, wine-paired four-course event featuring soft shell crab for three of the courses. Fabulous! The food was wonderful, the wines perfectly paired and the overall experience so much fun! Hope they do this again next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place to Entertain GuestsIrishrogueDined on 3/24/2014For their last night in Beaufort, we treated our guests to a great dinner at Plums and chose a table overtaking the water. The waitstaff were very attentive and honestly advised when asked about different choices on the menu. The two men in our party had the low country boil and they could only eat half of it. Great but plentiful. overflowing with sausage and shrimp. One of the ladies had the grits and oysters and loved i,t and the other had the flounder and crab also excellent. We would certainly go back and have found this restaurant to be one of the best in Beaufort.Special Features:
- Call for ReservationsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/2/2014I can't really rate the quality or ambience of this restaurant since I've never eaten there. I had confirmed reservations thru this service for Sunday 2/2/2014, only to arrive at the restaurant to find that it was closed all day (even though they advertise open on Sundays). It put one heckuva damper on our 40th anniversary celebration.
- Seafood a HighlightBlondieDined on 1/25/2014Delicious, oysters & shrimp. Cornbread with pecan butter was yummy!Special Features:
- I have visited this restaurantCatherineDined on 10/18/2013I have visited this restaurant several times while in Beaufort. The food is good...never been disappointed with it. I recommend it for anyone visiting the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food with a viewMrBillDined on 9/27/2013Wife and daughter and I were seated on the back porch facing the park and river. Very scenic. The weather was perfect. Our appetizers and entrees were delicious. The service was very good, not hurried, not forgotten. Would dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food with Beautiful ViewCathyDined on 9/7/2013We had a very enjoyable evening at Plums. The food was excellent and the service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very poor shellfishfairviewDined on 9/1/2013The place is on the Atlantic coast.. waterviews, etc. The mussel meats were pea sized and the oysters had no meat to them either. The manager gave excuses that the summer rains made them small and they give more on the plate to make it up for size. (?huh) It took the manager 3 table visits to finally get it that we shouldn't have to pay for them. He wanted to serve us MORE of these.. like will bigger oysters and mussels magically appear? The salmon/risotto was very good. Mahi overcooked. The bottle of wine saved our night. Waitress was great, too bad she had poor food to serve us.Special Features:
- So-SoOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/31/2013One of our party of 4 had a Reuben Sandwich. The corned beef was tough--so tough as to not be chewable. I believe the meat was cut incorrectly. The lobster roll had little lobster and a great deal of lettuce. To be fair, the lobster roll was relatively inexpensive (less than the Reuben!), but I would rather be charged a bit more and have more lobster and less lettuce!Special Features:
- Perfet Spot for DiningLivingOnTheBeachVIPDined on 8/5/2013Went while visiting based on online recommendations. Exceeded expectations. Great spot to enjoy dinner with friends. Generous portions and attentive service. Went during sunset and highly recommend, especially at that time to appreciate the view. Split seafood tower which is enough for a meal for 2 with other great appetizers.Special Features:
- disappointed this timejax528Dined on 8/5/2013I usually love Plums, but this trip to Beaufort had me disappointed. Just two nights before dining at Plums, we ordered take-out and the shrimp were delicious, plump, large and flavorful. This same dish when ordered at the restaurant the night of our reservation, did not even closely resemble the first dish. The shrimp were tiny, overcooked and tough. The crab cake was all filler, no crab in the dish. The veggies served with the crab cake were hardly cooked and inedible. Really a disappointment for a restaurant that can have high notes as well as low. I think it depends on who is in the kitchen. This is the 2nd time this has happened to me when I've dined 2x in one week at Plums. Plums, make sure all of your cooks can cook the menu.Special Features:
- shrimp heavenperlorDined on 7/31/2013Shrimp of all styles were terrific. Oysters yummy.Everything was fresh. Good salad dressings.Scenic view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More like a bar than a restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/21/2013Wooden tables, limited wine selection, after seeing those around us order burgers and salads, I should have done the same! The clam chowder tasted like a mix of Chili and tomatoes, with canned minced clams. The crab cakes tasted like canned meat, definitely not back fin. My spouse chose the shrimp and grits, the shrimp were fresh and tasty and the grits were good. On a scale of 1 to 10 about a 5
- The food was prepared nicely,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/13/2013The food was prepared nicely, with special attention to specific requests and changes due to one person's food allergies. Our server, Sparky, did his best to provide excellent service and an enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BeaufortRaineDined on 7/7/2013I was very disappointed. The reviews led me to believe this was diverse and interesting food experience. The menu was bland and the restaurant smelled and was un-inviting when first arriving. We ordered raw oysters and were the worst we had ever eaten, plus the wine list was limited and un-inspiring. Would not go back - ever.Special Features:
- Plums-not your average fruit!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/7/2013Plums restaurant entrance is on Bay Street in Beaufort, SC. The interior is barn like with only average decor. However, there is a small dining deck on the rear that faces the river and the esplenade of Beaufort harbor. My wife and I dined there and enjoyed our meals; Mahi for her and stuffed flounder for me. The ingredients were fresh and tasty, but a bit greasy. The deck railing, outside, needed a serious washing and a paint job. The waitress was very careful about our multiple food intolerances and we really appreciated that. A little more attention to the ambiance and food preparation would make this a five star site, however, as it exists now I would go for a three star. I would go back again as the expeience was enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedmartyr2Dined on 7/5/2013Very disappointed. Very few of the menu items listed on the website were actually on the restaurant's menu. I ordered salmon and it was overcooked and had no flavor. The rest of our table, 10 people in all had inedible food. However the one good thing was the boiled shrimp appetizer. After that food went downhill. We have eaten st Plums for lunch and it was always good but this was the first time to try dinner. Will not return.
- Very friendly, excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/24/2013Very friendly, excellent service and delicious food. Had a very enjoyable diner and would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Not impressedOneyearDined on 6/23/2013We went here on our one year anniversary. Food was bland, service was ok the best part was view/location. I would not recommend for a future visit.Special Features:
- Great find.DebPDined on 6/14/2013We only had one night in Beaufort and wanted a nice place with a view. Saw a good review on TripAdvisor. Made a reservation. It is located downtown in the historic area. There was one spot on the porch on a glorious night. It was flag day and there was a program in the square not far away. We people watched as we ate our food. I had a chicken pasta dish which was very good. My husband had some kind of dish with shrimp and sausage and potatoes. He said it was very good. Alot of shrimp, more than you usually get. We got biscuits first with a delicious butter. The waitress asked if we wanted more later and we couldn't resist and had more. The service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and location! ServerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/29/2013Great food and location! Server took care of our every needs.Special Features:
- Fine - but nothing specialBobFromMassVIPDined on 5/18/2013Was driving from Charleston to Hilton Head and decided to stop in Beaufort for a break. Based on reviews, we decided to make a reservation at Plums. It was a fantastic location, overlooking the water but unfortunately, the tables on the porch were only for 2, so we needed to eat inside. The service was good and the food was good but nothing great. I got a salmon dish that was actually pretty good but the salmon wasn't fully cooked and heard several other diners send their salmon back for the same reason. The restaurant has great potential but next time we are in Beaufort, I'll try someplace else.
- Good enough for return visitTeeDeeDined on 5/16/2013Group of 6 visited Plums on Thursday May 16. We were greeted by a very personable server. She was most attentive. Our food was excellent. We enjoyed it so much that we returned to Plums for lunch on Saturday. Again, the food was really good. I would absolutely recommend Plums. The only thing that would have made it better would have been accomodations for a group of 6 outside. The view is just beautiful and we did have lunch outside on Saturday, but we weren't all able to sit at the same table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- early dinnerSnapperDined on 5/14/2013We had a great appetizer with assorted spreads, olives and cheese.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant Porch DiningXITguyDined on 5/11/2013Plums has a great porch overlooking the manicured lawns of the Beaufort waterfront. The meal was delicious start to finish; the servers were quick, responsive and the epitome of Southern Hospitality. I had the tasty Lowcountry Gumbo and the Oysters Rockefeller and shared my wife's wonderful Candied Pecan and Roquefort Salad; she also had steamed shrimp that was just right. All the food was well prepared and met our expectations. The porch dining was quiet and the trees with hanging moss and folks walking about the waterfront gave the whole dining experience a pleasant ending for the day. Of course, the wonderful Proseco also helped :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.