PlumpJack Cafe Squaw Valley
1920 Squaw Valley Road
Olympic Valley, CA 96146Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
PlumpJack Cafe Squaw Valley
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.plumpjackcafe.com/
- Phone: 5305831578x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily 7:30am -10:30am
Lunch (Bar Menu): Daily: 11:30am -10:00pm
Dinner: Sunday-Thursday: 6:00-9:00pm
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday: closed for dinner
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Ben "Wyatt" Dufresne
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Celebrate with style at the PlumpJack Squaw Valley Inn! Whether you are planning an anniversary, birthday party, shower or family reunion, PlumpJack offers attentive service and personalized planning to create memories that will last a lifetime!
- Private Party Contact: Rob McCormick 5305831576x
- Entertainment: Join us at PlumpJack Cafe Squaw Valley on select Thursdays this season to mingle with Winemakers in the bar or dining room. Enjoy sips by the glass, flight or paired with cuisine. Check our website for more details.
- Special Events: Attentive service, extensive wine selections, and high standards of excellence combine to create a world-class dining experience and impressive on-site catering services for your special event. We look forward to making all of your dreams for your event a
- Cross Street: off of Hwy. 89 South
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Attentive service, extensive wine selections, and high standards of excellence combine to create a world-class dining experience and impressive on-site catering services for your special event. We look forward to making all of your dreams for your event a reality. For private parties between 10 and 200 people please contact the Sales and Events Office.
A word from PlumpJack Cafe Squaw Valley
PlumpJack Cafe Squaw Valley offers a menu based on regional influences, indigenous flavors and locally-farmed ingredients. PlumpJack Squaw Valley's menu changes seasonally and features amazing wine pairings hand selected in concert between the chef and sommelier. PlumpJack Cafe, located at PlumpJack Squaw Valley Inn, is widely regarded as Lake Tahoe's premier dining destination.Continued
"3 stars - PlumpJack Cafe Squaw Valley" – Michael Bauer, San Francisco Chronicle
"Best of Award of Excellence" - Wine Spectator 2006 through 2013
"3 stars - PlumpJack Cafe Squaw Valley" – Michael Bauer, San Francisco Chronicle
"Best of Award of Excellence" - Wine Spectator 2006 through 2013
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
PlumpJack Cafe Squaw Valley reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (11)fit for foodies (10)romantic (10)notable wine list (9)vibrant bar scene (8)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- YummyinksVIPDined on 8/23/2014Chef Dufresne does a fantastic job of using local produce delicious creations. The white gazpacheo with neuske bacon accent was delicious as was the heirloom tomato salad with burrata. Very pleasant and delicious dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe We chose The Wrong Nightase1707VIPDined on 8/22/2014I had dinner at PlumpJack Cafe with my wife as well as my son and his wife. Three of us ordered the trout for dinner and it was good, but not amazing. The restaurant is very pretty, but the cacophony from the bar made it difficult to be heard. The prices are quite high for the quality of the food, and one should not have to wait twenty minutes for a scoop of ice cream.Special Features:
- A wonderful mealCeeCeeDined on 8/15/2014Plumpjacks was an A+ evening for us. The food and wine were delicious, the service managed to be attentive without being cloying, and the atmosphere was perfect. The restaurant was quiet enough that we could easily carry on a conversation. Plumpjacks was the best restaurant experience on all counts for us in recent memory.Special Features:
- Cant wait to return here!Lucky2LiveHiLifeDined on 8/9/2014Pros: AMAZING service! Divine menu, elegant and comfortable setting, romantic and charming. Cons:Very far drive to Squaw Valley from South Lake Tahoe on a very dark and curvy road.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wino PaulWinopaulDined on 7/25/2014Lamb chops were out of this world. Jason recommended a great Zinfandel that I was not familiar with, Brown Estate. Awesome. We come here every year on vacation and love it everytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the trip!AHFoodieforlifeDined on 7/24/2014The service was amazing including helpful and understanding hostess and servers. They gave suggestions for wines and food that were great AND they recommended other lunch and dinner places in the area that turned out great as well. The food is expensive BUT it is so amazingly delicious and supports local produce/products. Definitely worth spending the money for such great food. When we are in the area again we will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Squaw Valley's Fine DiningPrinceofpastaDined on 7/17/2014Cozy, Quality Food, Very Good Service. The menu was limited and a few of the portions were small. Most of the staff had been employed there for many years. We brought own bottle of wine and the corkage charge was only $20.00. If you buy one of their bottles of wine then there is no corkage on yours. I thought that was very reasonable. I have eaten there on five different occasions and the experience has been consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/13/2014Excellent food and creative recipes. Very well executed.Special Features:
- Some hits. Some missesdiningfoolVIPDined on 7/3/2014Have dined here quite a few times. Everything tasted great. Winners were the veggie Mac and cheese and Caesar salad..misses where the heirloom tomato salad (2 small slices of tomato) and the Fulton chicken breast (the pressed watermelon and popcorn added nothing). Service was excellent. The items that missed had flavor. Just missing some key ingredients and not balanced.Special Features:
- Reliable gem in Squaw ValleywinendineDined on 6/22/2014The Plumpjack Café is a real find among the restaurants available in the Olympic Village at Squaw Valley. The level of service, atmosphere, and food is more like something you'd find in downtown San Francisco. While the experience is first rate, the vibe is definitely casual, fitting the mountain retreat surroundings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MferVIPDined on 6/21/2014Nice twist in Cesar salad. Use of Padrona crisp and bocarones sardines is great. The peach crisp with carmel ice cream not to be missedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AveragePorkyVIPDined on 6/15/2014We enjoyed the dining room. My husband's chicken was delicious. I ordered the Rib-eye steak and it was more like a cheap sirloin cut. far from a Rib eye. So tough and flavorless. Our waiter was great, very attentive. The bathrooms look as if they belong in an high school gym! Terrible!
- The following 306 reviews are from the PlumpJack Cafe Squaw Valley reviews archive.
- Lovely Dinner OverallrecommendVIPDined on 4/19/2014We had an excellent meal with a most extensive choice of wines. Definitely a place to select for that special occasion.Special Features:
- Memorable dinnerNomNomNomDined on 4/19/2014From salad to dessert, the food was outstanding. And every staff person, from the bar to the hostess to our waiter, was super-friendly and attentive. We went for a special occasion and are so glad we chose to celebrate there. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Too Much Hype, Not RecommendedMTVMVIPDined on 4/5/2014The quality of the food and quantity of the food have clearly changed over time. There was too much hype about how great the food is, but it actually fell short of our expectations. Worse, is that you pay so much for not a great meal. For $200, we could have eaten in a nice restaurant in downtown SF. The service was slow and the restaurant was not even busy. We ordered coffee, for which the waiter clearly forgot. We got tired of waiting and decided to just ask for the bill. I will never come back to this restaurant again.
- Great MealinksVIPDined on 3/26/2014Squaw Valley is pretty deserted this week, probably due to the lack of snow this year, but Plumb Jack was really hopping and now we know why. Dinner was wonderful, especially the asparagus soup poured at the table around an amazing dungeness crab cake, which was pure crab meat with a delicious sauce on the top. Not only did it look beautiful with the soup poured around it, the whole thing was special. The staff was extremely attentive and pleasant and seemed to really enjoy being there. A special chef's prefix wine accompanied dinner was being offered that night as well, but it did not interfere with the atmosphere and ambiance for the other diners like us, as a similar event at the Awhwahnee Hotel in Yosemite always does.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UncharacteristicOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/17/2014We have dined here before and are familiar with the excellent service and experience we can expect from Plumpjack properties. This dinner was so uncharacteristically disappointing. Perhaps because we are nearing the end of a slow ski season, the kitchen was a disaster. > an hr after finishing the appetizer course before the main course came out, then most of the food was cold or overly seasoned. On the plates themselves the food was uneven. Short ribs were good but the accompanying vegetables were cold. The prawns on the risotto were dried out as if they were under the heating lamp for too long, yet the risotto (too salty) was cold. The chicken was bone dry (and cold) The server was apologetic & comp'd some of the food. An OFF night!
- Disappointed -- expected moreJuJuDined on 3/8/2014Seems this has slipped since my last visit. I had a scallop dish with a sauce that totally overpowered the seafood and was almost inedible. Wanted to order a kids steak dinner as what my children were served looked and tasted a lot more appetizing that my expensive dinner. Will give it second thoughts before going back.Special Features:
- End of a perfect dayCBrownDined on 2/22/2014My wife and I were staying at the Squaw Creek Resort 2/22/14 and made reservations earlier in the week. We had one of the best meals and the service was fantastic. It was the end of a perfect day. Thanks to all the staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We really appreciate how wellOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2014We really appreciate how well our 8 year old is treated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would recommend with caution.tasarsailorDined on 2/13/2014Would recommend with caution. Food great: wine service not brilliant.. rather than ensure wine was shared equally amongst party of 6, some was poured and then the rest just dumped in one glass - thereby insinuating we needed to order another bottle. We object to such behaviour. On receipt of bill we determined what size tip we wished to give - commensurate with service - and asked for a specific amount to be charged to card. The tip included was 15% not the 20% the waiter expected. He had the audacity to say no, that was not the right amount and tell us the standard tip was 20% and that was what he would charge! This put a sour end to our experienceSpecial Features:
- no kids under 3candykaneDined on 2/13/2014Suggest Plumpjack Squaw Valley rethink allowing children 3 and under in the restaurant (cafe/bar area okay!). We reserved a table in the back corner for my Valentine Birthday dinner. We hardly ever go out to eat, and so the trip up to Tahoe from the Bay Area was really special. For the price Plumpjack charges, I should not have to worry about little ones with whom one cannot reason.....just a thought. I mean, I could have stayed home and gone to any number of nice places: Bay Wolf, Farrallon, 5th Floor, and NEVER have to worry... I understand Squaw is a resort, however, the restaurant might consider expanding the cafe/bar area to better accommodate families.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Beef Short RibOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/9/2014Restaurant was very accommodating to my gluten free needs. I ordered the Beef Short Rib with mushrooms, butternut squash and brussel sprouts. It was heavenly. all my friends tasted it and were impressed. Would love to come to this restaurant again. We received an excellent recommendation and pairing for wine. Overall, wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Always delicious2localsDined on 1/24/2014Food is always very good here and the wine list is well crafted and surprisingly well priced. Menu changes frequently and staff are friendly and knowledgeable. We think it's probably the best (and least pretentious) fine dining in the area (including Truckee).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food ok, overpricedlovemyfoodDined on 1/1/2014My daughter ordered sorlion which was fatty-rubbery. I'm guessing this was the end of a steak cut and the chef still served it although no real meat was there. My wife had the $45 fillet which was just average. No particular flavor nor super tenderness which one would expect for the top priced meal on the menu. My scallops were delicious, but unfortunately only 2 in my plate. Service and hospitality was super but given the above, I wouldn't rush back. Maybe I was just unlucky given the great reviews I read about this place.
- Excellent service. Very classyOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/27/2013Excellent service. Very classy and comfortable ambience, not like the usual après ski bar scene places. We enjoyed the food, and the desserts were probably just a little better than the entrees. The eggnog creme brûlée was particularly amazing. Get two! Have the kids order off the regular morning however, the options were pretty juvenile and not well done.Special Features:
- Excellent service by the waitressReviewDined on 12/14/2013Excellent service by the waitress and her assistants. Very friendly but not overbearing. Very attentive.Special Features:
- Simple, but deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 9/29/2013This is one of our favorite spots in the Tahoe area. The menu is simple, but very creative, and always delicious. The service is always topnotch. Try to seek out their wine dinners. Great cocktails too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant enoughPandLDined on 9/29/2013The corn bisque was delicious; the presentation of placing a huge bowl containing a few prosciutto and mushroom crumbles in the middle on the table and then pouring a tiny amount of bisque around it was amusing, especially when a nearby diner insisted on taking the bisque pitcher from the server and emptying it into her own bowl. Our entrees--roast chicken--were ordinary. Unfortunately I don't especially like fennel or tomatoes, which were the sides. Luckily the bread was warm and good. The s'more dessert was delicious. I thought the service was mediocre. There were unexplained waits, and the guy who served the bisque clearly didn't get the joke when I made a face and smiled at the way he served it. And the tables are too close together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweet spotDidaDined on 9/26/2013PlumpJack Café was a great choice for our small group. The food was fantastic - really imaginative, California-modern dishes with a lot of local ingredients worked in. The wine and beer selection was top notch. The lighting is on the dimmer, weaker side, so don't plan a working dinner there. It's the perfect place to reward yourself and others for a job well done, though!Special Features:
- Perfect.....OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/20/2013We celebrated our son's birthday, IronMan Lake Tahoe weekend and it could not have been a more pleasurable dining experience. From the hostess at the door to the bartender to the most gracious servers that attended to our every want and desire, it was wonderful. A few of our diners chose the Ono and a few selected the Pork Chop. Everything was prepared to perfection, was filled with robust flavor...... and do not miss dessert! The professionalism of the staff was commendable, making certain we were cared for without being overbearing. Truly a wonderful dining experience for a special occasion, or a "just because" everning.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice dinner experience.BuddyDined on 9/19/2013Very nice dinner experience. Savory, fresh ingredients and friendly attentive servers. Highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- Fine dining in the village at SquawmodavaDined on 9/12/2013We went here twice during our recent stay at Squaw Valley Lodge. Both times we loved the ahi poke cones!!!! They're a definite must. I had the ono which was just delicious. We were treated to a gorgeous lightning/thunder show during dinner…SUPER FUN!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loudJoyceDined on 9/6/2013We were looking for more of a quiet ambiance to relax and enjoy a nice meal and good bottle of wine. The tables are very close together to the point of uncomfortable. We are not big people and we felt as if we were sitting on top of each other. As a party of four the waiter was trying to speak to us from behind our backs as to address the table properly his back would have been on the table next to us. We could not understand anything he said nor could we hear him. Although sitting close the noise level was so high you could not have a conversation. The food was good but hard to enjoy with the frantic level of sound around you. We would not go back.
- The sourdough wheat breadWiedpatchDined on 8/31/2013The sourdough wheat bread was amazing. The tasting menu was fabulous & it was nice to have the option of only purchasing the food tasting. We would definately go back & recommend Plumpjack to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special event farm to tablespecialDined on 8/15/2013chef and wine maker were great farmer was disappointing as she didn t get up and talk before the groupSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We go there for special moments2fromdonnerDined on 8/3/2013We go there for special moments we seem to look foward to the idea that we both are once again returning. The meals are always great and the wine list sometime beats what I might have under my arm. Not that i bring a non-contender wine it's just I find a wine that is marked up reasonably and I have special memories tied to it.Special Features:
- overratedOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/25/2013Booked this restaurant based on guidebook reviews and other websites. Had high expectations. Although the restaurant itself is lovely, the combination of having an indifferent waiter and overcooking the fish (ono), left us wanting. I commented on the fish appearing to be over-cooked when the waiter set it down and he replied, "it is a meaty fish". He never checked back to see how we liked our food. The fish was indeed prepared medium well (which ruins a fish) so when he picked up our plate which had at least half the fish remaining, I confirmed it was over -cooked. After he conferred with the chef, he took it off the bill. So the restaurant did the right thing, but try Stella's or Wolfdale instead - both were outstanding.Special Features:
- A bit fancy and excellent foodFoodieDined on 7/25/2013We thought it was a bit fancy for our taste but the food was outstanding. The presentation was great and it was obvious that each dish was made with the freshest ingredients. They also mix grains and textures that made each dish delicious. The polenta stuffed squash flowers were fantastic, the fish was cooked perfectly and nothing was I oversalted. The home made marsh mellows with chocolate moussse was unforgettable. I'd go back for a special occasion because of the ambience and it was pricey. Wonderful restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't miss it!GoodnightoutDined on 6/23/2013Plumpjack can't be beat - service, ambiance, food - all receive 5 star rating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.