Plume at the Jefferson Hotel
1200 16th Street NW
Washington, DC 20036Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Plume at the Jefferson Hotel
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.plumedc.com/
- Phone: (202) 448-2300
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - :Saturday: 6:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Plume at the Jefferson Hotel
One of the finest restaurants in the capital and a recipient of five stars from Forbes Travel Guide, Plume serves as a discreet and elegant backdrop to the artistry of our culinary team. Choose a cozy nook or a table by our inviting fireplace as you savor classic dishes expertly executed with lighter, contemporary finishing touches that appeal to today’s enlightened palates. Plume’s wine list spans more than a dozen nationalities and dates back to a rare 1720 Borges Madeira. Among the more than 50 vintages are those Jefferson himself enjoyed in his time as well as newer wines he might select were he alive today.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Plume at the Jefferson Hotel - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Plume at the Jefferson Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (44)romantic (38)notable wine list (37)fit for foodies (33)neighborhood gem (9)vibrant bar scene (3)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (2)good for groups (2)hot spot (2)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Lovely Thanksgiving Dinnertm2000VIPDined on 11/27/2014Our family enjoyed a lovely Thanksgiving dinner at Plume. Excellent service, beautiful room (table next to fireplace to take off the chill), purse stools (cute) and wonderful food. Definitely a special occasion restaurant for a memorable celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant we have been to.EricDined on 11/21/2014They catered to every need on the night of my engagement to my now fiancé. They helped me get to the Jefferson library to pop the question and then served us champagne after she said yes. Best night of my life. The food was excellent and made you feel very privileged to be able to dine this way. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stellar ServicepingpangDined on 11/21/2014Food was wonderful. Service was Stellar. We were high maintenance as included in our foursome, couple of food restrictions, but the food and service were seamlessly adjusted to meet their needs. Our lead server Christian was personable and made us feel at home.Our Salmon and Truffle dish where also served and followed by a knowledgeable presentation done tableside by the maitre D', Our evening ended with a tour. Great nightSpecial Features:
- Was expecting a lot more...GregDCDined on 11/14/2014The space itself is beautiful and is a great for a very nice fine dining experience. Like a previous review, ask to be seated in the dining room not in the patio area. Everything was great, service, space, ambiance, etc, but the main course of the fixed menu was not up to par for this caliber restaurant. They did recover with some great desserts, but not enough to wow my wife and i. For the money, I'd go to Restaurant Eve or Maestro (if it was still around) for a great fine dining experience. Just not wow'ed like I was expecting, for the expense of dining there the food should be very close to perfect.Special Features:
- Celebrating my 50thRtinocVIPDined on 11/14/2014We spent last weekend in DC and one of the highlights of the trip was our dinner at Plume. It is very classic a classy décor. Service is impeccable. The are some unusual choices like pheasant, quail. My husband had the pheasant and loved it. My son was very happy with his steak. It was a fantastic and unforgettable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great wine, decent food.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/13/2014Plume was a lovely evening for a quiet, romantic, dinner. The ambiance was lovely and very attentive hostess. Service started out excellent but got a bit slow toward the end of the evening. We did the wine pairing and it was outstanding. Superb selection, beautiful wines and they paired amazingly well with the food to really enhance both wine and food. The food was good, but I wasn't blown away, I found the prices to be a tad high for the food ingenuity and quality. I came because I heard that the sommelier was outstanding and she did NOT disappoint. We did the premium wine pairing and found that to be worth the money spent.Special Features:
- KD468VIPDined on 11/8/2014I was very disappointed in our evening at Plume. We were not seated in the lovely dining room, but rather, in a chilly and drafty porch-like corridor. PLEASE BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR SEATING BEFORE YOU CONFIRM. The food was good, but not enough to make up for the lack of ambiance.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/8/2014My husband and I were looking forward to dining at Plume. It was part of the reason I chose The Jefferson for our visit to DC. Sadly, the food was disappointing. We had the tasting menu, with wine pairing. There is no a la carte option. The foie gras was cold and unpleasant. The consumme tasted like it came from a can. Apart from dessert, the rest of the meal wasn't much better. The staff was very pleasant and the room is beautifully furnished. For the price, this was very disappointing.
- Excellent!EAEADined on 11/1/2014Everything was perfect! Rare combination of Excellent food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- filippo47VIPDined on 10/23/2014Always a great pleasure to dine at Plume when we are in D.C. The best foie gras as usual, wonderful and attentive service without being intrusive, elegant surroundings, a class act.Special Features:
- HumeDined on 10/23/2014Superb food, service, and decor, including table clothes. WOULD have been quiet except for a middle size group (office?) that occasionally became a little raucous.Special Features:
- Artistry in actionRobertDined on 10/21/2014I usually avoid restaurants in hotels, but, despite the cost, this one was worth it. On par with the best in the country. The entrees were not too exotic, nor blending of ingredients cutting edge, but the dishes were artistic, ingredients were fresh and flavors and aromas of each ingredient poppingly evident. And, this was not the champagne or wine talking!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal ever!notafoodiebutnowwantbeoneDined on 10/18/2014My husband and I celebrated our 20 year wedding anniversary here and it was the best meal I've ever had in my entire life. Every bite of every dish was so alarmingly tasty with a combination of flavors that is truly a culinary sensory experience. We went for the prix fixe instead of the tastings menu because I was a little leery of some of the things like sea urchin and pheasant… however, after eating the most amazing meal ever, I would love to go back and taste whatever the chef prepares even if it's something I normally wouldn't eat. The desserts were by far the most unusual and wonderful things I've ever tasted as were every other bite of every other course.Special Features:
- Gourmet experience, start to endJkfuelDined on 10/17/2014Incredible service, food and ambiance - at a high price but worth every pennySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection!dineoutoftenDined on 10/16/2014Without doubt, Plume was one of the best dining experiences that my wife and I have ever had. It is on the order of the grand restaurants of a previous age. Plume excels in every area that every restaurant should excel. Perfect ambiance and decor, perfect service, and absolutely stunning food. We have been fortunate to dine at some of the top restaurants in the United States as well as in England, France, and Italy. Plume is easily in the top three at which we have ever dined.. If you ever want to experience dining as it was intended to be, Plume is the placeSpecial Features:
- Plume at the JeffersongoddessofgoldDined on 10/15/2014The restaurant decor is lovely right down to the silverware. Exceptional service - attentive but not overbearing. Crab risotto was the best dish I ever ate in D.C. There is a lot of food, so don't go unless you are prepared to eat a lot and stay for a long dinner. Choices are only between a fixed price or a tasting menu - no a la carte options. Only complaint - I would have enjoyed some more vegetables with the dinner - sides are not an option. I had the bison entree which was perfectly prepared but came with only teeny tiny bits of vegetables. Would have loved to have had some more veg/sides with the meat or the option of ordering a side. Desserts were spectacular. Expensive but worth it.Special Features:
- Plume Reigns!HilarySDined on 10/10/2014We make a point to spend an evening at Plume every time we visit Washington. From the moment you arrive, the staff showers you with attention and anticipates your every need. From the flowers on the table to the tuffet for your handbag, there is no detail overlooked. The dining room is so quiet and romantic that you forget others are there. The food is incredible; perfectly prepared and artfully presented. Plume is a very rare gem and ranks at the top of our best dining experiences again and again. Cocktails at Quill before dinner are a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely PlumeClifton12VIPDined on 10/9/2014The struggle through DC traffic was worth the delicious dinner we had at Plume. I love the decor and the layout of the restaurant affords privacy. Our server was fantastic! Very helpful in describing the ingredients of the entrees and offered suggestions which were great! The blue crab risotto was perfect as was the lamb. It's impossible to suggest any improvements for Plume!Special Features:
- Special EveningluvgreatfoodDined on 10/7/2014Our experience was exceptional. It made a birthday celebration for my best friend a truly memorable event!Special Features:
- extraordinaryMixedVIPDined on 10/3/2014We chose to spend out wedding anniversary here at Plume this year. Everything was perfect- actually Perfect! i am still framing about the drinks - a Chopin vodka gimlet and a small batch bourbon...the food is delicious, the service is attentive yet not cloying. not to miss- Beef tartare, scallops, Dover Sole, cheese cart and the little truffles they bring you at the conclusion. My husband and i will be back. -Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!GK27Dined on 10/1/2014We came back to the Jefferson (and Plume) having last visited Washington DC just after the hotel reopened. Plume was great then and it remains so. The service was just as attentive and the food still magnificent. It's great to see that the high standards set on opening have been maintained.Special Features:
- Too many superlatives to note!!!JaketheSnakeDined on 9/27/2014Plume knocked it out of the park on our first visit. Though we have meant to patronize this location for years, we finally made it after some of our all-time favorites closed and the newcomers did not "match up" to our expectations. From the pre-dinner cocktail in the Quill Bar (with outstanding service by Michael), to the end of the evening's meal, everything was perfect. Boone (the m'd) took good care of our every need. Our server, Fakhre, anticipated our every need and each course of the meal was excellent. Can't recommend this place enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still First RateDEM126VIPDined on 9/20/2014Plume continues to be a first rate restaurant on all levels. The food and service were top notch. We had the tasting menu with the wine pairing....delicious! The staff was very knowledgeable about the food and the wine. We were celebrating a birthday which they acknowledged! Thanks for a wonderful evening!Special Features:
- PlumeConventiontravellerDined on 9/16/2014After finding it (no signs), the welcoming was wery warmful. We were placed on sofa, which actually in the begining did not felt comfortably but later you got used to it. Service was fast and very proffessional, litlte bit too serious. Food was great, champange was outstanding. A little disappointment with desert- they try to do many things in it (this goes for all restaurants these days). Overall, best restaurant I visited in my stay in DC. I can highly recommend this. And the color scheme in a restaurant was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real treat!SuzieDined on 9/13/2014Great service, delicious food, and great ambience. The only available prix-fix/tasting menu options makes it pricey (along with the wine list) but well worth to celebrate a special occasion!Special Features:
- One of the best in WashingtondiningdancerVIPDined on 9/13/2014Dining at the Plume is more than just a meal... it's an experience! Everything from the little stool they bring out for your purse, to the spectacular and creative prix fixe menu, stellar wine list, and impeccable service make this the perfect spot for a special occasion. I will definitely be back for the next celebrator dinner!Special Features:
- Elegant diningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/2/2014Both the food and the service at this excellent restaurant could not have been better. It is hard too find a genuinely elegant, gracious restaurant. Plume is one of the best we have ever discovered. And the wine list is splendid!Special Features:
- Exquisite!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014We were welcomed to the dining experience as soon as we stepped foot into the hotel. The service, the environment, the food, and the wine list -- all were truly wonderful. It was an intimate evening with good friends - where we could easily have a conversation and enjoy our food at the same time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food4mercustVIPDined on 8/6/2014The desserts were the best I have ever had. Especially the pre-dessert. I was sorry that I could not do the tasting menu because I do not eat meat, only fish and vegetables and the server said that could not be accommodated. Other fine restaurants have made such adjustments. The other menu offered me lots of choices, however and my salmon and scallops were wonderful. I felt like there were too many servers but had an unusual experience. I think I wished for a lemon but must have mentioned it quietly to my partner, and voila, one appeared. Now that is service!Special Features:
- The following 675 reviews are from the Plume at the Jefferson Hotel reviews archive.
- Beautiful space - intrusive serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/29/2014I had dinner at 9pm on a Wednesday. The restaurant was pretty empty. The space itself is nice, but was so empty and the staff was so intrusive, the ambiance was far from ideal. It was quiet, and the food was good. If you're looking for a nice meal, and very private experience, this might be your spot. If you want something a little more lively, there are plenty of other good options in the city. Perhaps it's different for brunch.... but I won't be back.
- Outstanding!SusieVIPDined on 7/29/2014Everything was outstanding! From the excellent and very attentive staff and service, to the excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbBillWDined on 7/23/2014My second visit this year. As before, a superior dining experience with superlative service. Worthy of any customer dinner or special family occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- phenomenalOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/19/2014Words cannot do this restaurant justice... they had everything from a chair for my purse to complimentary pre-dessert AND post-dessert chocolates. The staff was outstanding and I will definitely be coming back again!Special Features:
- Plume is Sophisticated and SpecialGradyDined on 7/16/2014I've dined at Plume several times now and always enjoy it. The food is very good and the wine list impressive. However, it is the beautiful room and lighting that make dining here so special. I highly recommend, especially if you need a meal to impress someone!Special Features:
- Best Fine Dining ExperienceFineDiningTraveller12345Dined on 7/15/2014I cannot overstate just how exquisite this dining experience was. The food was phenomenal, but what made the night was the staff. Talk about professional and accommodating. All of the staff were so kind and knowledgable, it was by far one of the best dining experiences of my life. This is coming from someone to travels around the nation and frequents fine dining estsblishments.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visitdropnhDined on 7/11/2014First visit. Seated in a small area with only one other table which was very romantic. Seated immediately. Staff was very efficient and polite. They kept coming to the table to pour wine or fill the water glasses or ask how was everything. Then our entree was served and everyone disappeared . I wanted a salt cellar but there was no one to ask. Never got it. The portions were typically small. Some of the food was really good, some not so much. A number of unusual taste combinations. It was a very expensive meal. Overall we enjoyed the experience. We will probably go back some day, but not soon.Special Features:
- Great Choice for Special OccationsSummerDinerDined on 7/3/2014We enjoyed the wonderful service and atmosphere at Plume. It exceeded expectations without being pretentious or old fashioned. The sommelier was so personable and picked out a fantastic red wine that complemented my dinner. My husband is unable to eat dairy and the menu worked well for him with a small modification to the main course and dessert. The staff was very knowledgeable about the menu ingredients and appropriate substitutions. We would definitely return for a future special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Plume so good, and yetTheZmanVIPDined on 7/3/2014Four of us thoroughly enjoyed our first visits to Plume except for one thing. The setting in the wonderful Jefferson Hotel is lovely and very conducive to a romantic dinner or an intimate dinner with wonderful conversation. The wine list is stunning and there are plenty of very good wines at all price points. The service is impeccable, both courteous and helpful. Everyone's food was well conceived, prepared and presented, except for my filet. After excruciatingly detailed instruction, twice, my steak was over-cooked. We all agreed we would go back. I will order the scallops.Special Features:
- Great to experience...if only onceBafflesDined on 6/28/2014Incredible ambiance and an outstanding wait staff. The food is on the unique side but the waiter was full of great recommendations and thoughts about each course to help us chose. The wine list is full of out of this world wines but most are over $750 a bottle which, at least for us, was well outside our price range. Settled for a $150 half bottle of Bordeaux that was good but not perfect. I loved the bison and my date loved the lobster. You certainly will not leave hungry, the number of courses brought are more than filling. Many reviews have raved about the bread but I thought is was good but not to die for. They seated us in an alcove that was quiet, private and perfect.Special Features:
- Not out of the worldwirywizzVIPDined on 6/28/2014The food was good but I expected the wow factor, we both had the tasting menu.Special Features: