Plume at the Jefferson Hotel
1200 16th Street NW
Washington, DC 20036Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Plume at the Jefferson Hotel
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.plumedc.com/
- Phone: (202) 448-2300
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - :Saturday: 6:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Plume at the Jefferson Hotel
One of the finest restaurants in the capital and a recipient of five stars from Forbes Travel Guide, Plume serves as a discreet and elegant backdrop to the artistry of our culinary team. Choose a cozy nook or a table by our inviting fireplace as you savor classic dishes expertly executed with lighter, contemporary finishing touches that appeal to today’s enlightened palates. Plume’s wine list spans more than a dozen nationalities and dates back to a rare 1720 Borges Madeira. Among the more than 50 vintages are those Jefferson himself enjoyed in his time as well as newer wines he might select were he alive today.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Plume at the Jefferson Hotel - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Plume at the Jefferson Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (44)notable wine list (37)romantic (37)fit for foodies (33)neighborhood gem (8)vibrant bar scene (3)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (2)good for groups (2)hot spot (2)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great Food but a Bit PriceyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2013If you want to go to a really great place for a special occasion, I would highly recommend Plume. Be prepared for a special experience tasting some unusual food preparation with a wonderful surprise for the pallet. I went there with my fiance for a special New Year's Eve dinner. The price was set for dinner that evening so you had to be prepared to spend a little more than usual to dine there. With tax and tip, the dinner for two came to $533, after enjoying one bottle of moderately-priced wine with the meal. The only complaint I had was that the confirmation email from Plume suggested a parking garage down the street, which we used; then, we found out that they offered free valet parking - something that was not in their email.Special Features:
- Outstanding in every wayItWasMehVIPDined on 12/28/2013The room is beautiful and very refined. Perfect for a special event, romantic evening, or date night. The food is outstanding. Fresh local ingredients prepared in a straightforward way, but with interesting combinations of ingredients. Nothing too fussy or cute; you won't find silly food towers or "deconstructed" mysteries on your plate. The wine list has great options across a range of prices, including terrific wines by the half bottle. By all means, take advantage of the very friendly and knowledgeable sommelier. I can't recommend Plume highly enough. By comparison, we had dinner the next night at 1789, which is also highly rated, but we found it a trifle disappointing after Plume. (Sloppy service and over-salted food.).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/28/2013One has an expectation when dining in a restaurant with this reputation. The food was just good. We expected to be wowed and we weren't. Not worth the money !Special Features:
- Great place for a special nightOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/28/2013Although the menu is a bit limited, there is a good range of options and an amazing wine list. My husband's crab risotto appetizer was outstanding; my soup was very good but not special. I had an excellent duck entrée, but the curry sauce lacked character ; my husband really loved his lobster thermador. The lemon profiteroles (and I usually am not a big profiterole fan) were exceptional. The meal was expensive, but a couple of amuse=bouches and chocolates were included. The ambience is lovely, and the service could not be better - friendly but very attentive. (The water glasses never got close to being empty), and the pace of the dinner was perfect. We find that in many restaurants the service is either too slow or too fast. Not here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit or Miss, But ExpensiveEricDined on 12/28/2013My wife and I each order from the prix fixe menu with an additional wine pairing. I had octopus carpaccio and sea bass. The carpaccio was thin round slices of the tentacles. There was lots of greens covering the carpaccio. It was just OK, not like a nice beef carpaccio. I made a mistake in ordering sea bass. I was thinking of Chilean sea bass, which is usually light and flakey. This was a thick cut and rather strong tasting. Afterwards, I did some research and discovered that "sea bass" is a term that covers a lot of different species. The next night we ate out at a Greek restaurant in Old Town Alexandria and I ordered barramundi (also called sea bass), which was thin, flakey and declicion. My wife started with a nice meal. No room.Special Features:
- Top Of The ClassNickBDined on 12/27/2013An elegant restaurant in The Jefferson Hotel right down the street from the White House. My spouse and I chose Plume as a "special night out" during a recent stay in DC. Plume should have been excellent, but we were seated at a table for two at the back of the room closest to the kitchen and another door that led into the hotel that had entirely too much commotion and noise coming from the restaurant staff. We felt continuously distracted from the food, which was thoughtfully prepared by Plume's chef. As such, the price of our meal was not commensurate with our overall experience. I think staff and service at restaurants like Plume should be as graceful as they are discreet. BTW, the wine steward knew his stuff and was outstanding!Special Features:
- The service was very poor---weGeorgeDined on 12/25/2013The service was very poor---we waited for over 30 minutes for waitstaff to show up at our table. No recognition given to my food allergy although I had given written notice of such.
- Christmas DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/25/2013Plume's location was conveniently located. We we accommodated despite arriving 30 min before our reservation and greeted by a friendly staff who took our coats. The seating was quiet, intimate, and romantic. The menu was above average for Christmas dinner with a fish, beef, or chicken option. The roasted chicken dinner was outstanding in a truffle mushroom jus. However, I was not impressive with the dessert option which offered apple cobbler which presented more like an apple crisp. The portions were ample leaving a little snack for later. However the staff mixed up the take home bag and I ended up with someone's leftovers. I would go again but I expected more for a Christmas dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marvelous!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/25/2013The Plume and the Jefferson Hotel were both outstanding for our Christmas Dinner...Everything was 5 star and just wonderful. Beautiful place, beautiful service. I think I will make reservations for next year.Special Features:
- DISSAPOINTMENT!DaveDined on 12/25/2013Expected a wonderful XMAS day dinner per all the hype on the internet.....spouse and myself received a poor version of 'local meat' which was fatty and unseasoned......$7 for a cup of dishwater coffee......really poor....grossly overpriced given the quality of the food....a very dissapointing and costly dinner
- DisappointingJockoRambiniDined on 12/25/2013Every time I dine here, there are some egregious flaws and this time was no different. XMAS dinner. The gougeres were incredible and great with rose champagne. The foie gras terrine was generous and great with apple chutney as well as a South African dessert wine. Main course was an incredibly disappointing "prime rib." More like a grilled thin minuet rib eye steak with ho hum vegetables. The sommelier never showed up and the waiter tried to foist a tannic Cab on us. I wanted the sommelier. Never showed up and had to settle for an OK Sirah. Dessert was good but not incredible. Wine list here is extensive but prices are twice the price and any other fine dining place in DC. Some good and some meh. Not worth the price paid.Special Features:
- Great Christmas menulesaDined on 12/25/2013The food choice was superb. The taste and plating was excellent. We were very pleased with the service and the day.Special Features:
- Exquisite Dining RoomDiningbirdVIPDined on 12/24/2013Exquisite Intimate Dining Room with exemplary service, and fabulous cuisine. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingChefWhoDinesOutVIPDined on 12/20/2013I really wanted to like Plume. I was looking forward to the night and the food. Unfortunately, the only thing Plume really has going for it is the wine list. We did the $95 dollar prix fixe menu, which had some really great options on it. That being said, the food just did not live up to my expectations. I started with the foie gras terrine. It lacked any character or complexity. My husband's seafood starter was ok, but nothing exceptional. My entree of veal breast promised a lot but didn't deliver. My husband had the steak and it was nothing special at all. In regards to ambiance, there was none to speak of. There was absolutely no music, and the service was prompt but impersonal and cold, even pretentious.Special Features:
- Super ServiceFredDined on 12/18/2013We have eaten in fine restaurants for more than 50 years but have never experienced the high level of service we enjoyed at Plume!. Wine and water topped off whenever possible. Someone always at hand to answer a question or provide any service requested. Never intrusive, always helpful. Doormen opened both doors of our car as we arrived at convenient valet parking. Immediately greeted by maitre de and escorted to table. questions about menu and wine list fully answered and requested advice offered. paying the bill automatically brought pr car to the front door waiting for us as we left. Food and wine were excellent but have been equaled elsewhare, but never the service. Yes, you pay for it but it najes fir a truly memorable evening,Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/17/2013My all time favorite restaurant...I think it's even better that the Inn at Little Washington. And i loved that place...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Christmas DinnerMikeBDined on 12/14/2013We ordered the chefs tasting menu with the premier wine paring and we were absolutely astounded. All the food was prepared fresh and perfectly. The wine parings were quite special and the sommelier came to explain each one (and made sure to know what we ordered so as to explain how it would pair with the specific food item - he didn't just talk about the wine). It can be a bit expensive but for a Christmas special occasion it was worth every cent.Special Features:
- Everything was a but offPlg817Dined on 12/7/2013Bread was stale, portions were small, food was bland, dessert was too rich. Nice ambiance for Xmas time and a nice excuse to get dressed up but way overpriced and left hungry. If you do decide to go I would recommend you order the heartier food so you don't leave hungry. The duck was very good and the profiteroles were delicious. The ahi tuna tasted good and the presentation was lovely but not the best I've had. My scallops came with half of one Brussels sprout. I wouldn't go back with so many better options in DC.Special Features:
- Fine DiningMarkVIPDined on 12/7/2013Wonderful evening of romantic dining! Wine pairings where excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Food with Great PortionsexcellentplumageDined on 12/7/2013My wife and I came here for a romantic, special evening. We found the food to be absolutely delicious. There were a lot of flavors and textures to the dishes. Presentation and service were excellent. We left completely stuffed and delighted. From beginning to end, this was a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Presentation and Service over foodFoodieVIPDined on 12/6/2013We did the tasting menu and it was profoundly disappointing. No dishes were bad by any means but nothing was memorable or exciting and as a whole the dishes were all bland. Somehow even a dish with truffles, foie gras, and poached duck egg was rich but uncomplex and bland. We did have fantastic pairings and service but that is not enough to make us go back. Highly recommend Marcel's over Plume or 2941 restaurant out in Northern VA. I assume its service and decor are the reason it is rated so highly.Special Features:
- The Last Great Elegant RestaurantRapidanBearDined on 12/3/2013This was the best restaurant service I have seen in many years. It is classically elegant in both service and setting, with very good food and a very impressive wine list. Wonderful!Special Features:
- Excellent food, exceptionalMonicaVIPDined on 11/16/2013Excellent food, exceptional wine list, outstanding serviceSpecial Features:
- Food was excellent; the servingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/16/2013Food was excellent; the serving staff was knowledgeable about the dishes; service was attentive and prompt without being intrusive. The wines we had by the glass were not known to us but were very good and complementary to the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special timeOct13Dined on 11/16/2013The Plume is a very well appointed and special place. The staff is very attentive to guest needs. Menu is excedllent with presentation spot on. Desserts are exceptional and special requests are taken with a smile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingJjofArlingtonDined on 11/15/2013First course was non-memorable. My wife had the dover sole which was a $20 upcharge over the $100 prix fix. The dover sole was great but $120 for Dover Sole is a bit much. I had the beef which was good but again not memorable. The cheese plate was amazing. All in all we felt like it was good but not worth the money.Special Features:
- ExceptionalWillieVIPDined on 11/12/2013One of the best dining experiences we have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less than StellarunhappyDined on 11/9/2013We were excited to visit Plume which had gotten such great reviews. At first, it was just as we expected--we got the tasting menu and things started off well. Sommelier came over to pour paired wine, explaining why it had been chosen and the amuse bouche was delicious. First course, same. By the second course, we waited an unusually long time. Third course took forever, waiter poured wine, all going downhill. By the end of the evening, we had to grab the water boy to ask that someone please just bring our bill. We had been sitting there after finishing the dessert course while staff went back and forth (our waiter included) and no one even glancing to see how we were doing. The total tab was over $400. Hope we just hit a bad night!
- No surprisesMLCWVIPDined on 11/9/2013A quality restaurant with service to match. Exceptional service and an overall excellent dining experience.Special Features:
- Good, not Great -- DisappointingMattSturDined on 11/8/2013After reading all the reviews, perhaps we had built Plume up too much in our minds. It didn't meet expectations at all, in any category. Contrary to a professional reviewer's opinion, we were not transported to Paris, unless it was Paris, Texas. The service was spotty. When we asked about the crab risotto, the waiter said, "it's risotto," -- no further explanation. When we asked for more coffee for the table, we were brought a small pot with enough for one cup. The cheese tray was the most disappointing. Based on reviews we were expecting to be amazed. We asked for a selection for a table of four. We were given a huge white plate with four small, i.e. tiny, pieces of cheese with no embellishments. At $900 for four, we won't be back.
- Over ratedKitshozDined on 11/2/2013I was really looking forward to our meal at Plume. We were seated in a small area off the main area which was quite chilly - I had to put my pashmina on. We decided to opt for the tasting menu with wine. The food was of a high standard and the wines excellent. The service however let the side down. The sommelier, who we thought would be introducing the wines , only brought 2 of the wines. One of the other 5 staff brought the rest and we couldn't understand what he was saying. Too quietly spoken and obviously recited parrot fashion ! One of the other waiters was foreign and we couldn't understand him because of his heavy accent. I have enjoyed fine dining all over the world but Plume was pretentious.Special Features:
- Great dining experiencejsmeekDined on 11/1/2013My wife and I dined here celebrating her birthday. We had been here before for brunch and tea, but this was our first dinner experience. I feel like there are a lot of mixed reviews about Plume, so my expectations weren't that high. I will say, though, that I was pleasantly surprised. We ordered off the $95 menu each getting an appetizer, main course, and dessert. My wife got the heirloom tomatoes and the thai curry duck, which were delicious. I was expecting the duck to be overwhelmed by the curry, but it was very subtle and what I felt was the right amount. I got the duo of hamachi tataki and tartare and the rabbit tasting both of which were also delicious. For a special occasion, we would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic and a special treatmikeDined on 10/31/2013The food for every course was outstanding. The service was great. One of the best wine lists anywhere. Knowledgable and friendly staff. A real treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousEverJenDined on 10/29/2013We had the most stunning, romantic meal at Plume. The cheese board was out of this world, and the whole meal was just amazing. To top it off I proposed during dessert to my girlfriend and she said yes! :-) Just a perfect eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet eleganceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/29/2013Beautiful intimate dining room. Perfect for whispered conversations in a setting where you can seriously DINE. with excellent serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellant Food, Wine and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/25/2013What a wonderful evening. The Maitre d' Boone was awesome. Christian, the Captain did an amazing job of taking care of all our needs and the Sommelier, Michael paired our food with the most wonderful wines. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun to dress upKKAmDined on 10/25/2013This was a great experience for two tourists. It was a lot of fun to go to a traditional French restaurant with top notch food and service. We enjoy everything about our evening and didn't think the $350 tab was too outrageous for such a nice experience (we had 2 glasses of champagne, 1 bottle of wine + 1 dessert). My scallops were so delicious I could've licked the plate clean. The chocolates to take home were the icing on the cake.Special Features:
- Everything you'd expectKaz249VIPDined on 10/24/2013Wonderful dinner. Fancy but approachable. Great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectfilippo47VIPDined on 10/24/2013I've been to Plume several times and dinner was always great, but this time it was more than that. From the foie gras poele' that the chef agreed to make for us even if it was not on the menu to the Dover sole to the incredible desserts, everything was just perfect. The service, as always, is professional without being neither stuffy nor too friendly, the ambiance warm and soothing. Every time I come to DC I make a point of having dinner at Plume. So should everybody else.Special Features:
- Classy Spot to DineBSmithDined on 10/23/2013If you have a romantic evening you are trying to plan you can't go wrong. Lots of selections to choose from with their prix fixe menu. They include the chef's daily amuse bouche, appetizer, entree, pre-dessert, dessert, and a petit fours on the way out. Very attentive service and they even made my girlfriend's dessert extra special by acknowledging the note I put on the open table reservation that it was her birthday. We were going to walk over to Quill for a few cocktails (that was the plan) but my girl was full and getting tired so we left. We did walk over to see the lounge and bar area at Quill which looked very cozy would have been nice to enjoy a few drinks and a cigar. I would come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.