40 Belden Place
San Francisco, CA 94104Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ploufsf.com/
- Phone: (415) 986-6491
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday -Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm and Sunday 5.30 pm-10 pm;
Happy hour Monday-Friday 2:30 pm - 6.30 pm on the patio and at the bar from 6.30 pm till close.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Pay with OpenTable,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, French
- Executive Chef: Mark Papedis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Buy outs are available. Please contact the restaurant for details.
- Private Party Contact: Victoria Garmash 4159866491x
- Special Events: Join Plouf Bistro for special evenings such as New Years Eve, Valentine's Day and Bastille Day (14th of July). Reservations are highly recommended!
A word from Plouf
Plouf has terrace seating with heat lamps and a canopy. There are bistro style seating and an indoor fireplace. We have a 2-course Lunch Prix Fixe for $22 (Soup/Salad and Mussels) and a 3-course Dinner Prix Fixe $30 (Soup/Salad, Mussels and Dessert)Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Plouf reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (52)fit for foodies (35)neighborhood gem (32)good for groups (25)great for lunch (18)romantic (15)special occasion (13)hot spot (10)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (6)notable wine list (6)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (2)Show More
- OK, but not GreatTaddDined on 4/26/2014The restaurant is plain and very noisy. The main course was nicely prepared and presented, but the salad was over-dressed. Overall the menu choices were somewhat disappointing for a restaurant billed as French, although there was an abundant variety of mussel preparations.
- Seafood heavenChrisDined on 4/24/2014I have been to Plouf since it opened and it has remained consistently good. Vibrant restaurant, reasonable prices, excellent mussels. The other seafood options are also delicious. I will keep coming back to Plouf.Special Features:
- InconsistentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/17/2014Great environment and flavors but slow service and inconsistent food. The drinks arrived after our food was delivered.
- California Frenchluv2eatDined on 4/17/2014I went for a business lunch. The location is very cool in an alleyway with several other restaurants. It's listed as French but I didn't see any classic French dishes on the menu, it was very pseudo-french but the food was good and so was the service. The fries were served in these cute little caldrons that are adorable! And, they were cooked to perfection. They also have a huge mussel menu, we didn't order any, but they looked pretty popular. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerrificOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/12/2014Plouf is a funny name with serious food and a must if love Mussels and other great French fare! Great wait staff and bar tenders!!Special Features:
- Quality downAlanVIPDined on 4/2/2014I have been going to Plouf for years and have always loved the ambience and location in Belden Lane in the financial district. I have had some excellent meals there. However, over my last few visits, I have noticed a decline in quality and an increase in prices, and I'm not sure I'll be back. The fish and chips, which used to be one of my favorite dishes, is now downright unappetizing -- a huge slab of greasy, overcooked batter surrounding a soggy, hapless piece of fish (I also prefer my fish and chips to come in 2-3 pieces of fish, not one big hunk). The asparagus salad was ok, but it seemed indifferently made -- and also a bit soggy -- and at $12 not worth the price. And the waiter was charmless.Special Features:
- A nice, unassuming littleWaltVIPDined on 3/31/2014A nice, unassuming little gem tucked away in an alley--as seems to be the case with so many of San Francisco's better culinary finds. Their Butter Fish and variety of mussels are two options well worth considering...often. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable Business lunchLisaDined on 3/31/2014Second visit with clients and still impressed. Good variety of lunch selections. We ordered 4 different items and all were delicious. Attentive, but not overbearing, wait staff. Great location with lots of old SF charm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mussels and Frites Were Below theirRegularDinerVIPDined on 3/22/2014Yep, mussels were small, though all were open, and not as nice as those I had at Bambino's the other night. Frites were soggy and awful. Just a few weeks ago at Plouf, I had nice mussels and frites. The Plouf Mussels sauce was wonderful as always, though it was disappointing that the frites were not nice and crispy. Fortunately,, there was some (cold) bread (which I had to ask for). Folks, it takes very little effort to warm the bread even if serving before serving the food. It is a warming touch for butter and before a nice meal. Cocktails and wine were great. In short, don't short on quality on mussels and frites!!!! Cheers.Special Features:
- A diamond in the rough....MurgieDined on 3/17/2014I love Plouf and the sea life ambience....and they serve the best mussels in all of northern california...love the mussels mariniere...tre superb! MurgieSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly DinnerPeggyHDined on 3/14/2014Food was great, beautiful night so we were able to sit outside. Staff a little slow at times, but the place seemd pretty busy.Special Features:
- Mussel loverFoodie4meDined on 3/10/2014This time the mussels didn't measure up. They weren't fresh and were tiny like a size of a peanut. I hope it was just an off day.Special Features:
- Touristy and averagedcbandorVIPDined on 3/5/2014Went with a group of 6 from the office. Half the tables are outdoors, under a tent. Ours was 3 two-tops pulled together, but the ground was slanted. Waiter moves us to a different area after a water glass tipped and folded the entire table - gravity. Burgers were fine, mussels were dull, seafood okay. Good desserts. Restaurant participates in OpenTable payments - you can pay from the app and not receive a check. Just tap and leave. Pretty cool.
- food was good; services were so sosandraDined on 3/4/2014I have been to plouf a couple of times. Food was excellent. The last visit was for a coworker'd farewell, the services were below par. The wait person had no smile on her face. I felt she was probably unhappy that we had a reservation for 10 but only 6 showed up. I felt unwelcome. =(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yea for opentable gift certificatesOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 2/26/2014yea for opentable gift certificates! this has been a lunch favorite for years. i'm still amazed many people don't know about belden lane and all the great restaurants. the steak frites is amazing! the steak serving is about 2x the recommended serving size, and the frites are always superb. be sure to ask for aöli. the only hiccup was the server missed my friend's request for clams with her mussels. seriously, that's the only issue i've ever experienced here. we were too stuffed for dessert, but i remember they were really, really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wait Staff Makes The MealtrouperDined on 2/25/2014With a variety of interesting offerings on the menu we had to look to our server for guidance. His recommendations were spot on. When we asked for a Pinot Noir he brought an outstanding (and not too pricey) bottle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the Plouf mussels andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/22/2014Loved the Plouf mussels and one of my dining companions was similarly sold on the curry mussels. Had to restrain myself from lapping up the rest of the sauce. Mussels could have been a tad larger and more tender. Are they precooked and then reheated in the sauce? The silky duck pate was divine and we finished off with the profiteroles. Very nice!Special Features:
- BirthdayTinaDined on 2/21/2014We hosted a birthday gathering for 11 and it was a great experience. It was one of the birthday person's favorites and the mussels are always good..thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful spot for musselsOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/15/2014This was my second time at Plouf. I love it! The food is very good, the place is cosy. The staff was very accommodating - we had a reservation but arrived almost an hour early - it was not a problem, a table was found for us right away. And of course the mussels! Great selection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day MenuFinnDined on 2/14/2014We rolled with the fixed price menu but had to carry off the survivors. It was simply too much. Ordinarily, we share a salad, an order of mussels in one of Plouf's four broths, and pomme frite. That is enough for us. Still, the Valentine's Day offering was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, good service, too loud.JacqueVIPDined on 2/6/2014In the city for one night, my husband and I ate here on a Thirsday evening on the recommendation of good friends. We each had the steak tartare and the duck breast. The service was good but rushed and the wait staff seemed quite harried. The food was very good! The duck was perfectly cooked and the tartare flavorful. The wine list was small but decent and not overpriced. Our complaint is the noise level...as it is often these days with the trend towards "energetic" as Open Table calls loud places. We heard every word of the diners on either side of us and could not carry on a conversation of our own without raising our voices to uncomfortable levels. Not my idea of a pleasant ambience. We might return, but will keep looking for quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wondeful dining experiencephantomDined on 1/31/2014had a first date and really had a great time. the hostess, bartender (Antoine), food and wait staff all were wonderful thank you!Special Features:
- Superb Seafood/Downtown GemtimberVIPDined on 1/27/2014Party of three and we were very impressed with Plouf. Incredibly fresh and well-prepared seafood---two of us had salmon, which was excellent, and one had shrimp/grits which he said he liked a lot. Beat salads and a caesar to start, all fresh and well-dressed. Service was outstanding--our server let us linger, was present but never pushy, made great suggestions on the wine list. A fun alley setting, in my opinion the best of a long line of pretty similar restaurants on Belden. My first dinner at Plouf but won't be my last.Special Features:
- Mussels & Champagne Cocktails!Etsilva47VIPDined on 1/25/2014Hard to find mussels sweeter or more plump. The service was exceptional as well. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Plouf--ordinaire, sad to sayDiner110Dined on 1/24/2014I'm an old codger, 25-year resident of this marvelous town, but something has happened to Plouf. I can't identify quite what. My last two outings there have been disappointing: a little confusion at the front upon arrival, refusal to place us in a booth as requested in reservation ( I've eaten there several times as a twosome, boothed), and "rushering" us to the patio. Portions seemed carelesss and smaller and prices seemed larger. In addition, there was always something quite charming about the servers. All gone, all business. One mixed drink, 3 glasses of wine, 1 shared app, 1 pasta, and 1 shrimp on grits. No coffee, no dessert--$120+ without tip. Is that really $$? I'll miss you, Plouf: You were always such great fun.
- Great place for mussels.debowVIPDined on 1/22/2014We loved the mussels and frites at Plouf. Atmosphere is nice and service very attentive. The soup and salad were also very good. We had another fish entree which was mediocre. Deserts, while huge, were unimpressive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- did not meet expectatiionsuncleDined on 1/22/2014we had the first seating at 5.30 so there was no crowd. and we had great service being the only ones there. however I was disappointed in the cooking/ texture of the mussels. not sure of the exact dish ordered but the mussels were overcooked to my taste. it must be difficult as they were the smaller varitey so easy to kill. however the flavor was as advertised and tasty. our server was fun which made the whole meal fine.
- The menu seems to have becomeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/17/2014The menu seems to have become more limited in recent years, but this is still a great spot to sit in a rare outdoor cafe environment, order yourself a tall glass of beer and a big bowl of expertly-prepared mussels and fries, and dig in!Special Features:
- First visit- dinner for twoAverySeattleDined on 1/16/2014The Look: Lacks a wow factor. Outdoor covering cheapens the ambiance, however, the main dinning area is very pleasing. Modern- feel perhaps too modern. Didn't "feel" like a French Seafood establishment. Staff had strong french accents which enhanced experience. Braised Lamb. Medium Rare, prepared proper heat level. Shaved Brussels sprouts were too bitter and didnt marry well with the other components. Roulade of Petrale Sole. Soft and moist. Bed of cauliflower added a crunch component that was delightful. Cream sauce had a hint of shrimp flavor. Cheese cake: Firm, easy to eat. Nice marriage of chocolate and fresh raspberries. Chocolate however, slightly overpowered taste of cake. Top cream layer had a slight "refrigerated" taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful unique menuSocialLeslieVIPDined on 1/15/2014Loved the choices! We had: Butter squash ravioli - WONDERFUL! Surprising hint of citrus, a wonderful combo of flavors Pork Shoulder - this sounded wonderful too, but it kinda wasn't. Tasted greasy A steak option (sorry, don't remember what it was exactly, but there was only one) - really good with unique flavors as well. The waitress was very informative, helpful and attentive. She suggested a nice Pinot Noir with our meal, which matched perfectly. Great, youthful, professional yet casual environment. A really nice choice - I will go back!Special Features:
- Never disappointsLauraDined on 1/15/2014Thank you again for another amazing bowl of mussels!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeJessyDined on 1/13/2014We had a team dinner with our SVP and had an amazing time! The food was incredible the service was excellent AND the server made an exception for us and brought us a special drink. It was a great team building and fun experience for our group. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingericDined on 1/13/2014Rose wine was room temp, mussels were luke warm, and waitress kept pushing drinks on us. Disappointing.
- gone downhilllizwhizDined on 1/10/2014Have eaten here 3 times over the yrs...wanting it to sometime be as good as the first experience. They are known for their mussels which can be ordered in a variety of broths, etc. Mussels were tiny, flavorless and dry. Though we were there early, when it was naturally not very busy, they did that very American flaw of ripping away your dishes if you take a breath... Three times & you're out Plouf. Won't return.Special Features:
- Took our UK guests who hadLellaVIPDined on 1/9/2014Took our UK guests who had been travelling around the states. Loved it. We love it. To pin point anything in pRticulR is difficult because it's all good. Authentic French.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is my 3rd visit to Plouf,jhporterVIPDined on 1/8/2014This is my 3rd visit to Plouf, over a two-year period. The service seems consistently outstanding: prompt, attentive, and not hovering. The portion sizes are excellent and not too much. The quality of the food was very good. I would return time and again--and plan to do so, when fish is the thing. It is convenient to work and lovely to come to on weekends.Special Features:
- MusselsMusselsVIPDined on 1/4/2014Haven't been to Plouf in 10 years and wanted to see if their mussel dishes were still good. Not quite as good as I remembered them to be but still alright. The weekend after New Years was a little slow with tables available whereas in the past it was always very busy. It is still worth going to for the food and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Plouf - A French Bistro in SFpalovoiDined on 1/1/2014Plouf is a very authentic french bistro - not too polished or slick - The neighbor restaurants with tables stacked in front, garbage cans in the street might be too authentic but it does color the street. I wish that they did not have the covered street room all the way across the street. I understand the need for more seating but it cuts the feeling of a street bistro. The food was good and the waiters attentive with reasonable prices. Another good visit to Plouf.Special Features:
- Level it outJulianaDined on 12/31/2013The food was wonderful, the service friendly, and the atmosphere very comfortable. The only negative were the tables. They sat on a slope which made the fear if things falling off a constant stressor to the evening. Plus the tables had a very wide base which prevented my chair from scooting in which made me have to sit on the edge of my seat. Overall,the positives outweighed the negatives. I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great NightAaronDined on 12/30/2013This was our second visit to Plouf and it was great. My wife and I were seated in a quiet corner next to the fireplace. We both had cocktails and went with the specialty...mussels. We chose the coconut cilantro pot which was super tasty and complimented excellent Ceaser salads (served nicely in full leaf). We topped it off with a great artisan cheese plate with real fresh honeycomb and persimmons. I don't know if it helped that my wife speaks French and all the wait staff are french, but when i ordered a port to go with our cheeses, our waiter brought my wife a final cocktail on the house. Plouf is in a quiet ally (Belden) and is a hidden gem in SF. Worth checking it out!Special Features: