40 Belden Place
San Francisco, CA 94104Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ploufsf.com/
- Phone: (415) 986-6491
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday -Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm and Sunday 5.30 pm-10 pm;
Happy hour Monday-Friday 2:30 pm - 6.30 pm on the patio and at the bar from 6.30 pm till close.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Pay with OpenTable,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, French
- Executive Chef: Mark Papedis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Buy outs are available. Please contact the restaurant for details.
- Private Party Contact: Victoria Garmash 4159866491x
- Special Events: Join Plouf Bistro for special evenings such as New Years Eve, Valentine's Day and Bastille Day (14th of July). Reservations are highly recommended!
A word from Plouf
Plouf has terrace seating with heat lamps and a canopy. There are bistro style seating and an indoor fireplace. We have a 2-course Lunch Prix Fixe for $22 (Soup/Salad and Mussels) and a 3-course Dinner Prix Fixe $30 (Soup/Salad, Mussels and Dessert)Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Plouf reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (50)fit for foodies (33)neighborhood gem (31)good for groups (24)great for lunch (17)romantic (14)special occasion (12)hot spot (10)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (6)notable wine list (6)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (2)Show More
- I've been to Plouf many timesOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/11/2008I've been to Plouf many times over the years; after this recent dining experience, I will not return. The food and service were so disappointing this trip, and I felt so bad as I was taking a colleague out to thank him for doing me a big favor.Special Features:
- Good people watching if youSfdinerVIPDined on 6/10/2008Good people watching if you sit outside. Everything we ate was amazing! I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Service was slower than usualOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/9/2008Service was slower than usual this time, food was good.
- Always had very good mealsSFtravelerDined on 6/9/2008Always had very good meals and service at Plouf. That's why I keep going back.Special Features:
- Food was tasty and portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/9/2008Food was tasty and portions were ample. Service was great - waiters were attentive. Being in an alley, it was kind of difficult to find. They gave me a "no show" on Dine-About-Town, so I called them up and they said that their computer showed "all arrived". Open Table, however told me that Plouf recorded a "no show". I am not sure whose efficiency is questionable - Open Table or Plouf. I had to do extra work to get credit. Thank you.Special Features:
- I love Plouf and have beenOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/6/2008I love Plouf and have been here many times, but tonight's meal was not as good as my former visits. Maybe it was because of the late hour, but I will still be back for more mussels.Special Features:
- Food and service were veryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/6/2008Food and service were very good. We called and changed our reservation to include more people. They we very accommodating. Unique setting on a side street. We expected a little nicer setting (not cheap tables/chairs) for the price range of the food. We were with a large group who travel/dine often and the concensus was that Plouf has good food, but is overpriced.
- We love the mussels and theOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/6/2008We love the mussels and the European Cafe atmosphere at Plouf.Special Features:
- This is the third time I haveOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/6/2008This is the third time I have dined there and I have not been disappointed. Mussels are a must have.Special Features:
- I thought the food was fair.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/5/2008I thought the food was fair. I ordered the special with onion soup - came out warm, not hot. The mussels were fair, although the fries were definitely NOT "pommes frites" - could have been crisper with more seasoning, ie garlic, parsley, salt. the profiteroles with banana ice cream was good. A decent meal, but would not come back. I've dined here a few times in the past. Not up to par.Special Features:
- Good butter and bread. DecentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/4/2008Good butter and bread. Decent food and excellent service.Special Features:
- This is the second time thatOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 6/4/2008This is the second time that I've dined at this restaurant and I really enjoyed the food each time, and the service was very good. It is on the pricey side, about $70 to $75 per person with a glass of wine and dessert. I think it's a great place to celebrate Tuesday. I definitely will go back and dine again. FYI, I've only been there on week nights. I have no idea what a Saturday night is like at this place.Special Features:
- Although the food was deliciousloves2eatVIPDined on 6/4/2008Although the food was delicious the service was not up to par. We ordered coffee and had to ask for milk/cream three times and never got it. Also never refilled our coffee.Special Features:
- The outside seating has severalOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/3/2008The outside seating has several drawbacks: the tables had bars that were extremely intrusive into legspace and the slightest touch tipped the table over. Smoking from other diners was was also a disappointment, though I am not sure if the restaurant has any control over it. The food was well-prepared and presented; each item was cooked to perfection. The reason this food was not excellent is that everything was highly salted, from salad to the risotto. Overall, it was good food and atmosphere, but not for the price.
- It was unfortunate, but theOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/3/2008It was unfortunate, but the food did not arrive in sequence. the service was extremely spotty I probably would not choose to go there again
- The dine-about-town menu selectionOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/3/2008The dine-about-town menu selection was limited and we just had other items off the regular menuSpecial Features:
- This is our second visit thisOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/3/2008This is our second visit this year. The menu choice for Dine Around Town pre fix menu was disappointing and did not represent the restaurant very well. Our last visit was great and we had three choices that represented the menu and the restaurant. That is why we came back and invited friends to join us . We could have ordered off the regular menu but the whole purpose of the Dine around town is to order off the Pre Fix menu.
- there were 4 of us for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/3/2008there were 4 of us for lunch & We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The food met/exceeded our expectations - some of us ordered off the regular lunch menu rather than the dine-about-town specials. We were each very pleased with our selections. The waiter was very pleasant & understated - always around when we needed him but not hovering & fussing. Makes quite a difference with well-trained waitstaff who're able to anticipated needs, paced the meal & not make us feel rushed.Special Features:
- Have been going for years.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/24/2008Have been going for years. Always a pleasant experience and consistently good food. Love it! My only complaint would be the outdoor seating furniture is wobbly and not very comfortable - yet I *always* sit outside...Special Features:
- Eating at Plouf was one ofOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/24/2008Eating at Plouf was one of the most disappointing dining experiences I've had in SF. I've been meaning to try it for years as I'd heard so much about it .... particularly it's mussels! The white wine and garlic mussels we tried were bland and watery. We had to add salt to it just to make it eatable. No flavor whatsoever! We also had the beef garpacho,again bland and the beef did not taste fresh!! To top it off... our waiter spent more time fooling around and talking to the other wait staff than he did waiting on us. The couple of times he came to our table was because he saw us cranking our heads around to try to get some service!! Terrible restaurant!!
- Food not as good as it usedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/22/2008Food not as good as it used to be. Served a white wine paring with cheese, and it wasn't good. All the hallmarks of a good restaurant going bad.
- Staff very accomondating.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/22/2008Staff very accomondating. Location in great setting.Special Features:
- The mussels were great. TheSusanDined on 5/21/2008The mussels were great. The other dishes were so-so.Special Features:
- The petrale sole was toppedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/21/2008The petrale sole was topped with a strong fishy tasting roe on it that overwhelmed the dish and had to be picked off to make it edible. It was as if no one in the kitchen ever tasted it. The rack of lamb was a dissapointing 2 chops. All agreed the meal was overpriced. Our meal was ruined by 30 drunken, screaming, and occasionally foul mouthed women at the adjacent table. Conversation was impossible and it was clear all the diners around them were miserable. I bought my companions drinks and dessert elsewhere to apologize for picking Plouf.
- Wonderful food. Halibut excellent.ScotladdieDined on 5/19/2008Wonderful food. Halibut excellent. Mussels absolutely awesome.Special Features:
- The food at Plouf is excellent,howeFoodieplus1Dined on 5/17/2008The food at Plouf is excellent,however, when they are really busy, the service is not so good and the food came out luke warm. I have eaten at Plout many times, and in general I love the restaurant. However, when it is really busy, the food quality and service is significantly less than average.Special Features:
- we felt like we were in France!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/17/2008we felt like we were in France! We had the mussels which were excellent but extremely rich.Special Features:
- great whenever you're in theAnnieDined on 5/16/2008great whenever you're in the mood for moules, frites, and a cold chimay. yum!Special Features:
- Agreeable staff and fabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/16/2008Agreeable staff and fabulous food. Perfect on a hot day in the city!Special Features:
- Great for client meetings,OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/16/2008Great for client meetings, other than that the tables are close together and there's little privacySpecial Features:
- Had a reservation, but theOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/14/2008Had a reservation, but the hostess still made us wait for 15-20 minutes. The tables were also right on top of one another.Special Features:
- Excellent! Enjoyed ourselvesOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/14/2008Excellent! Enjoyed ourselves esp. on a warm day! Would definitely come back. Chef Thomas Weibull is awesome!Special Features:
- one of the best waiters IOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/6/2008one of the best waiters I have ever had, extremely accomodating of my time schedule and very attentiveSpecial Features:
- Food was OK, but not spectacularSamuelDined on 5/2/2008Food was OK, but not spectacular for their prices. Hostess tried to seat us at a table in the front window that was right by the end of the bar and cut off from the rest of the restaurant. When my wife jokingly said we'd rather sit in the "real" restaurant, the hostess icily said "That table IS in the real restaurant." We don't go to restaurants to deal with snotty employees, thank you.
- just get the mussels and everyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/30/2008just get the mussels and every possible sauce combination
- Another swell eveing at myOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/26/2008Another swell eveing at my favorite San Francisco restaurant!Special Features:
- This was our second time toKenWVIPDined on 4/25/2008This was our second time to eat at Plouf, and we found the food to be as good as the first - specifically the mussels for which they are justly known. Frites not quite as good this time as previously (about a year ago), but still good. Wine list is quite good, one recommended wine was excellent, the other just fair. Service was not as attentive as we would have liked, but I could tell the waiter had been oversat and was working hard, plus the food came out promptly and hot, so we didn't hold it against him. Overall I enjoyed the experience and would go back, as long as the food maintains the high quality.Special Features:
- Mussels and frites were delicious,DrewDined on 4/25/2008Mussels and frites were delicious, would go again for those.Special Features:
- Plouf is an absolute gem inCanuckChefDined on 4/25/2008Plouf is an absolute gem in the City's financial district. The outdoor seating is reminiscent of small European cities and the mussels are the best I have ever eaten. It’s like a mini vacation at the end of a long work day.Special Features:
- The mussels in a Thai-styleOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/23/2008The mussels in a Thai-style coconut broth was a really unusal dish. Highly recommended.Special Features: