40 Belden Place
San Francisco, CA 94104Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ploufsf.com/
- Phone: (415) 986-6491
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday -Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm and Sunday 5.30 pm-10 pm;
Happy hour Monday-Friday 2:30 pm - 6.30 pm on the patio and at the bar from 6.30 pm till close.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Pay with OpenTable,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, French
- Executive Chef: Mark Papedis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Buy outs are available. Please contact the restaurant for details.
- Private Party Contact: Victoria Garmash 4159866491x
- Special Events: Join Plouf Bistro for special evenings such as New Years Eve, Valentine's Day and Bastille Day (14th of July). Reservations are highly recommended!
A word from Plouf
Plouf has terrace seating with heat lamps and a canopy. There are bistro style seating and an indoor fireplace. We have a 2-course Lunch Prix Fixe for $22 (Soup/Salad and Mussels) and a 3-course Dinner Prix Fixe $30 (Soup/Salad, Mussels and Dessert)Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Plouf reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (51)fit for foodies (33)neighborhood gem (30)good for groups (24)great for lunch (18)romantic (12)special occasion (12)hot spot (10)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (6)notable wine list (5)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (2)Show More
- UnderhillDined on 7/15/2014Our prix fixe dinner was a good value, and the mussels were delicious. The only problem was that the service was a bit too swift. Otherwise we felt as though we dining in France.Special Features:
- Bastille Day celebrationblainebVIPDined on 7/14/2014Great fun to go to Plouf on Bastille Day. Place was hopping. We took a francophile and enjoyed speaking French to the waiters, hosts, and other customers. Everyone in party mood. Good good all around. Tomato salad a standout.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bastille DayphainoDined on 7/14/2014I like Plouf but hadn't been in years, and thought it would be fun to have moules frites and rosé on Bastille Day. The food was good, but they seemed a little unprepared for Bastille Day; ie: stuffing menus and putting up balloons around 5:30. They had also removed all the chairs from the bar, except the 2-5 being used, which was odd. I work in a restaurant, so I understand, but when I arrived early to meet a friend for a drink, I asked a server if there was another chair, and he just said, "no, sorry!" without offering an alternative? Could we sit somewhere else? Should I stand until my reservation? Should we go somewhere nearby instead? He didn't even ask if I had a reservation. I thought the service was uneven.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not noteworthyRegularDined on 7/14/2014My wife and I tried 2 different mussel dishes as the reviews we read recommended those most highly. They were extremely small and quite disappointing, perhaps due to the time of year. Beef carpaccio appetizer did not even rise to the level of mediocre, it was the most bland example of such I can recall ever having. Desserts were good.
- Slow service hurting potentialBdinerDined on 7/12/2014We went to Plouf for my son'Birthday dinner. Food was pretty good and atmosphere is high energy but authentic. The challenge was the service model. The Server was supported by a group of helpers. They were great but he was very slow and everything took a long time -20 min to get our first drinks and 20 more for a bottle of wineSpecial Features:
- Poor serviceHoodyDined on 7/11/2014At lunch, I was meeting a potential business partner for the first time. waiters (and the Manager!) hassled us every two minutes to order, even though we were clearly intensely talking to each other due to those important first 10 minutes of getting to know each other. When we did want to order, the same staff acted as if we were invisible. Then, drinks we ordered were never delivered and we WERE charged for them. This place is a 'business lunch' destination. I appreciate that they want to be sure and help customers keep the whole process to within an hour or so, but they need to be able to sense when lunchtime diners want to enjoy lively discussion and a more leisurely dining experience.Special Features:
- Ambience galoreDoodelsVIPDined on 7/10/2014Such a dynamic and enjoyable place. Wonderful mussels as well as other delicious dishes. Terrific staff, especially Loretta. Great atmosphere in Belden Place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but deliciousMORGANDined on 7/10/2014Can't go wrong with Belgian food! The mussels were great, the fries were perfect and the cheese plate was good but a little small. Belden place is a great spot in SF, and Plouf fits in nicely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 8 of us on July 4thOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/4/2014When we first entered this restaurant, we felt a little hesitant, but the warm welcome and the excellent food soon changed our minds. Rockefeller and corn-coated excellent. Everyone who had mussels was pleased. Two of us had the Hawaiian Butter fish which was very good. Profiteroles were enjoyed by most. One French person found the chocolate too sweet, but that was the only negative comment I heard. Everyone congratulated me on my choice of this restaurant.Special Features:
- not happyveenDined on 7/4/2014We were disappointed. the bread was rubbery, the seafood was over dosed with.garlick and the steak.was.badly seasoned. Sweet waitress though and a french street bistro.feel.
- Cheap shortcuts ruin a meallunchieDined on 7/2/2014Our lunch at Plouf was marked by problems showing no one was paying much attention to the food: The tonic water in the G&t;s was flat. The coleslaw with the fired oysters had so much Tabasco on it it was inedible. The Oysters Rockefeller were cream spinach with an oyster and too many stale pale crumbs. The fish and chips had limp chips (the fish was fresh, but tasteless) and was served with cheap ready-made tarter sauce (Best Foods from Safeway, anyone?).
- FantasticLoreDined on 6/29/2014My husband and I celebrated our one year of marriage anniversary at Plouf this past weekend and it was superb. The dinner got off to a great start when they generously comped us each a glass of champagne when we sat down and it only got better from there. We shared the calamari appetizer which was excellent. I had the poulette mussels (so good!), my husband had the duck (divine) and we finished off on the perfect sweet note with vanilla ice cream mixed with peach and raspberry compotes. Overall, it was a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- alleydiningDined on 6/28/2014Cool location in hidden alley. The food was very good, though not outstanding, e.g. I've had better gem salads, but the mussels were excellent. The service was uneven, with some of the staff friendly and others not so much. Plouf was uncharacteristically empty the night we were there.Special Features:
- Off night?SteveDined on 6/28/2014I have been coming here for 10 years, but my most recent visit was disappointing. I ordered the Angus burger and was brought out the steak. When I pointed out the error, the server took it away and then I waited for 10 minutes without anyone addressing the incident before receiving my burger. I was surprised our waiter didn't come over at least to explain a burger was being prepared. I was just left waiting. My wife said the mussels were good but not as delicious as they usually are. Another person in my party had to send her fish back to be cooked longer. And the restaurant was only 25% full at that point, so it is not like it was too busy to execute well. I'm sure I will give it another chance, but it was definitely a let-down.
- Plouf is terrificjkugelmassDined on 6/24/2014If you love high quality mussels with a range of sauce options, Plouf is the place. In the middle of a great restaurant alley, Belden Place, being there is part of the fun, but the food is the most important draw. Al fresco dining, if you wish, although the patio is more noisy.Special Features:
- Only good for mussels.UKfoodieDined on 6/24/2014Atmosphere was good as was the service, but the food was disappointing. My friends loved the mussels however the sandwiches are not great!Special Features:
- Mussels, mussels, mussels!TNFoodieDined on 6/20/2014What a great find! You feel as if you are in Europe in this quaint alley chock full of culinary finds. Plouf is a lovely restaurant with the best mussels prepared a myriad of ways (who doesn't love bacon!?) Prompt, friendly staff made us feel welcomed and pampered. Profiteroles were the birthday lagniappe for my husband!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/17/2014Food was outstanding and the service excellent. The outdoor seating was enjoyable.Special Features:
- sfmmrDined on 6/12/2014Was looking for a right -sized special post-middle school graduation family lunch. My 14 yr. old loves seafood. Plouf was perfect. Great prix fix menu. White table clothes and good cocktails for the grand parents. I amSpecial Features:
- DelightfulOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/11/2014Takes you away from SF to a small street in Paris where neighbors and friends gather for good wine, bread, and classic French dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RosieAVIPDined on 6/9/2014Perfect Belden Alley lunch! The duck liver pate and the grilled asparagus salad were fantastic. And if there's a better place than Belden Alley for lunch, I'd love to know about it.Special Features:
- FantasticjncbDined on 6/5/2014We ordered Mussels, which are always amazing. In addition we ordered the Calamari for the first time - it was the best we've ever had! truly ridiculous on all levels. The service was friendly and fast, and for what you get i can't believe the price tag. My wife and I each ordered our own appetizers, shared an order of the mussels, and each had a cocktail. With more food then we could eat and a wonderful experience we still walked out of there for under $70 with a generous tip and tax. We have been there half a dozen times and will return.Special Features:
- Yum!KeeksDDined on 6/4/2014Plouf did not disappoint. I went with a friend for their Dine About Town special, and everything was delicious. Our waiter even taught me a few French words.Special Features:
- Splendid SurprisePleasantsurpriseatPloufDined on 5/25/2014We had some friends visiting from out of state and wanted to find a cool spot to dine. Plouf more than exceeding our expectations. We got there at opening and were a tad concerned that there was only a few tables taken. We thought that was not a good sign. Well, after our first killer cocktail and some fresh oysters...the place start to fill up. Then, I bought another round and had probably the best calamari ever! There was not a morsel left. Out friends had already ate in about 6 restaurants that week in the City and said by far..."this is our best dining experience yet." Three of us =had the butter fish and I went for fish and chips. All were incredible. We will come back!Special Features:
- Great foodSchveitzDined on 5/22/2014Server started out strong and then went downhill as the night progressed. Never did anything "bad"...just stopped paying attention towards the end. I had to get up and go get her to order desert and get the bill. Food was really tasty though!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous fish, cordial servicemikeynoDined on 5/21/2014My friend, Helen, was visiting from New York City and I wanted to take her to a special restaurant downtown. She gave me 5 stars for taking her to Plouf. We were greeted by the owner on the way in and he introduced us to his mother, visiting from France, on the way out. I had the catch-of-the-day, which was tasty, tender, moist and beautifully presented. Helen had the mussels, her favorite seafood dish, and was very pleased with the savory freshness. I'd like to say we passed on the dessert, but we didn't. It was the peche Helene in my friend's honor and it was scrumptious. The serving staff was handsomely costumed in striped sailor tops, and prompt and cordial in their service. I look forward to returning soon.Special Features:
- Great SFO secret!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/18/2014Almost all taxi cab drivers don't even know where Belden Place is ...which makes it a city jewel. The staff is great, I've been there multiple times and they are welcoming and friendly. Food is great and will recommend it to friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChangedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/17/2014Been to Plouf over the years. Not the same energetic, fun place it has been. Just going through the motions. Belden Place in general seems to have lost it's mojo.
- good outdoor lunch optionOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/15/2014not many outdoor lunch options in SF, but on a warm day, Belden Place is the place to be. Plouf is one of a handful of restaurants in this alley. Great place for lunch, but food was mediocre. I had the the fish and chips for lunch, but it wasn't very tasty. Had better.Probably should have went with the mussels which looked great and there was a lot of selections to choose from. Great waitress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 5/10/2014$20 per bottle cork fee. Mussels were amazing. Loved the menu and food done well. Would appeal to a broad range of tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mussels and FritesRegularDinerVIPDined on 5/9/2014Well, they have mussels, but they're not the greatest or most reasonably priced in town. Those frites need a little improvement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't know this place was therefoureyedreviewerDined on 5/9/2014A nice hidden gem in the outskirts of the financial district, located in the food alley on Belden, the restaurant is in the middle of the block surrounded by other restaurants. This place is surprisingly good, showed up for a 13 seated party which this place handled nicely. Started at the bar while I waited, the bartender was friendly and knowledgeable from what I gathered overhearing his conversation. Dinner started off with an order of mussels, which is what they are known for, oysters rockefeller and beef carpacio which were all excellent, flavorful but not overwhelming. Dinner was the duck breast which was also great, nice size and cooked with a lot of flavor. Service was a little slow but the wait staff was very accommodating. A+Special Features:
- awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/7/2014Really good food had oysters, mussels, hangar steak n shrimp and pomme freits. Would come here once a week if I could afford it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Moules frites to die forpickyeaterVIPDined on 5/6/2014Wonderful mussels, wonderful fries, good drinks, good wine, nice service, warm outdoor patio. Love this place.Special Features:
- Lovely lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/29/2014I have a group of friends that gets together for lunch. The other day we went to Plouf. I had made reservations weeks in advance. The day if several cancelled but we still had seven people. The staff at Plouf were accomodating, friendly and attentive. The ambiance was lovely and the food very good. We all enjoyed our lunch there and woukd return again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Shelf MusselsFoodLoverDined on 4/27/2014The variety of recipes for mussels is robust, with many flavor combinations that I have not considered. The mussels were fantastic! The local oysters were of high quality. And, the service was amazing.Special Features:
- gypsygalgypsygalDined on 4/26/2014The food was absolutely what we had hoped for. You really cannot beat the prix fixe meal if you are looking for muscles. I had the asparagus plus salad and my husband happened to mention that I like poached eggs on top of such a dish. And, a few minutes later, the egg magically appeared atop my salad.Special Features:
- OK, but not GreatTaddDined on 4/26/2014The restaurant is plain and very noisy. The main course was nicely prepared and presented, but the salad was over-dressed. Overall the menu choices were somewhat disappointing for a restaurant billed as French, although there was an abundant variety of mussel preparations.
- Seafood heavenChrisDined on 4/24/2014I have been to Plouf since it opened and it has remained consistently good. Vibrant restaurant, reasonable prices, excellent mussels. The other seafood options are also delicious. I will keep coming back to Plouf.Special Features:
- InconsistentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/17/2014Great environment and flavors but slow service and inconsistent food. The drinks arrived after our food was delivered.