40 Belden Place
San Francisco, CA 94104Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ploufsf.com/
- Phone: (415) 986-6491
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday -Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm and Sunday 5.30 pm-10 pm;
Happy hour Monday-Friday 2:30 pm - 6.30 pm on the patio and at the bar from 6.30 pm till close.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Pay with OpenTable,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, French
- Executive Chef: Mark Papedis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Buy outs are available. Please contact the restaurant for details.
- Private Party Contact: Victoria Garmash 4159866491x
- Special Events: Join Plouf Bistro for special evenings such as New Years Eve, Valentine's Day and Bastille Day (14th of July). Reservations are highly recommended!
A word from Plouf
Plouf has terrace seating with heat lamps and a canopy. There are bistro style seating and an indoor fireplace. We have a 2-course Lunch Prix Fixe for $22 (Soup/Salad and Mussels) and a 3-course Dinner Prix Fixe $30 (Soup/Salad, Mussels and Dessert)Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Plouf reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (50)fit for foodies (33)neighborhood gem (31)good for groups (24)great for lunch (17)romantic (14)special occasion (12)hot spot (10)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (6)notable wine list (6)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (2)Show More
- A+++ Food and ServiceJMR6Dined on 11/22/2014We had my wife's birthday dinner there with friends. The service and atmosphere was outstanding. The food there is off the charts. The mussels and seafood was perfect. My buddy had the duck breast and thought it was the best he ever had. The waiter greeted my wife with Champagne and also brought out a candle lit ice cream and cake desert for the table to share. Everyone in the indoor seating helped us sing "Happy Birthday" to her. What a great night! I highly recommend Plouf!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kisfVIPDined on 11/21/2014I probably have been to Plouf for 3-4 times within the past 6 years or so, and I always have good experience. but this time our waiter had some not so good customer service attitude. I asked if there is a "French equivalent" of pinot grigio. he laughed and said "pinot grigio is Italian!!" yes I know, thats why I said if there is a "french equivalent". then I asked how big is one of the appetizer (mussles) dish. and he answered "it's an appetizer size" and he seemed annoyed, I said "well how big is it?!" and I probably had annoyed look by then. and he couldnt quite give me a clear answer. He was very unpleazant, but EVERYONE else who served us and also the hostess were SO super nice and pleasant and food was very good and my out of town friend enjoyed the meal. He also forgot to bring our coffee, then someone else noticed that and he asked me if we needed coffee. and when I said I have ordered coffee, he (not our waiter but the person who noticed that we didn't have coffee) brought them right-a-way. He aplolgyzed and I thanked him for his attentiveness. everyone else's niceness almost make up for an unpleasant waiter, but he can also ruin everyone's niceness. I'm very sorry you have this kind of employee. but thank you everyone else!!
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/20/2014Our favorite neighborhood date night spot. We'll be coming back again and again. They have the best happy hour!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mussel MagicMferVIPDined on 11/17/2014The four of us each got a different types of mussels all wonderful. The cocktails were imaginativeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before you say bon appetite...ToddGVIPDined on 11/8/2014My recommendation: Go elsewhere. We had an 8:30 reservation on a Friday night. We showed up an hour late as an event we were at ran way behind schedule. But we looked forward to a delicious bowl of mussels and flavorful pommes frites. When we arrived, the Plouf staff greeted us with looks of disappointment. They were ready to go home. At 9:30! On a Friday! We asked to sit outside. The hostess' response? Really? Hmmm. Well, ok. They didn't even put a table cloth on our table. Ten minutes after sitting down, we saw the chef go home. He was followed by the hostess. It wasn't even yet 9:45 pm. On a Friday! Long story short, the mussels were sans flavor and our outside seat was ruined by the noise and tumult of the staff cleaning up.Special Features:
- ElleEleanorRigbyDined on 11/3/2014$1 oysters at the bar, can't beat that! I also had the best salmon of my life and I eat salmon about 3X a week. I will definitely be back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/2/2014Food was not very good. Group of 8 and each of us thought our mains were not very well prepared. Shrimp dish was served very bland mashed potatoes.
- Great seafoodLoveMusselsDined on 10/25/2014Excellent food! Love the mussels. Nice relaxing eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LinsieLynetteDined on 10/23/2014Wonderful menu in a great outdoor setting. The mussels are the best. I had the curry mussels, very tasty with flavors complimenting the mussels. Pomme frittes great side to the mussels. Dined here several times and always a fun evening. Do not recommend the clam chowder here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LellaVIPDined on 10/18/2014True french restaurant, with a little American style. Moules frittes are great. All is good. Never disappointed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014Great mussels with a variety of broths to choose from!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every time we go....SFPubCrawlerDined on 10/11/2014It is always a fabulous time. The food is to die for....and the place is so french.Special Features:
- Best musselsDavidSFOVIPDined on 10/5/2014Order the mussels. Because I said so. Do it now. Make me proud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Self serveOutnaboutVIPDined on 10/4/2014Pour your own wine, tell server problem w entre and be ignored... Not good, why not warm the breadSpecial Features:
- It's all about the musselsLocalVIPDined on 10/1/2014Wide selection of delicious sauces. Unbelievable fries - they come with Parmesan cheese and truffle oil. Other items I've tried on the menu are delicious too, but "moules frites" with a pint of draft beer is the perfect foodSpecial Features:
- Gone down hillglobaldinerDined on 9/26/2014Unfortunately Plouf has gone down hill. We had not dined at Plouf in a while, but we thought the food was not what it used to be. Mussels were very tiny and bland. The fried oyster appetizer was so spicy my husband, who loves spicy, couldn't even eat it. The Tobasco butter was way too spicy. The service was very good, but the restaurant just seemed dirty.
- A good good timeAndrewAndWellerVIPDined on 9/22/2014Plouf is famous for their mussels and they delivered! Wonderful. Just what I wanted.Special Features:
- Used to be a favorite!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/21/2014We were so disappointed. Like many others, Plouf has been the "go to" place for mussels. We have been going there since they opened. What happened? Small, chewy mussels, smaller portion than it used to be, poor quality of sauce. The bacon in the "poulette" was RAW and all fat! It used to be pancetta. The mussels were tasteless. Even the mueniere sauce was flat. The wait staff and management could care less and never checked back with us until time for the bill. We will not be going back again.
- Love the musselsSnoopy1Dined on 9/20/2014I always have to go to Plouf when visiting San Francisco. I love the mussels. They serve mussels in many different broths! The house Chardonnay was very nice and a generous pour.Special Features:
- WonderfulDianaVIPDined on 9/14/2014Husband had the calamari, said it was best ever and it was a huge serving. I had the baby lettuce salad, which was tasty and pretty. The warm bread was yummy. I had the Hawaiian butterfish with risotto and roasted squash. It was soooo good, I didn't want it to end. Husband had the sauteed salmon with cauliflower couscous, asparagus and lemon sauce. Both portions were good-sized. Husband had the chocolate-espresso mousse. Service was great and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best mussels!LizToddVIPDined on 8/27/2014Love the "Plouf mussels" and continue to return here for those alone. Not sure what everything else is like on the menu as I can never forgo these. Some good people watching here too. The wine list is excellent and not overpriced which I was pleasantly surprised to see in SF. Thank you for having us again! We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KentDined on 8/26/2014moules and frites. The best outside of Belgium! And, they have Chimay beer. Never tired of this place.Special Features:
- DisappointingOlymomVIPDined on 8/23/2014Our concierge recommended Plouf for fish and chips, though it's a French spot. The "alley" location is kind of claustrophobic and I'm not crazy about dining with pigeons so I suggest sitting inside. The staff was friendly, but maybe because they weren't busy, it felt like they hovered. The clam chowder was possibly the worst I've had; watery, few clams, with nearly uncooked bacon and potatoes. Maybe it got better when it cooked longer. The fish (cod) and chips wasn't bad, though the batter was too soggy on the inside for my taste, a common problem. The fries were pretty good. I wouldn't expect these foods at a French restaurant so I was surprised the concierge recommended them. Not a good choice for us.Special Features:
- Now THAT's a BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/21/2014Popped into Plouf for lunch at the last minute with low expectations and was blown away by an outdoor dining experience that made me want to grab owners of places with Bistro in the name and drag them down to "International Alley" to see what that word really means.Special Features:
- Only order the butter fishJoyBellVIPDined on 8/20/2014The food here is absolutely sub par. With all of the restaurants in the city you are better off eating elsewhere. The service was good, but the food awful. The one dish in the party that was edible was the butter fish. The shrimp and grits were served cold. The grits were gunked up with horseradish and grease and were cold. Don't order that dish if you go. Lastly, steer clear of any "specials".
- FatigueFatiguedDined on 8/19/2014Used to be a cool, Euro-vibe place with decent food. Food was tired--even the easy dishes like a cheese plate. One main corse-inedible.Special Features:
- Disappointing foodseefoodDined on 8/18/2014I do not go out for nice dinner's often so when they disappoint, it seems like a big deal! The food did not excite, at all. The waiter gave us no direction in our wine selection, only offering for us to try what we had questions about which took a long time, interrupted conversation and ended with us choosing something we didn't love because we didn't want to keep asking after 3 tries! We split some mussels (not exciting) and duck (not cooked to our order). We finished with Creme Brulee (too big and too sweet). So besides the ambiance and the occasion of having a dinner with a dear friend and no children, Plouf was a bust.Special Features:
- Consistently GoodGrecaDined on 8/17/2014I am guessing I've been to Plouf as many as fifteen times and it is always good. In addition you can actually have a conversation. We always look forward to our dinners at this restaurant.Special Features:
- Best mussels anywhereBigbobDined on 8/16/2014Plouf consistently serves some of the best mussels anywhere in SF, which are only second to their pommes frite! Their pre fixe dinner is an excellent way for first-time visitors to enjoy a sample of the excellent menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome place!SFCA415Dined on 8/14/2014I love this place and have been going here for years! The food is delicious as always and the staff is wonderful. I have never had bad service or food here for the many years I have ate here. I had a friend in town and he it was his first time here ans loved it. Highly recommended as long as they keep up the great work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Musselssunnyside1VIPDined on 8/14/2014Plouf continues to be a great neighborhood gem. My husband swears the mussels are the best ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDisappointedVIPDined on 8/14/2014I was very disappointed at the quality if the food. I have not been here for over 10 years and it was really good back then.Special Features:
- Wonderful!foodgrlDined on 8/13/2014Our group of 10 family members had a wonderful time, everyone enjoyed the beautiful food and the kindness of our server. The food is as wonderful as it has always been. The prix fixe dinner is a great value; a soup or salad starter, a huge serving of mussels and sublime dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MusselsFishyVIPDined on 8/13/2014Yup. Their mussels are good. They have six or seven different dishes and preparations. At our table, they were all good. They have other food also, like hamburgers, which the table next to us had an order. They raved how good it was. So, if you want to have some good seafood, and have a person who just is not into that, you may have found your new place. Also, get an order of fries for the table with your order of mussels. Enjoy.Special Features:
- Nice service and ambianceLRinMarinVIPDined on 8/12/2014Two of us had an early dinner at Plouf and all was fine except for one of the dishes. I ordered one of the mussels entrees. The sauce was fabulous but the mussels were tiny. I expected at least some of them to be large or medium sized as I have had at other places. Each shell had a small piece of mussel in it and the bottom of the bowl didn't have much more. I don't know if that is typical or unusual. However the wait staff was very good, the salad delicious as was my friend's duck entree and we enjoyed the wine and after dinner coffee. I just wondered "where's the mussels?"Special Features:
- Once good. Now blah!NicolasVIPDined on 8/1/2014This restaurant was once known for its delicious muscle dishes, but the muscles or bland small and as unimpressive as the service. The fish and chips dish used to be a fresh lightly battered variety of fish. Now it's one solid piece of over fried cod. Gave me indigestion. Won't be back.
- Great musselsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/31/2014The mussels were absolutely fantastic. I wanted every last bit of broth as it was briny yet sweet and creamy. Would highly recommend it to anyoneSpecial Features:
- The following 1146 reviews are from the Plouf reviews archive.
- Very DisappointedmortDined on 7/29/2014The outdoor seating is nice as well as the interior. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The cocktails were solid. The food was terrible. We had the pre-fix, clam chowder, mussels and desert for $30. We also ordered a dozen oysters (we had to ask the server what kind they were). The server misheard our order and thought we only ordered one pre fix instead of two. The chowder was very watery, had only two clams, and was separating (there was oil floating the on top). There were barely any vegetables in the chowder. When the mussels arrived the kitchen hadn't bothered to remove the beards from 70% of the mussels. The creme brulee was warm and runny. The cheesecake was OK. To say I was disappointed is an understatement.
- A longterm fan, but not this timeSFFoodLoverVIPDined on 7/21/2014Generally, I love Plouf. I have eaten many things on the menu and have always had a great meal. This time I had the mussels/clams combo in Poulette. My stomach hurt for an entire day afterward. My daughter had the combo in the coconut milk broth and she also had stomach issues for the next day. My other daughter had the pasta, which was great. Generally, I really enjoy Plouf but something was off this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salmon yes, mussels noPoldyVIPDined on 7/20/2014Two of four of us went for the mussels. While the mariniere sauce was delicious, the mussels were tiny and shriveled up. The salmon and hamburger were reported to be very good.