85 West Broadway
New York, NY 10007Neighborhood:
TriBeCa - Downtown
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pleinsudnyc.com/
- Phone: 2122045555
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 11:00am, Saturday - Sunday: 7:00am - 10:30am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 12am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:30am - 3:30pm; Afternoon: Saturday - Sunday: 3:30pm - 5:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Sebastien Agez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: TORO, the lounge located below Plein Sud accommodates up to 150 people for cocktails and passed hors d'oeuvres affairs and up to 60 people for seated dinner. TORO is equipped with state of the art audiovisual equipment, including built-in projector and screen which makes it the ideal location for meetings and events that require a screen for a presentaion.Our Chef's Table in our Private Dining Room can host sit down dinners from 6 to 18 people. Please contact our Event Director firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 212.204.5561
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a private dining room for sit down dinners for up to 20 people, a private room for cocktail receptions for 25 people. Sit down and cocktail receptions in our lower level lounge for up to 130 people. We also offer a lobby bar area for cocktail receptions for up to 50 people.
- Private Party Contact: Claudia 8776501866
- Entertainment: Our Toro Lounge is open Wednesday-Saturday beginning at 8:00pm. The Toro Lounge features a Tango Night with a live band on Thursdays and DJ spining on Fridays and Saturdays. Our Toro Lounge is also available for private events.
- Special Events: Toro Lounge features a live Jazz and Burlesque Show on Wednesdays and DJ spinning on Fridays and Saturdays.
A word from Plein Sud
Plein Sud Restaurant and Lounge offers a Contemporary-Provencal design, serving rustic and delicious South of France cuisine, wonderful cocktail and wines, in a warm, engaging, personalized and professional environmental at a competitive price.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Plein Sud reviews from OpenTable diners
- The service was attentiveManhatbizman54Dined on 7/16/2013The service was attentive and the food very enjoyable.Special Features:
- very disapointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/14/2013poor wine selection, most items on the menu not available....very unimpressive.
- We were the ONLY diners forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/11/2013We were the ONLY diners for dinner, Hence the service was excellent. They were out of our first three wine selections. Food was fair. Not worth the money.
- very disappointingSusieVIPDined on 6/10/2013We were told "they had not gotten a delivery" so wine selection and menu items were VERY VERY limited. Think this is code for they are closing. The server did her best and was very nice but the food was just ok and not what we had remembered. Onion soup terrible. No escargot, no mussels, no steak frites....very disappointing to come to a french restaurant and not have these items available. They should just close....would never go again anyway.
- PooranukiVIPDined on 6/3/2013The menu is very limited and the food is very poor. I would not come back or recommend this restaurant to anyone.
- good brunchlovegoodfoodDined on 5/12/2013we usually have brunch here on weekends. the food is usually very good. flatbreads, burgers and all the brunch items are well executed. escargot is a great value and easily a main course portion because it is so rich. the service is generally inconsistent, and the kitchen can have off days, but it's a good option for breakfast or a late dinner.Special Features:
- Mother's Dayfood4thoughtDined on 5/12/2013Plein Sud was a great choice for Mother's Day. The only potential issue was that the restaurant was only serving regular breakfast until 11am and then switched to a fuller "brunch" menu. But there was nothing on their website or on Open Table about the switch. I had made a 10:30 reservation thinking I could get brunch. Luckily, the restaurant was more than willing to let us get the brunch menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple and UnsatisfyingOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/30/2013I had been wanting to come here for a while - passing it all the time in Tribecca and having heard good things. We came early before a show and received terrible service. There were only two other tables occupied so there was no reason it should have been spotty (drinks not refilled until we could grab her attention, food didn't all come out together, etc.). The food itself was just okay - fish and fries tasted bland, the recommended beet tartare tasted simply like the shredded beets I make at home. Brussel sprouts were bland as well and the only good thing was the French 75 cocktail. The waitress even circled the recommended tip % on the receipt before handing it to us - what nerve. Would not go back.
- Great for authentic French food.TrishDined on 3/23/2013We loved this place! everything was so wonderful. The wait staff was fabulous: Engaging, friendly and helpful.The food was perfectly prepared. Having had duck in many places including Paris, we couldn't have been more pleased with this presentation. The kind staff made us feel very special. we will be back soon!!! Trish & Kenny BrillSpecial Features:
- No cook for you!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/18/2013Arrived for breakfast. They had, 'no cook'. Amazing. Huge waste of time.
- plain food ntr plein sud--mascherVIPDined on 3/17/2013plain food ntr plein sud-- simply awful-- went for brunch -- the food and overall experience was insipid-- service awful and made worse when the not-to-well trained and not-to busy waiter apologized for not paying more attention to us--Avoid at all cost
- The restaurant had only probablyOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/15/2013The restaurant had only probably only 40% of the wine list available in stock. Also, it took us half an hour from the time we sat down on the table to the time we were served some bread (only upon my request), and 10 more minutes for our glass of wine.
- The music playing was tooOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/3/2013The music playing was too loud and not appropriate for the setting - food was quite good, but overpriced
- Slow service, food okay.SammyVIPDined on 2/19/2013The fish soup and onion soups were very good,,, piping hot and very tasty. However, i ordered a flatbread pizza and it was cold. It might have been due to the slow service, as there were only 2 servers in the entire restaurant when we went for dinner this week. We have been there before with better service on the weekends, but it is very noisy on the weekends. We decided to go mid week, and it was very quiet but service was slow.
- Nice Simple Country FrenchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/16/2013Plein Sud is a nice little French restaurant. We were there at seven o'clock for dinner and found the place empty, though seating started picking up at around eight. The decor was low-kew and comfortable. They made a killer Tanq and tonic for me and a delicious cocktail (I forget the name) for my wife! The food was French farm country style; simple and was very nice. I wouldn't make a special trip accross town for it, but if you want a low-key, unpretentious French place in Tribecca, you will wobble away from Plein Sud satiated, pleased and ready for a nap. I recommend painting the town or seeing shows before dinner. You'll be too lethargic to do anything worthwhile after!Special Features:
- Great for upscale lunch w/ kidsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/16/2013We went with our 3-year-old granddaughter and her mother, and it was a great place for lunch with children. They had a kids menu and crayons ready, and a number of families were there, but it was still reasonably quiet. The waitstaff was friendly and understanding about the mess a young child makes, the wine list was decent but was the weakest part of the experience, and the food was very good. There's a nice bar near the entrance, and I'm sure its a great place for a late dinner without children, too.Special Features:
- 11.00 for a watered down BloodyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/3/201311.00 for a watered down Bloody Mary? Never again.
- Loved this place....it hasOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/31/2013Loved this place....it has great ambiance, decor and the food is great too!Special Features:
- Everything we had was delicious.foodie4lifeDined on 1/27/2013Everything we had was delicious. The service was slow, but that makes for good conversation if you're not in a rush. The French onion soup was the best I've had. The mussels were delicate, fresh and tender, yum! I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- WE WENT FOR RESTAURANT WEEK.FOODIE56VIPDined on 1/25/2013WE WENT FOR RESTAURANT WEEK. HAD THE TARTAR, PATE, CANARD, FRICASSEE, CREME BRULEE AND THE CREPES. ORDER OFF THE APPETIZER MENU AND HAD THE ESCARGOT, AS WELL. VERY STRANGE AND BLAND. ALL DISHES WERE NOTHING SPECIAL. THE DUCK WAS WAY OVER COOKED.
- Overall I enjoyed my visitOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/19/2013Overall I enjoyed my visit to Plein Sud. If I had to say something negative it would be about the music choice. It was pop music which really didn't fit the ambiance of the place...and it was too loud. It seemed more like a bar experience rather than a sit-down restaurant.Special Features:
- We were happy to have theOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/11/2013We were happy to have the restaurant accomodate a our group of 7 people. However the service was poor and we will not consider coming back again. Here's some specific comments: 1. Part of the group did not receive the appetizers on time 2. The waiter was no where to be found to refill our wine glasses 3. The entrees took a long time to be served - aprox. 3o minutes after we finish our appetizers 4. Even though the service was subpar, a 20% tip was added for "groups larger than 6", the restaurant was basically empty, there were no excuses for the subpar service and the pre-set tip was a little outrageous.Special Features:
- Service was slow in an emptyLiliDined on 12/22/2012Service was slow in an empty restaurant. Out of certain wines completely. Bland beet appetizer but the mussels entree was delicious.
- Fair to BadraemikeVIPDined on 12/5/2012Average in an area of above average but very expensive. Lamb sandwich was mostly grizzle that I'd give my dog. Frite were oily and generally gross. 130 for two sandwiches a small tar tar app and two soups and 2 wine. A little outrageous for a sandwich that was largely unedible and a restaurant that was empty
- Plein Sud - Has gone way downhillOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 12/2/2012This restaurant was excellent a year ago and now has really gone downhill. I will not go here again.
- food was salty; waiter keptOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/30/2012food was salty; waiter kept disappearing and we constantly had to send our busser to find the waiter.
- Decent food for decent priceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/24/2012I was advised not to go to this place by a friend. I decided to go anyway and after eating there now several times, I don't know why he said not to. The food is decent and priced appropriately. Service was very friendly. I did notice though not a lot of people in the restaurant on each of the occasions I've been there.Special Features:
- We hade the steak frites andKathyVIPDined on 11/16/2012We hade the steak frites and the duck confit, both prepared beautifully. The profiteroles were still crisp and the lemon tart delicious.Special Features:
- Not a great choice for dinnerNicoleVIPDined on 11/11/2012I took a group here for a Sunday evening dinner. The place was pretty much empty, which isn't really here nor there as it was a Sunday evening and it's in downtown Manhattan (which is still affected by the hurricane). The room was nice enough - large, candlelit. The menu looked good. However, it turned out a lot that was offered on the menu wasn't available... When it arrived, the food was sub-par French, overly priced. There was a seeming lack of care in timing / preparation; the hot calamari appetizer I ordered showed up cold. The service was very nice and friendly. I suspect this might be a good spot for brunch, but I don't suggest it as a dinner choice.
- This was a bad experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/9/2012This was a bad experience. Serviced was inattentive, slow, and incompetent. When the simple order came after 1.5 hours, at least it was good, but not great so-called French food. The place was not busy, which was unusual for a Saturday night in New York, at what is a convenient location-- subway at the corner. the wine list was overpriced for a moderately priced restaurant. My wife and I had beer which was rationally priced, but not special. We won’t go back.
- Horrible, Insulting ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/9/2012One of the worst dinner experiences ever in NYC, mainly because of the service. Waited forever to have a drink order taken. Ordered a Gibson and was given a glass of Gin with ice and a lemon. The waiter made me feel stupid when I told him it wasn't what I ordered. Then had to wait about 20 minutes for a replacement drink. That was the last time we saw the waiter until it was time for our check. The couple seated next to us had similar problems, as they waited their entire meal for water and salt and pepper. The food was ok.
- Disappointed.tribecalocalVIPDined on 10/26/2012We both ordered steak au poive, but one rare and other well done. Both came out medium and burned . Couldn't get attention of one waiter working the entire restaurant. Slow to get any service. We were done with our coffees by the time dessert was finally delivered. Had great meals in the past but that was more Han a year ago. After this, not worth going back.
- I went with colleagues onOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/22/2012I went with colleagues on a Monday afternoon. The food was good and the restaurant was quiet (empty).Special Features:
- If you are a fan of the famousJanesterVIPDined on 10/19/2012If you are a fan of the famous Provencal fish soup, forget about Plein Sud's version: green not pink, thin not rich, and no rouille or cheese, just two measly little toast slices. It is almost blasphemy that they have it on the menu.
- We had resisted trying PleinOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 10/14/2012We had resisted trying Plein Sud, even though we live in the neighborhood, because of the bad reviews of the place under the original chef, Ed Cotton. Since some time has passed, we figured we'd give it a try. Sadly, they seem not to have larned anything from all of the negative reviews. We went on a Sunday night, when there was only one other table, but the service was so slow you would have thought the house was will. The food was incredibly unremarkable. The frisee salad was overdressed and used regular streaky bacon rather than lardons. The rice that accompanied the chicken tasted like nothing so much as butter, and the profiteroles were stale and topped with an anemic splash of chocolate. We will not be returning of our own volition.
- Went for the recommended pancakes,CaraVIPDined on 10/13/2012Went for the recommended pancakes, which were good - but not worth having again and again. They were supposed to have bananas in them and the waitress assured me they were cooked in - they were most definitely not. However, they did comp. my order due to their oversight. The hotel and atmosphere is nice, though.Special Features:
- The burger was salty and washipchic2VIPDined on 10/8/2012The burger was salty and was overcooked. One order was wrong--we ordered a skirt steak but received a NY strip.
- Oustanding server Kyle. ArrivedL8DinerVIPDined on 9/8/2012Oustanding server Kyle. Arrived late so several items sold out. Duck mousse delicious. Burger good but sat too long in heating area before being served. Bottom bun was soggy. Had to be eaten with knife & fork. Carrot soup tasted watered down.
- Give your review a titleOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/24/2012quality has gone down since opening - ingredients do not seem fresh. hostess was clueless and unhelpful
- Enjoyed a wonderful meal andOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/22/2012Enjoyed a wonderful meal and our server was extrordinary!Special Features: