220 E 4th St
Santa Ana, CA 92701Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://playgrounddtsa.com/
- Phone: (714) 560-4444
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 2:00am
Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jason Quinn
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Playground
The Playground is a chef driven small-plates restaurant that highlights the freshest and most exciting available ingredients in dishes inspired by great culinary traditions all over the world. The menu changes daily based on available ingredients and the chefs’ whims. The optimal party size is between 4 and 6, so that everyone can sample a number of dishes. We're not the kind of restaurant where you should expect to order your own dish (plan to share,) to think in terms of starters and mains (who made those rules anyway?), or to customize your order. Each plate has been crafted by the chefs in the way they believe best highlights the ingredients. Modifying an element would change the dish into something we don't believe in, and we're not going to serve you anything we don't believe is the best we can do.Continued
Please note that we allow two hours for all reservations. If you would like more time please give us a call and we can see if we can accommodate you.
Please note that we allow two hours for all reservations. If you would like more time please give us a call and we can see if we can accommodate you.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Playground - Best Restaurants in Santa Ana ›
Playground reviews from OpenTable diners
179 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (169)neighborhood gem (112)hot spot (104)good for groups (80)special occasion (74)great for outdoor dining (54)vibrant bar scene (44)late-night find (28)romantic (16)notable wine list (13)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- Playground ExperiencePlay2014Dined on 11/22/2014The food was delicious and very flavorful!! Our Server knew what she was talking about and spoke comfortably & passionately when asked about the dining experience, history of Playground and what's to come. The food came to us at a favorable speed and each dish served was better than the last! Dessert was heaven in your mouth! The Toffee Sticky Pudding is a MUST! We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional !BarbieVIPDined on 11/22/2014I have been all over the world and I have never, ever had good as wonderful as Playground! This restaurant really is exceptional. The food was marvelous!! We will be returning often!!! The pork chop is large enough for four, but we shared it, took some home, and can't wait to have it again! The brussels sprouts were like candy! You don't have to like brussels spouts to like this preparation! The bread pudding was TO DIE FOR!!!!! And I don't ever eat bread pudding!! Etc., etc., etc.,.....!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place for a tiered dinnerAs87Dined on 11/20/2014we loved this place. Especially the highly recommended Stick Fig Pudding, it was amazing. The food was hit or miss around the table, they're pretty good about taking stuff back if you don't like it, we really liked some of our dishes but the others were very average so we just shared the good ones and moved on to that delicious pudding. Service is great, I believe our server was Chris, he was very courteous and knowledgable. Overall it was a great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/15/2014Took me a while to get a reservation for Saturday night. A week and a half in advance, and they only had 9pm availability. Consider that when making a reservation. We got there a little early and were able to be seated right away. We sat outside (they have heat lamps). The vibrant neighborhood outside the Yost theater was a different experience than others sleepy parts of OC (or maybe I just don't go out that much?). There was blasting music coming from a nearby club and groups of 20-30 year olds walking around (coming out of the club/Yost theater). Overall, I had a great experience. The food was excellent. The waitress explained that due to the nature of the daily changing menu and the experimental plates, substitutions were not allowed. If you're a foodie, you won't care. Everything tasted excellent. The only comment about that is that the plates are fairly small and intended to be shared; a couple of bites and you're done with your share. That's a good problem to have. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PHENOMENAL experience from start to finish!mrsmendyDined on 11/13/2014Every staffer was so very kind, happy and attentive to our request. I must single out the male host, the head bartender and our male server. So very refreshing to dine at a fine establishment where each passionate employee clearly relishes their profession. That tells me the owner is divine to them. BRAVO on a truly brilliant concept and soon to be empire.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creativity in the OC!!!!MonicaDined on 11/8/2014Get there, great service, great food. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally a restaurant that is fun!ScottbDined on 11/7/2014Fun, fantastic food and best service. Refreshingly fun place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/7/2014One of the best dinners I have ever hand hands down. If you are adventurous try Omakase style. You will not be disappointed. Food was fantastic and so was the service. Much of the Seating is community style which may turn some people off so go early for a little more space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!LuvfoodVIPDined on 11/1/2014Had the stripped Bass...Amazing!! Brussels sprouts... Off the charts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent tastesBigDVIPDined on 10/31/2014We had never heard of Playground, but went there to use a gift certificate our children gave us for our anniversary. What a treat this meal was! The menu changes daily and consists of creative combinations of ingredients from world cultures. We could not fault the food or the service..both were outstanding. We found the ambience a little unsettling. The restaurant layout is primarily for groups of 10 or 12 with a few tables for 4 on the floor. As a couple, we found our only seating choice was at the bar (full) or at counters facing out toward the street. We felt 'cut off' from the rest of the room. For me, being connected to the dining room is part of the restaurant experience. I suggest that the owner/chef add more tables for 2.Special Features:
- Fantastic!yoshiDined on 10/28/2014Everything we ate was amazing. The servers were extremely attentive & wanted to know our feedback on every dish. We told him everything was tasty except for one particular item which wasn't bad but a little strong on the palette. Next thing we know, he took it off our bill!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Be AdventurousBaconStr1psDined on 10/25/2014The menu is eccentric. The service is original. Wait....or was that the other way around? This place is great. The staff is excited about the food and everything from flavor to presentation is masterfully done. Don't let your own personal inhibitions keep you from trying things that sounds weird and new.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pork chopmusselchic14Dined on 10/25/2014we went with some friends to celebrate a birthday and because of the pork chop! it's big and delicious and didn't disappoint! the rest of the food was great also, brussels sprouts, green bean salad and pork belly buns. we all enjoyed our food and are looking forward to going back soon..Special Features:
- Never let's you downOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014We've been coming here consistently since we discovered the Playground. We've since tried our hand at 2.0 which is truly an experience. I highly recommend it to others he want great food. Also, they have a fantastic burger that is not on the menu.Special Features:
- 4diningoutDined on 10/24/2014The food was outstanding. There were four of us and we ordered four starter plates and four seconds. We shared everything and we raved over all the food. The brussel sprout dish and the scallops were especially wonderful. The wine list was small. A little pricey. We had a six o'clock reservation and our table was waiting for us when we got there. It's in an area of Santa Ana that I envision will continue to attract more restaurants and shops. Parking structure around the corner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eat here now.AyarterDined on 10/22/2014Just be aware, you are in their realm, will pay by their rules, and will love it. If you don't, you're just wrong. Oh, and get the fried chicken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PlaygroundOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/18/2014Have been many times to the Playground and love it. Sat night the food was incredible as always but the service was poor which is unusual so hoping it is because she was newer to serving and that it was an unusual occurrence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I bit too full of itselfMarcoVIPDined on 10/18/2014The cute menu commentary kind of let's you know you are in for a true hipster dining experience. The restaurant is indeed very hip hot at the moment. Not a particularly comfortable dining experience as most of the seating is at forced group high tables which are just plain awkward. The cocktails took forever to show up. Even a beer took a very long time to arrive. Food is sent out as it is prepared, i.e. in a jumble and ranged from good to very good. Best dish was the fried chicken. Brussell sprouts also worth ordering, but don't expect them to show up at nearly the same time as the chicken. Finally, there are "of menu" items about which you will not be advised. The hamburger seemed popular but you'll have to ask for it.Special Features:
- No private table pleaseopentable4meDined on 10/17/2014Host Keith was great. Unfortunately where we were seated was disappointing. "Private table" is not very pleasing since I made my appointment in advance with a request on the patio. We were seated next to a party of 20 and our server was preoccupied, not to blame him. Just disappointed because our main course was forgotten and we couldn't wait any longer. Brussel sprouts, tacos are a must. Tostada was ok. I wanted to have my birthday guest try the fried chicken, but that was the dish that was forgotten. Best cocktail, Flower Bank.Special Features:
- Great server, and figgy pudding!jainechapmanDined on 10/16/2014We had a very helpful and nice server, and the Black Mission Fig Sticky Toffee pudding was sublime!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as Usual!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014We always feel comfortable ordering ANYTHING from the menu because every dish is always delicious. Also, the free corkage makes us feel we can afford as much from the menu as looks interesting. This last experience we had a Wagyu dish that I will remember forever. The ocean trout was another standout. The meat just melted in my mouth with the most amazing flavor. We dined outside which is very comfortable even on a cool night because of the heat lamps. Service was beyond perfect! The only dish that didn't amaze was the squash. It tasted good but was a little heavy for a veggie. All the other dishes more than made up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food & too much attitudesnoidDined on 10/14/2014why does really good food have to be served with a "my way or the high way attitude" ? We liked the food combinations but wished that service and restaurant concept had a bit less " I have to be cool at all cost" factor . Yes, we love fresh, hot food but also like to eat together - having the dishes served whenever they are ready does not make for a nice dining experience . We however loved how beer and wine is served - great idea to make the beers smaller and the wine by the glass bigger . Great selection of both - we were amazed !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!LuvyummyeatsDined on 10/14/2014The food here is consistently A plus.. Tried the pork chop and it was wonderful ..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative Dining ExperienceCuriousGeorgeDined on 10/11/2014I had heard of Playground so went with a friend the other night. I made last minute reservations. Went early so was no problem. The drinks were unique, fun, and delicious. The menu is all over the place, so for a first time guest, a bit of explanation is appreciated. The waiter was friendly, but a bit impatient, as this must be tedious as the menu changes daily and I am sure there are constant questions. They are using great, unique ingredients (freshly cracked peppercorns on 1 cocktail) and the drinks were delicious. The jicama taco- so clean and pure tasting. The burger TO DIE FOR. Food comes out promptly. Very little wait, if any. Go......you won't regret it. I can't wait to try what's next from these over the top creative chefs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- never disappointedScubasteveDined on 10/9/2014I don't know how many times I have been to the playground, but it's always excellent. Staff is friendly and effective, food is always flawless. I won't recommend any particular dish because there's always something new, but you really can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014This place never disappoints! Decided to take my dad here and he loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Experienceluv2tasteDined on 10/8/2014This is a great find for a fine dining experience in a casual small downtown atmosphere. The food was unbelievable! Love the serving style and the creativity of the dishes. Great tastes and textures. Can't speak for the vibrant bar scene because we ate outside which was so enjoyable considering the old downtown atmosphere. The service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fun and classy experienceTeeareDined on 10/7/2014Met a friend for dinner the other night; it had been awhile since I had been to the Playground and if anything it's gotten better in my absence. Great from the beginning with a friendly welcome and walk to the table and then a warm greeting from our server. She was very knowledgeable about the menu, which led to some nice conversations and she took us through the fun bar and craft beer menu choices as well. Over the duration of our meal we interacted with several other members of the wait staff and were all as friendly, knowledgeable and focused on ensuring we had a very fun and enjoyable dining experience. While the service was top flight, it wouldn't have worked if the food wasn't at or above the same level, which it was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food!NathanHDined on 10/4/2014I went into Playground with very high expectations and they met or exceeded every one. Everything we ate was delicious. The drinks were also stellar. Lived up to their reputation and then some.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Playing at PlaygroundfoodislifeDined on 10/3/2014Playground was everything I thought it would be, the food was absolutely delicious and the service was top notch. Hearing about the Uncle Lous fried chicken me and my girlfriend ordered it and I will never look at chicken the same again. For desert we had the famous sticky fig pudding and fell in love. We can't wait to go back and explore the menu some more. Dined on 10/3/14Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Playground never disappoints!AprilKVIPDined on 10/1/2014I come to Playground 2-3 times a month. It is the best restaurant in Orange County! The menu is different every day, so every time you go you have a different experience. Some of my best visits have been when I looked at the menu and thought "I don't see anything that I HAVE to have"... So I try different things and end up falling in love! The ramen is always great, Uncle Lou's fried chicken is delicious, and don't forget about the sticky toffee pudding- I am usually too full to order dessert but it is SO worth saving room for if you have never had it. Staff is amazing, food is amazing... I LOVE PLAYGROUND!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eat and Play at Playground!lovegreatfoodVIPDined on 9/26/2014We are from Ohio and this is an outstanding place to eat and play when you are in the Santa Ana area! Each morsel of food here is served in a unique way and is super delicious! The menu is always fresh and usually you are tasting something that you have never tried before - it is awesome. We had Albacore Poke, Crispy Brussels Sprouts, Wild Mushrooms Philly Cheesesteak Style, Sweet Szechuan Ribs, Baby Sweet Potato, Cauliflower Hearts, Cecina Tacos and Waygu Tri Tip - mmmmm! The Sticky Toffee Pudding is so tasty. Our servers Josh and Bob were very dedicated and extremely helpful - the service is just wonderful. Even the host Keith is great! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014This was our first time to visit The Playground and it was fantastic! The food was simply amazing and the service was exceptional. We will definitely be going back again and since the menu changes daily, it will always be a new experience when we visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Playground DTSAOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/26/2014Overall, Playground was good. Drinks were great, service was good, and the food was mostly good with some disappointments. The general complaint about the food was that it was over salted. Specifically the Skate wing was seasoned with too much salt. Otherwise, the flavors were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beyondyummDined on 9/26/2014It was nothing short of excellent we (boyfriend) always love visiting your placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and Fun ExperienceRKRKDined on 9/24/2014We were seated at a long bar-height table that could seat 12 and there were other diners at the table as well. All of the servers were very friendly and helpful in deciding what to order. Floral Park cocktail was outstanding, bourbon based but not over-powering or too sweet. Beers on Tap are too numerous to list and unique. I love that there are many small plates and you can try a lot of different things. Pork Belly steam buns were great as was the Ceviche taco in a Jicama tortilla. My husband said he could have eaten 10 of those. Wagyu beef could be ordered by the ounce, so you don't have to fill up on an 8 oz. steak. Great dessert menu, Hazelnut Cake with Fennel Panna Cotta was so good my dessert hating hubby ate half of it!Special Features:
- Great experience!CARobDined on 9/24/2014I went Playground with a group of coworkers and we had a great time. The food was unique and amazing, service was very good, and the overall atmosphere was fun and energetic. The backstory of the restaurant was a good read, and I especially enjoyed to unique names for the food choices. And also Uncle Lou's Chicken was as good as advertised.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tastebuds dream!sidesqueezeDined on 9/20/2014Menu selection is unique and everything, meats included, were cooked to perfection. Great use of vegetables, sauces, to enhance the proteins on the dish. The service was outstanding and we felt immediately welcomed and like was wanted to stay. Finished dishes never sat on our table taking up space and the servers always confirmed before taking it that we were finished. The staff was knowledgeable about the menu, which changes daily, and it was exciting to try new combinations of food and vegetables. The menu is priced correctly and the more expensive items are worth every penny (Glazed Pork Chop $35, wow, it was out of this world amazing). I am looking forward to returning sometime soon.Special Features:
- Fabulous findnonicknameVIPDined on 9/20/2014We dine there frequently and absolutely love the tastes, the service, the scene, particularly outdoors.Special Features:
- gwen made my experiencegoodstuffDined on 9/19/2014the food was excellent. i had heard great things about the place and the playground lived up to the hype. to me gwen our server was a delight and she made my experience that much better. thank you geen and playground for an awesome tastey evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.