7360 Beverly Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90036Neighborhood:
Beverly / Fairfax / La Brea / Third St.
Latin / SpanishPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.playarivera.com/
- Phone: 3239335300
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Tuesday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm Wednesday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 12:00am Friday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 12 am Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10am - 2pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Mexican, Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: John Rivera Sedlar
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact for details: 323-933-5300
- Private Party Facilities: Vaquero Room seats 32 along 2 long tables. The restaurant can seat up to 95 people for a sit down and 150 for a cocktail party.
- Private Party Contact: Brian Cousins 3239335300
- Special Events: Please contact Brian Cousins for details at 323-933-5300. Or email to Brian@playarivera.com
A word from Playa
Playa is more than a "Beach". It represents the open air, laid-back, coastal lifestyle that is Los Angeles. Playa expresses a relaxed, urban latin vibe, as envisioned by Chef/Owner John Rivera Sedlar and the creative team who have turned his vision into a restaurant reality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Playa reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great food but way to expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/2/2013Great food but way to expensive for the tiny portion sizes. Small plates Is one thing but these were small bites!Special Features:
- amazing food but service wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/2/2013amazing food but service was very slow - nice servers but mixed up our orders and came one small plate at a time that took forever in between plates- and the noise level was ridiculous. Between the music and the acoustics you could barely have a conversation. First time I went I sat in bar area and service was slow but food was delicious. This time sat at a table and service was slow, restaurant was too noisy, but food was delicious - great cocktails and wine list too. Especially love the Hamachi cones,the swordfish tacos and the filet mingon tamales. The Bejing duck looked better than it tasted. Wasn't served hot enough.Special Features:
- Great, but super pricey!smltwnbeauty33Dined on 3/2/2013So I went here for a bday dinner. Thank goodness since it was quite pricey and we don't mind spending money when it is for good food... however when you hear the word "tapas and los angeles" it means super expensive or you leave hungry! The food flavor was fantastic though. I loved the green beans/egg/bacon dish... it was so good. All the cones are so yummy. The blue corn tacos are amazing too.Special Features:
- A few of our dishes were reallyAndrewVIPDined on 2/27/2013A few of our dishes were really great, a couple were really good, and a couple were kinda meh. I had the Mexican headhunter cocktail which was very tasty. The service was pretty good, though a bit absent at times. Overall it was pretty good, though perhaps a bit overpriced for such a mixed quality of the dishes. Not sure if we'll go back, but perhaps. It's cool that they have a rotating menu of fusion items. When we went it was Mexican-Chinese.Special Features:
- Chinese-Mexican fusion? Why not?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/23/2013Really tasty and creative food. Some dishes worked better than others though. We loved the Chinesca chicken salad cone as a starter, and the bok choy with black garlic and dehydrated shiitake mushrooms is incredible. Tacos Jacieu Plascencia should not be missed and the tamal chipotle with wild mushrooms corn masa dumplings, sliced filet mignon and chipotle bearnaise, made my mouth water. We tried the Mexican City sundae and although the ice cream was a little bland and the caramel too spicy, the passion fruit whipped cream and the blue cornmeal chocolate chip cookies were spectacular and brought this dish to be come more than the sum of its parts.Special Features:
- Having dined at Playa severalOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/21/2013Having dined at Playa several times previously with great experiences, our expectations were understandably high. Our recent experience was less than expected. The wait staff was less than informative about the unique cuisine and preparation and more concerned about getting the order in and up charge the ordering. Felt a little pressured by our waiter to place our multi-dish order. He suggested that he place the order for us and "keep the food coming". ????? The new Chinese-Mexican twist in the menu proved to be tasty. The major disappointment came at the end of the meal when the "Mexico City Sundaes" were served with cold and crumbly blue-corn meal cookies and ice-cold caramel sauce which would not pour out. This was previously a highSpecial Features:
- The menu was really hit orAlineaLoverDined on 2/16/2013The menu was really hit or miss. Pastrami tacos were amazing but the mussels were actually bad. A disappointment after a great brunch visit last year.
- Playatastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/16/2013Every item was absolutely scintillating and delicious, especially the mussels! Menu is incredibly innovative, staff very knowledgeable, and overall experience a 5 out of 5. I especially like that even though it's a popular, high end place, you are never rushed and allowed to enjoy every moment, every bite. Cocktails and wine list also top notch and a great match for the menuSpecial Features:
- Make a Reservation and Go!BababrentwoodDined on 2/15/2013A Foodie recommended Playa to us and billed it as her favorite restaurant. We Loved It! Exceeded expectations! Each dish was creative and delicious. The service was great and so helpful on how to order. Did you know they have their own rooftop garden and grow the vegetables organically? My advice, make a reservation and go.Special Features:
- I really enjoy coming to Playa.moondogVIPDined on 2/15/2013I really enjoy coming to Playa. Their current menu is, to put it mildly, very spicy. If you don't like food with heat, don't dine at Playa! Even my drink was piquante, but delicious.Special Features:
- Valentine's Day BustOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2013We were not happy with our Valentine's Day experience. Because we booked via OpenTable (according to the hostess), we were seated in a dark room in the back with one other couple. The food was ok, not great. We were somewhat ignored by the waiter, as she was focused on tables in the main room. Bill was over $200. Felt like a rip-off. Won't return.
- Great brunchLeahs11Dined on 2/10/2013The food was epic. What can I say? Creative, perfect portion sizes, and a solitely delicious. The brunch polenta and the sundae were ones I will go back for.Special Features:
- So disappointed with the food.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/9/2013So disappointed with the food. I'm a big fan of Rivera in downtown Los Angeles and I thought the food here would be just as good, but it was a huge disappointment. The staff was wonderful and helpful and the drinks plentiful, but the food was seriously lacking and our party of six left completely unsatisfied.
- The food is inventive andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/1/2013The food is inventive and the portions inviting. Too salted for my taste but interesting. It's unfortunately way too noisy to enjoy a great conversation.Special Features:
- Wait staff very nice. FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/1/2013Wait staff very nice. Food arrived cold. Expected the food to be memorable -- it was mediocre. Excellent mixologist -- drinks were great. Excellent desert, and a few tasty sauces. But overall, this was slightly elevated bar food (only slightly) and good drinks. This was a major disappoint because thought it would be as good as Rivera downtown. Not even close. Plus REALLY LOUD.Special Features:
- Just a very special placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/29/2013Just a very special place to have a great meal...professional & fun staff!Special Features:
- Celebrated my husband's 40thOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/19/2013Celebrated my husband's 40th birthday here. Food was a delicious fusion of Mexican and Asian. Drinks were very tasty! Only down side was that the service was really slow.Special Features:
- Playa falls on hard timesOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/16/2013It seems Playa has hit on hard times. Service was haphazard with the waiter in a work shirt and jeans, which is fine in general, but in a restaurant whose decor aspires to eclectic hip? As one of our party of four mentioned after dinner, "I feel like nothing we ordered was memorable." And we ordered almost everything on the menu. We placed an order for a number of appetizers and "cones." We were charged for a double order of one cone, which we noticed on the bill, because the waiter concluded a party of four would want four, not two. Well, ask next time. (They did take it off the bill.) We never saw anyone really in charge and asked at one point to speak to the manager, who explained he had been in the kitchen "expediting" for the past hour
- The food was outstanding -OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/13/2013The food was outstanding - we sampled many items on the brunch menu. The chipotle eggs benedict is by far the best eggs benedict I have ever had. The bacon, panqueques, Waffle, Polenta, and blue corn muffins were stellar. Great service, amazing flavor combinations - I've already been twice in 1 week!Special Features:
- I read reviews and was awaitingLAPhilattendeeVIPDined on 1/12/2013I read reviews and was awaiting a better meal and experience than I had. From the get-go, the service was unprofessional and lackadaisical, and the food was nearly unpalatable. This place may not last that long...go someplace for a better meal, better service, and better value.
- How can a menue get better?OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/11/2013How can a menue get better? Playa's just did. Always a favorite, now with the Chinese/Mexican menue even better. We could have ordered every thing off the menue.Special Features:
- I liked this place a lot.Sjman2Dined on 1/5/2013I liked this place a lot. The spring roll was very greasy but all the other food was different and tasty . Excellent staff and very accommodating to our vegetarian diner.Special Features:
- A "Chinexican" treat!WehoRobDined on 1/5/2013Playa serves up an intriguing mix of Chinese-Mexican fusion tapas-style dishes that works. Tasty combinations of Mexican ingredients with Asian techniques result in new tastes that never disappoint, e.g., a tamale that is actually a steamed dim sum bun made of masa (corn meal) stuffed with seafood. Service is friendly, attentive, and attitude-free. The atmosphere is casual. The noise level is tolerable. Because tapas dishes are appetizer-sized portions, expect to order three to four plates per person. And it's even more fun if you share with those in your party to get the full experience. The menu changes every few months.Special Features:
- A Real Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/31/2012What a great place. This was our third time at Playa. The first time was filled with great food, good ambience and a very comfortable table. The service is attentive but doesn't overwhelm. We liked the place so much that we came back with our employees for a brunch. The suiveed eggs?, unusual menu and again great ambience made the experience a real celebration. By chance I called on New Year's Eve and got a late table for 2. Again Playa didn't disappoint; unusual food, good wine, and ambience all made for one of our best New Year's. The staff went out of their way to please. At the end of our meal I asked for the shrimp ceviche but not too spicy. I didn't realize it but they made a special batch for just our table!Special Features:
- It was NYE 2013, so it wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2012It was NYE 2013, so it was busy, but good food, and our waiter didn't forget about us even though the kitchen was backed up, so he gave us some champagne. Good Place to check out.Special Features:
- Hadn't been back to PlayaLaRubiaVIPDined on 12/31/2012Hadn't been back to Playa since Chef shifted the menu from a Pan Latin focus to more of a Mexi-Chinese vibe, but after our New Year's Eve experience, we will be back! Still dreaming of the rajas poblanos and the ceviche cone - I probably could have alternated between the two dishes all night, although that would have meant missing some other fabulous dishes, so that would have been a bad idea. And the big take-away is that we need more duck eggs in our lives.Special Features:
- Playa - the best!BradmuzicDined on 12/29/2012John Sedlar is truly one of the best, if not the best, chefs in the country. Playa is a revelation! First time for brunch and it was amazing...every detail of every dish was perfect, tasty and amazingly satisfying!Special Features:
- I will definitely try againOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 12/28/2012I will definitely try again at some point but for now, I just don't like the chef's current fetish ... Mexican/Chinese fusion. Everything was odd. Everything was okay. Everything was spicy. Nothing was exceptional.
- New Mexi-Chinese menu is notOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/27/2012New Mexi-Chinese menu is not as successful as previous Baja menu which was excellent. Food is still interesting but pastrami tacos are a stunt.Special Features:
- Playa is such an underratedJohnnyCaliDined on 12/26/2012Playa is such an underrated and over-criticized restaurant; it simply is one of the best fancy Mexican restaurants in the city (it is now Mexican-Chinese but that still counts imho). The tapas style small plates are all delightful and the cocktails, courtesy of Julian Cox, are second only to those at Rivera. Just ask for a Pablo Escobar. Cheers.Special Features:
- Our second visit to Playa-OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/23/2012Our second visit to Playa- this time not quite as memorable. Great cocktails but the new menu did not seem as interesting.Special Features:
- Just excellent,been thereOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/22/2012Just excellent,been there before,will return! Grat food,drinks are amazing!! What a gem! Mexico. City sundae to die for.....Special Features:
- Food was excellent, howeverSarahtDined on 12/16/2012Food was excellent, however portions very small for the price, you need to order a lot of dishes to fill up. Would be nice to have a few main courses or bigger plates for people who are hungry after 6 tapas.Special Features:
- toooo spicy ... i enjoy somefoodeaterVIPDined on 12/14/2012toooo spicy ... i enjoy some heat, but pretty much everything was too heavy handed with spice
- I'm a regular because of theirOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/8/2012I'm a regular because of their exceptional service, great craft cocktails, and exquisite food.Special Features:
- We went with a Gilt City Coupon.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/6/2012We went with a Gilt City Coupon. Chef's Tasting menu for two. Turned out to be more like one portion shared by two. We ordered other plates otherwise we would have gone home hungry. Not a good valueSpecial Features:
- This place is awesome! TheChengVIPDined on 12/2/2012This place is awesome! The idea behind it is to bring fresh, green Latin food carefully presented to you like an art piece. I loved how creative every dish is. Don't forget to try the ice cream with a cucumber on it. Oh wow!Special Features:
- The food is both beautifulOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/2/2012The food is both beautiful and delicious...can't wait to return!Special Features:
- The hamachi tartare cone andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/1/2012The hamachi tartare cone and the tamale chipotle were my favorites. Seriously, I could eat those hamachi cones all night! The mixologists here are spectacular as well! I will be going back for happy hour for sure! The ambiance and decode are great. They have spectacular light fixtures!Special Features:
- A great selection of unusualEugenaDined on 11/25/2012A great selection of unusual dishes, all delicious! A special treat.Special Features: