111 Dupont St
Toronto, ON M5R 1V4Neighborhood:
Rosedale / Summerhill
MexicanPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.playacabana.ca/
- Phone: 4169293911
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 12:00pm - late
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Playa Cabana
We’re a favourite here on the Dupont strip. Steps from Yorkville and an oasis from the downtown core, we at Playa Cabana offer traditional Mexican fare with a cosy neighbourhood feel. Fresh seafood specials, handmade tortillas, local artisan-made ingredients, and premium tequila-based cocktails merge with a relaxed atmosphere and a passionate service staff to provide a truly authentic experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Playa Cabana - Best Restaurants in Rosedale / Summerhill ›
Playa Cabana reviews from OpenTable diners
120 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (72)fit for foodies (59)hot spot (47)great for outdoor dining (35)special occasion (17)great for lunch (15)vibrant bar scene (12)good for groups (12)romantic (12)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (7)great for brunch (5)Show More
- ExcellentmavdVIPDined on 8/23/2014Excellent service from our waiter Roberto. Great food as always!Special Features:
- Didn't make it to the tableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014so much attitude at the door by the hostess and never made it to the table , was looking forward to the meal, but would rather give my money to a friendlier placeSpecial Features:
- Notable food, satisfactory noiseeagledinkDined on 8/22/2014Considering how excellent the food was, I imagined the patio would have a much greater 'buzz'.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Great place. A little crowded but the food is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disorganized, UncomfortableVillageDined on 8/12/2014We were left standing without a word as to what was happening with our reservation. We were told we had a table outside, after waiting some more we were told to sit in a corner inside. The table we were brought to was cramped, hot, noisy, & leaning dramatically to one side. Our appetizers arrived (ceviche and quacamole) with one lone bowl of chips. Drinks then took 25 min.'s to arrive. Mains arrived in reasonable time but our server was again nowhere to be found when it came time for our bill. We had to go to the bar to finally get our invoice. Disappointed that we had made reservations in advance and were looking forward to our dinner, only to be seated in such poor conditions- with a lovely server who was far to harried to serve.
- Mediocre MexicanfoodieVIPDined on 8/10/2014Why can't people in Toronto get Mexican right. Adding hot sauce to bland tasteless food does not make good Mexican. The fish tacos have no taste. The guacamole is tasteless and too creamy.
- They Could Spice up their GameShipintheNightDined on 8/8/2014A pleasant spot, but they seem to be riding on the coattails of earlier success. The food was barely warm enough and the beer was not quite cold enough. The service staff were confused and pretty slow, at an off-peak time of day. On a positive note, the people were friendly and the ambience was nice.Special Features:
- Playa Cabana ReviewwebgoilDined on 8/3/2014Pros: Good food Nice atmosphere Good (fast) service Good prices Cons: I would have appreciated being asked if I wanted a seat on the patio when I made the reservation online. Complementary nachos and salsa would have been a nice touch. Summary: Will definitely recommend to others and return again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent all aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/29/2014Food was good....some things were notably better then others. Burritos were off the charts amazing. Civeche was adequate but not as good as Hacienda and the corn dish that is supposed to be a house speciality was lousy. Soggy, tasteless, greasy.....But the prices are decent so it's good overall value. But the service was horrible. Our waiter was beyond useless. Didn't offer any help, seemed to be in a lousy mood.....we felt embarrassed or intimidated to ask him any questions. He served us the wrong drinks.. Made it seem like our fault. Half way through dinner he must have realized his tip was in jeopardy because he asked us about 10 times "is everything OK". That was also annoying. Once or twice would have sufficed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/28/2014I always enjoy the food but service was lousy. Had to track down our server for everything, including ordering more drinksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience!CatSDined on 7/27/2014We had quite a large party to celebrate a birthday this past Sunday. Although Playa does not normally have the capacity to fit these large groups, they were very helpful through the planning process. The manager and our server were both extremely accommodating to all of our requests. The food was delicious and authentic, and the margaritas are delightful! The chicken tinga tacos and the catch of the day fish tacos were on point and tasted like more! Do not skip out on the guac.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- shabvDined on 7/26/2014I have been to playa cabana a few times but this time around i found the food this time around not so great. Fish Tacos were blend Ancho Braised Shortrib-Brisket Crispy Tacos - delicous Tres Leche Cake - dry Service was okay, i found the server not that helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and lots of funloshemDined on 7/19/2014Great food and lots of fun, try the corn, it's amazing!Special Features:
- brunelloVIPDined on 7/18/2014Waited a Long time for a cocktail. But it is always like this! Food always good
- Lovely Lobster tacosJillybeanDined on 7/15/2014I love this restaurant for its really delicious, authentic, freshly-made food. The last time I was there I absolutely adored the red sangria; this time white sangria not as much. We seem to be really crammed into the main room this time and could barely hold a conversation due to the noise level. Wished we were outdoors on the wonderful patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!OriginalMSDined on 7/12/2014Delicious margaritas with a buzz that slowly creeps up on you! Tasty fresh food reminicant of fair your would find on a hopping strip in Mexico. Roasted corn is incredible. Loved my meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nom nomSenoritaTacoDined on 7/11/2014I wouldn't exactly say romantic but it's a fantastic date spot or place to go w a friend or two!!! I have already recommended it to friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's the point of a reservation?OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/7/2014We made this reservation 2 months prior. When we got there, on time, they had clearly given away our reservation. They told us it would be 10 minutes and asked that we stand on the sidewalk so we weren't in the way. It took 35 minutes for them to seat us. No real apology. When we sat down we quickly ordered the guacamole because we were quite hungry. then 15-20 minutes after that we ordered it again when it was forgotten.
- Excellent authentic MexicanFoodiesDined on 7/6/2014We had dinner the other night at Playa Cabana - the food was amazing. Fresh HOT corn chips with guacamole, tacos, nachos and one full dinner plus an excellent pitcher of margaritas. The tacos were very authentic, fresh, and crisply flavoured - you could definitely taste all the different ingredients. The fish tacos were exceptional. My husband had the full dinner - carne assada - it was a large portion of steak with accompanying side dishes. It was a very enjoyable experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!!CelesteDined on 7/2/2014It's always busy and energetic, which is fun. if you're looking for a quiet romantic night this isn't the place. great drinks and great service. the guacamole (sp?) is outstanding, as are the chips. I always have the fish tacos and they are fantastic. there are other "groovy" mexican places in the city now, but I feel like this was the first. Started the trend.
- Lacking...ALo78VIPDined on 7/1/2014This place use to be high quality food & service. The past two times I've gone, it's lacked what it once had. The vibe is 'we're a money maker' which has led to lower quality overall. Much better spots in the city to get better Mexican food with great service and good vibes.
- Avoid in the summerMichaelDined on 6/30/2014It's a popular restaurant that's surely making great revenue, obvious from the $14 pina coladas and lineups. For the love of God, please invest in ample air conditioning! Our table was right off the kitchen and truthfully the experience was ruined by the excruciating heat. Add in a server that took an order incorrectly and a lengthy wait for our food and you have a visit we'd like to forget. We didn't even mind not being given dessert menus because we were eager to get out of there. My ceviche tasted like a lime salad, the poor seafood got lost. The steak tostada was delicious however. Fish tacos needed a bit more sauce and acid to bring the dish together. I've braved through heat for amazing worldwide dishes before - wouldn't do so here.Special Features:
- Delicious!eaterDined on 6/30/2014"I love the relaxed feel of this place – like a comfortable dining room in a friends home. I definitely would return to try more dishes. The potato-leek soup was amazing and the Bibb lettuce salad was refreshing. The table was split on the monkfish – one person thought it was great, but another felt that the tastes didn't quite mesh. Everyone loved the flat iron steak. Service was well-timed and friendly, wines were affordable."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- caraDined on 6/28/2014Good foot, great marguerites, and best guacamole....but..it took forever for our first drinks to arrive - the pitcher sat at the bar for at least ten minutes. We knew the waiter had another table that was taking a long time to order, but then we saw him take another 5 minutes to enter the order, instead of quickly bringing us our drinks. We had pretty much finished our appetizers by then. Our server was not so friendly. He kind of had an attitude that he was doing us a favour. Also, we were asked to have the bill brought to us so they could make room for the 9p.m. reservations. If you want to dine leisurely, best to probably tell them that as it can be busy and crowded.Special Features:
- Always DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014Playa Cabana is always a pleasure to go to... a casual atmosphere with delicious food, and an amazing cocktail list. If you can get a seat on the patio (which is small, so not always guaranteed-- try to show up early!) you're golden :)Special Features:
- Awesome foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/27/2014We had the guac, crab cakes, burrito and the steak tortillas, all of which were delicious. Servings were very generous.Special Features:
- PriceesperantaDined on 6/23/2014I enjoy this place - in terms of food, ambience, and great drinks. However, I think some of the food items are over-priced and I do not understand why the prices of drinks have increased so much in recent months?? Pitchers of margarita or Mojito Cubano have increased by 70%.Special Features:
- Fantastic service at Playa CabanaFoodfunDined on 6/22/2014There were a few surprises from the kitchen as there were ingredients (avacado) that were not listed on the menu. They were quick to apologize and help remedy the situation. Same thing happened with our salad where cheese was added but not listed. Otherwise, it's a great spot, our waiter was very friendly and the place, although tiny is packed with a fun crowd. It's a casual atmosphere and we would definitely go back - making sure they were aware of any allergies or dietary needs so there would be no surprises!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first date at Playa CabanainlovedinerDined on 6/21/2014I went to Playa Cabana for a first date and I had a great time. There's lots to choose from and the small restaurant creates a very romantic atmosphere and forces you to be close to you date. The food was delicious, and perfect for sharing.Special Features:
- Authentic MexicannixreneeDined on 6/20/2014This was our first visit to Playa Cabana and it won't be our last. We were early and our table was ready. Our server Sergio was attentive and gave us great suggestions about drinks and meal choices. We were not disappointed. The tacos and burritos were amazing. The serving size was perfect. There was so much flavour. Dessert was fantastic! The churros melted in your mouth and leche cake was way lighter than I expected. I would definitely recommend this place to other people (I already have) and I will check out the other 3 locations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste has been changedpatientlady23Dined on 6/17/2014I've been to all the locations restaurant. I've tried barrio coreano, Playa cabana, Cantina, and Hacienda. Above all, the Playa Cabana was the best, so I went back there again. But it was not same taste as before, and the service as well. We've ordered a lot of food, but no one comes for clean the table nor asking if we need anything. I understand, the place is very busy, but I would not recommend to go there again.Special Features:
- Great FoodluvfoodDined on 6/15/2014Reminded us of our recent trip to Mexico and all the yummy food we had. Each dish was great and so were the micheladas - Great ambience and flavours!Special Features:
- AmazinglatdiorDined on 6/11/2014We were a group of 6 and we truly enjoyed it. Best thing to do is to call in advance to reserve because the place gets filled quickly. I mean who doesn't enjoy such good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointeddiningdiva1Dined on 6/9/2014We were a party of 5, seated at a very small table for 4 (one chair crammed at the end). It's great to accommodate people, but not at the expense of crowding and making one uncomfortable. Also affected the 2 people at the table beside us. It was extremely noisy - almost impossible to have any conversation.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/8/2014Food was absolutely fantastic. Restaurant is a little crowded, but overall it has a cool ambiance. Food is just out of this world though.Special Features:
- Always a great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/4/2014This is a bustling restaurant where everyone always seems to be having a great time. Awesome margaritas and all the food either myself or friends/family have tried have been excellent. Especially love the guacamole with fresh chips!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GuinevereDined on 5/27/2014Absolutely no complaints. It's very busy, so you have the sense that you're part of a scene. Mohitos were delicious enough to have two. Tacos -- one carnita, one pollo -- were tasty and filling. I recommend a bowl of guacamole with corn chips to start.
- Grill BrokeETLBDined on 5/26/2014Reserved a table by the window. Nice waiter. Had predinner drinks and chips with guacamole. Put our dinner order in, about 20 min. later our waiter told us their grill broke and there would be no dinner. He apologized profusely. We could only order their salad...my husband needs a meal. So we got the bill for our chips and guacamole and drinks and left. We are not from Toronto and I understand it is not their fault but it really did make for a much longer evening....trying to find another restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but disorganized & smallOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/24/2014The food was good, but when it came to getting the table we reserved, that's another story. Our reservation was for 9pm & so were about 15 other people's! We were all just waiting. People had been waiting over an hour. I understand that the people with 7pm tables were still seated, then don't take 9pm reservations. The restaurant is small & the design is very congested. Everyone was standing in line and the poor servers were trying to get by with the food. The hostess was nice and trying to accommodate everyone, but it just wasn't happening. Half the patio was empty & they still didn't seat anyone. When we finally sat down, the server was very efficient & the food was good. But I don't think I would return given how disorganized it is!Special Features:
- Not my fave this time roundOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/21/2014Been a while since I was here. Enjoyable as always but service lacked this time and food wasn't as great as prior visits however will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.