Playa Cabana Hacienda
14 Dupont St
Toronto, ON M5R 1V4Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: CAN$30 and under
Playa Cabana Hacienda
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.playacabana.ca/
- Phone: (647) 352-6030
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 2:00am
Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Playa Cabana Hacienda
We’re a favourite here on the Dupont strip. Steps from Yorkville and an oasis from the downtown core, we at Playa Cabana offer traditional Mexican fare with a cosy neighbourhood feel. Fresh seafood specials, handmade tortillas, local artisan-made, organic ingredients, and premium tequila-based cocktails merge with a relaxed atmosphere and a passionate service staff to provide a truly authentic experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Playa Cabana Hacienda - Best Restaurants in Yorkville ›
Playa Cabana Hacienda reviews from OpenTable diners
133 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (74)hot spot (69)fit for foodies (63)good for groups (46)great for outdoor dining (36)late-night find (20)vibrant bar scene (18)special occasion (14)great for lunch (12)kid-friendly (5)romantic (3)great for brunch (3)Show More
- Great food, great spotAdamDined on 11/18/2014The food here is just spectacular. I always find myself eating far more than i should, just because I want more of it. Service was okay, not great. I love the ambiance and would come back anytimeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun spot!takemytime2dineDined on 11/8/2014A very good experience. The food was fresh and very delicious. The service was friendly, and when I asked for recommendations, the server was helpful. I was hosting out-of-town guests and they were raving about the restaurant for the rest of the weekend! The only issue was the speed of service. Our appetizers and mains arrived at the same time, before we even received our drinks! Given I was firmly reminded that the table had a two-hour time limit when I received a reminder call, I felt a bit rushed. If you want a more leisurely experience, I would clarify that you want your apps and main separately. (You'll still have lots of time, we were done in an hour.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, but busy!Kate123Dined on 11/7/2014I've been several times-you definitely need to make a reservation (unless you are planning to go at 5 or 10) It's dark and noisy, which some friends have said they couldn't see their menus or hear conversation. Great for dates, family gatherings, etc... When it's really busy, you better only have 1 or 2 q's...the waiters are usually too busy to want to help. Having food allergies, I found this frustrating my first couple of visits. The food is SOO good though! Great if you have gluten and dairy allergies, there is lots of choice...almost the entire menu! If you are in a group, be warned that food comes out as it's ready, so one person may be finished before the other has began. Awkward if you are on a date and it's just 2 of you, haha!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Viva Mexicana on the of YorkvilleBarColDined on 11/4/2014A terrific find! Tacos tried were delicious. Mexican Corn on the cob was excellent and good Drinks. Portion sizes were excellent and prices good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experience but not greatTorontoGuyDined on 10/31/2014We went to Playa Cabana for a birthday dinner (group of 9). Service was good, atmosphere was pretty cool too. Food was just OK though, nothing spectacular though. I thought it was overpriced for what we got, especially since I've been to Rancho Relaxo and Margerita's here in Toronto and got much better food for a lot less. We didn't like the fact we weren't told ahead of time there was an automatic gratuity added to each bill for groups of people over 8, that would've been good to know for our guests. Playa Cabana's in a great spot, has a great patio and tons of potential but the food really needs to be done better. That being said, I'm willing to try it again when the nice weather rolls around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousAlexMacKDined on 10/29/2014We loved the cedar smell of the warm enclosed balcony. The service was equally warm and inviting. The cocktail pitchers all looked delicious but we drove and couldn't try them… but we'll know better next time. The shortrib tacos were incredible. We paid using the Tab app! Too fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatLaineyDined on 10/21/2014Every dish was delicious. Service was great. Can't wait to come back to sample more items on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Part of the Playa chainK4CMDined on 10/14/2014I am a HUGE fan of all of the rest of the Playa chain but didn't think this lived up to any of the other ones. I wouldn't go again unless I couldn't get a reservation at one of the others.Special Features:
- Mexican That RocksErezDined on 10/12/2014We had made it in this weekend for a nice dinner with some friends. This place is tight, but very cool. The decor and atmosphere are amazing. The drinks are great. They make amazing drinks, producing their own syrups makes the difference. Everything is made fresh and quick. The hot sauces on the table are a key in having a good time. We had the short rib, grilled fish, and churizo taco's. All great. Unfortunatelyy they ran out of the Churro that night, but the chocolate cake was a great backup. Definitee place to come back to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Playa Cabana HaciendaLuvtennisandfoodDined on 10/7/2014Excellent margaritas. Good food and fun atmosphere. Seating is a bit cramped but I would still go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only OkayFoodisloveDined on 10/4/2014Upon being seated we told that we had to be out in 2 hours. A standard disclaimer I'm sure, but not a great way to start the night. The staff was attentive, though we had to ask twice for every drink. Overall, the food was a bit greasy and heavy. The spare rib taco shell was deep fried, not neccassry, especially after greasy chips and salsa. Fun atmosphere, but food could be brighter and a bit lighter/ fresher.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014Amazing food and ambience. Great servoce / such friendly staffSpecial Features:
- Always greatcanoffflieeceDined on 10/2/2014I have been here a few times now. I always get the grilled fish tacos in lettuce shells. Not once have I been disappointed! The food is consistently good, the staff are friendly and knowledgeable and the venue is hip and fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyAndyJaneEatsDined on 10/1/2014Great spot, always busy and you are packed in, but it is a fun environment! The top shelf margaritas are delicious, as are the chips, guac and tacos - the salsa was the only miss. Worth trying, and going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoshDined on 10/1/2014Tables were a bit too close together, was a bit disruptive to our lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great staff!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/26/2014Everything was excellent. The best Mexican inspired food I have had Toronto!!! I highly recommend to try this joint, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Vibrant atmosphereCoopdedoopDined on 9/20/2014We booked at Hacienda, but initially went to another location because I forgot to tell my husband there were four locations of Playa Cabana..but, it was just down the street. We were seated upstairs and then told a big party was coming in and we would be moved in an hour and a half. We were not thrilled with that idea, but a table for four opened downstairs and it was perfect. Fun atmosphere, initially noisy but we adjusted. We had delicious shrimp appetizers, glaucoma and chips, great lobster enchiladas, and a pitcher of sugar free margaritas. All ages, mostly younger than us.Special Features:
- Good food, Terrible seatingLuvsfood22VIPDined on 9/18/2014Went to Playa Cabana on a Thursday evening (around 530) and the place was already quite busy. Inside the restaurant is SUPER cramped as they place tables so close together, you're practically sitting on your neighbors. Our waiter literally was leaning on top of me to serve the people sitting in corner as the space was too small for him to actually walk next to the table. After getting cracked in the head by the waiters' elbow twice, we decided to eat outside in some pretty brisk fall weather, but the extra space was worth it. The food itself was good. Started with the Camerones Palomitas - very good. As well as the braised short rib and La Truck tacos - also both good. Wouldn't go back solely because of the seating though. Just terrible.Special Features:
- Fun vs foodBdavis64VIPDined on 9/14/2014The Hacienda was hopping with a packed house on our Sunday evening visit. Service was friendly and attentive and the place has a fun vibe. Food could not keep pace. It was all good but entirely unexceptional. Happy to return when with a group because its fun! But don't have super high expectations for a dining experience.Special Features:
- lkreDined on 9/12/2014It was freezing cold and they made us sit outside even though we had a reservation. Was not appropriate weather for that and therefore we were just rushing to leave.
- Four Star FindSkiddlesDined on 9/11/2014Went here for my lady's birthday and was not disappointed. Apart from the somewhat cramped seating this was an excellent find. The food was delicious and the service was professional and "on the ball". We ate and dined to our hearts content for just over 200. Try the lobster taco if you get the chance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingWorldtravellerDined on 9/11/2014We had heard so many positive reviews about this place so we decided to take our friends from Europe there on their first evening in Canada! We were so disappointed: the noise level prevented any conversation unless we yelled at each other, the chairs were uncomfortable, the food took close to 30 min to arrive and did not excite us at all, one waitress while re-filling our water managed to pour it all over us!!! When we asked about the Ceviche and wanted to know the fish of the day- she did not know! All in all a very dissppointing experience.
- We're a fanChi888Dined on 9/9/2014We're a fan of the place, and have tried their locations on both the two restaurants of Dupont as well as the Junction. Definitely would return only thing is reservations or getting a spot in especially when it first opened we found the staff not so helpful or kind and tried 3 times as we workout at the gym close by on Dupont and gave up for a year. Seems like they are more able to take on walks ins and rsvp now so that is nice. I prefer the south side of the restaurant on Dupont then the north side thought the patio is much bigger on the north side on Dupont. Good food overall.Special Features:
- Great meal on the 2nd floor patiosometimesigotorestaurantsDined on 9/6/2014Took my GF here for dinner on her birthday. She loves Mexican food and so do I. Playa Cabana is nice looking spot with a patio by the sidewalk and another patio on the second floor looking out over Dupont. Service was good, but not outstanding. As for the food, we started with guac and chips and it was a generous portion of guac and chips - 4 could share! Then ordered flautas and 6 tacos. I must be too used to smallish tacos served at other "hip" Mexican restaurants but believe me that is not how tacos are served at Playa Cabana. The tacos were served on a medium sized tortilla and just stuffed with filling. 3 would have been plenty for me even without the appetizers, but of course I ended up eating 4. Highly recommend the short rib tacos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service Bad. Food ColdmannmadeDined on 9/6/2014Went there on my wife's birthday, big mistake. One waiter serving everyone in the restaurant . Music so loud you couldn't talk. Terrible margaritas. Food cold and tasted sour. No-one finished the meal. We paid over a hundred for a poor meal.
- Not suitable for groupsKatariinaDined on 9/5/2014We were a party of 11, and had chosen a group menu in advance (the restaurant required it). However, our waiter was not aware of that and when after asking about that, he went to talk to the manager, came back apologizing that they had forgotten to inform him about it. After that issue was sorted (it took about an hour) the food started coming quickly to our table and it was so delicious. But in the future, I would not go there with a big group. But will definately go back with smaller party.Special Features:
- Better Off going to Grand ElectricDubiTODined on 8/31/2014From the moment I walked in, I was a bit disappointed. I had a reservation and had to wait 15 minutes for a table (despite coming early) while a couple that didn't have a reservation and came in after me was seated immediately by a different hostess. When it came to the food, the appetizers were amazing. I had the elotes and the shrimp. For mains we ordered the LA truck tacos (beef), jerk lobster tacos, cactus tacos, and lamb taquitos. Simply put, Grand Electric has significantly better and cheaper tacos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfriendly HostessEaterDined on 8/31/2014When booking I requested seating on the upstairs patio. Hacienda called to confirm and I noted my request. I was told that it wouldn’t be a problem and she would put a note in my reservation. On arrival the hostess directed us to an inside table. I said I was told we could have a table on the upstairs patio. She basically called me a liar saying that couldn’t have happened because they don't take reservations on the patio. I pushed her until she grudgingly led us to a table for 4 on a VIRTUALLY EMPTY PATIO!!! What is with the attitude? The rest of the meal was fine, food was good (some very good). Other than the hostess, the rest of the service staff was very friendly and efficient. Problem was that she put me off.Special Features:
- FunnotafoodexpertDined on 8/29/2014Food was good. The atmosphere was good. Took time to move us outside when requested. Night ended early with cleaning up around us (felt like you wanted us to leave) We would have stayed for 2 more rounds probably.Special Features:
- had to try again.Hate2BhassledVIPDined on 8/26/2014friend of mine wanted to go there. so we went. beautiful night. walked in for my 830 reservation, spoke to some miserable girl. no room on patio. spoke to another LOVELY host who said 'give me a second'. next thing i know i'm lead out to the patio. EMPTY. My friend and i and two other tables. REALLY? no room on the patio. cmon. Ate my average tacos drank my beer and left.Special Features:
- Great food, great servicesallyeatsDined on 8/25/2014We heard a lot of mixed reviews before coming to playa cabana hacienda despite that we had an amazing meal. We ordered the shrimp palomitas upon recommendation from our server and it was amazing. On fact everything we had was very good. It wasn't super busy so the service was great and well paced. The tables are on the small side and really close together but we expected that. Not a big deal. Would definitely come back again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My 20th visitHate2BhassledVIPDined on 8/21/2014It was okay. Probably just an off nite for the crew.Special Features:
- Cool Spot. Good FoodBeautySpeshDined on 8/19/2014Food is always pretty good. Both here and at their original location on Dupont. I haven't been to any of the others yet. The service happened to be really bad (slow, rude, unnatentive etc), but to be fair, I don't recall this ever being the case on other visits. The decor is really cool. I won't try to describe it, but just know that it's cool. Food highlights: the corn is always next level delicious, braised beef tacos, tres leches cakeSpecial Features:
- Definitely a new fave!AmandaDined on 8/13/2014Love the decor, robust menu, the elotes (corn on the cob) is to die for. One of the best margarita's I have ever had. Service was very friendly, explained everything, and made recommendations. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Good food but bad service!lovetoeatDined on 8/11/2014We spent a majority of the time waiting. It took a very long time for the server to take our order and an even longer time for our food to arrive. It was a Monday night so it wasn't super busy. The food was good but nothing extraordinary. We sat on the upstairs patio which was very nice but very loud for some reason. I found myself having to yell to be heard. I probably won't be back.Special Features:
- goodeats5Dined on 8/9/2014Amazing lobster Jerk Tacos. Chicken Taco I could live without too greasy. I think they are really overpriced on their Drink menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/9/2014The food was tasty, the ambiance kitschy cool and the margaritas were muy auténtico. However, the service was very disappointing. Nary a smile, a welcoming word, a genuine thank you. And for those reasons we probably won't return or recommend.
- DisappointedMyselfDined on 8/3/2014This was my fourth time at the restaurant and the first for my husband. He has no interest in returning and this time the service was too slow and some of the food came out cold while other dishes were piping hot. It was disappointing enough that we would reconsidering returning. Even the kids who have liked it before didn't like it as much this time.Special Features:
- Must be very patient...FoodloveDined on 8/3/2014Place is fun, food is uneven, some tasty, some bland so order carefully, but frustrating part was it took almost an hour to just get the beers ordered when the very nice server finally got to us 15-20 min after we arrived... and they were bottled... and the bar was 20 feet away. Sadly a very small beer list too!Special Features:
- taco R themOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/3/2014Among 4 of us we had fried fish tacos, beef tacos (LA Truck) and a spicy chicken taco. As well we shared guac and chips. All agreed the chips were amazing, the guac was very good and the tacos were all terrific. It will take at least a couple of tacos and some appetizer to fill most people up for dinnerSpecial Features: