Playa Cabana Cantina
2883 Dundas St. West
Toronto, ON M6P 1Y9Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: CAN$30 and under
Playa Cabana Cantina
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.playacabana.ca/
- Phone: 6473527767x
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 12:00pm - late
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Dave Sidhu
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Playa Cabana Cantina
There’s nothing quite like a new culinary experience. Lucky for you, we have five sensational locations, each featuring our own take on Mexican staples. They’re more than authentic featuring unique menus and surprising eats. So stop by, relax and devour some of Toronto’s most exciting non-traditional Mexican fare.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Playa Cabana Cantina - Best Restaurants in The Junction ›
Playa Cabana Cantina reviews from OpenTable diners
114 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (85)fit for foodies (73)hot spot (67)good for groups (47)vibrant bar scene (35)late-night find (28)great for lunch (21)special occasion (17)romantic (10)kid-friendly (8)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Best mexican food outside mexicoGregjDined on 10/17/2014Referred to this place by friends and have to say the food is absolutely amazing! Service was very good and attentive. Would go back in a flash!Special Features:
- Great for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/11/2014Tasty food, attractive decor, good service makes Playa a great place to share a meal with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Friendly StaffAlasMalDined on 10/6/2014Been there twice once for lunch and dinner.... food and service were great My only complaint is the place is a little on the small side. If you had a large group might be tricky..... 2-4 people perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stupid StoolsgrumpyoldladyDined on 10/4/2014We have been to Playa Cantina several times and thought it would be a great place to entertain my cousins one of whom is eighty years old. l could not believe it when we were directed to those stupid stools. My cousin who is game for anything willingly climbed aboard but sitting next to her I noticed how uncomfortable she was as was I.We both have arthritis.There are also hooks in the wall placed in such a way that I backed in to one when I tried to descend from the clouds.The rest of the family who is much younger was not impressed.Love the food and the service but why the stools? Also the staircase to the washrooms is rather dark. These are potential accidents waiting to happen since alcohol is consumed there.Special Features:
- amazing tacos wicked tequila.higgyliamDined on 10/3/2014The restaurant itself just looks cool and any bar that has a wall of tequila, well I think just speaks for itself...lots of very smooth tequilas, amazing margaritas great mojitos and tons of speciality cocktails depending on the night make it a great spot for drinks to start your evening. But the best thing about this place is definitely the tacos a great variety and some of the best authentic tacos I've had in the city. The best are AL pastor if you like a lil bit of spice or pulpo which is octopus and chorizo(best ever!) Tons of flavor in any taco you choose the only thing i would be careful of is the short rib they are a lil too greasy. Needless to say this is def a gem in Toronto and my favorite of all the playa cabana locations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!PeachesDined on 10/2/2014Everything was great - service, food, atmosphere and price point. Would definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, poor service!Ctm28Dined on 9/29/2014Went to Cantina with two friends who had never been before. They loved the decor when we walked in but the greeter was not very friendly and it took a few minutes before our server attended us at the table (although it was a Monday night, early dinner so the place was quiet). When our server did speak to us she was not friendly either but quite brusque. The food was all amazing although our main meals all came as ready and not for us all to eat at the same time. Had my friends waited for mine to arrive their's would have been stone cold. The food was all amazing, really outstanding! That's why I will probably go back but I wish the owners would speak to their staff about being more welcoming and friendly.Special Features:
- My Mexican BirthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014I was taken here for my birthday, and the servers were very knowledgeable, the food OMG!! best food in Toronto, let alone best Mexican. I highly comment coming here, but I did notice many families there struggling to find food for kids. This is Mexican and it is spicy, and this is a tequila bar, that servers boom food, but where they shine is the drinks. Not recommended for people under 19 (maybe push it into the teens, but any children under 13 will be frustrating)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- live4foodDined on 9/26/20142 hour limit should be revisited. What about tables that aren't drinking, sitting at bar is not a great alternative. WAY too loud. Couldn't hear the person across from meSpecial Features:
- Playa Cabana CantinaLisakoVIPDined on 9/20/2014I'm a big fan of the Playa Cabana chain and this one did not disappoint. Sampled all of their tacos, and they were all delicious. We had made a reservation and were seated right away which was good, however, our waitress was not the most attentive.Special Features:
- Second time diningTezziDined on 9/16/2014We ate dinner at Playa Cabana Cantina on Tues night -Sept 16th, for the second time and loved it just as much as out first visit. Little disappointed that the Burrito I order last time (with ground beef) was no longer on the menu, but it forced me to try something else-tacos, and they were fresh and delicious!! We will definitely be back a third time when we are in the city again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Mexican food in TorontoBaconeaterDined on 9/12/2014Really good place, the ambiance is great and different than other restaurants. The price is really decent too, with many options in the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but don't take your timetiff06Dined on 9/12/2014I love eating at Playa Cabana but find the seating times to be too rushed. When I go out for dinner I don't like having a time limit to how long I have to eat and enjoy my meal. We had to move to the bar area mid meal and carry our plates over to the bar and finish our meal there. Not ideal.Special Features:
- Tasty and accomdatingevrythngbacon27Dined on 9/6/2014I love Playa Cabana. I've been to the Avenue and Dupont location already and decided to try out their spot in the Junction. Same fun atmosphere and creative taco menu. I made a reservation for a group of 6 a week ahead of time, but at the last minute needed to add an extra two spots. I called back the day of our reservation (Saturday afternoon) and explained my situation and they managed to squeeze in an extra two spots at our table. I really appreciated it because sometimes finding a good place to eat with a large group in TO can be a challenge.Special Features:
- Cabana CantinaMCL07Dined on 8/30/2014Unfortunately, this evening was a disappointing experience at Cantina. Here are a few reasons why: - took a long time for initial drinks - 15 minutes minimum.... Which is the biggest turn off for me when dining out. - forgot to bring second round of drinks...although, I will happily admit the drinks were delicious. - out of 4, one person received their meal separately. I ate it while everyone else was finished. The food was good but nothing special. Washroom experience: -Bathroom door lock broken - yes, it happens... -No toilet paper in one stall and very little in the other. -No paper towels or hand blower available after washing hands from broken soap dispenser. Maybe Cantina was having a bad night- Or not.Special Features:
- A Night at The CantinaAceEatsOutDined on 8/30/2014What can you say about Playa Cantina that hasnt already been mentioned? Incredible food great bar menu and amazing staff! If you consider yourself a fan of Mexican street food classics like Tacos, Burritos , Nachos, Guaccomole, Salsa, Ceviche, and dont forget beer than you must find yourself at Cantina! The Tacos are out of this world, whether yiu are jones'ing for a chicken taco, chorizo, fish, pulled pork, veggie, scallop or octopus, Playa Cantina serves it with flair, grace and character. Don't be fooled, make a reservation! This little Cantina packs a decent sized crowd but you dont want to find yourself waiting for a table Only thing Playa Cantina is missing is Corona, if you're looking for a great spot Cantina is it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish TacosOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014I had the fish tacos...I was craving them. I was disappointed with them as the fish seemed a bit tough. After I had finished them, the waiter asked how they were as another table had mentioned that they weren't very good. I expressed my feelings about them while making sure to not be too harsh. I found it odd that the waiter would ask if it was "detrimental" but not offer anything to compensate for the "tough, odd batch" of fish that day. My boyfriend enjoyed his food, and I am assuming this was a one time thing...but I do have to say I was quite disappointed with this visit and won't be rushing back.
- Great Mexican FoodJJCKDined on 8/28/2014Great Mexican food, excellent margaritas and a fantastic crowd! A must see for all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- true mexican foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/27/2014In a city with amazing restaurant range and during a "craze taco" fad. Playa Cabana is the real thing! While other places use the excuse of been "mexican influenced" This place is it. And best of all it doesn't look stereotypical either, it has a cool look. I only hope they resist the "Cinco de Mayo" temptation [a small holiday in Mexico overblown by marketeers to push drinking] otherwise they will break my heart... Ignorance and or greed is not an excuse to insult a culture.Special Features:
- Service...Lv10Dined on 8/25/2014Last time service was above and beyond this time not so much. Never got our glass of wine. Brought out one taco 10 minutes before the rest so my friend was stuck eating alone at the table and when the others came they were cold and soggy so they had clearly been sitting for the last ten minutes. Shouldn't happen on a Monday night. Also pretty sure my $10 mojito had no alchol in it. Went from a 10 star rating my first go to a 7. I'll give it one more shot (hopefully a different server) before I decide...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Food was amazing. Atmosphere fun and upbeat. Unfortunately the server we had sucked. Would go back for the good in hopes of a different serverSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SMIFFYSGANGDined on 8/15/2014WE LOVED, LOVED, LOVED, IT! SO MUCH GREAT FOOD, THAT EVERYTIME WE SAW SOMETHING COME TO A NEAR BY TABLE WE HAD TO ASK WHAT IT WAS AND ORDERD IT. WE WERE NOT DISAPOINTED. SO OUR ADVICE IS ORDER EVERYTHING AND SPLIT IT. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!coolcatererDined on 8/13/2014The food is fantastic - had the tacos. I like that you get to choose from soft, hard, or lettuce taco shell. The lobster taco was good, the ancho braised short rib taco was really good, and the pascado taco was great. It takes quite a while to get drinks, but when you do, its well worth it. They have a really cool choice of cocktails. I love the noisy ambiance. Don't go if you're in a rush. That kind of art takes time. I've been wanting to go for a while and will definitely be back - hopefully soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A++Lv10Dined on 8/11/2014On par with the original playa cabana. Food was awesome. Less crowded. Great staff. My new go to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious tacos! Great times!RitaboutitDined on 8/7/2014The food was amazing and the margaritas are good but what really impressed me was the service. Ten mins into being there the strap on my shirt broke. I would've had to leave but I took my chances and made the wild request for my server to find me a safety pin. And you guys have a sewing kit!!! It saved my night (and me from flashing everyone).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious as alwaysmrchunksDined on 8/6/2014Mojitos, chips and guac, assortment of tacos...all delicious. The Elotes (grilled corn with spices and cheese) are not to be missed, they are excellent.Special Features:
- GREAT Mexican dinner & drinks!madsterDined on 8/6/2014Recently had a girls night out at Playa Cabana, and had a great time :) The 4 of us split a pitcher of their red wine sangria (delicious) and also enjoyed their margaritas. Their fish tacos are AMAZING. The serving sizes aren't big, which I like, and you have the option of having your tacos on lettuce leaves instead of tortillas, so its easy to go healthy at this place too (if you discount the drinks, of course. So healthy-ish. But still great). The menu also communicates which items contain gluten, another perk for those with dietary needs/wants. Another perk: the waiters are all gorgeous. And the service was on point. Seriously enjoyed dinner and drinks at this place. Definitely going to return with more people in the future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Marginal to Poor DrinksPoeticsOfTasteDined on 8/4/2014While Playa Cabana Cantina offers some of the best Mexican food in Canada (a country that has a reputation of not doing Mexican well), their margaritas and sangria need serious and immediate attention. Both could be improved in terms of style, size, and taste. First, they over-ice their drinks (perhaps to cut down on costs), and as a result, they are watered down. Second, they serve their drinks in very small glasses. When I received my sangria in a 4-inch tall glass packed with ice, I was astonished, especially given the high cost. With regard to taste, their margaritas are delicious, but their sangria is just sad; it's reminiscent of children's fruit juice and comes with hardly any fresh fruit. In short, food=good, drinks=disappointing.Special Features:
- Great tacos!BearTracker87Dined on 8/3/2014Great mexican ambiance. Authentic tastes of Mexico. Tacos are fabulous. Only complaints is for the bar. Grapefruit infused Margarita was terrible and they won't let you mix and match the Dos Equis in the bucket even though the same price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Burritos and TacosCfromTorontoDined on 8/3/2014First time at Cantina, loved it, food was great, service was friendly, they could improve the service, provide water when you arrive, top of water, small things, otherwise, very cool, will go again for sure.Special Features:
- Excellent foodSoftieDined on 7/31/2014Our dinner was excellent, the calamari with pear salsita was just the right level of spice. Our tacos were yummy. We probably ate too much. The service was a little robotic/wooden, but sitting by the open garage door style window watching the world go by was fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hotspot fizzlesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014Creative ingredient combinations. Service very uneven. One person at our table had to wait at least 15 minutes longer than the rest of the table for her meal. No apology! Noise level made conversation challenging.Special Features:
- Great MexicanGreatVIPDined on 7/26/2014From the good to the server it was a great dining experience.Special Features:
- Exceeded ExpectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014When I pulled up I thought "this may be a bit too hipster for me", but it wasn't. Decor is straight out of American Pickers. Aside from the seating being a bit tight in some places, the total experience was really excellent. Maybe we got lucky, but our Waiter, Zack was great for a youngster. All of the food was pretty authentic, especially the cocktails which was more on the savory than sweet side (more Mexican than north american). The food was ALL VERY GOOD. I tried 5 different tacos and couldn't decide my favorite. The guacamole was fresh and hand made. I don't like any seafood and yet my wife's shrimp looked so good, I ate 2 of the 14 large shrimp she got in an appetizer, grilled to perfection I might add. We will be back!Special Features:
- AmazingSteakloverDined on 7/18/2014Everything was great. Would highly recommend. Tequila galoreSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favouriteBirthdayGirlDined on 7/11/2014I've been at least 5 times. Great spot. I always get the tacos, love 'em. They changed the margaritas - the old ones were better, I liked the one with Grand Marnier. Of the 2 new options, one is too tart (and I typically like a little tartness) and the other is too sweet - they can do better on the margaritas. The Paloma was good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014excellent street style mexican food in the Junction, we have been a few times and it is always excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbeleivable FoodmigsDined on 7/9/2014Thank you for a great meal. Absolutely loved it. Not from Toronto, but will stop in every time I visit.Special Features:
- knmoDined on 7/6/2014This was my second time at this restaurant and the food is amazing, the staff is friendly and attentive but not overbearing. The first time I came with a big group and it was a lot of fun, the second time was for a double date and it was a great environment. Their drink list is very notable and their food is amazing. Be prepared to wait a little bit longer than you may be used to for tacos but they are worth every minute! They are made to order and fresh, the ingredients are insane and they are filling. Everything on their menu is delicious and don't skip out on the churro poutine it is by far the best dessert. Definitely fit for foodies!Special Features:
- Incredible foodChazmeisterDined on 7/5/2014This restaurant camed recommended by several friends. Saturday night is too crowded and loud for my preference. This time I went on Saturday at noon and was remarkably impressed. The food is absolutely incredible! I devoured my Enchiladas Rojas, knowing that if i brought it home for left-overs there was no way it could be as delicious when warmed up. My friend had the veggie burrito "Street Style" (means you're supposed to pick it up and eat it with your hands) but it was just so chock full of veggie goodness that she finally resorted to using a knife and fork. She also agreed that warmed up left overs just wouldn't be able to compare to it when it's fresh & hot. Can't wait to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.