PLAYA CABANA BARRIO
642 Bloor West
Toronto, ON M6G 1K9Neighborhood:
Bloor West Village
MexicanPrice: CAN$30 and under
PLAYA CABANA BARRIO
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.playacabana.ca/
- Phone: (416) 901-5188
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from PLAYA CABANA BARRIO
PLAYA CABANA BARRIO is a new restaurant from the Playa Cabana Group.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
PLAYA CABANA BARRIO - Best Restaurants in Bloor West Village ›
PLAYA CABANA BARRIO reviews from OpenTable diners
107 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (68)hot spot (59)neighborhood gem (53)good for groups (45)vibrant bar scene (28)late-night find (16)special occasion (11)great for lunch (8)kid-friendly (3)romantic (2)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- RecommendedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/17/2014We had such a great time. Great Service. Food super!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant! So fun!Luv2dineDined on 11/14/2014What a fun restaurant! Amazing energy, cool decor, terrific staff. Everyone was so friendly and smiley. Best service I have had in ages. The food was terrific. We all enjoyed everything we ordered. I will definitely go back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date NightjessicaellenDined on 11/8/2014My hubby and I went here for a date night. The food was delicious and totally reasonable. We ordered way too much, but took the extras to go (note: it didn't travel very well). We had a great time and would definitely go back again, but it wasn't a "romantic dinner", better suited for an energetic group. We still had fun and highly recommend the food. The Torta Coreana was amazing. Baja Tacos - my "spicy" fave.Special Features:
- Fantastic dinning experiencemottyshredsDined on 11/8/2014Great food. Amazing ambiance. Staff were very social and helpful with picking dishes. All the food was fresh and absolutely delicious. The oyster bar was the icing on the cake. Any person can find something on the menu they will crave as soon as they step out of the door. Simply put.... Check this place out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you take a reservation, keep it!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/7/2014Every Playa Cabana restaurant in the chain is spectacular in terms of attentive wait staff and quality of food and drink offering. That said, none of the four of them are able to comply with reservations made on Open Table. My average wait time has been about 35 minutes at each location. Other restaurants who offer multiple seatings throughout the night gently but informatively advise their patrons when they sit down that when their 2 hour window is up, they can expect to leave unless otherwise noted. I'm not sure if management at Playa Cabana is complicit in not keeping reservations in order to keep the place buzzing, or whether its just incompetent. Add walk ins, and you are left standing in the foyer packed like a sardine can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/5/2014Friendly staff, nice atmosphere, great food. All around great dining experience.Special Features:
- Fabulous Birthday DinnerSotnosRCVIPDined on 11/1/2014Came here to celebrate my birthday with friends many of whom were new to the place. I've been several times before. They renovated the bar/opening area. Larger bar and single style seating now up front which is good if you are flying solo. I love the new drinks and the oyster bar. I will definitely come back for the oysters and the main food. I had the lobster enchilada which I really enjoyed as I expected. But the oysters are making me dream about it again. Will definitely be returning soon! Gracias Playa for helping me enjoy my special day with friends.Special Features:
- Delicious Neighbourhood DiveElsie81Dined on 10/31/2014Great concept, and good food. I would recommend this for a fun night out to try something different. It was reasonably priced, and the vibe is divy in a trendy way. If I lived in the neighbourhood, it would definitely be a regular go-to.Special Features:
- Avoided by epilepticsCash4classDined on 10/31/2014yummy taquitos. Enthusiastic server. Decor is wild, almost overstimulating. Very trendy spot in my neighbourhood, will return. They make some expensive but interesting drinks too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MexicanTorontoFoodGuruVIPDined on 10/25/2014Great find after always going to Playa Cabana. This is equal if not better . Easier to get reservations as well. The food is just as good along with some eclectic stuff you don't find in your typical Cdn Mexican restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mexican foodMominDined on 10/24/2014Loved the ambience, the food and the service. Only issue was very small table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Korean spin in MexicanChasemeifucanDined on 10/17/2014Great food and service. Recommend the calamari. Got a table in the back right beside the kitchen which wasn't ideal but service and food made up for itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip it.Pi314Dined on 10/17/2014The food was completely overrated. The most notable disappointment was the grilled calamari-- way too oily with little (if any) acidity. The tables were also positioned too close together, so much so that I was trapped in my seat when the two neighboring tables became occupied. The server was pleasant, which was this place's only saving grace.Special Features:
- enjoyable food experiencetacosrockDined on 10/17/2014I came here with two of my friends and we ordered a lot of food. We had the chicken wings, the ceviches, the guacamoles, oysters, and three different types of tacos: the fish taco, lobster taco, and short rib taco. The food choice is more Mexican than being Korean fusion Mexican. Food taste great, the portions are large. It's interesting to have turnips on tacos. Our waiter was friendly and suggested the food choices for us. Definitely enjoyable.Special Features:
- New Space, Great TasteChefAshDined on 10/15/2014Having been to all of the other Playa Cabana locations I decided to try the new melting pot of Mexican Korean. The Ambience is energetic and draws you in, transporting you from the world outside the small cozy restaurant. Playa could stand to adjust the near seizure inducing flashing lights. They wear on your eyes and psyche after a short period. The food is largely similar to the other locations with a little bit or Asian influence. The Kalbi style ribs were stellar, the tacos were tasty but over stuffed, churros poutine is exactly as satisfying as you would expectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food!steakaddictDined on 10/4/2014Had the Torta Coreana, Lobster and Short Rib tacos. Finished with the Churros.... all I can say is wow and thank you. I will be returning. The hot sauces were excellent both packing a punch of flavour and fire. Great service, great value for the price.Special Features:
- Playa Cabana Barrio CoreanofuschiabirdDined on 10/2/2014Had a post-work girls night celebrating a friends belated birthday. Top notch friendly service. We had drinks, chips with guac and different tacos - always very fun atmosphere and nice casual evening out without breaking the bank.Special Features:
- Fun fusionluv2eat4evrDined on 10/1/2014The chefs seem to be having fun although the wait staff seem stressed. I've been only twice now but would call it my favorite spot in Korean business districtSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A trendy place with yummy tacosTOfoodladyDined on 9/25/2014I went out to Playa Cabana on a Thursday night and from the moment I walked in, I felt like it was actually a Saturday evening. I was spending some time catching up with a few contributors to the blog I manage. The atmosphere was upbeat, cool and very trendy. My table couldn't stop ogling over the decor! Our server was friendly, knew everything about the menu and was easy to talk with. The food did take a little bit long to come and by the time everyone had their tacos, which were delicious, some portions had gotten cool. Regardless, the meals tasted good (we all shared our tacos to get a variety), the wine was delicious, the margaritas were strong and satisfying and I think we'd all definitely go back again!Special Features:
- Another great addition to Playa Cincognito80Dined on 9/20/2014Loved the vibe, service and food - if you're a fan of the other Playa Cabana restaurants in the city, this one will be right up your alley! Special mention to the decor (which form the outside reminded me of a scene from Blade Runner!).Special Features:
- Seated an hour after our resoeat2liveDined on 9/19/2014Our reservation was for 8:30pm on a Friday and we didn't get seated until 9:30pm. The manager gave us a free round of drinks, free guacamole and chips and free desert, which was very nice. However, having to wait an hour past our reservation was extremely off-putting. The food wasn't mind-blowing, so overall I would not recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Always great MexicanSotnosRCVIPDined on 9/19/2014This was my fifth time at a Playa Cabana restaurant and my second time to Barrio. I decided to take a friend here for dinner and he really enjoyed it. He is usually picky with his food but he ate all of it. He had the 3 carnitas tacos while I had the fish tacos and the pulpo taco. I've had both before and was satisfied again. I highly recommend the place if you enjoy Mexican flavours done well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Impressed.TODinerDined on 9/18/2014Very expensive plates with small portions. The korean inspired dishes were pretty good, but overall none of the food was anything special. I've had better Mexican for far cheaper in Toronto. The drinks were also very expensive and not very good.
- Good food - LONG wait!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014The food here was very good, for the most part. The homemade nacho chips taste just like ones that I had in Mexico when I fell in love with shrimp ceviche! We waited a long time for our food - probably close to an hour to get our mains after we placed the order. Our waiter was good, gave the reason for the delay that the printer in the kitchen hadn't printed out the order....then he said that part of our order would be "out in a few minutes" but that became at least 30 minutes. We had a reservation for 8pm, and were finally eating our mains at 9:30. The saving grace was the food - nachos, guacamole, beef tacos & beef/short rib sandwich - really really good. We'll go to another Playa Cabano next time.Special Features:
- Miss the Korean flavourOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/4/2014I liked my dinner at Playa Cabana Barrio but I much prefer the old menu with the Korean flavours
- Koreatown MexicannomnomnomDined on 9/3/2014Really love the Koreantown influence on classic Mexican dishes. Pork bulgogi tacos were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All goodRtraub69VIPDined on 9/1/2014Small intimate room with interesting wall decorations Service was very friendly and attentive.Not rushed at all and perfect timing between courses. Food was perfectly done especially the clamari which were the best ive hade in a while. My only regret was that is a small limited menu and two of thew items were already sold out at 7 pmSpecial Features:
- fun restaurant tasty foodrealdealDined on 8/25/2014Good restaurant if you like Mexican food with a Korean twist. Fun atmosphere and reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be returning.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014Great food, quick service. Try the octopus taco. Go on an empty stomach and get one of everything!Special Features:
- Mexican with a Korean InfluenceTallInTorontoDined on 8/14/2014I love that this little Mexican restaurant has embraced the neighbourhood that it's in and welcomed a Korean influence into its menu. What a fantastic concept. The service was incredible. Really felt like our server genuinely cared about us and our meal. Great mojitos and pork bulgogi tacos.Special Features:
- Great Food; Great PeopleTOobserverDined on 8/11/2014Great flavour combinations and a wonderful staff. Can order as individual meals or choose dishes (ie: tacos) as samplers for a group. Although not for those seeking a quiet night out, I would highly recommend a visit. Did I say sangria? Although small groups of two can likely get in, I'd book ahead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Barrio C.BobbyUncleDined on 8/10/2014Only thing didn't like was that the waiter touched me five times on the shoulder. I didn't like that. He also asked me where I lived, which I didn't really want to share with him. The food was great.Special Features:
- great for girls nightFoodieLDined on 8/9/2014Friendly service, really personal and efficient. Atmosphere reminiscent of all playa cabana restaurants. Kmex slaw is good. Fave taco is the beef because the meat is done in an amazing Korean BBQ style. Chorizo Verde and Spicy Carnita also really good. Not the biggest fan of the chicken one. Don't miss the tres leches dessert. Menu on chalkboard... Easy to read and environmentally friendly. Menus posted all around so easy to see no matter where you are. Love this place, will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere, food, servicetellingtalesDined on 8/8/2014I've been to this restaurant three times and it is always good. The guacamole is sometimes not as good as others, but on this visit was packed with avocado. On a previous visit it had a bit too much onion. I highly recommend the shrimp taco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Korean/Mexican didn't cut itFoodmonsterDined on 8/1/2014The only thing I would go back for is the KFC bibimbap. Everything else was just okay - nothing special. Although the drinks weren't watered down, they kinda tasted the same. We ordered 3 different drinks and didn't notice much difference! I would just stick with the original Playa Cabana at Dupont - can't go wrong there.Special Features:
- AlrightLovefoodDined on 7/25/2014The food was good - I was just expecting to get wowed.. Which only the bill managed to do. Service was excellent - except hostess who gave us the crappiest / crampest table in an almost empty restaurant. Our server graciously moved us - but I saw her seat 3 other couples in the same place ( they all were moved as well). Good margueritta as - but over priced. A bit of a disappointment.
- Mmmmm tacos!YumyumsDined on 7/24/2014Our waitress was excellent and took the time to go through the entire menu. She brought me a free dessert after she had recommended one forgetting about my gluten allergy and it was so noisy that I couldn't hear her describe that it was a flour-based cake. That being said, there are a lot of options for anyone who can't have gluten. I would recommend being familiar with the online menu because they don't hand them out and your table, like ours, may be in a bad spot to see the large chalkboard one. Non-stop nachos, lemonade and chorizo/chicken/Baja tacos were amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 84 reviews are from the PLAYA CABANA BARRIO reviews archive.
- Escape from ordinary.Fun.Great foodHW519Dined on 7/19/2014You ask yourself how could Mexican and Korean food co-exist? This place nailed it! The decor is very imaginative and sets a great tone. Nicely done cocktail menu. Menu is designed for sharing, and our party of 6 shared tacos, fried chicken, pork ribs, a cowboy steak sliced up to share, and a yummy slice of tres leches cake (w 6 forks). The music and noisy crowd made it feel very hip New York, and the tastes were a mix of Mexican spice and Korean sweetness which came together in all the right ways. Service was exemplary. Attentive, personable and engaging. It so happens the owner, Dave, was onsite, and added to the fun by joining us with some tequila shots. The night though, belonged to our server Kate, who made it so much fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great flavours and qualitydaveDined on 7/19/2014Quality of cooking stood out at Barrio Coreano and it had to stand pretty high to rise above the margheritas, the over-flowing tacos, and quality appetizers. The lamb rib and fried chicken app's were cooked very nicely. We had 4 tacos and all were very good. We had the cowboy fajitas - ok, not great. Meat cooked inconsistently, a lot too rare, although good flavour. Veggies nothing special. Impressive when it arrives. I am not a corn tortilla super-expert but they seemed good to me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little placeSandraDined on 7/14/2014I was on vacation in Toronto and I was looking for a good Mexican restaurant to initiate my husband. The service was amazing, as soon as we arrived the staff was friendly and smiling. The server, she took the time to explain the menu in detail and explain the way it worked. The food was just spicy enough and the selection of tacos are modern. My husband loved the fish taco, but all the tacos we ate we good. Also, if we wouln't have tried this place, we wouldn't have had the chance to discover the great neighbourhood. I absolutly recommand this restaurant for any occasion.Special Features: