301 Glenwood Ave
Raleigh, NC 27603Neighborhood:
InternationalPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.plateskitchen.com/
- Phone: 9198280018x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday 11:00am - 2:30pm. Tuesday - Wednesday: 11:30am - 11:00pm (Bar Menu begins at 9:30pm). Thursday - Saturday: 11:30am - 12 midnight (Bar Menu begins at 10:30pm).
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, International
- Executive Chef: Sam Bradford
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Entire restaurant seats 50 and is available for private functions. Covered patio seats 25. No facility fee. Minimum food and beverage amounts apply based on date and time during the week.
- Private Party Contact: Stephen Day 9198280018x
A word from Plates Kitchen
Over the last 20 years, we have lived and traveled around the world. The one constant theme we realized is how different foods from different cultures can unite us, regardless of nationality. Meals provide the opportunity to meet new people, share stories and offer new experiences. At Plates Kitchen, we hope that you will enjoy some of our favorite international dishes combined with our regional southern flavors.Continued
Join us on a new culinary journey that is globally inspired and locally produced. -Kate & Stephen Day
Join us on a new culinary journey that is globally inspired and locally produced. -Kate & Stephen Day
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Plates Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Raleigh ›
Plates Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
128 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (98)neighborhood gem (84)fit for foodies (83)special occasion (39)great for brunch (38)great for lunch (23)romantic (20)hot spot (20)good for groups (16)notable wine list (13)scenic view (10)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/31/2014This was an amazing find! I stumbled upon this restaurant when looking for a brunch location for a reunion with my college friends. Honestly, $10 bottomless Mimosas was the draw. However, the food was amazing! Farm to table goodness! Everyone enjoyed their meal. My favorite menu items: steak and eggs, chef's special lemon bread, pancakes, bacon and the crab beignets. The service was excellent as well. Highly recommended. Will return soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceCarync6VIPDined on 8/29/2014Great service. Appetizers and wine were excellent. The entrees were good but not great. My tuna was a bit undercooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Timers - LunchHummingbirdDined on 8/29/2014Some neat drink & menu items. Fish PoBoy sandwich w/chips & beet salad. Bun toasted, fish little smaller than I'd expected, overall was just a tad dry. Jalapeno mayo was a nice touch. Great chips -dipped into jalapeno mayo. Beet salad was very good. Not your typical beet salad, the goat cheese was creamy and complemented the red and yellow beets nicely as did the slivers of flavorful and buttery toasted crutons. Dessert was a lemon tart? with a crispy creme brulee type burnt sugar crust on top. Delicate icecream on top of that and I think some creme anglaise. Dessert was wonderful! Server was attentive, ate inside as the patio bunch had some pretty noisy barking dogs. Quiet inside. We'll be back.Special Features:
- always top quality food and servicesparrettDined on 8/24/2014my husband and I frequent plates very often and we love it each and every time. Brunch is my absolute favorite on Sundays. You cannot beat the mimosas and the bromosas (infused with bacon vodke) they have. The sticky toffee pudding is to die for and the owner, Steve Day is always welcoming and full of charm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Raleigh restaurant week gemJimDDined on 8/23/2014Plates kitchen really went out of their way to create a varied, outstanding 3-course dinner for $20, including 2 wines and a beer. My date said it was the best prepared and tasty salmon dinner she ever had. My dick and pasta was also very delicious. The wine pairings were just right and the small glass of IPA with dessert exactly balanced the sweetness of the toffee pudding. Way to go, Plates Kitchen!Special Features:
- quirky but goodGuppyVIPDined on 8/22/2014Farm to table that transforms great ingredients into interesting dishes that please the eye and palateSpecial Features:
- better than expectedlovestoeatVIPDined on 8/20/2014We went for Downtown Restaurant Week and overall I have avoided Plates due to the limited menu and not seeing anything that grabbed my attention. I now regret not going all the times I had been invited. The food was absolutely amazing. I did the pre fix dinner and decided to go ahead and try the wine and beer parings. The wine and beer was perfect with each course. I will return to Plates ASAP and maybe even before restaurant week is over!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunately poor service.table42Dined on 8/19/2014Although the restaurant was busy on the night we visited, our service was exceptionally slower than the other diners'. When we first arrived, we were initially not upset when no table was ready in spite of having made a reservation a few days prior. About 30 minutes after our reservation time, we were sat and proceeded to order our food without any problems. However, it became a problem when our food came out about 30 minutes apart (and that is a very generous UNDER-estimation). We ended up leaving at 10:30pm for a 7:30 reservation. I must mention, though, that the food was excellent; the server was apologetic; and we may still give PLATES KITCHEN an opportunity to redeem itself (at least the service).Special Features:
- Restaurant wk fiasco !JakeDined on 8/19/2014Had lunch with group abt month ago. All were disappointed with food & service. Went back in party of 4. While it was Rest. week don't believe was excuse for slowness . Food was excellent, our server was overwhelmed, she was excellent. As former rest. owner believe this owner should Hv been prepared for influx of business during this wk.
- local fresh and delishMAFLANCDined on 8/16/2014Everything from the cocktails to the entrees was fresh well prepared and tasty. We had the fried green tomatoes caprese to share and then hoarded our entrees because no one wanted to miss a single bite. We opted to sit outdoors even though it was warm as it felt even warmer inside when we arrived. It would have been nice to have a cooler option or at least some fans on the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014The day of our reservation, I called to confirm. A chef in the kitchen answered as it was about 3pm. I went over the reservation with him, confirming outside seating & that it was a birthday. He said they would send out "something with a candle". I told him I could bring a candle and he said " no, we have candles". Upon entering Plates, I confirmed with the hostess & the waitress that we had a birthday. Upon ordering a dessert, we ordered 2, I was so dissapointed! No candle on either, no "something special sent out" ! Both deserts charged on the bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/15/2014Very nice cocktail list, and nice choice for a date spot or group of friends.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We rate this Raleigh's bestDifficult2PleazDined on 8/9/2014Having moved to Cary from Boston three years ago, we've been disappointed by so-called highly rated restaurants in Raleigh and Cary (haven't tried out Durham, so can't comment). However, we were thrilled to find Plates this weekend, which offers tasty food and at reasonable prices, no less. We enjoyed the Crabmeat and Corn Beignet appetizer and Fennel and Peach salad to start, then Smoked Duck Carbonara and the luncheon hamburger, finishing off with the Toffee dessert. All were delicious, using really great ingredients; nothing was off-kilter. My only complaint is the limited menu but that's understandable given the effort needed to produce top-rate dishes. We'll be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- an outstanding restaurantElliotVIPDined on 8/7/2014The Charcuterie Plate was wonderful - house made stuff and a bargain at $12.50 the Smoked Duck Breast Carbonara Pasta was great too with a generous amount of duck for only $14. Very good Toffee pudding for desertSpecial Features:
- Best basil pesto we ever had!MgarrinVIPDined on 8/2/2014So yummy! The American Pie cocktail was delish! The foccacia was perfectly seasoned. Our server, Amanda, was the perfect mix of attentive while still giving us our space and privacy. She was funny and kind and engaging.Special Features:
- Always good!LandDDined on 8/1/2014We've enjoyed eating here many times and plan to return. I find it necessary to order a first course, or I leave hungry. Thank you for a delicious meal and attentive service.Special Features:
- nice patio seatingRepeaterVIPDined on 7/25/2014First time here and loved the patio seating to feel the vibrant Glenwood South scene. Service was great, food was good but a bit too salty for us. Mentioned it to waiter and manager assured us chef would be told and appreciative of our feedback. Pasta special was very delicate.Special Features:
- Love, LoveJennifer76VIPDined on 7/25/2014This is absolutely one of my favorite restaurants in Raleigh and it shows as I go here often!! We always ask for Scott as our server as he is fabulous!!! Never had anything here I have not loved and have brought many friends here and none were disappointed either!!Special Features:
- Come for brunch NOT dinnerLookingforyumDined on 7/22/2014I went here for brunch a few weeks back and it was fantastic! So the other night I decide to try Plates Kitchen for dinner and it was terrible! The only good thing was the dessert. But other than that I will not be coming here for dinner again. Brunch Only.Special Features:
- most enjoyable--owner visitedreddevil1962Dined on 7/22/2014our 4th time there. 2 excellent lunches, a 3rd one marred by slowoer service but food great. Our first dinner was very good but we found the menu limited on the entre side. Starters more varity. Wait staff is skilled--not just kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and servicelauraDined on 7/19/2014I made a reservation and we sat outside. The service and food were excellent.Special Features:
- Not So GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/15/2014Maybe the restaurant was short-staffed, but there was little to no service--had to wait for water and ask for utensils. I heard one customer complain coffee was cold, and my iced tea tasted like yesterday's over-sweetened mix. Food was fine, but nothing special. And there weren't very many diners, so it wasn't a rush or crowd that made the difference. The menu was very limited too, surprisingly. I would not recommend or go again, a disappointment as I had heard so many great things about Plates.
- Loved Plates!!DawnGDined on 7/12/2014Food was amazing - lunch menu was great. Apps and salads are not to be missed!Special Features:
- Excellent!YohJulesDined on 7/10/2014We ordered cocktails, appetizers, entrees, and dessert. All were fantastic! I cannot say enough. The staff was very friendly and helpful, as well. I highly recommend a visit to Plates!
- Rainy Thursday didn't keep us awayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/10/2014My husband and I had a delicious evening at Plates. We'd intended to try this place sooner, finally made it on a rainy evening. We shared the crab beignets and charcuterie plate. Beignets were light, hot and quite tasty. Charcuterie was well presented and a delightful combination of flavors. Ribeye was cooked to order and my dessert of vanilla panne cotta w fresh peaches was just light enough to finish the evening. Husband lives his sticky toffee pudding - a Plates dignatureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small menu and small portionsSusanDined on 7/10/2014The chicken soup was nondescript and the cup of soup was served in a tiny ramekin that seemed to hold about 1/2 cup; the ice cream scoop the size of a large walnut (I kid you not). The crab beignets were good, but overall the meal was very unsubstantial and not particularly flavorful. The menu is very small, almost as if food is an afterthought. Perhaps this is a neighborhood watering hole at night? A charming outdoor space and pleasant indoor space -- but many other restaurants offer so much more selection, flavor, quality and food for the $20 I spent on lunch. Perhaps dinner is different? I always want to see neighborhood restaurants do well... so comments are offered in hopes the restaurant tweeks its concept and prospers.
- Dinner at PlatesNBCFRIENDSDined on 7/9/2014The food was outstanding, reasonably priced, and perfect for a group of friends out for dinner !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed experienceOnTheGoDined on 7/8/2014Service was outstanding (they sat us earlier than our reservation despite the dinner service not having started yet because we had an early concert to attend). Food was a mixed bag - very small menu (seems to be farm to table model, so it changes frequently and they concentrate on a small number of dishes) although a good selection if you didn't like something in particular (seafood, chicken, beef, veggie). The barratta and tomato/basil salad was fabulous. My wife really liked the grouper main course, but my steak was so undercooked (asked for medium rare and it was practically blue) with what tasted like boxed potatoes (no seasoning at all to them - bland, uniform, mush). The lemon tart was outstanding, but the chocolate/smore not so.
- danmanley2299Dined on 7/2/2014great outdoor dog friendly dining place. Service was great and knew the menu well and made excellent recommendationsSpecial Features:
- Great new place!Sapphire13Dined on 6/28/2014While I miss the former restaurant, Zely and Ritz, the Chefs at Plates have done an exceptional job with the menu. Everything I had was delicious. Our table enjoyed the mussels, the cheese plate, foie gras, LOTS of fresh baked foccicia, steak and chicken. Everything was done right. The service was great as well. They were attentive and had a great sense of humor. I will absolutely be returning and highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- 1st Time & We'll Be Back!BillisdueDined on 6/27/2014Things started a bit slow as the staff was a little overwhelmed with an influx of customers. Once I approached a staff member, Garrett, things switched into a very personable and pleasurable experience. Our server, Amanda, took great pride in the food and wine list and we had fun going back and forth while ordering. She made great recommendations and really tuned into our table. Brandon, the manager, made it a point to stop by during the meal and at the end to ensure the 'recovery' was successful. Every restaurant experiences a glitch in service when the unexpected happens. The true measure of professionalism is how they handle and recover. A job well done! We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go there!SeismiccatDined on 6/26/2014My wife and I had a wonderful dinner last night. We sat outside on a balmy June evening and enjoyed both our dinner and service. Our waitress Amanda was knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. I had corn stuffed pork roll with pickled peaches on grits and my wife had the ribeye. The pork was flavorful, tender with a great crunch of corn and sweet/sour peaches. The steak was cooked perfectly to order and well seasoned. What's not to like!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very, very goodGorgemandDined on 6/26/2014Refreshing app (the green basil in the burrata caprese was fine, but the purple basil had no flavor), two excellent entrees (tuna and ratatouille), and the Sticky Toffee Pudding will bring us back again.Special Features:
- PinkPeonyDined on 6/25/2014Visited Plates for a weekday lunch. Food was amazing! I had the Portabello Panini, my friend had the Catfish Po Boy. Wonderful food and good service. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Plates For SaturdayMDB01Dined on 6/21/2014The food was a surprise. Being a fusion of different foods you do not know what to expect. However, the food, wine and overall dining experience was beyond my expectation.Special Features:
- Clean plate clubtripodABBIEDined on 6/19/2014We had heard great things about Plates and were not disappointed on our visit. Great service, amazing food, and cool little atmosphere. We both had clean plates and will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and Service!!TomasDined on 6/18/2014Second time at Plates. As good as the first time!! TomasSpecial Features:
- Great food and serviceKurtDined on 6/18/2014We had the crab beignets for appetizer and they were excellent. For entree, we had the Cajan Roaster Chicken. It was flavorful, good and presentation and accompanied by excellent side. The service was attentive, but not intrusive. Dinning here was an excellent experience which we would recommend to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- These plates are gemsChoosyinCHVIPDined on 6/13/2014Small plates meticulously prepared make this a wonderful spot. Easy and relaxed, it is a great dining adventure.Special Features:
- leisurely mealOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/11/2014Loved the chef's use of sweet potatoes in the salad and in the soup of the day. All food items were wonderful, and it was nice to dine in a restaurant where we could have a conversation without shouting - the noise level was perfect. We will return.Special Features: