301 Glenwood Ave
Raleigh, NC 27603Neighborhood:
InternationalPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.plateskitchen.com/
- Phone: (919) 828-0018
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday 11:00am - 2:30pm. Tuesday - Wednesday: 11:30am - 11:00pm (Bar Menu begins at 9:30pm). Thursday - Saturday: 11:30am - 12 midnight (Bar Menu begins at 10:30pm).
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, International
- Executive Chef: Sam Bradford
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Plates Kitchen offers catering services at your location. We bring the international and local flavors to you for lunch or dinner events. Call the restaurant for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Entire restaurant seats 50 and is available for private functions. Covered patio seats 25. No facility fee. Minimum food and beverage amounts apply based on date and time during the week.
- Private Party Contact: Stephen Day 9198280018x
- Special Events: Events vary by month but include live music and special dinners. Check the website for details.
A word from Plates Kitchen
Over the last 20 years, we have lived and traveled around the world. The one constant theme we realized is how different foods from different cultures can unite us, regardless of nationality. Meals provide the opportunity to meet new people, share stories and offer new experiences. At Plates Kitchen, we hope that you will enjoy some of our favorite international dishes combined with our regional southern flavors.Continued
Join us on a new culinary journey that is globally inspired and locally produced. -Kate & Stephen Day
Join us on a new culinary journey that is globally inspired and locally produced. -Kate & Stephen Day
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Plates Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Raleigh ›
Plates Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
111 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (83)great for outdoor dining (78)neighborhood gem (66)good for groups (23)hot spot (19)special occasion (18)great for brunch (15)romantic (14)notable wine list (14)great for lunch (9)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- Great food in downtown RaleighKathrynDined on 11/26/2014This restaurant was a great surprise! It does not seem like much on the outside, but starts to be special as soon as you walk in. We were greeted like old friends and someone came to take our coats before we sat down. The menu changes daily and is fairly small, but everything is prepared to perfection. Save room for dessert. You will not regret it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very disappointedregretsDined on 11/1/2014after hearing excellent reports about food, we went with high expectations only to be disappointed with both entrees - food quality and flavor bland, poor and non creative.
- Amazing foodAudreyDined on 10/18/2014Our food was perfect. So delicious. But the service was terrible and took forever. In our case we literally didn't receive half our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a gem!Hungry4MoreDined on 10/18/2014How wonderful to find a great dining experience like Plates! Plates may offer a smaller selection of entrees, but each was outstanding (everyone at our table tried a different entree). We also sampled cocktails and had wine with the meal. Our waiter's recommendations were spot-on. Chef/owner Steve came out and was really interested in our feedback--not just a "Hi. How are you doing?" visit to our table. Did I mention the small plates (try the begnets)? Waiter Scott suggested that we do a mixed cheese and meat platter to start, so we had the chance to sample more cheeses and meats. Dessert? Wow! The bottom line: we'll definitely return. This is a restaurant where everyone really cares about your dining experience, from soup to nuts!Special Features:
- Excellent Food!auntbeeDined on 10/18/2014The red grouper was outstanding paired with the corn risotto. And the seafood soup was one of the best I've ever had. Highly recommend! Service was just right...showed up just when you needed them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedMSA76VIPDined on 10/17/2014Servers were quite pleasant but food was very, very slow to arrive and was underwhelming at best. Glad we tried it but won't be going back. Too bad, because it is a great location.
- Innovative and FreshMikeyLikesItDined on 10/16/2014Creative drink selection that goes above and beyond the usual offerings of other similar restaurants. Do yourself a favor and try the one with Sweet Potato Vodka and Pickled Okra. Food that absolutely melts in your mouth and delivers on fresh, imaginative and flavorful every single time. Friendly service and fair pricing are two more reasons why this is one of our favorite Raleigh restaurants. Keep up the great work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Night - Good FoodjkellyVIPDined on 10/11/2014We had a lovely dinner at Plates. It was our first time dining there and we will definitely be going back to check out their ecletic menu again.Special Features:
- Sunday brunch was disappointingRaleighFoodieVIPDined on 10/5/2014Will not dine again. Owners promote restaurant as a "culinary journey" but was it was the worse experience, here's why... 1. SLOW SERVICE, UNDER STAFFED. 2. Extremely LONG WAIT TIME for food to be delivered. We waited over 60 minutes after ordering. 3. MEDIOCRE FOOD--nothing to rave about. No interesting, unique menu items and the preparation wasn't special. No interesting visual presentation or garnishes."Homemade" biscuits tasted and appeared like a cross between an over-sized white hamburger bun and a bialy. Biscuits in the South, must be fluffy, melt-in-your-mouth delicious and invite you to "eat another." The Duck Confit was OK. Pancakes weren't especially tasty or fluffy. Syrup--tasted like overly sweet, vicious simple sugar.
- Best Dessert in Raleigh!WhovianGirlDined on 10/4/2014Living in Raleigh for the past 1.5 yrs, I had yet to find truly delicious dessert; until now. The sticky toffee pudding was AMAZING! Light and fluffy with just the right amount of sweetness from the toffee. The Sweet Corn & Crab Beignets are all delicious. By far, the best dessert in Raleigh!!!Special Features:
- Creative cocktails...BillDined on 10/3/2014Some restaurants overdo it trying to make the most extravagant cocktails, but these were creative and actually tasted goodSpecial Features:
- Wonderful gemSusieDDined on 9/25/2014We love the quality of the food, the location and the staff. It's a win-win. PS and most definitely try the corn and crab beignets!Special Features:
- Fit for FoodiesNeighborVIPDined on 9/23/2014Menu was limited, servings were small, but the food was excellent. The pork tenderloin was outstanding. Service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!TrenaDined on 9/20/2014The food, atmosphere, service...everything was great! The prices are extremely reasonable, especially for the quality of the food. The menu is limited but every option sounded better than the last one. I prefer great choices, not lots of them. I also appreciated the wine pairing listed with each menu item. We will definitely return and very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waitperson ruined our evening.CandBDined on 9/19/2014My waitress refused to serve guest stating she was uncomfortable serving him (after 2 drinks) and that she didn't know how much he had to drink before he arrived. I thought I was on Candid Camera, the waitress was completely off base, my friend was definitely not impaired. In fact, 2 large tables (once I heard the words 'shut the f*** up') were very inebriated and the waitress asked me if I'd like for her to say something to them. I told her no, that we weren't that fussy. She then refused to serve my guest a 3rd drink and we left at once. I've never experienced anything like that. The waitress ruined our night and Plates owes my guest an apology instead of quoting legal authority to defend a defenseless action by a bitter waitress.
- Will returnSusieDDined on 9/18/2014My lunch was was wonderful experience from start to finish. The staff were all very friendly, professional and accommodating. The outdoor seating on Glenwood was so enjoyable and the meal was fantastic. The sandwich was served on home baked hoagies, dressed and seasoned superbly and the value was excellent. I wish I could have tried every item on the menu as the sandwich and salad were delicious. I will return and bring more friends.Special Features:
- good brunch/ great dinnerlovestoeatVIPDined on 9/14/2014I have been to dinner twice and it was excellent. I went to brunch and it was good but not as good as the dinner. Burger was hard to eat being on a biscuit. I'd certainly return for brunch and dinner both. I want to try the bottomless mimosa next time. Bloody mary was good but not my favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- running on all cylandersphudemonVIPDined on 9/13/2014this was our third time at plates & it certainly wont be our last. food & servive were outstanding. I had the ribeye & it was one of the best I have had in some time. app. salad & desert were first rate. if you haven't been here you owe it to yourself to give it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful!OffBookDined on 9/12/2014From the fantastic fried green tomatoes to the octopus risotto to the perfectly cooked lamb chops..the entire meal was a delight. Our very professional server made the experience even more enjoyable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/11/2014Perfect waitress (knowledgeable, friendly, accommodating with wonderful suggestions); Outstanding food, prepared excellently, with complimentary wines. Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Plates is a small gemoltexanDined on 9/10/2014As much as we miss Zely & Ritz, Plates in the same location is a worthy successor. Their menu selections are somewhat limited but the dishes they have are all very good to excellent, and the prices are more than reasonable, with the average entree under $20. We are told the menu changes often, but I would go back and try those dishes we didn't get to on this visit. He lamb and my fish were both very good, as were the accompaniments (my octopus risotto was great!). Plates is a definite keeper and a great addition to Glenwood South.Special Features:
- Outstanding foodFrequentDinerVIPDined on 9/6/2014Can't rave enough about the quality of food here, perfect combinations, perfectly sized, and good enough to go back a couple nights in a row.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/5/2014The food and service were great. Amazing outdoor patio area but a little too hot for us that night. Get the duck pasta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PlatesNCBLUMVIPDined on 9/4/2014Fantastic food and service. Had the tuna with octopus risotto and it was fantastic. Save room for the ice cream sandwich for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchjmckenzieDined on 8/31/2014This was an amazing find! I stumbled upon this restaurant when looking for a brunch location for a reunion with my college friends. Honestly, $10 bottomless Mimosas was the draw. However, the food was amazing! Farm to table goodness! Everyone enjoyed their meal. My favorite menu items: steak and eggs, chef's special lemon bread, pancakes, bacon and the crab beignets. The service was excellent as well. Highly recommended. Will return soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceCarync6VIPDined on 8/29/2014Great service. Appetizers and wine were excellent. The entrees were good but not great. My tuna was a bit undercooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Timers - LunchHummingbirdVIPDined on 8/29/2014Some neat drink & menu items. Fish PoBoy sandwich w/chips & beet salad. Bun toasted, fish little smaller than I'd expected, overall was just a tad dry. Jalapeno mayo was a nice touch. Great chips -dipped into jalapeno mayo. Beet salad was very good. Not your typical beet salad, the goat cheese was creamy and complemented the red and yellow beets nicely as did the slivers of flavorful and buttery toasted crutons. Dessert was a lemon tart? with a crispy creme brulee type burnt sugar crust on top. Delicate icecream on top of that and I think some creme anglaise. Dessert was wonderful! Server was attentive, ate inside as the patio bunch had some pretty noisy barking dogs. Quiet inside. We'll be back.Special Features:
- always top quality food and servicesparrettDined on 8/24/2014my husband and I frequent plates very often and we love it each and every time. Brunch is my absolute favorite on Sundays. You cannot beat the mimosas and the bromosas (infused with bacon vodke) they have. The sticky toffee pudding is to die for and the owner, Steve Day is always welcoming and full of charm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Raleigh restaurant week gemJimDDined on 8/23/2014Plates kitchen really went out of their way to create a varied, outstanding 3-course dinner for $20, including 2 wines and a beer. My date said it was the best prepared and tasty salmon dinner she ever had. My dick and pasta was also very delicious. The wine pairings were just right and the small glass of IPA with dessert exactly balanced the sweetness of the toffee pudding. Way to go, Plates Kitchen!Special Features:
- quirky but goodGuppyVIPDined on 8/22/2014Farm to table that transforms great ingredients into interesting dishes that please the eye and palateSpecial Features:
- better than expectedlovestoeatVIPDined on 8/20/2014We went for Downtown Restaurant Week and overall I have avoided Plates due to the limited menu and not seeing anything that grabbed my attention. I now regret not going all the times I had been invited. The food was absolutely amazing. I did the pre fix dinner and decided to go ahead and try the wine and beer parings. The wine and beer was perfect with each course. I will return to Plates ASAP and maybe even before restaurant week is over!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunately poor service.table42Dined on 8/19/2014Although the restaurant was busy on the night we visited, our service was exceptionally slower than the other diners'. When we first arrived, we were initially not upset when no table was ready in spite of having made a reservation a few days prior. About 30 minutes after our reservation time, we were sat and proceeded to order our food without any problems. However, it became a problem when our food came out about 30 minutes apart (and that is a very generous UNDER-estimation). We ended up leaving at 10:30pm for a 7:30 reservation. I must mention, though, that the food was excellent; the server was apologetic; and we may still give PLATES KITCHEN an opportunity to redeem itself (at least the service).Special Features:
- Restaurant wk fiasco !JakeVIPDined on 8/19/2014Had lunch with group abt month ago. All were disappointed with food & service. Went back in party of 4. While it was Rest. week don't believe was excuse for slowness . Food was excellent, our server was overwhelmed, she was excellent. As former rest. owner believe this owner should Hv been prepared for influx of business during this wk.
- local fresh and delishMAFLANCDined on 8/16/2014Everything from the cocktails to the entrees was fresh well prepared and tasty. We had the fried green tomatoes caprese to share and then hoarded our entrees because no one wanted to miss a single bite. We opted to sit outdoors even though it was warm as it felt even warmer inside when we arrived. It would have been nice to have a cooler option or at least some fans on the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014The day of our reservation, I called to confirm. A chef in the kitchen answered as it was about 3pm. I went over the reservation with him, confirming outside seating & that it was a birthday. He said they would send out "something with a candle". I told him I could bring a candle and he said " no, we have candles". Upon entering Plates, I confirmed with the hostess & the waitress that we had a birthday. Upon ordering a dessert, we ordered 2, I was so dissapointed! No candle on either, no "something special sent out" ! Both deserts charged on the bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/15/2014Very nice cocktail list, and nice choice for a date spot or group of friends.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We rate this Raleigh's bestDifficult2PleazDined on 8/9/2014Having moved to Cary from Boston three years ago, we've been disappointed by so-called highly rated restaurants in Raleigh and Cary (haven't tried out Durham, so can't comment). However, we were thrilled to find Plates this weekend, which offers tasty food and at reasonable prices, no less. We enjoyed the Crabmeat and Corn Beignet appetizer and Fennel and Peach salad to start, then Smoked Duck Carbonara and the luncheon hamburger, finishing off with the Toffee dessert. All were delicious, using really great ingredients; nothing was off-kilter. My only complaint is the limited menu but that's understandable given the effort needed to produce top-rate dishes. We'll be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- an outstanding restaurantElliotVIPDined on 8/7/2014The Charcuterie Plate was wonderful - house made stuff and a bargain at $12.50 the Smoked Duck Breast Carbonara Pasta was great too with a generous amount of duck for only $14. Very good Toffee pudding for desertSpecial Features:
- Best basil pesto we ever had!MgarrinVIPDined on 8/2/2014So yummy! The American Pie cocktail was delish! The foccacia was perfectly seasoned. Our server, Amanda, was the perfect mix of attentive while still giving us our space and privacy. She was funny and kind and engaging.Special Features:
- Always good!LandDDined on 8/1/2014We've enjoyed eating here many times and plan to return. I find it necessary to order a first course, or I leave hungry. Thank you for a delicious meal and attentive service.Special Features:
- The following 122 reviews are from the Plates Kitchen reviews archive.