2253 Poipu Road
Koloa, HI 96756Neighborhood:
HawaiianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pgrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8087422121x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: 7 days a week: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Bar opens at 5:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Hawaiian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Plantation Gardens is the ideal location for your Kauai Wedding. Located within the Kiahuna Plantation Resort, the restaurant is nestled among award winning orchid gardens and tranquil koi ponds, and is just a few steps away from gorgeous white sand beaches. Invite your entire wedding party and guests to stay on property, exchange your wedding vows in the beautiful Moir Gardens and throw an unforgettable reception at our authentic Plantation style restaurant. A hidden gem on the sunny, south side of Poipu, Plantation Gardens is the perfect venue for a casual yet elegant Hawaii wedding.
- Private Party Contact: Mona Gonzaludo 8087421908x
- Special Events: Plantation Gardens specializes in wedding receptions, private parties, corporate and convention banquets and other celebrations for groups from 10 to 300 people. Please contact us for more information.
A word from Plantation Gardens
Plantation Gardens Restaurant & Bar is located in a beautifully restored plantation manor on the Hawaiian Island of Kauai. Dating back to the 1930's, the estate once served as the plantation manager's home for Hawaii's first sugar plantation, the Koloa plantation. Later, the estate was acquired by the Moir Family who built the world famous gardens that surround the restaurant. Our menu reflects the heritage of old plantation Hawaii, which celebrates the abundance and beauty of the Hawaiian Islands. Our fresh fish is caught daily by local fishermen in waters off Kauai. We use organically grown vegetables and herbs picked fresh on nearby farms and from our own gardens. Guests may choose to dine on our lanai overlooking tranquil gardens, lily ponds and tropical foliage or in our exquisitely refurbished dining room which features gorgeous Brazilian cherry wood floors, woven bamboo tables and plantation ceiling fans.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Plantation Gardens - Best Restaurants in Koloa ›
Plantation Gardens reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (45)romantic (40)special occasion (38)scenic view (28)fit for foodies (22)neighborhood gem (15)kid-friendly (10)good for groups (7)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/7/2014We had not been to the restaurant in several years, but we were surprised that we had a less than excellent experience. The menu is quite limited, with some rather unusual offerings for Hawaii--Pot Roast, for example. Our main concern was our server. Everything was very slow, and at one point we couldn't even get her to order some wine. We asked another server to ask her to come to our table. Still nothing. Finally. someone else came to us and took our order. When my husband asked for ice cream, there were two flavors on the menu. The one he wanted was not available. This seems odd, when only two are available. There are so many wonderful restaurants here. This type of service will not bode well for Plantation Gardens.Special Features:
- Runner GirlRunnergirlDined on 9/5/2014We have eaten here before and this restaurant is awesome! The tables on the patio overlook luscious gardens and ponds, very tranquil and beautiful. Great for a romantic dinner experience. Our waitress was well versed in all areas of the menu. We both had the Chef Trio where you get a portion of three entrees, pot roast, Seafood Lau Lau and a fresh fish in a red curry sauce. All were flavorful and completely different. Portions were not small!! The pot sticker appetizer was good as well. We finished off with a chocolate and macadamia nut ice cream pie with a meringe on top that we loved! The busboy was very attentive with water and clearing plates. We will definitely return! It is a little hard to find, but a memorable dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going downhill?HHHMDDined on 9/4/2014We have been regulars at Plantation Gardens for 30 years. The past several years, it has been one of our south Kauai favorites. But this meal was disappointing. The menu is more limited than in the past and the overall quality was indifferent at best. Only half the tables were occupied, even though the restaurant was said to be full at our desired start time. It's low season in Hawaii, and one hopes that all is is because of that, with reduced staffing etc. But that really shouldn't affect food quality, right? We hope this was just a fluke and not the start of a trend.Special Features:
- Romantic dinnerflindaDined on 9/1/2014My last night on Kauai and made a last minute reservation for dinner with my boyfriend. We went to Plantation Gardens because it was one of the few restaurants that could accommodate us last minute so we were not expecting much. We were totally surprised and delighted to find a gem of a restaurant in an old historic house in the middle of tropical gardens. The food was excellent and service was even better. We did not feel rushed as some restaurants do and spent a very romantic last night together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service!hawaiianfrozenDined on 8/31/2014My girl friend Jane and me enjoyed the food and service...was a little noisy for us both trying to have an intimate evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014Great Place. Try it. Quiet restaurant tucked into a condo development that is built on an old sugar cane planation. Ate on the porch. Meal was wonderful.Special Features:
- Poor service this eveningLadygDined on 8/23/2014This was a special family dinner with guests and we were very disappointed with the service Our drinks came after our food was served, the ice was melted in the whiskey, the martini was warm, the champagne punch had no punch Obviously forgot about our party of six. The waiter was hardly around and unattentive, blamed bartender for the watered down drinks. We are local residents come here a lot and have recommended this restaurant to a number of friends.Special Features:
- Better than ever!!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/22/2014My first visit to this magical spot was over 30years ago for my lovely intimate wedding......I have been very fortunate to return to Kauai several times since then and it remains my favorite restaurant to this day.....fabulous dinner on our latest visit Aug.22/14....the best yet....special thxs to the chefs that nite and wonderful service from Monica.....see you next year I hope...... Love JillynSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a special occasionHoneymoonerDined on 8/17/2014My wife and I went for dinner here to celebrate our anniversary. Food and service were exemplary, she had the tofu and quinoa, I had the pot roast. Pot roast is local beef and is paired well with a local purple sweet potato. If you go save room for the Lilliqoi cheesecake for dessert, it's amazing! Our waiter was terrific and gave us many helpful tips about the food and the island.Special Features:
- Basic Hotel FareDocumanVIPDined on 8/15/2014Average, mediocre food, typical hotel quality cooked by "kids" who are not chefs in the true sense of the word. Very nice room and veranda good place for drinks and pupusa's good corn fritters.Special Features:
- Relaxed dining, great foodDisappointedDined on 8/9/2014This was our first night on the island of Kauai (staying down the road at the Grand Hyatt Resort) and Plantation Gardens came recommended from a friend. Very nice place to dine! Much quieter than we expected, but that is also Kauai. My husband and I started with the Crab Rangoon (dumpling) served wtih a soy dijon mustard sauce. Ordered the Fish special (a light white fish), prepared with a cream sauce on a bed of Kauai purple potato mash; my husband order the ribs (yummy, fell right off the bone!). Beautiful gardens to walk around, before or after dinner.Special Features:
- Plantation RestaurantJennDined on 8/9/2014We loved the Plantation Restaurant, it was surrounded by a gorgeous Hawaiian garden with open air outdoor seating wrap around. There is even a large grassy area where the little ones can play. Our waiter was so wonderful and attentive, made the whole dinner so relaxing. The food was wonderful, so delicious. They even had a kids menu for the little ones which was great. It was also a romantic spot if you would like it to be, just so serene.Special Features:
- Vacation must do when in Kauai!MIMIDined on 7/23/2014My party & I enjoyed a lovely final meal! We had terrific service, & the food was delicious! I had the Seafood Lau Lau which was marvelous! The drink menu was so creative that it was difficult to make a final decision! But, we each tried something which tasted great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and servicetravellerdkDined on 7/21/2014We had a delightful evening at Plantation Gardens - to the point that we returned the following night. The setting is lovely and peaceful and the building - which is of historic significance - has been beautifully restored and maintained and has lots of great memorabillia displayed. The service was of a very high standard as was the food - and the cocktails were excellent too!Special Features:
- Always fantasticsocaltravelerVIPDined on 7/19/2014Plantation gardens has become a lovely tradition when visiting Kauai. Offering the peaceful warmth of Hawaiian hospitality and superb menu and preparations it draws us back time and time again. Always a highlight of our vacation.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/18/2014Always our favorite but disppointed this time: 35min wait for our reserved table, then tried to seat us in the bar...we resisted and they found a table for us on dining veranda (restaurant was less than half full - why the delay?); after seating, service was incredibly slow. There was a wedding party in the restaurant this evening and it seems we were competing with them for service (again, restaurant was less than half full)...it was also very loud (louder than any other time we'd dined there). Lastly, this place has been our #1 Kauai favorite for a long time but it seems a bit in need of some upkeep (or maybe a full-on remodel given the new competition in the area)...just felt rather "run down". On the plus side, the food was as great!
- gLisaDined on 7/18/2014The catch of the day was amazing! The texture of the seasoning of the fish was spot on. One of the best meals I had on my trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful setting, delicious foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014What a charming spot! Delicious food served outside overlooking an orchid garden and the ocean. A special spot not to be missed on vacation.Special Features:
- Plantation Gardens Paradise, OnonomomobbqDined on 7/14/2014Bar opens at 5 p.m., and dinner service begins at 5:30, so don't plan on lunch or breakfast here. Surprisingly moderately priced menu, with many island-style offerings is what you get, and at the earlier seating, you get a quiet, pleasant garden setting perfect for us mature types looking for personalized, friendly service and unhurried dining with good food and wine.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/9/2014The food was okay Service was great Was hoping they would have done more for us as we mentioned that we were on our honeymoon and that there was no one else in the restaurant
- Beautiful settingYummyDined on 7/9/2014Food was delicious and presented beautifully. The atmosphere was relaxed and elegant. Gorgeous gardens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining in Paradise, really.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014The food and service was impeccable. Will surely return.Special Features:
- Great serviceDonotdoreviewsDined on 7/1/2014We arrived on early side of dinner time so that is why noise level was quiet, it may be moderate later since the tables were filling up as we ate. Our server was great (attentive, warm, helpful and anticipate our needs) and the rest of staff was attentive and accommodating as well. They had no tartar sauce for my son who eats it with everything, so they made something special for him that was using what they had and it met his needs. We were celebrating our 10 year anniversary and my birthday--since we got married on the property, we thought it would be fun to take our sons to the spot we got married at and then have a bite to eat there. Glad we did.Special Features:
- Beautiful setting, good foodVAlovetotravelDined on 6/24/2014The outdoor dining made this meal special. Our server was attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerLexismomDined on 6/21/2014We enjoyed the setting with all the different plants. As is usual, the restaurant is open air allowing the fragrances of the garden to be part of the dining atmosphere. It was a delightful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Family DinnerArcherDined on 6/19/2014Beautiful garden seeting, excellent service and great food. Even my six year old granddaughter approved...and she has excellent taste.Special Features:
- Great dinnerBruceVIPDined on 6/18/2014Ate dinner here while visiting Kauai- everything was great- the food and service were excellent, and the outdoor setting was beautiful- prices were a bit steep, but not out of line with what other restaurants charge. Would definitely go back here if we were in Kauai.Special Features:
- June 13th dinnerStLouis4Dined on 6/13/2014My wife, our younger son, his girlfriend and I had dinner on Friday, June 13th. That was our first time to the restaurant. Our waiter, Jake, was excellent. He was attentive, answered questions we had about the menu, helped us make our food and drink selections and was, overall, great in every way. The food and drinks were as outstanding as the service. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone on the island looking for a great dining experience.Special Features:
- Good Find!PJWhizDined on 6/6/2014It's nice to find something close to where you are staying that provides delicious, creative and tasty food. We ate here twice during our stay in Poipu and had no complaints. The fish was fresh and prepared well, and curry was very good and not too spicy. Wait staff was experienced and friendly. We enjoyed sitting on the back porch with the view of the garden/yard and hearing the bull frog croaking!Special Features:
- 2nd visit this tripTsakiVIPDined on 6/1/2014We dined in the main lanai area. It is a bit noisier than the bar lanai, but has a pleasant garden view and on a typical spring evening was an exceptional setting. Our server Jake was very good, and previous server Monica stopped by the table to say hello. I think the ambiance is the strength with interesting food apparently based on old plantation recipes. Different than the other big name places in both style and ambiance, we have made this a don't miss stop for the past 12 visits to Kauai.Special Features:
- Outstanding food and servicesbucksterVIPDined on 5/30/2014This place was excellent on every level. Located in an old Hawaii former plantation house, the decor is authentic and relaxing. Wait staff are efficient, knowledgeable, and accommodating. The drinks were excellent and served in Ball jars - try the cucumber mojito. Ahi poke and the Rangoon crab appetizers were delicious and good sized. Entrees are a mix of local seafood and grass fed beef. I had the pot roast which was the most tender and flavorful that I've ever had. The seafood curry special was incredible as were the BBQ baby back ribs. We cannot wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something differentTsakiVIPDined on 5/27/2014We've dined here on every trip to Kauai for over 12 years. We were seated in the bar lanai which is smaller and except for the occasional buzz of the blender in the nearby bar, it is more quiet. Our server Brad and the runners were certainly attentive w/o being intrusive. Their take on the ahi poke stack was well seasoned (did not add soy sauce) and the addition of a side of brown rice made it a meal. Wife had a beautifully prepared Monchong. The baked Hawaiian was refreshingly sweet and the ice cream used was not too fatty.... very nice medium light dessert. Foo-foo island drinks were fun, refreshing and well presented. We'd dine on the bar lanai again.Special Features:
- A must do while in KauaidunwoodyfoodiesDined on 5/25/2014Exceptional food every time we find there. Friendly and casual atmosphere combined with creative dishes you could eat every day! Our whole family of 6 from 1 to 54 has this place as top on our Kauai restaurant list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Hawaiian FeelcalkauaigirlVIPDined on 5/22/2014We really enjoy dining here because the setting is so beautiful, and it reminds us of old Hawaii. Also, the staff is very warm and friendly.Special Features:
- Excellent.JDL1Dined on 5/22/2014So good we went back. The food was great, the drinks were great, the venue was great. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 517 reviews are from the Plantation Gardens reviews archive.
- ianlynnVIPDined on 5/14/2014Overall a very nice experience. If you are stating in Poipu it is certainly worth going to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You will not be disappointed.JackhammerDined on 5/11/2014Great food, great service in a beautiful surrounding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable dinnerInfrequentdinerDined on 5/10/2014We had dinner after a drink in the bar. Food was exceptional and so was the service. It is pricey, but not at the top. And everything in that part of Kauai is expensive. I would definitely return for another dinner.Special Features:
- Very relaxing!PaulDined on 5/8/2014Dining is on the open air porch of an actual 1930's plantation house, expanded over the years to make a beautiful spot, surrounded by gardens. very nice! We tried the lau- lau, and it was amazing. Full of seafood and very tasty. Also had the chef's trio, which is a portion of lau lau, pot roast and grilled catch of the day. Very tasty. Service was perfect, and our waiter was very friendly and engaging. Wonderful evening.Special Features:
- Outstanding!JanpooDined on 5/6/2014We had a table out on the lanai overlooking the garden with the ponds and beautiful flowers & plants. We were at the corner, very private which was perfect as we were celebrating our 35 th anniversary. The food was outstanding! The selection was great, so many unique offerings. We would definitely recommend this restaurant!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.