800 Whitwam Drive
Saint Joseph, MI 49085Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.innatharborshores.com/
- Phone: 2699831111
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 6:30am - 11:00am; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tim Hendren
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Plank's Tavern
Plank's Tavern on the Water is on one of the oldest harbors in the Great lakes. Its approachable modern menu, home-style seating and waterfront location takes inspiration from the place it's in, the people who live here and the past it comes from. It's about our American food and drink, the abundance of our agriculture, the beauty of our land and water and our spirit of community and hospitality. The 76 seats in the main dining room are complimented with an additional 88 waterside seats on Plank’s covered porch. Join us in a place where everyone is welcomed.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Plank's Tavern - Best Restaurants in St Joseph ›
Plank's Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (45)scenic view (39)great for brunch (27)special occasion (23)fit for foodies (22)romantic (19)good for groups (16)notable wine list (13)great for lunch (12)neighborhood gem (9)kid-friendly (7)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (2)Show More
- MY GUESTS WERE IMPRESSEDOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014I INVITED MY SISTER AND BROTHER INLAW FROM SOUTH BEND AND TWO LOCALFRIENDS WHO HAD NOT BEEN TO THE PLANK BAR. THEY WERE VERY PLEASED WITH EVERYTHING AND HAPPY I INVITED THEM TO ENJOY THE DAY TOGETHER AT THE PLANK BREAKFAST.Special Features:
- Impressivespoiledme2muchDined on 8/31/2014Our first visit to your restaurant was the result of not being able to get into our favorite in the area. Since we were intertaining out-of-town guests, we were pleasantly surprised at how perfect the evening went. Without a doubt, we will be back, and to bring family, friends and out-of-towners. This may take the place of our favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful musicOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/24/2014Enjoyed a jazz musician during our brunch on the outside terrace. Very fun.Special Features:
- Brand New & Very StylishPkyspndrDined on 8/23/2014Great atmosphere, appitizers a little pricey, my husband loved his steak & my sister said the ribs were very good too. I had an excellent sandwich, & we all agreed we would come back. The Plank is so new that they need some customers, I was expecting to have a wait, but instead it was very slow for only 8pm, & why only open till 10pm? Such a lovely bar should have later hours to draw customers. I (we) highly recommend giving Plank Tavern a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthdayboybirthdayboyDined on 8/21/2014The food was excellent, the service was excellent, the view from the outside dining area was quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeB1921Dined on 8/14/2014Fred and crew are fantastic. Great dinner, great wine. Get the ribs! Oh my! Must try place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014We had group of 13 which included two infants. Choices on menu was excellent. Small things were off i.e. eggs over cooked. Service was warm and pleasant, however not always the most efficient. Meals were served late, as not with the rest of the meals ( two meals were held up by 10-12 minutes.) The views were great and setting was quick. Bar was excellent. Would recommend highly the quirks will iron themselves out.Special Features:
- Awesome!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014My husband and I went here for our anniversary. It was fantastic!! We sat outside by the river which was a nice atmosphere. We had the whitefish dip for an appetizer- it was ok. For dinner I had the lobster mac and cheese and it was amazing! My husband had steak and his was great too. We both had desert--I had the snack pack and OMG it was chocolatey heaven!! Would love to come back and try some of the sandwiches for lunch or a light dinner. Our server was really great too.Special Features:
- Great new place!tomgDined on 8/5/2014Plank's has recently opened and is great place. The set up on the harbor is terrific. They did a nice job of setting things up with a great outdoor setting and a neat bar right on the bay. I think it will grow into a fun place. Service needs a little work but I'll chalk that up to a lot of new people. We need to support a new spot like this to insure it continues to thrive and is available to all for years to come.Special Features:
- So close to five starsfoodladyDined on 7/27/2014Menu was amazing. All but one plates were amazing, however one of the group receives very undercooked eggs. Service was also a tad slow with coffee refills, but overall the meal was very good and we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/26/2014We decided to visit Plank's Tavern because it was the only restaurant listed on OpenTable in St. Joseph, and we are from out of town. We had an amazing experience. We sat outside, sipped on delicious wine, and enjoyed our delicious food while overlooking the water! The staff was incredibly friendly and attentive. The goat cheese appetizer and BBQ ribs were great! We very much enjoyed finishing our drinks on the lawn chairs after our meal. We will most definitely return at our next visit to Silver Beach. Most highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 60 yr olds girls get-togetherILLbebackDined on 7/26/2014We had a WONDERFUL waiter. The food was EXCELLENT! Love the bottomless mimosas. The view was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Dining ExperienceWhatsToEatDined on 7/13/2014Relaxing dining environment. Very attentive and knowledgeable waitstaff. The whitefish was delicious.Special Features:
- needs workdodgemanDined on 7/13/2014I have been to planks twice. The first time my girlfriend and I split the chicken & waffles and the Plank's Burger, and we got the lobster mac as an app. Everything but the burger needed something. Burger was great, but the chicken and waffles as well as the lobster mac was just lacking flavor. Its like it they were just missing something. The ambiance and look was very nice, everything is so new and nice looking. Our server was trying to up-sell us on everything on the menu. She would say "do you guys like fish" and we would reply "no not really" yet she still went on a 5 minute rant about her favorite fish dishes. I don't mind hearing one or two things that the server may want to recommend but she just went on and on.Special Features:
- Harbor DiningChazDined on 7/12/2014Mixed messages, no table clothes and rolled up silverware but fine dining attitude. The dining room is stark, has a cafeteria feel, but a nice outside patio facing the river harbor. The food is very good though portions are small, pricing seems reasonable but when compared with the smallness of this plates does become expensive. The wine list is also small but eclectic and expensive. The manager on duty acts as sommelier. She was attentive and touched each table. Service was friendly and efficient. The staff was very young but were being trained well. Someone here has good fine dining experience and is sharing their knowledge. This place has potential.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious but ExpensiveReadBetweenTheWinesDined on 7/12/2014The food and service at Planks Tavern was fantastic! The only complaint I have is that you get very little for the price. I was surprised that a $25 meal did not come with a complimentary soup, salad, or bread. And it was small enough that as a 5' 2" female I was able to finish the whole plate (so no leftovers). Like I said, a little disappointing for the price but it was very, very, well prepared and the service is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food ExperienceamovingstoryVIPDined on 7/11/2014Plank's Tavern is a great addition to Benton Harbor's bustling food scene. Unfortunately, this is the only restaurant in the area on Open Table. Lucky for you, it's a great restaurant with attentive service. Take advantage of Open table to book a reservation during peak seasons-- PGA events and the Blossomtime Festival.Special Features:
- LocationchayzooDined on 7/11/2014Great view on the river in St. Joseph! Very attentive service.Special Features:
- A gem on the waterDennyVIPDined on 7/10/2014My wife and I dined for the first time at the Tavern on a recent getaway. We are not big outdoor diners but the deck was so inviting we took a chance. The ambience and and weather were picture perfect. We had the Tuna Poke appetizer which was quite good (one minor note, the tuna had a little bit of tough membrane), we split the kale salad that was also nicely done. I had the chicken and waffles and highly recommend it. The wine list was good and our waitress was very good although the entree came out a little early. Will definitely be back. A little hard to find but worth it.Special Features:
- Elegant experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/8/2014Love the large linen napkins, heavy silver ware, nice glass ware, best view from the terrace than any other St.Joe restaurant except Shu's. Enjoyed the 'history' of the place, how it relates to the past, from the hostess while waiting for our party to arrive. Like the use of local art, especially the glass sculpture over the front entranceway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Escape the Chaos of Downtown St JoeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2014On a day when St. Joe was full I had an Open Table for 5 within 1/2 hour of even considering dinner. Every place in town was untouchable. Nice meal, great outdoor setting, good service. Done...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ready for prime timeFoodie4lifeVIPDined on 6/29/2014The restaurant is fairly new and seems like it is still finding it's way. My order was completely messed up and it was not a complicated order, it was a burger. I ask for my burger to be well done and actually specified "no pink" and the burger was rare at best ... as were the fries. The service was embarrassingly slow and the manager (Tegan(?)) only offered excuses for why the meal was so terribly incorrect and did not seem to have an idea how or desire to right the experience and just get the order right. Perhaps after some time and experience, this will be a good place to dine, but not now and not under this management.
- A new hit!!happy1Dined on 6/27/2014Great food, outdoor waterfront dining. Service, view, fun! I am going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new place in SJ/BHOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014Great for brunch. I had the shrimp and grits and it was very good. Everyone at my table enjoyed their food. Sit outside of you can, nice view a very nice ambiance. Bottomless mimosas are a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beauitiful spot on the riverPHanleyDined on 6/19/2014Truly capitalizes on the river with the outdoor seating. Appreciated having the sommelier. Biggest disappointment was that they didn't have an espresso machine.Special Features:
- Not the greatestOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/19/2014Food was overpriced for the quality. To expensive for my taste.Special Features:
- Service/Cocktails NeedWorkfoodiemomDined on 6/13/2014The service was just so, so. Especially the two bartenders were very distracted, did not ask my friend if she wanted another drink when hers was empty, then when I arrived I was standing there next to her with my kids waiting to go to the table she had to ask after 5 minutes for her tab. I ordered a blackberry mojito from our waitress at the table. It was very small, bland (almost none of the blackberry syrup they talked about on the menu), over-sweet, and hardly any mint. Table service was fine, but uninspired. The food was pretty good, but a bit heavy on the salt. I know this is a new restaurant, so I will go back and hope that everything comes together for them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014Our meal was excellent! The rack of ribs was cooked to perfection and had a tangy sauce that really tasted great. The chef maks his own spice mix on the fries that makes them unique and not your run of the mill fries. My wife ordered the margarita flatbread which was very tasty with the roasted garlic. Our waitress was super; very knowledgable of the menu & personable. We're definitely coming back to check out more of the menu!Special Features:
- Keep it simple keep it michiganSoupDined on 6/8/2014We have enjoyed dining at planks for brunch and lunch. After looking at the dinner menu we decided to go elsewhere. There was nothing we wanted to eat!!! We did appreciate the elimination of onions and garlic from our orders. Wait staff is exceptional. Music is nerve wracking. Sorry!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodLoverDined on 6/5/2014The food was very good and the service was excellent! I did feel the eggplant dish was a very small serving and overpriced. The tenderloin with mashed potatoes and aspargus was excellent and a good price. The fish and chips were excellent. I will definitely return! The restaurant has a great ambience. The outdoor dining and bar will be a lot of fun this summer. Welcome to St Joseph!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lousy menuGeePeersDined on 5/30/2014First time there. Did not know what to expect. What I found was a lousy menu. Didn't go there for a hamburger, but that was the only item on the menu that I found attractive. I would consider this a high end restaurant and I should have been able to find something other than a burger to my liking. Also, the appetizer of French onion shop was just average at best. My wife had a salad which was average at best. Certainly have had better. The waitress was great and seemed well trained.
- Planks is THE place to be...CivilOneDined on 5/30/2014The Cities of St. Joseph and Benton Harbor finally have a place on the water with fantastic dining and atmosphere. Chef Tim and his kitchen do a great job of creating and presenting a dining experience worth sharing with friends, family or clients. The atmosphere in both the bar and in the dining area is very welcoming and the outdoor dining will be the hot ticket for the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 0 reviews are from the Plank's Tavern reviews archive.