333 Fulton Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
ScandinavianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.plajrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (415) 863-8400
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sun-Monday 5:00PM - 8:15PM
Tuesday-Thurs 5:00PM - 10:15PM
Fri-Sat 5:00PM - 10:30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Californian, Scandinavian
- Executive Chef: Roberth Sundell
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact Andrea Sundell. Subject to availability.
- Private Party Contact: Andrea Sundell 4152948925x
A word from PLAJ
Introducing PLÄJ, a new innovative concept from Swedish born Owner/Chef Roberth Sundell where California fare and Scandinavian flavors become one. PLÄJ is a celebration of local and seasonal ingredients inspired by the rustic flavors and simple elegance of Scandinavian cusine. PLÄJ embodies the soul of Scandinavia,the place to share the experience of new flavors, great wine, Scandinavian beer, and cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
PLAJ reviews from OpenTable diners
206 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (154)special occasion (109)romantic (98)neighborhood gem (83)good for groups (20)notable wine list (17)hot spot (9)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Quite a stellar dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/16/2014It's been quite a while since we've been this pleased dining out. We liken this place to a nordic Chez Panisse. The courses kept getting better as they came out. (It's always disappointing when the appetizer is the best thing in a restaurant.) The execution was perfect, the dishes were inventive with completely novel flavor profiles. Bravo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, hearty Scandinavian foodNinaVIPDined on 11/15/2014A very diverse and interesting menu of hearty gourmet Scandinavian foods. I highly recommend the potato dumplings and the Swedish meatballs--you won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We are hooked!LiveToEatVIPDined on 11/14/2014This was our first time at Plaj and we are definitely putting it on our personal list of best foods in the Bay Area. We love the menu in the way the choices are categorized. We loved the choices available, we love the presentation of the food and the beautiful ingredients that are so well executed. We can't rave enough about it. As a matter of fact, I just made a reservation for my aunt's birthday dinner next month.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service way below usualsuttercreekDined on 11/13/2014We have eaten here before, we really enjoy the Scandinavian menu as it is quite different from the mainstream Calif foodie experience. However, on this night the service was really suffering. Our waitress disappeared, it took forever for our order to be taken, very difficult to get the wine ordered, service so slow that even though they knew we had a curtain across the street at the Opera house they did not ask us about dessert until it was too late to order any of the special desserts. Based on this we will think long and hard before we go to PLAJ again. Hoping for the sake of their business that this was an unusual blip in the service and they'll return to their usual format soon!Special Features:
- Pre-opera dineravercampVIPDined on 11/13/2014This restaurant has some good dishes, but the menu is just too difficult to order a small to medium dinner. We received no help from the waitress at all. There are a number of small plates but some of them are very similar, and there are very few entrees.
- Try itOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/13/2014Our first visit was very pleasant. All aspects were well done and the Swedish pancakes themselves are worth a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MangoVIPDined on 11/12/2014Plaj has all the elements of a fantastic dining experience. The ambience is warm and inviting. Tables are spaced far enough apart and the noise level is low. The food was incredibky good. We ordered the burrata salad which was one of the stars of the night. The braised ox beef cheeks are meltingly tender, the poached lobster with lobster foam divine, and the aebelskiver with butter and cloudberry jam delicious to end this thoroyghly experience. Kudos to PlajSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Treasure of TasteskalianderVIPDined on 11/10/2014The food at Plaj is a feast of multiple tastes. Each dish differed from the last and all were presented beautifully and artistically. The service was superb. A perfect place for a romantic, quiet dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inventive food and cocktailstastyDined on 11/9/2014The ambiance with dark wood, mirrors to enhance spaciousness is so containing. The we'll prepared food is interesting and unusual. (Elk and Boar) The cocktails contained spices such as cardoman (delicious) and other drinks are a quality with different flavors. A very special dining experience moderately priced for a Special Occasion. Each day we breath in and out is a special occasion. Sheila Zarb-Harper,Ph.DSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodsigridDined on 11/6/2014Good great ratings for the interior design, but that was a bit disappointing. Rather old fashioned. Drinks excellent. Menu very interesting with Swedish background but the upscale twist with the very fresh ingredients made it beautiful food. Also, menu not too overwhelming. Service, by all waiters with Swedish heritage, also very well.Special Features:
- Best dinner in many yearsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/4/2014The dining experience was elegant and the food more than delicious. The chef is so creative in bringing together wonderful flavors that you wouldn't think of and lovely textures to make this one of the best meals three of us have ever had. We tasted six dishes among us and can report that all six were out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderstaffedgregorioVIPDined on 11/4/2014I have dined here six times with enjoyed all but the last. There is a large pre-theater surge and it definitely got in the way this time. Had to wait 30 minutes for second course and had to remind server twice to bring bill as we were off to theater----having told her this upon arrival, too. Finally, wine-by-the-glass red bordeaux had been opened too long and was dull and oxidized. Would have sent back but server was hard to track down. Too bad---it has been reliably good and different from other restaurants.
- Better the Second Time AroundBJTravelerDined on 11/3/2014This was our second visit, and while we enjoyed dinner the first time, everything seemed/tasted better the second time around. The variety, quality, presentation and taste of all four dishes was outstanding.Special Features:
- Excellent DiningJack1938VIPDined on 11/1/2014My friend and I have dined here several times before the opera. Always enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winner!Roo2614Dined on 10/30/2014We visited Plaj on e again! It was again a perfect evening! Service, food, ambiance, and not exaggerated prices! We will return again and again! This restaurant is a winner!Special Features:
- Creative, modern Scandinavian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/29/2014Don't miss the terrific cocktails ( gloved the Rye and Cucumber!) or the special twist on warm chocolate cake dessert. Wonderful service, new combinations of flavors, lovely ambience. Well worth the visit - a place to celebrate for 2 or a small group.Special Features:
- Excellent Scandinavian theme foodpH123VIPDined on 10/26/2014It's minutes walk from the opera/symphony and in a small hotel. The menu is organized into groups of small and some larger plates listed under Day, Garden, Fjord and Beta. I didn't fully understand the groupings, but in each were both the well known and something eclectic. Under Fjord: herring and several preparations of salmon. Beta: chicken, elk saddle, sweetbreads & very good charcuterie . All plates are larger than I expected and all are superbly presented. Service was impeccable and the setting quiet and delightful. Wines were good and there are unusual cocktails. Not just for a pre or post performance event, I'd go back in a heartbeat. Among my favorite restaurants of the past year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pläj was just okay.MikkoDined on 10/26/2014The drinks were great! The food on the other hand was on the verge of bland. Suppose that goes with the territory, but does not need to. The Alaskan halibut was cooked to perfection, but the rest of the meal was under seasoned.Special Features:
- SuperbHagoratDined on 10/25/2014Food was fantastic. Drinks awesome. I'll return for sure.Special Features:
- Love it!!! Foods are divine!mccoyDined on 10/25/2014Scandinavian gem in the city!! Fast service! It arouses multiple senses while dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JUST A GEM!!!sheridanaVIPDined on 10/24/2014While we have eaten here at least 10++++ times, we are always delighted with everything. Food is great, service is attentive and warm, ambiance unusually charming!!! I almost don't want to TELL anyone, as I will never get in again!! Love this placeSpecial Features:
- One of sf's best restaurantsAbbyDined on 10/24/2014Food and restaurants in San Francisco tend to underwhelm me. Prescribing to routine and falling deep into the haze of "California cuisine". Plaj is different. Yes it's "ingredient driven" and sure one could consider it "cuisine from California" but it's also much much more. Are first dish, hearing, salty and strong was brightened with yogurt and citrus then softened with fresh dill. Everything we ate was like this, flavors developing like great dancers; Pushing and pulling, cutting in with perfect timing, never tripping and always on point. If your unwilling to break your routine stick with Nopa or Zuni or Flour and Water or AQ or commonwealth or any restaurant in the mission with loud music and an open kitchen. For memorable goto plajSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Suomi1Dined on 10/23/2014Interesting combinations of foods on the platters. Grav lox was good, but I did not care for rye crumbs with it. I am from Finland and nuts about anything rye, but crumbs were dry and boring. A piece of good rye bread would have been much better. I also expected MORE real Scandinavian cuisine. Herring was outstanding, pork belly was very moist and had a lot of favor. Others ordered halibut and were very pleased. Apple cobbler melted in the mouth. Service was technically good, but the waitress was a bit cold and humorless. This was a first restaurant we have visited in a few years where we actually had a real conversation with normal voices without shouting and going deaf. How pleasant and refreshing. We will visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarionDined on 10/22/2014As usual dining at Plaj is always a pleasure. The wait staff is very professional and attentive and the food is served at the proper temperature with an explanation of each item.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Accentuated Swedish cuisineLocaldinerDined on 10/21/2014The food is fabulous utilizing local farm fresh produce, meets, and cheeses. The rye bread is reminiscent of the Swedish rye bread my grandmother would make - it is fabulous! I found the food to be the best flavors from the old world but in generous portions sized for the New World. Yum, Yum, Yum Elegant, fresh, authentic, nouveau, and traditional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/21/2014Food was fabulous, will try again but after informing staff we had tickets for the opera and limited time for our meal, service was slow to take our order, slow delivering dishes and so slow we had no time to order desserts which we were looking forward to sampling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PeggyVIPDined on 10/20/2014I didn't realize how much I like Scandanavian flavors. Best pickled herring, ever! And the poached salmon was absolutely lovely, to look at and to eat.Special Features:
- Scandinavian Delight!JrcinmsVIPDined on 10/18/2014What a treat to find a Swedish restaurant in San Francisco when we were there to support our daughter's first half marathon. She had studied for 6 months in Sweden and enjoyed the trip down culinary memory lane! The place is near the theater and opera so there was a crowd there early to make their dates. As we were lingering, it quieted down and then reenergized a bit afterward. The food is mostly in small plates, good for sharing. We enjoyed it all but the lobster dish stood out. Too full for dessert, but they had some delicious sounding ones!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love itDonfVIPDined on 10/18/2014Always a great experience eating at Plaj. The evening it was packed because of three shows in the area but somehow service didn't suffer. WEll run restaurant.Special Features:
- Going back for more...!Roo2614Dined on 10/17/2014We have been to Plaj before, this time we took friends since our previous experience was so great! Plaj did not disappoint us. The food was as good as ever! Our friends who are from the Scandanavian region were pleasantly surprised and they will go again to try more delicious dishes. We are going again, in a bout two weeks, with more friends and we know that the food, the service and the ambiance will impress them. Good job Plaj! We are coming back for more!Special Features:
- Very good Scandinavian restaurantavercampVIPDined on 10/15/2014Most of the dishes we tried in two visits were very good. The menu is quite confusing however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best herring everAnnaMarieDined on 10/11/2014Main menu is excellent - diverse, seasonal, fresh. Wonderful takes on Scandanavian classics, especially the herring 3 ways. Aebelskivers (dessert) delicious and fun, but the rest of the desserts were just ok.
- Always Wonderful!OpinionatedVIPDined on 10/10/2014I start to wonder if I have Nordic in my blood, there are so many things on the menu I want, and so many things I eat that are delicious. So many different textures and flavors, a lot of vegetable dishes. Overall YUM!Special Features:
- A culinary journeyEatWithEmDined on 10/10/2014The Blood Pudding was delicious. My date and I agreed that it was probably the best dish we ordered. In addition to that, we had the Fried Lefse, in house Bread, Poached lobster w/ skagen and caviar and the halibut. All were delicious and unique (to my palate). The menu warns you that the plates are to be shared and not large, but we thought they were medium sized and walked out overstuffed (but happy). You have to walk through a hotel lobby to get to the restaurant, . Location is great if you are going to the symphony (like we were); however, remember to let your server know that. Mine knew it and still didn't bring all our dishes at once (he claimed there wasn't enough room at the table). All in all a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Consistently greatOverservedVIPDined on 10/10/2014This place is always innovating and offering new twists on old favorite, like smoked salmon. The bread is to die for and I always look forward to their cocktail list.Special Features:
- More fusion than pure scandinavianyummyDined on 10/7/2014The food is different from the usual French, Italian and Californian fare. Food is generally good, though not outstanding. The braised ox cheek is flavourful and tender enough to cut with your fork, but the accompanying fried onion totally let it down -- it tasted stale and best left untouched. Service was slow, considering the restaurant was not busy.Special Features:
- Eclectic menuLAHSVIPDined on 10/7/2014It is a treat to find a restaurant serving Scandinavian food, especially near the Opera house.I have been there twice now and each time have been introduced to something I have never tasted before. If you enjoy seeking our new cuisine this is the place for you. There were many offerings with several ingredients that were unfamiliar - gooseberries with squid, herring, potato pancakes fried and served with eggplant dip. The wine list pairs nicely with the cuisine. While I would not order some of the dishes again (acquired taste, I think) I appreciated trying them and will be back to educate my palate on more Scandinavian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sensory pleasuresmk2011VIPDined on 10/5/2014Our second visit to Plaj did not disappoint us! The fusion of California freshness and presentation applied to Swedish traditional dishes delighted us again! You can taste the food as it is presented... beautiful for the eyes and delectable aromas for the nose! Our server, Chloe, was charming and friendly, knowledgeable and unpretentious and she attended to our every need! It's so rare to find a white linen restaurant in SF these days... this is our favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!JGoldDined on 10/4/2014I definitely plan to return to Plaj. The food is delicious with unique flavor. The attentive staff offered great service. Perfect place to dine prior to the opera or symphony. The location is convenient, as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre Opera AdventureLikestoCookDined on 9/30/2014Yes we did enjoy the food here and it was a surprise. The chef, from Petaluma, brings down fresh ingredients and makes wonderful, tasty, original plates. We did enjoy the winter squash, beetroot salad with a lovely puree, and the very, very rich meatballs....and potato mash perfection. Excellent service and a nice wine list. Made it to the show on time would go back. Very nice restaurant.Special Features: