333 Fulton Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
ScandinavianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.plajrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (415) 863-8400
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sun-Monday 5:00PM - 8:15PM
Tuesday-Thurs 5:00PM - 10:15PM
Fri-Sat 5:00PM - 10:30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Californian, Scandinavian
- Executive Chef: Roberth Sundell
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact Andrea Sundell. Subject to availability.
- Private Party Contact: Andrea Sundell 4152948925x
A word from PLAJ
Introducing PLÄJ, a new innovative concept from Swedish born Owner/Chef Roberth Sundell where California fare and Scandinavian flavors become one. PLÄJ is a celebration of local and seasonal ingredients inspired by the rustic flavors and simple elegance of Scandinavian cusine. PLÄJ embodies the soul of Scandinavia,the place to share the experience of new flavors, great wine, Scandinavian beer, and cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
PLAJ reviews from OpenTable diners
205 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (154)special occasion (107)romantic (98)neighborhood gem (82)good for groups (20)notable wine list (17)hot spot (9)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Outstanding DiningJack1938VIPDined on 9/27/2014My lady and I dined on a Saturday night before the opera. It was an outstanding experience. We both had the beet salad and lamb. My lady commented that it was the best meal that she ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- servicezorroVIPDined on 9/25/2014The food is excellent however the service has gotten worse in the last year. Any waiter or waitress who hovers, and after seeing one take a bite of food, then asks "hows your meal?" while my mouth is full, must have no experience in waiting.
- Such a nice change!BeachyGalVIPDined on 9/25/2014Plaj offers a refreshing alternative to the usual culinary choices in this area. Everything we ate had a fresh flavor profile and nice portion sizes. Even the simple dressing on the greens was light, tart and nicely different. The boar belly was cooked perfectly and accompanying veg was terrific. Dining partner sent back her meat-balls- I agreed that they tasted overly seasoned although the kitchen maintained this was their usual taste. They promptly brought her the sweetbreads which she declared perfect. Loved the princess cake for desert, too. The Carignane by the glass was a bit pricey and only meh, but the other wines were delicious. Over all this was a wonderful surprise and we certainly will be including it in our dining rotation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good, butconcertgirlDined on 9/25/2014good food. Both hostess and server made a note that we wanted to leave by 7:30, but we still had to leave without dessert or coffee.That was a disappointment.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/24/2014This is my second time going to Plaj, both times were for birthdays. They are extremely accommodating, my boyfriend doesn't eat sugar so they were going to give him a cheese plate instead of a cake but unfortunately we ran out of time as we had to catch a show. The food is fantastic, it is pretty pricey, but is definitely worth it if you have a special occasion coming up.Special Features:
- Outstading Pre Theatre DinningVPaulVIPDined on 9/23/2014We have dined at Plaj several times. They have wonderful Scandinavian cuisine, thoughtfully presented, with delicious accompaniments What originally attracted us is that they will valet park you car while attending the Theatre, Opera, or Symphony. What keeps us coming back is the food!Special Features:
- Our favorite pre-opera restaurantPAJanVIPDined on 9/23/2014We love this restaurant! The food is interesting, delicious and expertly prepared and the service is perfectly paced for a relaxed meal while allowing ample time to walk to the Opera House.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SFfoodloverVIPDined on 9/21/2014My first time here and my first time with Swedish food. Everything was delightful. The setting in a boutique hotel is most charming. Many of the dishes are designed to share and all were wonderful, especially the meatballs and the smoked salmon. Well worth visiting for that special dinner.Special Features:
- Exceptional Scandanavian CuisinecontestantDined on 9/20/2014We usually eat at French restaurants or places serving California cuisine. Plaj's menu looked good because of all the fish. So for a change we made reservations for our first visit to Plaj. Our favorite Danish restaurant in New York is Aquavit and Plaj is actually better. It turns out the dishes are big enough for sharing and we ordered 4 courses for 2 people. The Chef prepares avant-garde, modern food that is cutting edge. Each plate is so beautifully presented. Recommendations are the herring appetizer and Swedish meatballs. The service is without a doubt what sets Plaj apart. The server timed the wine to arrive with each course, marked the silverware, and checked back to ask about each course. The kitchen keeps the food coming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- denhaaghlDined on 9/20/2014this is the best choice i've found near the sf symphony. pre-show it is packed. the ingredients are very fresh and the quality is good.
- Who knew? Swedish CuisineCarinaVIPDined on 9/19/2014I visited Plaj with a friend before the opera the other night. I had a 5:30 reservation, and wanted to get out in enough time to get to the lecture before the opera. Not only did they get me out in time, but I had a very nice dinner too. I ordered the sweetbreads, and they came rare, sautéed, and in a pretty interesting foam. Simply wonderful. My friend had the halibut and the beet root salad. Both, marvelous. The chef has made some really interesting choices, not only in what he's putting on the menu, but also, on how they're arranging the menu. A lot of fun. Also, I will say that the ambiance is really nice. Not too dressy, a little hip, but so inviting.Special Features:
- A reminder of Northern climesKysymysDined on 9/13/2014My partner and I were intrigued by the thought of a Nordic restaurant in San Francisco, having travelled to Scandinavia over the years. Our meal hit all the nostalgia buttons while the food was still firmly grounded in the contemporary. Our starter consisted of cloudberry jam and flatbread. Foodies rejoice- the server identified the country and region where the berries came from. Berry lovers rejoice- cloudberries are a tiny taste of heaven, with all the sweetness of the short Nordic summer concentrated into a tiny spread on a piece of bread. We moved on to beets with watercress and a lingonberry glaze. Then the chanterelle dishes came out accompanied by (1) poached egg and fresh beans and (2) saddle of venison. Dessert also was lovely.Special Features:
- Great Experience ... AlmostNovato65VIPDined on 9/13/2014Made a reservation in advance for a night of celebration with my daughter. Was very displeased that we were placed basically in the bar area (literally sitting right next to the bar). It took us 20 minutes to get seated, despite the fact that it was an early 5:15 reservation and not crowded (we stood waiting for 10 minutes before anyone addressed us). I asked to be moved and we were then placed by the hostess at the one table that was very dark. So, the location was definitely lacking, and the initial service and hostess-attitude was poor. Having said that, our server was excellent and the food was really very good. So, apart from the poor introduction and less than stellar location, it was good, but on the whole fell short of great.
- Interesting Food!ILike2EatDined on 9/12/2014The flavors of the dishes we had were very interesting and tasty. I soaked up all the sauce with bread. We tried the herring appetizer, the wild boar, the venison, and the Swedish pancake for dessert. Delicious!Special Features:
- Eclectic delightkimikoVIPDined on 9/12/2014Great menu of unusual ingredients focusing on Scandinavian cuisine. Bar choices are limited because of stocking of Scandinavian brands.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/10/2014My friends and I have been to this restaurant many times in the past. This time was a shocker with being told that for sparkling water, it was a $9.00 charge - outrageous!! Furthermore, in looking over past receipts from this restaurant, I found that I had never been charged for sparkling water in the past. Of course, there is no charge that appears on the bill even though I always order it. What was more insulting was having the manager insist that there they had always charged for this. And, quite honestly, before we had even gotten seated, the wait person asked about whether we wanted still or sparkling water, never mentioning that there was now a charge for the sparkling. Telling me that it appears on the menu was not good enough!
- what a treat...HUlagirlVIPDined on 9/8/2014...to find Nouvelle Scandanavian cuisine. Innovative dishes with Scandinavian ingredients. Loved it! Lobster bisque was very delish, salads are good sized, loved the Swedish meatballs; desserts are a must.Special Features:
- Good , not greatthExceptionDined on 9/5/2014Food was decent. Service was lacking (seriously). Would not recommend to a friend, but glad I knocked it off my bookmarks.
- Plaj: A Wonderful SF treasureLainaDined on 9/5/2014Scandinavian foods, long ignored in European cuisine circles, have suddenly become chic. This Swedish restaurant shows why this is so. The foods are delicious, as well as very interesting, and the alcoholic drinks are much better with the food than wine. Look for their seasonal feasts: such as Crawfish and Yule. LainaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/5/2014We all need to leave by 7:30 to be at San Francisco Opera opening night which was made very clear. We did not receive our main course until 7:35. Obvious unpleasant consequences
- Great pre theatre mealIanKDined on 9/2/2014Close to theaters, just a 10 minute walk to the Orpheum on Market. Ambience and service both were very good. The food offers a chance to sample high level Scandinavian food. The burrata salad was excellent. The ox cheek was delicious as were the day boat scallops. Everyone in our group was very pleased with the food. The only slight down note was the $42 pinot grigio, the cheapest bottle on the list, and not worth $42 but it was drinkable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High marks!FoodieReviewDined on 8/29/2014Went because of the high food ratings and was not disappointed. Everything cooked, prepared presented to perfection. Outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stockholm by the BayZisco1600Dined on 8/27/2014My family dined at Plaj last week to celebrate my sister's birthday and thoroughly enjoyed the restaurant. We had seen it reviewed enthusiastically on Check Please, Bay Area, and decided to give it a try. Everything was delicious and its Scandinavian menu unique. Would we go back? Yes!Special Features:
- PKBBDined on 8/26/2014This was not our first visit, and everything last night was as always--Delicious food, lovely ambience, attentive but NOT intrusive service. One of the key elements of the place to us has to be the fact that one can have a conversation with one's companion. So many places today have a noise level that makes it impossible to enjoy the lovely meals. We cannot more highly recommend this place (which makes sense, as we have been there ourselves multiple times!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique farePhilspillsthebeansVIPDined on 8/23/2014Plaj offers a different and unique menu that's initially perplexing but is well worth the effort to master. Our server was most helpful in guiding us to dishes that fit our desires. Mustard greens salad with burrata and tomato was and dusted with a crunchy spicy something was delicious. We all enjoyed our main selections -- beef cheeks, halibut and swedish meatballs. There are many unusual options that are very appealing prepared -- poached lobster, venison and other scandinavian delicacies. Brief but well thought out wine list and very good deserts. All round, Plaj is a winner.Special Features:
- great food/drinks - could be betterJonnyDined on 8/22/2014Food was excellent; Drinks were exquisite; Service was decent but not extraordinary (we all felt like our server was upset with out table); Table was not ready on time; Dining room was extremely hot & uncomfortableSpecial Features:
- Wedding DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/22/2014We had a party of 10 and everybody agreed that the food was excellent.Special Features:
- Probably my last time hereandyDined on 8/21/2014Short resume of last night: I am embarrassed on your staff's behalf. The blonde lady at the entrance asked my reservation name 3 times, twice at the entrance, 1 time during dinner. The bartender was completely rude to my boyfriend and I. We waited 30 mins for the drinks (beers!). We got the bread after the appetizers were brought. Then the main course comes, and I am getting my appetizer again (instead of the main course!). So, instead of removing both plates, my plate is taken back and my boyfriend is supposed to eat by himself. After another 20 mins, I get my main course- the order is mixed again. I thought it was some kind of joke. I was polite and asked for our check. I felt so embarrassed I brought my boyfriend here. Unacceptable.
- Something DifferentSFCAVIPDined on 8/20/2014If you want to have something different I highly recommend Plaj. The food is Scandinavian with a modern touch. I have been there many times since it opened and have found the food to be exciting and delicious. I think this is the only restaurant in the Bay Area that offers tihs type of cuisine and I highly recommend it. Being one block from the Opera House and San Francisco Symphony hall is a great plus. Cray fish (I call them craw fish) is in season and I had a nice meal of them this week. Call first to be sure that they are available. I consider the in-house princess cake to be the best that I have ever had.Special Features:
- Very good take on Scandinavian foodWeimarnerVIPDined on 8/18/2014Plaj had a very interesting menu choices all representing Scandinavian roots. The balance of sweet and savory in food was fantastic. As a vegetarian, there were plenty of choices to select from. Also non alcoholic drink choices were interesting. We had lingonberry soda abs strawberry/juniper soda. Both were great. Service was also very good. They were helpful in explaining the dishes and also in selecting dishes. Overall, I would highly recommend Plaj to anyone who is looking to try Scandinavian cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- myogiDined on 8/17/2014We had a number of dishes from each grouping, all were very tasty and some were superb. Particularly good were ones that seemed traditionally Scandinavian with very fresh components. The desserts were a real treat as well. We shared the cardamon brulee and the princess cake in a jar (yummm).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummmmy....cariokaDined on 8/16/2014eat. here. now. the food is so amazing at this neighborhood treasure trove of flavors! conservative interior, quiet, elegant. enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- interesting menube4theoperaDined on 8/16/2014Food was wonderful--lovely presentation with delightful sauces. Lighting a bit too dim for my taste, making it difficult to read the interesting menu without the aid of a flashlight. Waitress had to be reminded twice about my wine. But, I will come back to try some of the other items on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scandinavia meets San FranciscoAprilLDined on 8/15/2014Plaj serves creative, impeccably prepared small plates with a Scandinavian touch. The dishes tend to be rich in a luxurious way - eight of them were plenty for four people. We thoroughly enjoyed the evening except that around 9:00 pm (on a Saturday) the restaurant became so loud that we could no longer talk with each other.Special Features:
- Wonderful food and drinks!KuronekoVIPDined on 8/13/2014This was my second time at Plaj, and it was a great experience! My favorite drinks are the Kronan Sour and Plajer! The Swedish meatballs are a must, but everything here is absolutely tasty (even the warm bread and butter)! I'll definitely be back again. :)Special Features:
- Great find!NorskEADined on 8/12/2014On a visit to San Francisco this month (8/2014), we happened upon this reataurant and couldn't have been more pleased. The menu is unusual but not outlandish and the dishes are excellent. We will definitely visit again on another trip to SF.Special Features:
- Another superb dining experienceInfrequentReviewerDined on 8/11/2014This was my second dinner at Plaj, which implies that my first was excellent - and it was. The menu is a bit different, in the sense that (like having tapas) small plates make sharing easy and very enjoyable. However, there are options that involve larger portions, for those who want their own meal. The food was just outstanding - interesting, very different than most restaurants around, creative, and delicious. I particularly recommend the herring (served three ways) - although the menu changes periodically - and the beetroot dish. The specialty cocktail list was also very appealing. I live on the 'wrong' coast, however, I am in San Francisco periodically and certainly plan to return to Plaj.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Benicia Babe Goes to PlajBeniciaBabe55VIPDined on 8/9/2014Plaj is a real neighborhood find, especially in the Hayes Valley where there can be some odd characters hanging out. A great evening would be to go there either before or after the theatre. Make sure to go to the Boxing Club around the corner for a drink. I had the sausage and potatoes; real comfort food at its best.Special Features:
- Amazing food and ambience!NikkilalalaDined on 8/8/2014such good food but must order several dishes because portions are really small and the price of each dish ranges from $17 and aboveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Somewhat overpricedquietplsDined on 8/4/2014The ambience is classy and it is pretty quiet even with a full house. The food ranged from very good to fair. The Swedish meatballs were dry and the halibut was very fishy tasting and smelling. The potato dumplings were very bland. The ox cheeks were very tender and delicious. The beet salad was half the size of a typical dinner salad and $16...good but not worth it. Tab for 3 with the cheapest wine and one desert (very good) was $215.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.