333 Fulton Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
ScandinavianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.plajrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4158638400x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sun-Monday 5:00PM - 8:15PM
Tuesday-Thurs 5:00PM - 10:15PM
Fri-Sat 5:00PM - 10:30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Californian, Scandinavian
- Executive Chef: Roberth Sundell
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact Andrea Sundell. Subject to availability.
- Private Party Contact: Andrea Sundell 4152948925x
A word from PLAJ
Introducing PLÄJ, a new innovative concept from Swedish born Owner/Chef Roberth Sundell where California fare and Scandinavian flavors become one. PLÄJ is a celebration of local and seasonal ingredients inspired by the rustic flavors and simple elegance of Scandinavian cusine. PLÄJ embodies the soul of Scandinavia,the place to share the experience of new flavors, great wine, Scandinavian beer, and cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
PLAJ reviews from OpenTable diners
229 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (159)special occasion (131)romantic (112)neighborhood gem (84)good for groups (16)late-night find (12)notable wine list (12)vibrant bar scene (6)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2014This was not our first visit, and everything last night was as always--Delicious food, lovely ambience, attentive but NOT intrusive service. One of the key elements of the place to us has to be the fact that one can have a conversation with one's companion. So many places today have a noise level that makes it impossible to enjoy the lovely meals. We cannot more highly recommend this place (which makes sense, as we have been there ourselves multiple times!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique farePhilspillsthebeansVIPDined on 8/23/2014Plaj offers a different and unique menu that's initially perplexing but is well worth the effort to master. Our server was most helpful in guiding us to dishes that fit our desires. Mustard greens salad with burrata and tomato was and dusted with a crunchy spicy something was delicious. We all enjoyed our main selections -- beef cheeks, halibut and swedish meatballs. There are many unusual options that are very appealing prepared -- poached lobster, venison and other scandinavian delicacies. Brief but well thought out wine list and very good deserts. All round, Plaj is a winner.Special Features:
- great food/drinks - could be betterJonnyDined on 8/22/2014Food was excellent; Drinks were exquisite; Service was decent but not extraordinary (we all felt like our server was upset with out table); Table was not ready on time; Dining room was extremely hot & uncomfortableSpecial Features:
- Wedding DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/22/2014We had a party of 10 and everybody agreed that the food was excellent.Special Features:
- Probably my last time hereandyDined on 8/21/2014Short resume of last night: I am embarrassed on your staff's behalf. The blonde lady at the entrance asked my reservation name 3 times, twice at the entrance, 1 time during dinner. The bartender was completely rude to my boyfriend and I. We waited 30 mins for the drinks (beers!). We got the bread after the appetizers were brought. Then the main course comes, and I am getting my appetizer again (instead of the main course!). So, instead of removing both plates, my plate is taken back and my boyfriend is supposed to eat by himself. After another 20 mins, I get my main course- the order is mixed again. I thought it was some kind of joke. I was polite and asked for our check. I felt so embarrassed I brought my boyfriend here. Unacceptable.
- Something DifferentSFCAVIPDined on 8/20/2014If you want to have something different I highly recommend Plaj. The food is Scandinavian with a modern touch. I have been there many times since it opened and have found the food to be exciting and delicious. I think this is the only restaurant in the Bay Area that offers tihs type of cuisine and I highly recommend it. Being one block from the Opera House and San Francisco Symphony hall is a great plus. Cray fish (I call them craw fish) is in season and I had a nice meal of them this week. Call first to be sure that they are available. I consider the in-house princess cake to be the best that I have ever had.Special Features:
- Very good take on Scandinavian foodWeimarnerVIPDined on 8/18/2014Plaj had a very interesting menu choices all representing Scandinavian roots. The balance of sweet and savory in food was fantastic. As a vegetarian, there were plenty of choices to select from. Also non alcoholic drink choices were interesting. We had lingonberry soda abs strawberry/juniper soda. Both were great. Service was also very good. They were helpful in explaining the dishes and also in selecting dishes. Overall, I would highly recommend Plaj to anyone who is looking to try Scandinavian cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- myogiDined on 8/17/2014We had a number of dishes from each grouping, all were very tasty and some were superb. Particularly good were ones that seemed traditionally Scandinavian with very fresh components. The desserts were a real treat as well. We shared the cardamon brulee and the princess cake in a jar (yummm).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummmmy....OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/16/2014eat. here. now. the food is so amazing at this neighborhood treasure trove of flavors! conservative interior, quiet, elegant. enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- interesting menube4theoperaDined on 8/16/2014Food was wonderful--lovely presentation with delightful sauces. Lighting a bit too dim for my taste, making it difficult to read the interesting menu without the aid of a flashlight. Waitress had to be reminded twice about my wine. But, I will come back to try some of the other items on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scandinavia meets San FranciscoAprilLDined on 8/15/2014Plaj serves creative, impeccably prepared small plates with a Scandinavian touch. The dishes tend to be rich in a luxurious way - eight of them were plenty for four people. We thoroughly enjoyed the evening except that around 9:00 pm (on a Saturday) the restaurant became so loud that we could no longer talk with each other.Special Features:
- Wonderful food and drinks!KuronekoDined on 8/13/2014This was my second time at Plaj, and it was a great experience! My favorite drinks are the Kronan Sour and Plajer! The Swedish meatballs are a must, but everything here is absolutely tasty (even the warm bread and butter)! I'll definitely be back again. :)Special Features:
- Great find!NorskEADined on 8/12/2014On a visit to San Francisco this month (8/2014), we happened upon this reataurant and couldn't have been more pleased. The menu is unusual but not outlandish and the dishes are excellent. We will definitely visit again on another trip to SF.Special Features:
- Another superb dining experienceInfrequentReviewerDined on 8/11/2014This was my second dinner at Plaj, which implies that my first was excellent - and it was. The menu is a bit different, in the sense that (like having tapas) small plates make sharing easy and very enjoyable. However, there are options that involve larger portions, for those who want their own meal. The food was just outstanding - interesting, very different than most restaurants around, creative, and delicious. I particularly recommend the herring (served three ways) - although the menu changes periodically - and the beetroot dish. The specialty cocktail list was also very appealing. I live on the 'wrong' coast, however, I am in San Francisco periodically and certainly plan to return to Plaj.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Benicia Babe Goes to PlajBeniciaBabe55VIPDined on 8/9/2014Plaj is a real neighborhood find, especially in the Hayes Valley where there can be some odd characters hanging out. A great evening would be to go there either before or after the theatre. Make sure to go to the Boxing Club around the corner for a drink. I had the sausage and potatoes; real comfort food at its best.Special Features:
- Amazing food and ambience!NikkilalalaDined on 8/8/2014such good food but must order several dishes because portions are really small and the price of each dish ranges from $17 and aboveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Somewhat overpricedquietplsDined on 8/4/2014The ambience is classy and it is pretty quiet even with a full house. The food ranged from very good to fair. The Swedish meatballs were dry and the halibut was very fishy tasting and smelling. The potato dumplings were very bland. The ox cheeks were very tender and delicious. The beet salad was half the size of a typical dinner salad and $16...good but not worth it. Tab for 3 with the cheapest wine and one desert (very good) was $215.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday pleasantries...edsanfranVIPDined on 8/3/2014Went there for my bday and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of food. The only caveat is that the place GETS WARM (other reviewers have been correct). Started off with an interesting yet tasty cold poached lobster with foam, and friend had the burratta with greens. Entrees consisted of excellent venison with veggies, and the smoked salmon that soothed the palate. We skipped on dessert, and they were kind enough to send out some dessert wine for my bday. I'd go back in a hot NY second!Special Features:
- Great for novices!MissingChicagoVIPDined on 8/2/2014If you never tried Scandinavian food, this is a wonderful place to have a go at it. The dishes were great, even the herring pickled three ways- i had reservations but ended up really enjoying it. All dishes were beautifully prepared and presented. Ingredients were fresh, elegant. The lobster dish definitely not to miss. There specials of the day - all sounded very good, almost difficult to choose from. Swedish meatballs were comforting ...definitely something to experience and go back to to get your scandinavian dish fixSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great surprisefoodloverDined on 8/2/2014It is a small and elegant restaurant. We ended up eating mostly appetizers because they were delicious. we also ordered a salad. We could not get to the main dishes but we are planning to go back to try some of the main courses.Special Features:
- Interesting flavor combinationsPickyforareasonDined on 8/1/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the unique seasoning and combinations of ingredients that made each dish distinctive. The aquavit vinaigrette, for example, brought a floral/herbaceous note to the salad very different from a grape based vinegar. Saffron on herring, blackberries with scallops - delicious. Save room for desserts. The lavender granola crust strawberry rhubarb pie with bay leaf ice cream - memorable. The bay leaves and lavender created a flavor that can only be described as like tasting the smell of walking through parts of Golden Gate Park. Hurrah for carpeted floor - we could hear each other across the table and actually conducted a conversation without having to shout. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Great Scandinavian Restaurant in SFRDB27Dined on 8/1/2014For Scandinavian food lovers, this is the place to dine. We thoroughly enjoyed our recent return visit. From their great home made rye bread, to their Swedish meat balls, and other delicious menu items, Plaj continues to shine. Our server was attentive and managed to serve the dinner in time for our early Symphony concert. Don't miss their interesting cocktails. The Tulip was wonderful.Special Features:
- Had a great experiencekittycatDined on 7/31/2014I really enjoyed having dinner at Plaj with my group of friends. I had the Berkshire pork belly and the meat just melted in my mouth. Very delicious. The decor and ambience was nice. Servers were great and the food was unique and special. My only comment would be that the menu was a bit confusing with ingredients that I never heard of and the categories were in Swedish (Dagen, Hagen, Fjord, etc). It is a fancy restaurant so I expect the menu to be fancier than what I am use to but it took awhile to figure out what my party wanted to order. Aside from that (which was very minor and didn't detract the overall experience, I thought dinner at Plaj was lovely.)Special Features:
- Swedish delightTheDudeDined on 7/30/2014Plaj has proven to be a unique and creative gem. I have been three times and it has been completely different and exciting each time. The food is superb and not only a pleasure to look at but the combined flavored are like a Swedish Safari. Add to that impeccable service including the beautiful and charming hostess and the always attentive bartender and you have the Scandinavian equivalent of a grand slam.Special Features:
- Interesting cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 7/30/2014I really liked trying the scandinavian cuisine inspired food at Plaj. The food is very good with some unique flavors.Special Features:
- Imaginative and tastyMistereksVIPDined on 7/30/2014Pleasantly surprised to find such interesting and delicious Scandinavian food here. Everything was wonderful - complex flavors beautifully assembled and balanced.Special Features:
- Scandinavian EleganceFoodie4lifeDined on 7/28/2014An amazing dining experience. The food is very well-prepared and presented. Best of all, the dishes are unusual and interesting. This restaurant is not cheap but the food is high-end and unique, and thus for us it was well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something differentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/26/2014We were looking for something different and saw PLAJ as offering Scandinavian food. We were delighted with the find. Good flavors and nice presentation. The wait-staff was helpful and attentive. The restaurant was a little warm but that was likely because we went ona very warm night in San Francisco.Special Features:
- fabulous Scandinavian gourmettaylorDined on 7/26/2014Plaj is a gem...incredible menu--great taste, beautiful presentation, and lovely venue. The Chef's Tasting Menu with beverage pairing gives you an appreciation for the wonderful diversity of the Scandinavian menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food for foodiesdeannaVIPDined on 7/26/2014We loved the food.We ordered a variety and it did not disappoint.service is superb. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit or missJustinDined on 7/25/2014Plaj was a nice change to what I often eat on Friday nights, but not every dish was excellent. I will say that the day boat scallops were superbly cooked, possessed an excellent texture, and the flavor of the fish and sauce worked well together. The halibut itself was also a nice dish, though the sauces overpowered with in flavor and mouth-feel. In sum, I wouldn't say Plaj is worth the price, but it wasn't a bad place to try.Special Features:
- Great Plaj ExperienceEastBayGuyVIPDined on 7/25/2014Plaj is a great experience. Convenient to the Opera House, Davies Symphony Hall and, when back in business, Herbst Auditorium. Plates are small (but pricey!) and meant to be shared. The menu is well laid out so you can work your way through the garden, the sea and the pasture. We've sampled probably a dozen different dishes with high marks for all. Desserts, which can be risky elsewhere, were also delicious! Everything was beautifully plated and our service from Chloe was attentive. Ambiance is definitely more old world than modern Scandinavian but very pleasant and relaxed none the less. We've been twice now and will definitely return (when we've saved enough krone).Special Features:
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/24/2014I recently dined at Plaj for the first time. It was a flawless experience. The food was creative and authentic. The service really terrific; Chloe our server provided input and great recommendations. I would return without hesitation. A really sublime experiences.Special Features:
- ONE OF MY FAVORITE RESTAURANTSIlovetoeatVIPDined on 7/22/2014If and when I go out to dinner, usually before the Opera, the Ballet, or the Symphony I eat here or at Jardiniere. Why go anywhere else? The burrata salad is one of my ALL time favorites! Every meal has been fantastic!Special Features:
- Good experience!andyDined on 7/21/2014I like Plaj a lot; it's the 4th or 5th time I'm here (in 6 months hehe), and it's always so nice. Definitely my favorite restaurant in town; I like the cocktails and the Scandinavian cheese plates. This time I've tried the salmon for the appetizer and I was really happy with it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you like fishYumminessDined on 7/18/2014What they do with herring is spectacular. Their homemade infused vodka was a delightful accompaniment to their fish dishes, and it’s definitely worth trying. They also have freshly baked bread, pumpernickel I think (anyway, it was dark and fragrant). You’ll need plenty of their freshly baked bread to sop up the amazing sauces that accompany each meticulously prepared dish. We had a wonderful time at Plaj. Overall: extremely yummy food and great staff which made the evening fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousSoGoodx10000Dined on 7/17/2014Wonderful experience! Will be back! The service was excellent from everyone. Creative drinks. Bar service was knowledgeable, quick, and tasty. The wait staff was thoughtful, brilliant, and fun. James was spectacular. And James's relief waitress was kind and friendly. Now the food, it was out of this world. Nothing matches the creativeness, and out of the box menu like this any where else in the City. Different yet delicious, multilayered, and simply brilliant. The decor and furniture was beautiful and comfortable. Every last detail was noticeable and appreciated. I hesitate writing this rave review because then people will find out and I won't be able to get reservations the next time I dine here. Thank you Plaj!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrific as alwaysRobinWVIPDined on 7/14/2014Hadn't been back to Plaj in a while and the meal made me wonder why not. As usual everything was delicious and different from most S F restaurants. Great service and we could hear each other. Maybe my favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gorgeous food and experienceSFStacyVIPDined on 7/6/2014This is fresh, interesting, delicious food in a great atmosphere, good service and great cocktails. Very much enjoyed it and highly recommended. We ate family style and loved everything, particularly the charcuterie plate (oh, that apricot jam with it was amazing) and the gnocchi. YUM!Special Features:
- To PlayOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/6/2014My husband and I enjoyed our after opera dinner at Plaj. The food was excellent, the service was outstanding and I found the ambience very conducive to actually having a conversation with my husband (without raising my voice) even though we were in close quarters to another couple. The wait staff (unfortunately, I've forgotten his name but not because he was not memorable!), was very patient in explaining each of the dishes and allowing us to order separate dishes since we did not know how hungry we would be after a dish.Special Features: