736 W. Northwest Highway
Barrington, IL 60010Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pl8simplyasian.com/
- Phone: 8473821988
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm, Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese, Chinese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call the restaurant directly for any off-site catering inquiries.
A word from PL8 Restaurant
The exciting, new restaurant in Barrington. The yin and yang of food and ambiance creating a whole new trend in Asian cuisine. pl8 offers a fresh, imaginative menu of classic Chinese cuisine side by side with Japanese kitchen creations and sushi. pl8 is where you will find a chic city restaurant located in the suburbs. Where you'll find superd et unpretentious service. A menu that is sweet and savory. Classic dished with a smart twist that are 'simply Asian'. We can't wait for you to experience the best of Asian cuisine coming together on one pl8.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerChinese
PL8 Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Barrington ›
PL8 Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (29)fit for foodies (24)special occasion (22)good for groups (22)great for lunch (11)kid-friendly (10)great for outdoor dining (10)romantic (9)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (4)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- dinerDDined on 8/31/2014We started with a sushi appetizer which was perfect in taste and temperature. The 7 flavor chicken was tender and tasty. The dry stir fried beef was my favorite. It was as tensor as a filet. The Pad Thai noodles were good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LeslieVIPDined on 8/26/2014PL8 is truly a hidden gem in the suburbs. PL8 consistently offers wonderful food with unique twists on traditional Asian plates. Their hot and sour soup is the best in the Chicago area and their signature cocktails knock it out of the park. Enjoy a great lunch or dinner with the best service and staff around!Special Features:
- OtisDined on 8/22/2014A great place for drinks, food, and friends! Got together with the girls to celebrate my sister's Birthday, and she was still talking about what a great time she had at PL8. The service was impeccable, I stood up to locate the restrooms and a staff member noticed me straight away and assisted. The Asian Fusion of Chinese and Japanese food is worth trying, I would recommend the Crab Rangoon Chop Sticks to start, out of this world! If you like Martini’s, you have got to try the PL8 Pear Martini. Can’t wait to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LindaDined on 8/15/2014Love the location, great with group or for two. Food is outstanding, and bar is awesome. Even when they are packed, service is friendly and awesome.Special Features:
- Good But PriceyJbirdDined on 8/1/2014Good food that costs too much. The place is nice and the service is good but the same quality food can be had at a much lower price elsewhere.Special Features:
- We'll be back!grwtrDined on 6/27/2014This was our first visit to PL8. Read about it in a local magazine awhile back and decided to make a reservation for our daughters 19th birthday. She LOVES sushi, but I'm not a huge fan so we wanted an Asian restaurant that offered both, which PL8 does. The food presentation was awesome, the portions very generous. I had a scrimp with asparagus dish and it was fantastic! All of us were extremely pleased with our entrees. To top if off, our waitress brought my daughter four banana chocolate dessert wontons accompanied by a small scoop of ice cream with candle for her birthday. PERFECT! Thanks PL8 for making our day special.Special Features:
- Elegant and affordablePolishHamDined on 6/25/2014The feel of an upscale restaurant without the heavy price tag.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2014So happy we found! Everything was excellent! Very friendly service and terrific food. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty!GlobalgourmetDined on 6/20/2014I am never disappointed when I eat here. The food is tasty and portion size is average. If you are really hungry I would suggest soup or some appetizers. We tried the tempura and it was very good. The prices are very fair.Special Features:
- Extensive Menu-not just sushiPaulaDined on 6/15/2014Very extensive menu with lots of choices beside Sushi. Lots of appetizers to choose from and reasonably priced entrees. Excellent martini-lemon with a hint of ginger. Restaurant was not full but service was slow and food came out even slower.Special Features:
- ConsistenthpstinesDined on 6/15/2014One of the most important attributes of a great restaurant is consistency which is what PL8 continues to provide each and every meal experience. Great food and Great service (thanks Austin, again you make our dining experience amazing)!Special Features:
- Our new favorite Asian placePammy1946Dined on 6/14/2014This has become our new favorite Asian restaurant. It has every kind of Asian for all different palates. Great Sushi and everything else. Service is pretty good, but the place has such a unique interior, I just love it. All reds and black with great taste.Special Features:
- Not as good as past experiencesOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/7/2014Up til now we've had good meals and service at PL8 before, but on this particular night we had neither. The servers were harried and confused, or disengaged. The dishes we've enjoyed in the past were all "off" in one way or another (too greasy, too warm when they should have been served chilled, etc.), and a new dish to us (scallops) was so salty it was inedible. Won't be in a hurry to go back this time.Special Features:
- Excellent Service and FoodhpstinesDined on 6/3/2014I wanted to list the service first since our server was unbelievable! Our server, Austin, was fantastic. He knew all the different dishes, and helped us with all the great plates that are offered at PL8. Our food was excellent and we look forward to going back soon to try the other dishes that their restaurant offers. Thank you for making it a great experience for my Family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loving PL8LovindatenightDined on 5/30/2014Staff is always friendly. Food is fresh, very tasty and beautifully prepared. Mai Tai's to die for!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't linger....KmkdinerDined on 5/16/2014After trying this restaurant 6 weeks ago, I have dined there at least once a week and introduced several friends to the restaurant. Dined there Saturday with a friend. We had a drink, appetizer and dinner and were having a nice conversation when we were approached by a gentleman who told us it was time to go because they had people waiting. There was a table of 6 sitting near us who arrived at about the same time. I didn't see them ask them to leave. The only difference I could see was that there were men and that table and only women at ours. I had Belen's spreading the word that PL8 was a good restaurant, but I will. No longer recommend it based on my experience on 5/16.
- Wonderful Surprise!JanLDined on 5/13/2014Great flavors. Nice size portions. Will definitely go back. Went for lunch, not crowded. Consider this a hidden gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well, it was Mother's Day...idesofmarchstreetDined on 5/11/2014...so we were expecting a zoo, and we got one. Arrived early for a 6:45 p.m. reservation, and were seated on time. Waiting for water, and then for a waiter to notice us was interminable, probably 15 minutes. The waitstaff, food, and management are all impeccable, but they were seriously shorthanded on a busy night. The food itself was great. it was about the fourth time we've been to Pl8, and I'm sure we'll go back. Other visits would have netted a 4-star rating. Sunday night was loud and slow.
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2014The food is good, the service was horrendous! Our waitress was clueless..from the beginning she took our drink order but never brought out the drinks but came back to take our meal order however we were not given menus when seated. She or bus person never refilled drinks unless asked, never cleared one empty dish or glass rather left everything piled up on the edge of the table. It took 45 mins to get our dinner after order was placed. Not once did she come by to see if we needed anything or explain why it was taking so long!! We watched several tables eat and leave and they all had arrived after us. They must have been seated where the server actually knew how to wait tables!
- Great Holiday restaurantDan582Dined on 5/11/2014Went to PL8 for a mothers day dinner at 5pm. The restaurant was only about half full at the time, but soon was packed. Our server gave us great service and the food was fantastic, as usual. Being a holiday service at restaurants is always questionable as they get extremely busy. Well, PL8 is an exception. No matter how busy they are they can not only deliver on the food, but they sure know how to deliver service. Definetly looking forward to my next visit!Special Features:
- The following 294 reviews are from the PL8 Restaurant reviews archive.
- JakeJakeVIPDined on 4/26/2014Love this place. Supper fresh. Portions are great.Special Features:
- foodieVIPDined on 4/20/2014My ratings are from past experiences and I love Pl8, however, when we arrived, the restaurant was closed. I don't know who's at fault, but, there must be a way that Open Plate and restaurants post when they might be closed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Came back for a visitHappyinflaDined on 4/13/2014We moved out of the area 6 months ago and returned for a brief visit. We got together with some friends and thought it would be good to go back to PL8 for dinner. We were not disappointed and the food was consistently good. Our friends had never been to PL8 and were impressed with the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pan AsianSfwportDined on 4/11/2014Lots of ambiance and good energy. Food selection is broad, something for everyone. Sushi was good but many in the party do not like but lots of asian and other selections. Everyone cam away enjoying the experience. Service was very good with the chef coming out inquiring about our thoughts. Three hours went by so fast!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!Out2eatrsDined on 4/4/2014Was quite surprised to find this place as i was unfamiliar with it. Food was delicious. Very comfortable atmosphere, both modern and relaxing. Service was outstanding. Would definitely return and tell friends.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceBucciBergeronDined on 3/28/2014Decided to visited PL8 rather last minute Friday night. There were 6 of us and we were seated at a perfect semi-closed corner table with little stools and an artistic chandelier overhead. Our waiter who's name is escaping me was amazing. We had him select most of our food and he was spot on. Lots of signature rolls and sashimi to start. all fresh, generous and attractive and then on to some asian hot dishes that pleasantly surprised me with their lack of sweet syrupy sauces. We were stuffed and my husband who picked up the tab for the table since it was birthday found the value to be great. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Best Sushi in BarringtonJGBarringtonDined on 3/23/2014This place has the best sushi and other plates. They staff is very nice and friendly. Pl8 is a great place for kids and dates. I recommend Pl8 to all my friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favoriteEdkirkVIPDined on 3/22/2014PL8 has quickly become our favorite restaurant. It's outstanding!Special Features:
- New Favorite!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/19/2014Two visits in less that a week were stellar. It's nice to have the chef come out for a chat and offer to make something special and the staff remember something about your last visit . They knew when to be attentive and not hover. Great job!I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/15/2014I have eaten at PL 8 a few times and took my husband for the first time. He is not a fan of sushi so he was skeptical when I said there was a variety of items on the menu he would like. The food is so fresh and prepared beautifully. The Crab Rangoon "sticks" are delicious and different that the norm. Everything I've tried has been delicious and impressive. The wait staff is friendly and courteous. Definitely will not disappoint.Special Features:
- Pl8OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014Intriguing twist on Asian food. We had calamari with cilantro and chipotle sauce. Loved it. I also had fish sticks with a wasabi tartar sauce that was amazing! Menu ran the gamut. sushi (i don't think anything was raw though.) Fish sticks, normal asian fair...like Kung Pao chicken, orange chicken. Also saw basil chicken. Can't remember all the different things but there was stuff you would expect to see at an Asian restaurant as well as a few items that were new. Prices were very reasonable. Four of us ate. Two appetizers, no drinks for 90 bucks. I will go back.Special Features:
- Very attentive welcome andshellfishDined on 3/14/2014Very attentive welcome and service. Food was very fresh and cooked to perfection. Will definitely return with family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere great foodStephDined on 3/8/2014My husband and I met another couple there and the food was excellent and the wait staff was equally as good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hits the SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/26/2014If you like Asian flair and fare, this little spot is perfect.Special Features:
- The food is always very freshOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/23/2014The food is always very fresh and tasty. Service was also very good. Would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hard to find ... but worth the huntOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/22/2014The on- line map was incorrect, and even though we had been there before we were wondering if we were on the right track! BUT the food was great, and the shrimp bisque and Lychee martini were delicious...Special Features:
- Love it but.....MannyDined on 2/22/2014Great service but the bar tender gave me a brush off. But the rest of our experience was superb for us to ignore the Bar experience! Fantastic food and PL8 is certainly a Neighborhood Gem - a frequent visitorSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!BobbyDined on 2/21/2014The food here is great! It is always very crowded though, and the bar/waiting area is not very big. We had a 7:30 reservation, but did not get seated until around 8:15....They were very nice about it though, and gave us a free dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fresh food!kandmDined on 2/21/2014Enjoyed our Asian inspired cuisine in an energetic friendly environment. Everything is very fresh, from veggies to seafood. Service friendly and well paced. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They have GREAT appetizersLuv2dineDined on 2/15/2014They have GREAT appetizers and their entrees are awesome too. There is a great menu with many choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.