736 W. Northwest Highway
Barrington, IL 60010Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pl8simplyasian.com/
- Phone: (847) 382-1988
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm, Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese, Chinese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call the restaurant directly for any off-site catering inquiries.
A word from PL8 Restaurant
The exciting, new restaurant in Barrington. The yin and yang of food and ambiance creating a whole new trend in Asian cuisine. pl8 offers a fresh, imaginative menu of classic Chinese cuisine side by side with Japanese kitchen creations and sushi. pl8 is where you will find a chic city restaurant located in the suburbs. Where you'll find superd et unpretentious service. A menu that is sweet and savory. Classic dished with a smart twist that are 'simply Asian'. We can't wait for you to experience the best of Asian cuisine coming together on one pl8.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerChinese
PL8 Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Barrington ›
PL8 Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (33)fit for foodies (27)good for groups (18)special occasion (13)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (7)romantic (7)great for outdoor dining (5)vibrant bar scene (5)hot spot (4)notable wine list (3)late-night find (1)Show More
- With a reservation, our group of 8 waited 55 minWaited55minwreservationDined on 11/22/2014The hostess approached our group 1 time, at 50 minutes to advise us that our table was being prepared. We did ask 3 times about our status, nobody working seemed to care about the experience we were having. There is no waiting area, we waited inches away from diners who were eating their dinners. Once we were seated, we enjoyed excellent food and service.
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/22/2014The experience at PL8 (first timing dining there) did not start off well at all. We were there to celebrate our anniversary - after receiving a strong recommendation from friends. Even though we had a reservation, we still waited nearly an hour for our table. But that's when things got progressively better. The service (our server was Austin) worked very hard to win us over and provided pleasant, friendly and efficient service. And then there was the food - simply amazing! Would highly recommend them! And yes, we will be be back - thanks to Austin and the awesome food experience. P.S. - We even spoke briefly at our table with the owner (Sean) - who was very pleasant and is very proud of his masterpiece! And well he should be!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerChallDined on 11/21/2014Must do for sushi for lunch and dinner in the barrington area. Good sake selection as well as cocktails made to order. I think the black mamba, crunchy Lobster roll, Red dragon and barrington hills sashimi are the perfect dinne for 2 IF YOUR HUNGRY. Staff is friendly and service is good. Sometimes a little off depending on server but never a real issue ever. There are stir frys and other dinners abailable too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at pl82ofusatpl8Dined on 11/14/2014PL8 is very dependable with no surprises and a great value for the buck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LeslieVIPDined on 11/7/2014This has always been one of our favorite restaurants but it really missed the culinary mark this time. Two of our four dinner entrees came to the table barely warm and needed to be returned. The Basil Garlic Chicken, usually served in a flavorful sauce, was minimally coated in what could only be described and an overcooked/granular coating. The chicken appeared to have been overly marinated yielding improper texture, and taste. It tasted more like a wide flat noodle than white meat chicken. Service was slow and required the solicitation of other staff to keep our waters and drinks filled. Not sure what happened this evening but I am hoping that it was a fluke and is the exception to our past wonderful experiences.
- Nice atmosphereMaugustDined on 10/17/2014finally restaurant where they are going to in the Northwest suburbs. Atmosphere is nice service was good lights could be dimned slightly the LED lights for a little bright. California rolls were good huge pieces almost too big to fit in your mouth.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014Wen at the suggestion of a colleague and found a varied menu, great food, great experience and service. Wait staff was good with suggestions and asking preferences and allergies Will be back!!Special Features:
- not that specialLZfoodieDined on 10/11/2014We had heard good thing's about this restaurant so decided to check it out. However, we weren't very impressed. The menu items sounded great but didn't deliver on flavor. The hot and sour soup was bland and appetizer of spicy tuna on tortilla crisps was a huge disappointment. We tried two different maki sushi rolls that were just ok. The entrée we split was named seven flavored chicken. In the description, or the waitress should have mentioned, chicken was coated and fried chicken. I would have never ordered this item if I had known that. Overall, we didn't think that the meal was anything that would bring us back to the restaurant again.
- Nice surpriseMrsdanjonesDined on 9/23/2014Nice local place with tasty Asian cuisine. The service was prompt. The beer list was a nice surprise as well as the sake selection. We will recommend to friends and we will eat here again.Special Features:
- always a good eveningHighTechDined on 9/20/2014I always have a good evening at PL 8. Great apps, good drinks & beer selection, and outstanding food. Service was awesome too...didn't hover, kept us comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Wide Rice NoodlesMusky480VIPDined on 9/10/2014Order the wide rice noodles with chicken or beef. Stay away from the shrimp. Edamame are good too.I would recommend this to a friend.
- PatPatEDined on 9/6/2014A group of six of us went to PL8 for dinner and shared our meals. Had a lazy Susan in the middle of the table to accommodate sharing. The food was very tasty. Sushi came with adequate amounts of ginger and wasabi. Had a very positive experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinerDDined on 8/31/2014We started with a sushi appetizer which was perfect in taste and temperature. The 7 flavor chicken was tender and tasty. The dry stir fried beef was my favorite. It was as tensor as a filet. The Pad Thai noodles were good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On a Whim we found this RestaurantEatablesDined on 8/30/2014Wanted Sushi plus something for those not liking seafood or sushi so much. This restaurant has a great variety of Asian cuisine. Sushi was modern style and flavors delightful. Service was also a delight. We sat outside so can't speak to noise level inside, but interior looked aesthetic and not run of the mill. Reasonably priced and encourages trying/sharing several dishes. Looking forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findMick3662Dined on 8/30/2014Tucked away in a strip mall, this is a hidden gem. Had sushi that was very fresh, recommend given it a try if you in the area.Special Features:
- LeslieVIPDined on 8/26/2014PL8 is truly a hidden gem in the suburbs. PL8 consistently offers wonderful food with unique twists on traditional Asian plates. Their hot and sour soup is the best in the Chicago area and their signature cocktails knock it out of the park. Enjoy a great lunch or dinner with the best service and staff around!Special Features:
- OtisDined on 8/22/2014A great place for drinks, food, and friends! Got together with the girls to celebrate my sister's Birthday, and she was still talking about what a great time she had at PL8. The service was impeccable, I stood up to locate the restrooms and a staff member noticed me straight away and assisted. The Asian Fusion of Chinese and Japanese food is worth trying, I would recommend the Crab Rangoon Chop Sticks to start, out of this world! If you like Martini’s, you have got to try the PL8 Pear Martini. Can’t wait to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LindaDined on 8/15/2014Love the location, great with group or for two. Food is outstanding, and bar is awesome. Even when they are packed, service is friendly and awesome.Special Features:
- Good But PriceyJbirdDined on 8/1/2014Good food that costs too much. The place is nice and the service is good but the same quality food can be had at a much lower price elsewhere.Special Features:
- The following 310 reviews are from the PL8 Restaurant reviews archive.
- We'll be back!grwtrDined on 6/27/2014This was our first visit to PL8. Read about it in a local magazine awhile back and decided to make a reservation for our daughters 19th birthday. She LOVES sushi, but I'm not a huge fan so we wanted an Asian restaurant that offered both, which PL8 does. The food presentation was awesome, the portions very generous. I had a scrimp with asparagus dish and it was fantastic! All of us were extremely pleased with our entrees. To top if off, our waitress brought my daughter four banana chocolate dessert wontons accompanied by a small scoop of ice cream with candle for her birthday. PERFECT! Thanks PL8 for making our day special.Special Features:
- Elegant and affordablePolishHamDined on 6/25/2014The feel of an upscale restaurant without the heavy price tag.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2014So happy we found! Everything was excellent! Very friendly service and terrific food. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty!GlobalgourmetDined on 6/20/2014I am never disappointed when I eat here. The food is tasty and portion size is average. If you are really hungry I would suggest soup or some appetizers. We tried the tempura and it was very good. The prices are very fair.Special Features:
- Extensive Menu-not just sushiPaulaDined on 6/15/2014Very extensive menu with lots of choices beside Sushi. Lots of appetizers to choose from and reasonably priced entrees. Excellent martini-lemon with a hint of ginger. Restaurant was not full but service was slow and food came out even slower.Special Features:
- ConsistenthpstinesDined on 6/15/2014One of the most important attributes of a great restaurant is consistency which is what PL8 continues to provide each and every meal experience. Great food and Great service (thanks Austin, again you make our dining experience amazing)!Special Features:
- Our new favorite Asian placePammy1946Dined on 6/14/2014This has become our new favorite Asian restaurant. It has every kind of Asian for all different palates. Great Sushi and everything else. Service is pretty good, but the place has such a unique interior, I just love it. All reds and black with great taste.Special Features:
- Not as good as past experiencesOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/7/2014Up til now we've had good meals and service at PL8 before, but on this particular night we had neither. The servers were harried and confused, or disengaged. The dishes we've enjoyed in the past were all "off" in one way or another (too greasy, too warm when they should have been served chilled, etc.), and a new dish to us (scallops) was so salty it was inedible. Won't be in a hurry to go back this time.Special Features:
- Excellent Service and FoodhpstinesDined on 6/3/2014I wanted to list the service first since our server was unbelievable! Our server, Austin, was fantastic. He knew all the different dishes, and helped us with all the great plates that are offered at PL8. Our food was excellent and we look forward to going back soon to try the other dishes that their restaurant offers. Thank you for making it a great experience for my Family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loving PL8LovindatenightDined on 5/30/2014Staff is always friendly. Food is fresh, very tasty and beautifully prepared. Mai Tai's to die for!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't linger....KmkdinerDined on 5/16/2014After trying this restaurant 6 weeks ago, I have dined there at least once a week and introduced several friends to the restaurant. Dined there Saturday with a friend. We had a drink, appetizer and dinner and were having a nice conversation when we were approached by a gentleman who told us it was time to go because they had people waiting. There was a table of 6 sitting near us who arrived at about the same time. I didn't see them ask them to leave. The only difference I could see was that there were men and that table and only women at ours. I had Belen's spreading the word that PL8 was a good restaurant, but I will. No longer recommend it based on my experience on 5/16.
- Wonderful Surprise!JanLDined on 5/13/2014Great flavors. Nice size portions. Will definitely go back. Went for lunch, not crowded. Consider this a hidden gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well, it was Mother's Day...idesofmarchstreetDined on 5/11/2014...so we were expecting a zoo, and we got one. Arrived early for a 6:45 p.m. reservation, and were seated on time. Waiting for water, and then for a waiter to notice us was interminable, probably 15 minutes. The waitstaff, food, and management are all impeccable, but they were seriously shorthanded on a busy night. The food itself was great. it was about the fourth time we've been to Pl8, and I'm sure we'll go back. Other visits would have netted a 4-star rating. Sunday night was loud and slow.
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2014The food is good, the service was horrendous! Our waitress was clueless..from the beginning she took our drink order but never brought out the drinks but came back to take our meal order however we were not given menus when seated. She or bus person never refilled drinks unless asked, never cleared one empty dish or glass rather left everything piled up on the edge of the table. It took 45 mins to get our dinner after order was placed. Not once did she come by to see if we needed anything or explain why it was taking so long!! We watched several tables eat and leave and they all had arrived after us. They must have been seated where the server actually knew how to wait tables!
- Great Holiday restaurantDan582Dined on 5/11/2014Went to PL8 for a mothers day dinner at 5pm. The restaurant was only about half full at the time, but soon was packed. Our server gave us great service and the food was fantastic, as usual. Being a holiday service at restaurants is always questionable as they get extremely busy. Well, PL8 is an exception. No matter how busy they are they can not only deliver on the food, but they sure know how to deliver service. Definetly looking forward to my next visit!Special Features:
- JakeJakeVIPDined on 4/26/2014Love this place. Supper fresh. Portions are great.Special Features:
- foodieVIPDined on 4/20/2014My ratings are from past experiences and I love Pl8, however, when we arrived, the restaurant was closed. I don't know who's at fault, but, there must be a way that Open Plate and restaurants post when they might be closed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Came back for a visitHappyinflaDined on 4/13/2014We moved out of the area 6 months ago and returned for a brief visit. We got together with some friends and thought it would be good to go back to PL8 for dinner. We were not disappointed and the food was consistently good. Our friends had never been to PL8 and were impressed with the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pan AsianSfwportDined on 4/11/2014Lots of ambiance and good energy. Food selection is broad, something for everyone. Sushi was good but many in the party do not like but lots of asian and other selections. Everyone cam away enjoying the experience. Service was very good with the chef coming out inquiring about our thoughts. Three hours went by so fast!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!Out2eatrsDined on 4/4/2014Was quite surprised to find this place as i was unfamiliar with it. Food was delicious. Very comfortable atmosphere, both modern and relaxing. Service was outstanding. Would definitely return and tell friends.Special Features:
- yumoryuckDined on 3/29/2014pl8 = Delicious meals, creative decor. Although busy we have shown up on Saturday nights and be quickly seated. Wonderful blended spices and sauces. Our friends who are Sushi enthusiasts were on a foodie cloud! Even has pick up!Special Features: