P.J. Clarke's DC
1600 K Street, NW
Washington, DC 20006Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
P.J. Clarke's DC
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pjclarkes.com/
- Phone: (202) 463-6610
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from P.J. Clarke's DC
K Street, the road to the White House, is also the proud home to P.J. Clarke’s—the storied American Saloon with a history that dates back to the late 1800s. The original P.J. Clarke’s in Manhattan has stood beneath rows of skyscrapers for nearly 130 years, collecting famous and infamous regulars. Appreciated for the convivial ambiance and classic fare, P.J. Clarke’s is the quintessential American Saloon. In our nation’s capitol, the story continues as oak and mosaic floors, red leather banquets and walls lined with eccentric portraits and nostalgic photos contribute to a reassuring familiarity that is classic P.J.s, but also construe a distinct Washington sensibility. Seasoned bartenders make favorite classic cocktails the right way; dexterous shuckers ply the freshest shellfish at a marble topped Raw Bar; and the old-school, convivial dining room welcomes government A-listers, students and their families and visitors to our capitol.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
P.J. Clarke's DC reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (32)good for groups (23)great for outdoor dining (19)fit for foodies (18)great for brunch (13)neighborhood gem (13)vibrant bar scene (12)hot spot (9)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (6)romantic (4)special occasion (3)notable wine list (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great Food, Great ServiceLoveFoodnSleepDined on 11/20/2014This was my first visit to PJ Clarke's. I will definitely be back. The food was great, and was matched by very attentive service. Ambiance was nice. Tables were a bit close together, but the noise level was such that no one was overhearing others' conversations. At least not in a meaningful way. Overall, very enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very overpricedDonQuijoteDined on 11/4/2014I went there for lunch. Portions were ridiculously small and the price ridiculously high. The rest is nice.
- It's okAmandadeeeDined on 11/2/2014I went because I had a gilt city voucher. The service was ok, I could tell my server Sara was doing her best and the problems stemmed from the kitchen. I enjoyed my food companion not so much. I doubt I'd go there again thoughSpecial Features:
- Love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014Fantastic burgers and oysters. Great neighborhood bar feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- serviceKateVIPDined on 10/28/2014There were numerous servers coming to the table but little communication between, among them so you could be asked the same question three, four times. Great to have a number of people available to help but it would be good if they could communicate.Special Features:
- Very good for meatFausto65Dined on 10/26/2014I have been for a dinner during my last business trip in DC. I was alone and had my dinner at the bar. The bartender was very friendly and professional and the food was good. I'll go again when in DC.Special Features:
- Uneven at best...FreddytVIPDined on 10/22/2014This is a basic expense account pub with food that can vary from "okay" to "awful." For best results, stick to the basics, namely burgers. Any deviations from this invites trouble. On a recent visit I ordered the Fish and Chips. Bad idea. The fish was not identified and bony, and was served in a ridiculously thick, soggy crust -- a consequence of cooking oil that hadn't attained a proper frying temperature. It was inedible. I ate a few bites and asked for the check. Happily, the server took the item of the bill. My advice? In pleasant weather, enjoy a cocktail in the restaurant's outdoor space and move elsewhere for dinner.
- Great bar mediocre foodMINKSCVIPDined on 10/21/2014Excellent service at the bar. Great place to watch sports. Food was okSpecial Features:
- Date DayBigDaddyandMamaBearDined on 10/19/2014Nice restaurant with a great and attentive staff. The food came out quickly and tasted great. Thinking about going back to try the happy hour now!Special Features:
- noisy and mediocreEatoutoftenVIPDined on 10/17/2014Service very mediocre. Drinks came after entrees. Entrees not worth mentioning - just went for lunch. Tuna burger was ice cold. Maybe would have sent it back, but server never showed. Inside was so noisy that it was not "energetic" just distracting. I wouldn't return. Not worth it for a $16 burger.
- Fun BrunchFunFoodieVIPDined on 10/12/2014Had a great brunch here on Sunday. At first I felt like the menu was lacking in choices but upon second glance there was plenty to choose from. My omelet was WONDERFUL - seriously, one of the best omelets I've ever had. Our waitress was wonderful and we really enjoyed the fun atmosphere. My friend had the french toast and was very pleased.Special Features:
- tasteless foodThecriticDined on 10/1/2014I can't believe I had to go home and re season my meal order to eat it. The grits were ice cold and the chef apologized because he forgot the salt! My guest fish was so overcooked that it couldn't be cut with a knife.
- Good for late diningFormerFedVIPDined on 9/19/2014We thought P.J.Clarke's was an appropriate locale for dinner after hearing the showrunner for "Scandal" at the Smithsonian. I got the deviled eggs and hamburger au poivre. She had the short ribs spring rolls and a steak special recommended by the friendly waitress. Everything was tasty. Attentive service was provided by several folk, including one server who remembered us from earlier visits and got the hot sauce my girlfriend likes for her. With a number of drinks, the final bill was $181.12 before tip. We look forward to returning to P.J.Clarke's after other Smithsonian or Kennedy Center eventsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DebraDined on 9/19/2014We were dining as a family party of 6 for dinner. This restaurant is very good and quite affordable for downtown DC. It is close to the White House, so works well for evening dinner and then strolling around the sites. It is a little noisy for talking over your meal, so that's why I rated ambiance a 4. But I would definitely go there again because it is close to landmarks, has great food and great service. All at a reasonable price.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service, cold foodWayneDined on 9/18/2014Daily special crispy mac and cheese was cold on the inside- waitress indifferent.
- STEVE'S BIRTHDAY LUNCHclosetoworkDined on 9/17/2014The service and food were very good....a very interesting menu; however, I literally couldn't hear the person across the table speaking due to the noise level--it was lunch time and even though every table was not occupied, it was incredibly noisy. I wondered what it must be when it's completely packed?Special Features:
- FantasticPickyme4eatsDined on 9/15/2014Our business meeting was downstairs in the side car section. It was perfect for our small group. The ambiance is wonderful. The staff is truly amazing and they work very hard. Staff members were friendly, professional, and hard working. They took care of everything and made our group very comfortable. The food is good. The staff and ambiance is outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite!KJA205VIPDined on 9/12/2014I love everything about P.J. Clarke's and the staff is wonderful!Special Features:
- Good food, good serviceTomSVIPDined on 9/7/2014The chili steak was fantastic. The burger & fries were really good and prices were reasonable.
- Nice SpotKeithNBeccaDined on 9/6/2014Drove by a few times and decided to stop. Enjoyable atmosphere with pretty good food. Servings were a little small for the price but, what can I say? It is DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mostly good reviews on the food1stimerVIPDined on 9/2/2014This was about my fifth visit to P.J. Clarke's, taking a group of business colleagues for an early dinner. Given the restaurant was nearly empty, the noise level was amazingly high -- to the point it was difficult to hear the table conversation. The chicken pot pie, shrimp and grits, and salmon entrees got thumbs-up, but my K Street Jumbo Shrimp Chopped Salad could at best be described as bland, and was devoid of any detectable flavor or seasoning. Service, as before, was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but priceyMeanMachineDined on 9/2/2014Salad and Soup almost $20....i enjoy the place, but a little pricey.Special Features:
- DisappointmentallemanVIPDined on 9/1/2014Compared to earlier visits it was a great disappointment. The breading of my pan-fried flounder was burned to black; to eat the fish I had to remove the breading. Cleverly the kitchen staff had covered the black breading with vegetables so I did not see the dilemma at once. After my complaint to the manager he apologised and offered some free drinks now or at a future visit. I would have expected that he reduces the bill? The nice patio was not ready for use after a rain shower and nobody was working on the removal of the water on the chairs?? Next time, in case ther is a next time, I will have a closer look what is served on the plate!!!
- Not for breakfast, if at allninaw041Dined on 8/31/2014Our concierge at the St. Regis recommended this establishment for breakfast / brunch on a Sunday morning. 2 out of the 3 meals were practically inedible and the third was palatable, but nothing special. The "buttered home fries" were cold cubes of potatoes with an exorbitant amount of caramelized onions over them (not in the item description) and my 17 dollar sandwich contained processed cheese. The benedict didn't hit the mark on any of its elements. The salmon scramble was the only dish that didn't prompt any major complaints. Our server seemed to avoid our table for fear of feedback on the food. After spending over 75 dollars on breakfast that was less enjoyable than the starbucks sandwiches the day before, I wouldn't recommend it.
- Accommodating- exceptional servicetschmidliDined on 8/27/2014The word's "We'll make it work" were music to my ears when I realized I'd left home without a few necessary items. What a great attitude! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, fun placeMikeVIPDined on 8/26/2014Food and service are good. An enjoyable place to entertain guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not as good as usualpalmfanVIPDined on 8/12/2014Been here many times and have come to expect basic food well prepared and reasonable quantities. Not so this time. Not too crowded even though restaurant week. Cobb Salad was big disappointment. Chicken filets were DRY and felt/tasted like they were a few days leftover. My friend was happy with his burger though. And the key lime pie and whatever it was they put on top were ------ meh. I'll give it another chance though.
- Might be good for happy hourLucyfurVIPDined on 8/12/2014The food was mediocre and the server was way too familiar with us as she tried to be cute. I do not enjoy being called " mama" in front if my staff.
- amazing food experienceshebabugVIPDined on 8/11/2014initially chose to venture in for restaurant week, but upon perusing the menu ordered daily special and one of the items their famous for, shrimp and grits. having never heard of pj's before was totally unaware of a washingtonian magazine write up on shrimp and grits, that the waiter shared with us, but it was outstanding. also ordered the special of the day which was scallops on a bed of lobster risotto, which i can not rave enough about. usually not a scallop fan, these were seared perfectly with a balsamic drizzle, oh how unforgettably delicious they were. dessert moved us further into heaven with house made bread pudding and the most decadent cinnamon ice cream ever. absolutely recommend pj's 100 times over and definitely will be back.Special Features:
- PTJPTJVIPDined on 8/1/2014The food here is fine, not superb or even great but good. I had generously portioned chicken pot pie and a side of creamed spinach, the latter of which I took home. Service was very attentive and the waitress stopped me from ordering an appetizer when she realized I had ordered the pie and the spinach because she knew how big the pie was. I appreciated that.I would recommend this to a friend.
- QuickDP2014Dined on 7/31/2014Food was good but very typical. Salads, burgers, fries, chips, cole slaw etc. Food came out very quickly from ordering and drinks were filled frequently.Special Features:
- outdoor delishOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/31/2014enjoy an outdoor lunch meeting in DC, plenty of options for anyoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 474 reviews are from the P.J. Clarke's DC reviews archive.
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/29/2014We had a special diet and they were very accommodatingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed hearty dinnerPhDdinerDined on 7/9/2014Excellent kale salad and lasagna. Nice old chop house atmosphere.
- First visit last visitBasilicataVIPDined on 7/3/2014Even though the restaurant comped the fish tacos and the old fashioned, we would not go back due to the prices and overall dissatisfaction with the food quality. The fish tacos had no flavor and the woodford reserve old fashioned (albeit nothing wrong with woodford reserve) needs to follow a more traditional recipe as the drink reminded me of sangria. The pot pie was good and the greens on the short rib were terrific but these items were not enough for us to go back. Heard from a nearby restaurant that PJ Clark's is known for their burgers. Wish I would have known that before I spent over $100 and left hungry.Special Features:
- Server was greatDiverdadDined on 7/3/2014The 4 of us went to celebrate a birthday. The server picked up on this and kept that theme going. The food was served hot and all enjoyed their choices. The fudge brownie ala mode was excellent.Special Features:
- great shrimp and gritshowyalikethemapplesVIPDined on 6/23/2014nice outdoor patio, friendly service and everyone enjoyed thier meals -- a nice surprise and a good find.Special Features:
- Stuck in the 80'sFoggyBtmDined on 6/2/2014The food is suck in the 80's, a 14oz NY Strip steak cooked OK on a plate with nothing else at $44. Sides $8, Salad $12. Take your money and head to a spot that has entered the current decade in the food world!
- Great diningLovemesomefood33VIPDined on 5/29/2014My favorite go to location for great foods for a reasonable price Nice crowd and good fast service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun SpotWizFanVIPDined on 5/29/2014The design and atmosphere are lively. Loud, not a place for intimate conversation. Feels like an NYC spot. We had the Glazed Beef Short Rib with M&C Squares, which was filling and very flavorful. I recommend it. We split an apple cake which was huge and sinful. We couldn't finish it. You can come casual. A mix of tourists and business types. I enjoyed it. A good place for atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.