P.J. Clarke's DC
1600 K Street, NW
Washington, DC 20006Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
P.J. Clarke's DC
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pjclarkes.com/
- Phone: 2024636610
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from P.J. Clarke's DC
K Street, the road to the White House, is also the proud home to P.J. Clarke’s—the storied American Saloon with a history that dates back to the late 1800s. The original P.J. Clarke’s in Manhattan has stood beneath rows of skyscrapers for nearly 130 years, collecting famous and infamous regulars. Appreciated for the convivial ambiance and classic fare, P.J. Clarke’s is the quintessential American Saloon. In our nation’s capitol, the story continues as oak and mosaic floors, red leather banquets and walls lined with eccentric portraits and nostalgic photos contribute to a reassuring familiarity that is classic P.J.s, but also construe a distinct Washington sensibility. Seasoned bartenders make favorite classic cocktails the right way; dexterous shuckers ply the freshest shellfish at a marble topped Raw Bar; and the old-school, convivial dining room welcomes government A-listers, students and their families and visitors to our capitol.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
P.J. Clarke's DC reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (21)great for outdoor dining (20)good for groups (13)neighborhood gem (10)kid-friendly (8)fit for foodies (8)great for brunch (8)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (6)special occasion (4)romantic (3)late-night find (3)scenic view (3)notable wine list (3)Show More
- My Favorite!KJA205VIPDined on 9/12/2014I love everything about P.J. Clarke's and the staff is wonderful!Special Features:
- Good food, good serviceTomSVIPDined on 9/7/2014The chili steak was fantastic. The burger & fries were really good and prices were reasonable.
- Nice SpotKeithNBeccaDined on 9/6/2014Drove by a few times and decided to stop. Enjoyable atmosphere with pretty good food. Servings were a little small for the price but, what can I say? It is DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mostly good reviews on the food1stimerVIPDined on 9/2/2014This was about my fifth visit to P.J. Clarke's, taking a group of business colleagues for an early dinner. Given the restaurant was nearly empty, the noise level was amazingly high -- to the point it was difficult to hear the table conversation. The chicken pot pie, shrimp and grits, and salmon entrees got thumbs-up, but my K Street Jumbo Shrimp Chopped Salad could at best be described as bland, and was devoid of any detectable flavor or seasoning. Service, as before, was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but priceyMeanMachineDined on 9/2/2014Salad and Soup almost $20....i enjoy the place, but a little pricey.Special Features:
- DisappointmentallemanVIPDined on 9/1/2014Compared to earlier visits it was a great disappointment. The breading of my pan-fried flounder was burned to black; to eat the fish I had to remove the breading. Cleverly the kitchen staff had covered the black breading with vegetables so I did not see the dilemma at once. After my complaint to the manager he apologised and offered some free drinks now or at a future visit. I would have expected that he reduces the bill? The nice patio was not ready for use after a rain shower and nobody was working on the removal of the water on the chairs?? Next time, in case ther is a next time, I will have a closer look what is served on the plate!!!
- Not for breakfast, if at allninaw041Dined on 8/31/2014Our concierge at the St. Regis recommended this establishment for breakfast / brunch on a Sunday morning. 2 out of the 3 meals were practically inedible and the third was palatable, but nothing special. The "buttered home fries" were cold cubes of potatoes with an exorbitant amount of caramelized onions over them (not in the item description) and my 17 dollar sandwich contained processed cheese. The benedict didn't hit the mark on any of its elements. The salmon scramble was the only dish that didn't prompt any major complaints. Our server seemed to avoid our table for fear of feedback on the food. After spending over 75 dollars on breakfast that was less enjoyable than the starbucks sandwiches the day before, I wouldn't recommend it.
- Accommodating- exceptional servicetschmidliDined on 8/27/2014The word's "We'll make it work" were music to my ears when I realized I'd left home without a few necessary items. What a great attitude! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, fun placeMikeVIPDined on 8/26/2014Food and service are good. An enjoyable place to entertain guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not as good as usualpalmfanVIPDined on 8/12/2014Been here many times and have come to expect basic food well prepared and reasonable quantities. Not so this time. Not too crowded even though restaurant week. Cobb Salad was big disappointment. Chicken filets were DRY and felt/tasted like they were a few days leftover. My friend was happy with his burger though. And the key lime pie and whatever it was they put on top were ------ meh. I'll give it another chance though.
- Might be good for happy hourLucyfurVIPDined on 8/12/2014The food was mediocre and the server was way too familiar with us as she tried to be cute. I do not enjoy being called " mama" in front if my staff.
- amazing food experienceshebabugVIPDined on 8/11/2014initially chose to venture in for restaurant week, but upon perusing the menu ordered daily special and one of the items their famous for, shrimp and grits. having never heard of pj's before was totally unaware of a washingtonian magazine write up on shrimp and grits, that the waiter shared with us, but it was outstanding. also ordered the special of the day which was scallops on a bed of lobster risotto, which i can not rave enough about. usually not a scallop fan, these were seared perfectly with a balsamic drizzle, oh how unforgettably delicious they were. dessert moved us further into heaven with house made bread pudding and the most decadent cinnamon ice cream ever. absolutely recommend pj's 100 times over and definitely will be back.Special Features:
- PTJPTJVIPDined on 8/1/2014The food here is fine, not superb or even great but good. I had generously portioned chicken pot pie and a side of creamed spinach, the latter of which I took home. Service was very attentive and the waitress stopped me from ordering an appetizer when she realized I had ordered the pie and the spinach because she knew how big the pie was. I appreciated that.I would recommend this to a friend.
- QuickDP2014Dined on 7/31/2014Food was good but very typical. Salads, burgers, fries, chips, cole slaw etc. Food came out very quickly from ordering and drinks were filled frequently.Special Features:
- outdoor delishOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/31/2014enjoy an outdoor lunch meeting in DC, plenty of options for anyoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/29/2014We had a special diet and they were very accommodatingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed hearty dinnerPhDdinerDined on 7/9/2014Excellent kale salad and lasagna. Nice old chop house atmosphere.
- First visit last visitBasilicataVIPDined on 7/3/2014Even though the restaurant comped the fish tacos and the old fashioned, we would not go back due to the prices and overall dissatisfaction with the food quality. The fish tacos had no flavor and the woodford reserve old fashioned (albeit nothing wrong with woodford reserve) needs to follow a more traditional recipe as the drink reminded me of sangria. The pot pie was good and the greens on the short rib were terrific but these items were not enough for us to go back. Heard from a nearby restaurant that PJ Clark's is known for their burgers. Wish I would have known that before I spent over $100 and left hungry.Special Features:
- Server was greatDiverdadDined on 7/3/2014The 4 of us went to celebrate a birthday. The server picked up on this and kept that theme going. The food was served hot and all enjoyed their choices. The fudge brownie ala mode was excellent.Special Features:
- great shrimp and gritshowyalikethemapplesDined on 6/23/2014nice outdoor patio, friendly service and everyone enjoyed thier meals -- a nice surprise and a good find.Special Features:
- Stuck in the 80'sFoggyBtmDined on 6/2/2014The food is suck in the 80's, a 14oz NY Strip steak cooked OK on a plate with nothing else at $44. Sides $8, Salad $12. Take your money and head to a spot that has entered the current decade in the food world!
- Great diningLovemesomefood33VIPDined on 5/29/2014My favorite go to location for great foods for a reasonable price Nice crowd and good fast service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun SpotWizFanVIPDined on 5/29/2014The design and atmosphere are lively. Loud, not a place for intimate conversation. Feels like an NYC spot. We had the Glazed Beef Short Rib with M&C Squares, which was filling and very flavorful. I recommend it. We split an apple cake which was huge and sinful. We couldn't finish it. You can come casual. A mix of tourists and business types. I enjoyed it. A good place for atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tatergirlVIPDined on 5/23/2014Food was good. Service was very good. Both the onion soup and ahi tuna sandwich were quite tasty.
- Disappointing; poor valueOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/20/2014For $18, I expect a well-crafted burger. Mine was small, overcooked, and lacked flavor. The $4 for iced tea and $3.50 for a cup of regular coffee also seemed high for a casual lunch spot. I will not return.Special Features:
- The following 464 reviews are from the P.J. Clarke's DC reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/16/2014Based on Recommendations I was expecting something better even though food was ok.Special Features:
- Noisy but niceFormerFedVIPDined on 5/8/2014Dropped in after a lecture on DC beer at the Smithsonian. Ate outside, which let us view the vehicle traffic along 16th and K Streets and the foot traffic on the sidewalks. I had the deviled eggs and Hamburger Au Poivre. Both were tasty. My girlfriend started with the short rib spring rolls, which needed more flavoring but were improved by the horseradish sauce. Her flat iron steak salad was good, with more meat than she expected. We ended with the chocolate-walnut brownie, which was delicious. With many drinks during and after the meal and a generous tip, our bill came to $250. We look forward to returning to P.J.Clarke's for dinner after future plays and lectures.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Location with Perfect EatsHamptonDined on 5/6/2014Food is always good, great variety on the menu, vibrant atmosphere and always perfect for a table of friends. I enjoy business and pleasure outside. Location is convenient, everyone knows where it is. Evenings are great. If you're not up at Dupont then CJC's is a great choice. Can't complain. It's always just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Inconsistent ServiceDCDinerVIPDined on 5/6/2014P.J. Clarke's is close to my office so we go there fairly often for work lunches or happy hours. The food is great - gourmet pub food. It is also more relaxed than other nearby restaurants, and Sidecar is great for drinks. The service is iffy, though. It's often super slow and unfriendly. When I ate there this week for a work lunch, no one came by for 15 minutes after the last person arrived. We had to flag a host to find our waiter, who didn't show for another 5 minutes. When we needed something, WE had to find the server-he never checked in. Another time, I ordered dinner for delivery. They were out of what I ordered-which I only learned when I called, wondering where dinner was, 75 minutes later. I didn't get dinner for two hours.Special Features:
- DisappointedlunchieVIPDined on 4/30/2014I had reservations through Open Table for four at 7:00 PM. Due to my customer's change in scheduling i called the restaurant 24 hours prior to my reservation day/time to change the reservation time to 6:00 pm. The hostess answering the phone said it would be no proble and changed the reservation. When we arrived at 5:55 pm i was told they had my 6:00 pm reservation but it would be a few minutes to seat us. After checking 3 times on the status of our table, we were finally seated at 7:05 pm. My customers and i had to hurry through dinner so they could meet their time requirements and as such it was a rather unpleasent meal. i likely will not return to PJ Clarke's......
- Seriously good hamburgerMargaretVIPDined on 4/30/2014Before my lunch at PJ Clarke's, I would have said a hamburger is a hamburger. But no, they have seriously good burgers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dwgreeneDined on 4/26/2014I really enjoyed the food here - the oyster appetizer and mac and cheese side were great. I had the crab cake sandwich which I recommend. We were a big group looking for something more relaxed, but with good food, after a day of sightseeing, and this fit the bit well.Special Features:
- Good Food, Great ServiceRickVIPDined on 4/18/2014This was a first time for us at PJ Clarks. We ate early, ahead of a theater date. Our waiter was friendly, knowledgeable, and made recommendations. He did not offer the price for the Market Price items, mac with lobster and the lobster roll. I had the French Dip, my date the Dish and Chips. Both sandwiches were served promptly, warm and generous. Lots of families and walk-ins. It was Spring Break week. Almost all of the deserts had nuts in them. Made it easy to pass them up for us.Special Features:
- nothing special....DinoVIPDined on 4/17/2014If you are looking tibeat an overpriced burger or oysters with a friend you really don't wan to talk to then thus is your place. Extremely loud. Best thing I can say? Frues were good.....Special Features:
- Great Service - Price Out of LineObservantGuestDined on 4/16/2014If you're going to charge $17.99 for a burger and fries, it should be better than McDonalds. When I saw the burger delivered, I was wondering if they ran to the nearest fast food joint and brought back a quarter pounder. Service was great, the room is reasonably nice. But really - $17.99 for a burger that's worthy of a drive through?
- RobinEpicureVIPDined on 4/10/2014The best Hostess!!! Again and again she surpasses herself in welcoming us warmly and trying to accommodate us.. The whole staff, in general, are very friendly, polite and helpful. Great restaurant.Special Features:
- TheiseyDined on 4/6/2014Their 'signature' burger was a joke, for $19. They seemed confused on table availability in an open room, and then forgot about me.
- Overall a good dining experienceDinerDined on 4/5/2014The food and service were good, but the atmosphere was a lot more casual than I was expecting. They also have too many tables crammed into small spaces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pub+ food at trendy prices - but OKNEMonDined on 3/30/2014Loud room, but you can converse. Very busy and lot's of activity so a tedious business meal seems much less so. Food is not the main event! Small portions. A very tiny hamburger for $17! However it was very nicely cooked and tasty. Desserts were the bomb. Overall I'd say it was food prep somewhat better than what I'd call pub food, with prices well above pub prices.Special Features:
- Disappointing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/25/2014The food has taken the backseat, I am afraid. Very little shrimp in the shrimp salad. Bland short-rib rolls. Deviled eggs with no devil.Special Features: