Pizzeria Mozza - San Diego
789 W. Harbor Dr, Suite 110
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Pizzeria Mozza - San Diego
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://pizzeriamozza.com/
- Phone: 6193764353x
- Hours of Operation:
Open daily from 11AM-10PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: John Stenbakken
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Please email our Event Coordinator at email@example.com for more information.
A word from Pizzeria Mozza - San Diego
Pizzeria Mozza is a bustling, urban burst of flavor and color. It's the perfect setting for a business lunch or late night snack. The wine bar provides a vibrant venue for sampling from a selection of Italian wines, but don't forget about the ample offering of salumi and pizza.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pizzeria Mozza - San Diego reviews from OpenTable diners
159 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (88)great for outdoor dining (85)great for lunch (51)neighborhood gem (42)good for groups (39)kid-friendly (31)special occasion (22)notable wine list (22)hot spot (19)romantic (8)late-night find (8)great for brunch (5)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- RushedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014Very few people there, no AC so seated outside on very warm night, waitress spoke rapidly, pushed additional drinks and food, everything hurry-hurry, not enjoyable. Will not return. Food is good but not great.
- Nice RestaurantjlbarandaDined on 9/14/2014The restaurant is very nice, the food and drinks were very good. A little pricey though.Special Features:
- Going Downhill QuickBrucitoDined on 9/13/2014I have eaten at the one in Newport Beach many times and it is always fantastic. This was the third time at the San Diego branch and it will probably be my last - it is not a good restaurant. Each time we have gone the quality has gotten worse. This time while the support service was extremely attentive our main waitress was nowhere to be found. The food which is the main reason to go here is not what I expect from a Batali restaurant. The appetizers we ordered that came with bread were overflowing with olive oil and inedible. The "star" of the menu, pizza was not a great or even good representation of what they are capable of, but a sad representation of mediocre crust with decent toppings. Overall not worth heading too.
- FabulousMarink9Dined on 9/11/2014Best pizza I have ever had, pasta was tasty not over sauces and the brociflower romanesco was incredibly delicious. Great meal, gelato without syrups. An excellent find, reasonable prices.Special Features:
- HorribleOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/6/2014Big fan of B & B restaurants. This is my third time eating here and after three tries, I am officially abandoning any hopes of it getting better. I have nothing against the servers who were excellent. I ordered meatball appetizer; it did not arrive. Server said it would come out after my entree had already arrived. Isn't the point of an appetizer to come out before your entrees? When my entree of lasagna arrived, it was flat out cold. They did offer to cook me a fresh lasagna, which did arrive 10 minutes later and was delicious. Again, the servers and management were very gracious about these mistakes, but this is now the third time I have been disappointed in this place. Come on, Joe, fix this place.
- ABCDVIPDined on 9/2/2014Our first visit to Mozza having relocated to SD from NYC. We are huge fans of the Batali/Bastianich restaurants in NYC and found Mozza to be consistent in service and food with Otto - very good. Having read the San Diego Magazine review some weeks ago, we were confident the serious service issues identified would be resolved - they were. The food continues to be excellent.Special Features:
- YummySammmsDined on 8/30/2014Had 9 people and we fit perfect. Great for a celebration and good food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traveling FoodieMelsDinerDined on 8/29/2014A unique gem. Very friendly staff, everyone teams up to ensure your table is clean and topped up with refreshments. My experience was observing a slight initial disorganization, but service picked up once we were initially served. Reviewing the menu prior to arriving may have contributed to my anxiousness to start trying the delicious selections. We tried about 40% of the menu in one sitting and the last to leave the establishment. All selections were fantastic, notables were flatbread pizzas and their version of Caprese.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not their best nightJBGWVIPDined on 8/28/2014Having dined at Pizzeria Mozza in Los Angeles many times, we were keen to try the San Diego restaurant. Menus were similar, although not identical (notably absent were hot olives and breadsticks). Service was very good, but food wasn't. Perhaps it was an off night? The two pizzas we ordered were a bit tough, and both were slightly oily. Two of the three appetizers we ordered (roasted cauliflower and lentils with goat cheese) were not hot, and the cauliflower was undercooked. On the other hand, the meatballs al forno were superb. Both salads (chopped and tricolor) were overdressed, otherwise tasty and substantial. Desserts (salted butterscotch budino and gelato pie) were good!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceCelestialstar2004Dined on 8/25/2014We have gone to this restaurant several times and each time it has been a positive experience. We will continue to go to Mozza.Special Features:
- Amazing service, amazing food!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/25/2014Fantastic pizza. I wouldn't deem it for kids exactly, but we did bring our two kids with us, and they did great. They did have crayons and cute menus for them to draw on. Our little one ate all the calamari, which little bite I had was delicious. Amazing service. Beautiful setting. Perfect for late lunch, relaxing with an Aperol in the courtyard on a summer day. I'm looking forward to going back sans kiddos for a great date with my husband.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kudos Pizzeria Mozza1happybellyVIPDined on 8/25/2014You can't go wrong when your pizza's crust is the work of Nancy Silverton of La Brea Bakery fame. This is the only place I've eaten every bite of the pizza and the crust, ever. The combination of toppings are sensational as well. And don't dare leave without trying the butterscotch budino, no matter how full you think you are. It's velvety and luscious and the most butterscotchy thing ever.Special Features:
- DisappointedLuv2eatoutDined on 8/23/2014We had reservations and were seated right away. However in was too long before waiter came to greet us and take our order. The restaurant was not busy, so not sure why that was. We waited a long time for our food once we ordered, and when it came out, one order was wrong. No bread brought to table while waiting, but you can order bread off the menu. We were asked what kind of water we wanted, sparkling, bottled or regular. Was not told that there was a $15 cost for sparkling water, and it was not on the menu. The food was good, but way over-priced. We do not plan to go back and will not recommend to our friends and family.Special Features:
- Pizzeria MozzaBusterDouglas4foodDined on 8/23/2014The food was delicious, perfect for a light meal. The service was fair, our waiter lacked confidence and everything was slow. The menu options for children were good, but slow service creates a stressful dining experience for you and those around you.Special Features:
- Terrific experienceFoodloverVIPDined on 8/22/2014Funghi misti pizza, meat lovers' pizza, fried mozzarella total wonderful ness! All was delicious and the pizza crust is ethereal. Service was great. Love this restaurant. Very reliably delicious food.Special Features:
- Service Getting BetterFoodieGagaDined on 8/19/2014This was my second visit and the food is very, very good. I arrived early for drinks with the girls and had asked for a table outside. Although there was just one large table outside and two guys inside, nothing had been done. Additionally there was no one at the reception desk and the lone waitress helped me after a few minutes. But once we were seated, we were treated very well. My dining friends were very impressed with the pizzas and appetizers (one of which we had to order another it was so good) and the cocktails and wines were all very delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014The prices were high for a pizza restaurant and pizza was good but not that outstanding. Wine drinks were not appealing. Outside patio area was good for a family with kids but environment not that inviting for a couple.Special Features:
- WOW!MikeHodges37VIPDined on 8/15/2014The food was fantastic! I was expecting just a normal pizzaria menu but this is much more and first class. The Bruschette and Panini were spectacular, as was the pizza and pasta. What amazed me were the very reasonable prices. Good wine selection and specially made "infused" sodas. Quick and efficient service added to an excellent dining experience.Special Features:
- Go EarlyCelestialstar2004Dined on 8/14/2014We took an early reservation. The atmosphere and services were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive PizzaRONSVIPDined on 8/10/2014The location is very good, easy to walk to and walk around the shops. The decor is fairly basic, you can see the pizza ovens clearly which is nice. Wait staff was friendly. Menu is easy to look at with enough choices but not overwhelming. We had two appetizers , fried squash blossoms with ricotta and then the meatballs. They were very tasty. We all ordered pizza. The crust was very good, toppings very good. We had three local beers on tap. We were a table of four our bill was $200 without a tip. Most of the pizza with the special tomatoes are over $20 each which is why my title is Expensive Pizza. Perhaps tourists will continue to come but probably not the locals.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/10/2014Fast food environment very expensive for ambience and food. Food trendy and very strange menu. Thought Nancy Silverton et al would do better. Hype
- Everything was terrific!FoodloverVIPDined on 8/9/2014Fungi pizza, figs wrapped in bacon, butterscotch budino. The best anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperlativeSeaLegsVIPDined on 8/7/2014We live downtown ; and tend to dine at our 'usual' haunts. This place just made 'top of the list.' The food is just divine. Service was friendly and spot on. It's a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a great experienceyani808VIPDined on 8/6/2014Loved the food, waiter, ambiance and outdoor seating. We live out of town but was given this as a recommendation. We are definitely coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EmbarrassingJeffDined on 8/1/2014The service and location are good. The pizza is a joke. I assume that's why someone would choose to go to Mozza. Don't waste your time. Try Bruno and Forchetta; they actually care about the pizzas they serve. The fennel sausage was the high point of the eating experience. The pizza Margherita was heavily sauced, but the basil never made it onto the pie, so it was crust, tons of sauce and a few small pieces of mozzarella. In addition to the fennel sausage pizza, we tried the anchovy and fried capers number. It would have been good if the anchovies were detectable. A good excuse would have been if the restaurant was busy. Nope - it was Friday afternoon and less than one quarter full.Special Features:
- We love it here.DebDawn1Dined on 7/27/2014Must try the meatballs. The food is amazing. Everything we have eaten has been just outstanding. Please don't hesitate to bring guests here for the first time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neapolitan Pizza???CitizenRobDined on 7/27/2014The restaurant says they have Neapolitian pizza but we know what that is and if you go here expecting Neapolitan pizza you will be sorely disappointed. Real pizza has a wonderful chewy, salty, properly baked crust while this pizza had one that was sweet, hard, and greasy, almost like it had been fried. The tomato sauce was bitter and worse than Dominoes. Totally inedible. We had first tried the squash blossom appetizer which had acceptable if not great flavor but was dripping with grease. Well, at least the cocktails were good. To their credit the staff was nice and didn't try to charge us for a meal that we couldn't even eat.
- Not worth the moneyMarceeDined on 7/27/2014The only reason I did not give this place one star is they tried to make up for our LONG wait for our appetizers with a free order of meatballs. Our waitress took our order then we never saw her again until we had our food. It took 30 minutes to get our calamari, the smallest portion I have ever seen, and it was cold. I ordered a Crown and Coke, I'm not sure what I got, the receipt said Makers Mark but it was red, never found out. The pizza dough wasn't crisp enough so as soon as you picked up a slice all the toppings came off. The gelato was delicious, if you do go here order some. It took 2 hours to eat and to make matters worse my mom used her debit card to pay and was charged twice for dinner, 2 different amounts. Never returning.
- CooksueOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/24/2014We were not impressed. Pizza was just average at best. Meatballs were good. Service was good. Prices- ridiculous for a pizza place!
- Heavy Handeddemill66Dined on 7/21/2014I had heard that Mario Batali had opened a restaurant in San Diego and was excited to try it. I had never been to the old police station. The renovation is excellent and it's a good location to meet people as there are a few parking lots nearby. After we were seated, we ordered the chopped salad, the grilled cauliflower and one of the pizzas. The salad was drowned in dressing, the cauliflower was covered in salt, and the pizza, well, let's just say that I'm from New York, and everyone knows how we are about our pizza. This was wood oven pizza, which when done well is delicious. Unfortunately, it was not done well, but well done, overcooked with burnt edges. I've already told my friends not to waste their time or money going here.
- Reliably VERY goodMJF3VIPDined on 7/20/2014San Diego has four reliably great places for pizza, and Mozza is definitely one of them. The salads are also very good, and of generous proportions, and the beer menu features some great local brews. The staff recognizes their regulars, and I definitely am one at this point. :-) I like Mozza, and I do recommend it to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wasn't as good as rememberedSRFoodieDined on 7/19/2014Service was very slow, the food ok but not as good as when it first opened, it was delicious!! Menu has been changed. So I was underwhelmed, wouldn't return which is too bad, I was so excited about Mozza's and drove all the way from Carlsbad. One turn off, asked for a little red sauce to go on my sausage pizza, they charged $2.00 when truly, it should have been on the house. THe mushroom pizza was delicious, the goat cheese good, the sausage pizza my least favorite. Overall, fair but not at the top of my list anymore.Special Features:
- Good but over pricedFoodie4LifeVIPDined on 7/18/2014Pizzeria Mozza (located in the brand new Police Headquarter next to Sea Port Village) served pretty tasty appetizers and pizzas, but was a bit overpriced. We ordered meatballs al forno, Prosciutto di Parma & Bufala, Pane Bianca, two glasses of wine, and the Funghi misti pizza. Our bill was well over $100s. The decor of the restaurant was also nothing extraordinary. I would have given this restaurant four stars if the price point was similar to Sammy's Woodfire Pizza. But I believe since it's Mario Batali' s restaurant, the price point is justified.Special Features:
- Excellent pizzaAraTucsonDined on 7/15/2014The pizzas are really good. The dough is very well done. The sauce is made with tomatoes (canned) but doesn't have the sugary taste you get in standard American pizzas. The cheese (buffalo mozzarella) is excellent (but buffalo apparently costs quite a bit extra). The appetizers were also very good. The restaurant has a good selection of wine and beers. The setting is really nice, in a very lively but not noisy plaza.Special Features:
- averageCrown2Dined on 7/12/2014First time I went it was very good. Now, they changed the menu to mostly pizza. The portions for the appetizers were very small and expensive.Special Features:
- Unexpected ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/12/2014Interesting experience.... the food was good but it just did not match the atmosphere. The staff was extremely attentive. Unfortunately my expectations were let down as the food and the atmosphere just did not compliment one another. Many families with small children gave it a an average pizzeria feel but at higher cost. Overall, I would recommend as you can never predict who will be dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aweful service and bad foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2014Takes atleast 50 mins to get a pizza after ordering. service is aweful and the pizzas have way too much oil on top
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/4/2014My only complaint is that the salad was overdressed. The dressing was lemon-based and just too tart. The pizza was fabulous, especially the dough.Special Features:
- Decent PizzacohibatomDined on 7/4/2014Decent Pizza, crust heavy on edges. Not generous with toppings. Overpriced.Special Features:
- Downtown dinerDowntowndinerVIPDined on 7/3/2014We keep returning for the great pizza but be prepared for long waits. The kitchen cannot seem to time the food too well, but no on ever complains once it finally arrives.Special Features: