Pizzeria Mozza - San Diego
789 W. Harbor Dr, Suite 110
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Pizzeria Mozza - San Diego
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://pizzeriamozza.com/
- Phone: 6193764353x
- Hours of Operation:
Open daily from 11AM-10PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: John Stenbakken
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Please email our Event Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
A word from Pizzeria Mozza - San Diego
Pizzeria Mozza is a bustling, urban burst of flavor and color. It's the perfect setting for a business lunch or late night snack. The wine bar provides a vibrant venue for sampling from a selection of Italian wines, but don't forget about the ample offering of salumi and pizza.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pizzeria Mozza - San Diego reviews from OpenTable diners
141 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (82)great for outdoor dining (79)great for lunch (45)neighborhood gem (43)good for groups (39)kid-friendly (27)notable wine list (24)special occasion (20)hot spot (19)late-night find (8)romantic (7)great for brunch (7)scenic view (3)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- Almost greatSusieSDDined on 10/17/2014The food was superb. Hands down. We tried a variety of items and all were delicious, sorta farm-to-table. Good value too. I think the ambience could be better as it felt a bit "corporate" to me. Maybe that's to encourage families? We went w another couple and had a good time. Though would've liked to feel more of a buzz and dimmer lighting to enhance ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding service and great food!SpurOfMomentDined on 10/14/2014My family went to Pizzeria Mozza on our final night of vacation in San Diego after a tip from a cabbie. The food was outstanding and was great for our kids and us. Their craft beer selection on draft is excellent and can be ordered as a flight of 3 or 4 glasses as well as by the pint. I particularly enjoyed that the flight comes out on a piece of paper that has four circles printed across it with the names of the brews below; along the top of the paper is printed "FLIGHT RISK" and the bottom indicates that the restaurant is located at The Headquarters that was formerly the San Diego Police HQ---really nice touch! Try the pizza with speck, pineapple, and jalapenos---a different twist on the Hawaiian pizza!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/13/2014Great service. Also has a happy hour. Knowledgeable staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as I expecteddebcVIPDined on 10/11/2014Service was slow even though it was early evening and not very busy. The goat cheese pizza was good but the huge pieces of scallions and leeks make it difficult to ear. I did appreciate the 250ml wine serving.Special Features:
- 2nd time aroundETAFoodieVIPDined on 10/2/2014This is my 2nd visit to Mozza. Pizza still amazing. One of the best in town! Pasta this time was disappointing. They change their pasta menu every week and this week the choices were lacking and the sauce a little on the sour side. Other than that, everything was delish.Special Features:
- Doesn't Get Any Better Than This!OuchVIPDined on 9/29/2014This is the best pizza any where. Doesn't come close to Mario's Otto restaurant/pizza in NYC. It is all about the dough/crust and Silverstein's dough makes all the difference. If you want to eat fantastic pizza, this is the place to be.....or at their other location in LA. Mario, can you please either ship the dough to Otto or make it there - your pizza needs help in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pizza placeniceviewDined on 9/28/2014Nice outdoor dining spot. Good food. We went before the Paul McCartney concert at Petco. Convenient to walk there. Wasn't too busy. Attentive wait staff. Very pleasant outdoor dining.Special Features:
- Not badpoubahVIPDined on 9/24/2014a little pricey, pizza pretty good, corkage most expensive in city...not what one would expect for a pizza joint. Will go back however but not regularily.Special Features:
- Terrific ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/23/2014If you're looking for really excellent Italian food, this restaurant of Mario Batali won't disappoint. It's a little pricier than most Italian trattorie, but the quality of the food--and the flavors--make it all worthwhile.Special Features:
- ChrisVIPDined on 9/21/2014Great pizza. Best crust. Love the cocktails. Get the chopped salad and cumin carrots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian Pizza and ServiceLardogDined on 9/19/2014The Headquarters is a nice place to walk around and dine and Mozza is terrific.Special Features:
- RushedWhytherushDined on 9/15/2014Very few people there, no AC so seated outside on very warm night, waitress spoke rapidly, pushed additional drinks and food, everything hurry-hurry, not enjoyable. Will not return. Food is good but not great.
- Good Not GreatJudyVIPDined on 9/14/2014I had very high expectations for this place given its reputation. I was not totally disappointed. The fried cauliflower appetizer was excellent. Had the Napolitana pizza. It was good, not great but good. A little too much crust. Toppings were nice especially the fried capers. Shared a Mozza Caprese which was small but delicious.Special Features:
- Nice RestaurantjlbarandaDined on 9/14/2014The restaurant is very nice, the food and drinks were very good. A little pricey though.Special Features:
- Going Downhill QuickBrucitoDined on 9/13/2014I have eaten at the one in Newport Beach many times and it is always fantastic. This was the third time at the San Diego branch and it will probably be my last - it is not a good restaurant. Each time we have gone the quality has gotten worse. This time while the support service was extremely attentive our main waitress was nowhere to be found. The food which is the main reason to go here is not what I expect from a Batali restaurant. The appetizers we ordered that came with bread were overflowing with olive oil and inedible. The "star" of the menu, pizza was not a great or even good representation of what they are capable of, but a sad representation of mediocre crust with decent toppings. Overall not worth heading too.
- The Crust!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/12/2014This celebrity chef pizzeria is well worth a visit. The crust is amazing. Going for the pizzas with the organic toppings is well worth it. Have dined here several times. Quality is consistently high. Service is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding flavorsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Tried this restaurant for the first time for lunch during the week. The outdoor patio was lovely. Food was amazing - the bruschetta was not your typical chopped tomatoes & garlic. It had a white bean spread, superb prosciutto, creamy, fresh mozzarella - every bite was a sublime flavor explosion. Pizza with house-made Italian fennel sausage was outstanding. Definitely going back for dinner!Special Features:
- FabulousMarink9Dined on 9/11/2014Best pizza I have ever had, pasta was tasty not over sauces and the brociflower romanesco was incredibly delicious. Great meal, gelato without syrups. An excellent find, reasonable prices.Special Features:
- HorribleOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/6/2014Big fan of B & B restaurants. This is my third time eating here and after three tries, I am officially abandoning any hopes of it getting better. I have nothing against the servers who were excellent. I ordered meatball appetizer; it did not arrive. Server said it would come out after my entree had already arrived. Isn't the point of an appetizer to come out before your entrees? When my entree of lasagna arrived, it was flat out cold. They did offer to cook me a fresh lasagna, which did arrive 10 minutes later and was delicious. Again, the servers and management were very gracious about these mistakes, but this is now the third time I have been disappointed in this place. Come on, Joe, fix this place.
- ABCDVIPDined on 9/2/2014Our first visit to Mozza having relocated to SD from NYC. We are huge fans of the Batali/Bastianich restaurants in NYC and found Mozza to be consistent in service and food with Otto - very good. Having read the San Diego Magazine review some weeks ago, we were confident the serious service issues identified would be resolved - they were. The food continues to be excellent.Special Features:
- YummySammmsDined on 8/30/2014Had 9 people and we fit perfect. Great for a celebration and good food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traveling FoodieMelsDinerDined on 8/29/2014A unique gem. Very friendly staff, everyone teams up to ensure your table is clean and topped up with refreshments. My experience was observing a slight initial disorganization, but service picked up once we were initially served. Reviewing the menu prior to arriving may have contributed to my anxiousness to start trying the delicious selections. We tried about 40% of the menu in one sitting and the last to leave the establishment. All selections were fantastic, notables were flatbread pizzas and their version of Caprese.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not their best nightJBGWVIPDined on 8/28/2014Having dined at Pizzeria Mozza in Los Angeles many times, we were keen to try the San Diego restaurant. Menus were similar, although not identical (notably absent were hot olives and breadsticks). Service was very good, but food wasn't. Perhaps it was an off night? The two pizzas we ordered were a bit tough, and both were slightly oily. Two of the three appetizers we ordered (roasted cauliflower and lentils with goat cheese) were not hot, and the cauliflower was undercooked. On the other hand, the meatballs al forno were superb. Both salads (chopped and tricolor) were overdressed, otherwise tasty and substantial. Desserts (salted butterscotch budino and gelato pie) were good!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceCelestialstar2004Dined on 8/25/2014We have gone to this restaurant several times and each time it has been a positive experience. We will continue to go to Mozza.Special Features:
- Amazing service, amazing food!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/25/2014Fantastic pizza. I wouldn't deem it for kids exactly, but we did bring our two kids with us, and they did great. They did have crayons and cute menus for them to draw on. Our little one ate all the calamari, which little bite I had was delicious. Amazing service. Beautiful setting. Perfect for late lunch, relaxing with an Aperol in the courtyard on a summer day. I'm looking forward to going back sans kiddos for a great date with my husband.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kudos Pizzeria Mozza1happybellyVIPDined on 8/25/2014You can't go wrong when your pizza's crust is the work of Nancy Silverton of La Brea Bakery fame. This is the only place I've eaten every bite of the pizza and the crust, ever. The combination of toppings are sensational as well. And don't dare leave without trying the butterscotch budino, no matter how full you think you are. It's velvety and luscious and the most butterscotchy thing ever.Special Features:
- DisappointedLuv2eatoutDined on 8/23/2014We had reservations and were seated right away. However in was too long before waiter came to greet us and take our order. The restaurant was not busy, so not sure why that was. We waited a long time for our food once we ordered, and when it came out, one order was wrong. No bread brought to table while waiting, but you can order bread off the menu. We were asked what kind of water we wanted, sparkling, bottled or regular. Was not told that there was a $15 cost for sparkling water, and it was not on the menu. The food was good, but way over-priced. We do not plan to go back and will not recommend to our friends and family.Special Features:
- Pizzeria MozzaBusterDouglas4foodDined on 8/23/2014The food was delicious, perfect for a light meal. The service was fair, our waiter lacked confidence and everything was slow. The menu options for children were good, but slow service creates a stressful dining experience for you and those around you.Special Features:
- Terrific experienceFoodloverVIPDined on 8/22/2014Funghi misti pizza, meat lovers' pizza, fried mozzarella total wonderful ness! All was delicious and the pizza crust is ethereal. Service was great. Love this restaurant. Very reliably delicious food.Special Features:
- Service Getting BetterFoodieGagaDined on 8/19/2014This was my second visit and the food is very, very good. I arrived early for drinks with the girls and had asked for a table outside. Although there was just one large table outside and two guys inside, nothing had been done. Additionally there was no one at the reception desk and the lone waitress helped me after a few minutes. But once we were seated, we were treated very well. My dining friends were very impressed with the pizzas and appetizers (one of which we had to order another it was so good) and the cocktails and wines were all very delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014The prices were high for a pizza restaurant and pizza was good but not that outstanding. Wine drinks were not appealing. Outside patio area was good for a family with kids but environment not that inviting for a couple.Special Features:
- WOW!MikeHodges37VIPDined on 8/15/2014The food was fantastic! I was expecting just a normal pizzaria menu but this is much more and first class. The Bruschette and Panini were spectacular, as was the pizza and pasta. What amazed me were the very reasonable prices. Good wine selection and specially made "infused" sodas. Quick and efficient service added to an excellent dining experience.Special Features:
- Go EarlyCelestialstar2004Dined on 8/14/2014We took an early reservation. The atmosphere and services were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive PizzaRONSVIPDined on 8/10/2014The location is very good, easy to walk to and walk around the shops. The decor is fairly basic, you can see the pizza ovens clearly which is nice. Wait staff was friendly. Menu is easy to look at with enough choices but not overwhelming. We had two appetizers , fried squash blossoms with ricotta and then the meatballs. They were very tasty. We all ordered pizza. The crust was very good, toppings very good. We had three local beers on tap. We were a table of four our bill was $200 without a tip. Most of the pizza with the special tomatoes are over $20 each which is why my title is Expensive Pizza. Perhaps tourists will continue to come but probably not the locals.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/10/2014Fast food environment very expensive for ambience and food. Food trendy and very strange menu. Thought Nancy Silverton et al would do better. Hype
- Everything was terrific!FoodloverVIPDined on 8/9/2014Fungi pizza, figs wrapped in bacon, butterscotch budino. The best anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperlativeSeaLegsVIPDined on 8/7/2014We live downtown ; and tend to dine at our 'usual' haunts. This place just made 'top of the list.' The food is just divine. Service was friendly and spot on. It's a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a great experienceyani808VIPDined on 8/6/2014Loved the food, waiter, ambiance and outdoor seating. We live out of town but was given this as a recommendation. We are definitely coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EmbarrassingJeffDined on 8/1/2014The service and location are good. The pizza is a joke. I assume that's why someone would choose to go to Mozza. Don't waste your time. Try Bruno and Forchetta; they actually care about the pizzas they serve. The fennel sausage was the high point of the eating experience. The pizza Margherita was heavily sauced, but the basil never made it onto the pie, so it was crust, tons of sauce and a few small pieces of mozzarella. In addition to the fennel sausage pizza, we tried the anchovy and fried capers number. It would have been good if the anchovies were detectable. A good excuse would have been if the restaurant was busy. Nope - it was Friday afternoon and less than one quarter full.Special Features:
- We love it here.DebDawn1Dined on 7/27/2014Must try the meatballs. The food is amazing. Everything we have eaten has been just outstanding. Please don't hesitate to bring guests here for the first time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.