342 Depot Street
Asheville, NC 28801Neighborhood:
PizzeriaPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pizzapura.com/
- Phone: 8282252582x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Laura Reuss
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Pizza Pura is small and the entire restaurant can be reserved with seating for 40.
- Private Party Contact: Ben Mixson 8282795176x
A word from Pizza Pura
The mission of Pizza Pura is to respect the history of pizza by implementing the original methods of pizza preparation dating to the 1800"s in Naples, Italy. We use a Neapolitan template and apply local and seasonal produce and meats to our wood-fired oven. This is complimented by our house made small batch gelato.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Pizza Pura - Best Restaurants in Asheville ›
Pizza Pura reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (24)neighborhood gem (19)great for outdoor dining (18)kid-friendly (16)good for groups (13)great for lunch (4)hot spot (3)notable wine list (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- My favoriteMarthaDined on 10/18/2014For a loose casual fab dinner this is my favorite place in Asheville. It is perfection when it comes to the complimentary combination of atmmosphere, food, drink and very sweet staff. Everything about it is genuine....sometimes rare in asheville with the restaurants all trying too hard. PP doesnt have to try... THEY ARE!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KateInDCVIPDined on 10/11/2014Fun and delicious -- we were visiting from Washington, DC, but if we were local we'd be regulars!Special Features:
- fun, interesting & noisyschmuck56Dined on 10/3/2014My wife & I found this rest. thru Open Table & decided to try. The pizzas were interesting & good though the bottom of crust was slightly burnt from the wood roasting oven. Service was excellent: friendly & attentive. Dessert was really good! Prices were moderate, rest. was quite noisy but not so loud that you had to yell. Outdoor dining available (some covered, some open picnic tables). We had a good meal & a fun time & would rec. to othersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you like pizza...MangezbienDined on 9/19/2014...you might enjoy this place! Great choices, fresh ingredients. Tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Neo-Pizza, Long Wait for FoodAmazingAshevilleDined on 9/19/2014Our pizzas - I had the red "Three Little Pigs" and my wife the signature "Fig & Pig" -- were excellent. However, the meal narrowly escaped being a disaster, as we had to wait one long hour after being seated for our starter, the arugula salad. Then we waited some more for our pizzas, which only take 90 seconds to cook. The explanation was that a large group had come in just before we did, but while busy on a Friday night the restaurant wasn't totally full. A well-run restaurant (the owner also runs White Duck Taco in the RAD and Downtown) that has been open for more than a year should be able to handle a normal evening. I say nearly a "disaster" because the embarrassed waitress took 50% off our meal and comped us dessert. Nice move!Special Features:
- Beat pizza in Asheville?Birdmom1Dined on 9/4/2014Our first time at Pizza Pura! Authentic Italian pizza cooked just right! They gladly accommodated my dietary needs (vegan). Service was great! We will be back!Special Features:
- You Tried The Rest Now Try The BestfoodsnobVIPDined on 8/26/2014If you want pizza that tastes like real Italian look no further. The arugula salad is delicious and huge. I don't often have dessert when dining out but I make an exception at Pizza Pura because they make delicious gelato and cannoli's. This is the perfect place for a casual inexpensive meal that is so much better than other "pizza joint".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good!lpakDined on 8/15/2014Ordered Caprese Salad, Genovese Pizza, Tiramisu Gelato. All were amazing!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ingredients!ETRO14Dined on 8/15/2014Well crafted pizza! Spectacular flavors, well executed dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best pizza in AshevilleDJKistlerVIPDined on 8/14/2014Great tasting pizza and creative combinations of ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great pizzatotalfoodieDined on 8/2/2014Excellent pizza and a real plus that you take reservationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic pizzapizzafiendDined on 7/29/2014Excellent crust, simple but fresh tomato sauce & ingredients. Not the most variety available, but what they serve they make well.Special Features:
- Real pizzaHalfbackDined on 7/25/2014This is the real deal people! Very authentic and as close to what you'll find in Italy as you'll get. Go and enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticSweeTeaDined on 7/25/2014Best pizza ever.... Salsicchia... It was amazing! Everyone was nice; hand-made home-made mozzarella! Just wonderful!Special Features:
- We Came. We Saw. We AtePizzaLoverDined on 7/18/2014Delicious salads and pizzas. Our group of six shared several arugula salads and five different pizzas (we had leftovers) and several of us shared a bottle of wine (montepulciano for $32). We also ordered several of the yummy cannoli for dessert. Nice wait staff. We sat on the deck on a rainy Friday evening (rustic feel, picnic tables) protected from the rain by an awning. Overall very happy dining experience, reasonable prices and we will go back.Special Features:
- Best pizza in townFoodiesophisticatedDined on 6/27/2014Incredible handcrafted gourmet pizza with unique ingredients. Homemade pistachio cannoli's the best ever. All staff warm, welcoming and efficient. Eaten there many times and amazingly consistent. Way to go.Special Features:
- The following 48 reviews are from the Pizza Pura reviews archive.
- Time to clean the pizza stone!CribpusherDined on 6/21/2014We love the unique toppings, great salads, and the awesome Lambrusco served here, but this visit, pizza crust had burnt oven sediment that overwhelmed the taste. Very disappointing, as we have enjoyed our prior visits so much. I hope this will be corrected so we may return.Special Features:
- Best Pizza in AshevillefoodsnobVIPDined on 6/16/2014Just the best! Our go-to place for outstanding pizza, salad, dessert. Service is friendly and knowledgable.Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood PizzaAshevilleResidentDined on 6/14/2014Pizza was great. There was not a great selection of beer, especially with Asheville's current beer scene.Special Features:
- My favorite date night spotMarthaDined on 6/14/2014Loose, relaxed, comfortable, friendly and OUTSTANDING FOOD!!!!! This is the real thing and of course Asheville fresh. We go regularly and are trying to eat our way through the menu. Last week the discovery of sage sausage and leeks on italian cream rather than a tomato sauce was AMAZING! This week we tried the artichoke and spinach on italian cream and asked the chef to add a meat of his choice. He surprised us with calebrese sausage. Little pigs is also a favorite. AND DO NOT miss the cannolis, salty caramel is my fave. Ok...here is the deal. Get both specialty salads and share, a glass of house red, pizzas of your choice, cannolis to finish and an espresso to savor and you just had one of the best meals Asheville has to offer.Special Features:
- Pizza Supreme!Foodie1VIPDined on 6/13/2014An outstanding pizzeria--neapolitan pizzas from a wood fired oven. The pizza has less cheese than is usual in the U.S. and choice ingredients without being overwhelming. The pizzas are a cut above ordinary and are truly gourmet. The staff is friendly and helpful. The restaurant is small with booth and table seating. We were in a party of 5 and all were quite pleased. The cannoli for desert were wonderful as was the gelato. Overall, as good as it gets for pizza in Asheville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is a gem!EricHVIPDined on 6/7/2014We have been patrons of Pizza Pura since it first opened, and we love this little gem. The service is always casual and friendly, with helpful descriptions and wine suggestions. But it's the simple and delicious food that holds our interest. When guests are in town, Pizza Pura is a solide choice and great alternative to busy downtown establishments.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationDawnJDined on 6/7/2014When we go out to dinner we want it to be special. That doesn't necessarily mean expensive! It does mean good food and good service. I took my husband to Pizza Pura for his birthday since we had heard so many good things about the pizza. We started with the anitpasti appetizer that was plentiful and delicious. From there we ordered two different pizzas - the Fig and Pig and the house special that night, brussels sprout and green apple. Yes, it sounds strange but they were amazingly delicious. All ingredients were fresh and nothing overpowered. Of course no birthday is complete without dessert and they more than delivered with salted caramel toffee cannolis. We could have cut everything in half but it was a birthday. Great placeSpecial Features:
- Been around the world- Pura is fab!MouthTougueStomachVIPDined on 6/6/2014My husband is on the hunt for the perfect slice. He's from New Jersey so he wants his pizza to be as good as a mythical place in his memory. Consequently, we try a lot of mediocre pizza. Pura pizza is in my top all time pizza places. I love the crust, the presentation and the atmosphere. It has a lot of foodie toppings like Brussels sprouts and figs but it also pleases my very picky Jersey guy. Pura also does a nice job on several salads and their homemade cannolis are worth the calories. It's a fun place to hang with large roomy booths and great outdoor seating. Great service and a fair price finishes the story of why I am a repeat customer.Special Features:
- none betterJustAvisitDined on 5/24/2014I have been to Italy twice and NYC a bunch but never had pizza better than this.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming and freshEdnasgldphishVIPDined on 5/24/2014Had a wonderful experience. Food was fresh, pizza was unique. Service was top notch (thanks Brittany[ney] for keeping up with our wild family). You must have dessert, some of the best canolis I've ever had. Will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JudiVIPDined on 5/23/2014Some of the best pizza in town! Never disappointed.Special Features:
- Fantastic pizza!BarberDined on 5/15/2014Some of the most creative and delicious pizza I've ever had. The service was great too. It's a must visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pizzaOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/6/2014This was a great pizza. It reminded me of the pizza I use to eat in Germany.Special Features:
- yummy pizzaman123Dined on 5/2/2014The pizza and service was great. If you go at the right time you can catch an awesome sunset.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SolidVtwinPilotVIPDined on 4/26/2014It's located in what appears to be a renovated warehouse district. Very well done. Small outdoor patio (we sat inside) and nicely decorated inside. The speidini was tasty. My Pig and Fig pizza, unbeknownst to me when I ordered, was not a 'red' pizza with tomato sauce. I later saw on the menu that it indeed was listed under the section labeled "special pizzas". The 'red' pizza section with classics like Margherita was above. The pig and fig pizza was fine and all, but I'd say too sweet for my taste for the main meal. It was sweet enough to be dessert. The crust though was done to perfection with that small amount of char that tells you it was baked in a wood-fired oven. Would definitely come back.Special Features:
- PickyeaterDined on 4/22/2014Service was excellent! Arugula Salad and pizza delicious combinations of flavors. The seasoning was just right.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pure pizzaPaulo123VIPDined on 4/19/2014Great pizza. Cool surroundings. Great service. Cold beer. What more do you need?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome find!!SamanthasueDined on 4/18/2014This little gem tucked away in the River Arts District has a fun environment with delicious food. Don't expect the typical pizza you get in most restaurants. Pizza Pura has an interesting pasta like crust loaded with fresh ingredients. The arugula salad was very large, fresh and delicious. One thing you must do is save room for dessert. The chocolate dipped cannoli stuffed with pistachio filling should not be missed. Thank you Pizza Puro!! We've told many friends about you and you are definitely worth the drive from Black Mountain!Special Features:
- Still the best Neapolitan pizzaChristopherDined on 3/29/2014There are a few great wood-fired brick oven pizza restaurants in AVL but we return to Pizza Pura more so than the others. Not sure why but there is a difference in their crust that we just dont seem to find in others. And their homemade Gelato is a must to try.Special Features:
- Very good choiceGolfengDined on 3/22/2014This was our first time in Asheville. We picked the restaurant because of Open Table reviews. Food was different and great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pizza crust & toppings done rightPizzagirlDined on 3/22/2014Pizza Pura's colorful wood fired oven puts out great pizza. The pizza chef/owner has got the temperature down correctly so the pizzas are lovely bubbly masterpieces. Fresh toppings such as house made sausage & mozzarella. Even a cheese less pie if that's what you want. I never take any home. The salads are also a good start to the meal. Fresh local greens & great vinaigrette dressing not over done. My son loves the Kumato tomato salad with fresh mozzarella, balsamic & pepperoni chips. The staff is friendly and efficient. I wish it was in my neighborhood, but worth the 10 minute drive.Special Features:
- Great foodDininginAshevileDined on 3/15/2014The menu is short but includes great choices. The caprese salad with homemade mozzarella was very tasty. My pizza with homemade sausage was yummy. No room for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HideawayFoodfreaksDined on 3/14/2014This place is a awesome tucked away gem in Asheville. Love it everytime we goSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pizzaMimiWNCDined on 2/27/2014Celebrated a family birthday here and everyone from ages 4 to 70+ was happy. It goes without saying that the pizza is wonderful - fabulous crust and super creative toppings. The new procuitto wrapped cheese appetizer was a huge hit. Don't miss this place. Wish it was open for lunch.Special Features: