1401 University Ave
Berkeley, CA 94702Neighborhood:
PizzeriaPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://pizzamoda.com/
- Phone: 5108415200
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: T-W 5:30pm-9:30pm
Dinner: F-Sa 5:30pm-10:00pm
Dinner: Su 5:30pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Vegan, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Evan Crandall
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Cross Street: University Ave. and Acton St.
- Public Transit: 5 minute walk south of North Berkeley Bart station. AC Transit bus stop for the 51B line directly in front of the restaurant on University Ave.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Large well lighted private parking lot located behind the restaurant with access from both University Ave. and Acton St.
A word from Pizza Moda
Pizza Moda is a fun, Euro-style neighborhood restaurant serving seasonal, artisan pizzas, pastas, and salads in a warm, welcoming urban-chic setting. They"re stylish, but also kid-friendly, and offer several delicious vegetarian and vegan options. You'll find local micro-brews on draft, and a great selection of interesting wines. House-made desserts too!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Pizza Moda - Best Restaurants in Berkeley ›
Pizza Moda reviews from OpenTable diners
81 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (52)fit for foodies (41)kid-friendly (32)good for groups (25)special occasion (11)great for lunch (10)hot spot (7)romantic (6)late-night find (5)notable wine list (4)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Neighborhood GemBerkeleyiteDined on 10/11/2014I have watched this restaurant grow into such a happening place with the consistency of fantastic food, service and comfort. It is a neighborhood gem! The Pizzas are seasonal and use only fresh ingredients. My current favorites are the summer squash and mushroom. Salads are also unique, seasonal and well presented. I always share one and it is ample enough to do that with a pizza or main course. The arugula salad is fantastic. The wine list is reasonably priced and interesting. Desserts are great ! I can not say enough good things about this neighborhood favorite! Jeff has created a special place that you will want to come back to over and over again. It is unpretentious but has everything a discerning foodie would want in a meal!Special Features:
- good pasta-but forgot our pizzaitalianloverDined on 10/10/2014Both my guest and I ordered pasta, but we couldn't eat there without trying the pizza. We ordered Pizza as an appetizer and the server specifically asked if we wanted the pizza before our pasta dishes. Our pasta dishes came out before pizza, we were hungry and started eating. The dish was a very good portion and was delicious. I am always on the hunt for good pasta and I was not disappointed. The waitress came by and asked if we wanted dessert and I pointed out we were still waiting for our appetizer. She was very apologetic. As we were full we cancelled our missing pizza and the waitress insisted we have a dessert on the house. will go back to try the pastaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great thin crust pizzaMarkieVIPDined on 10/9/2014Love their seasonal salads and thin crust pizza. Not a lot of cheese, but, lots of flavors combine to make a great pizza.... Tried the fig, gorganzola and arugla pizza and it was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Ravioli in the Bay AreaparbakeDined on 10/5/2014My wife and I ate here on a Sunday evening. They were lined up out the door; fortunately we had reservations. We had the mac & cheese with melted leeks and white cheddar cheese: great. We also had the Butternut Squash Ravioli with mushroom coulis and shallots and sage. It is the best ravioli in the entire Bay Area (that we've had, anyway)!! The pizza was no slouch either: goat cheese with red onions and roasted pistachios. The crust was perfect. For dessert the peach and blueberry crisp with a huge dollop of fresh vanilla ice cream. Fantastic~~ we will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Pizza needs improvementOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/4/2014Avocado & citrus salad was really god. The buttersquash ravioli is too sweet. The pizza is just ok. The pizza bread is a bit tough & chewy. If the dough improves, pizza might be better.
- Not what we expectedSamkDined on 10/3/2014We got there on time and were swiftly seated. So we were excited. The ambiance was ok the restaurant was full we ordered and pizza 's came in about 20 minutes. The food was just average. We ended up returning one of the pizza's and they were happy to exchange it for another one from the menu no questions asked. So I thought that was fair. The temperature in the restaurant was getting warm and a bit annoying. The server was fine and this should not reflect on him, however we did not think that the food was worth going back. The dessert was so so. We got out quickly because the air outside felt much fresher than insideSpecial Features:
- Great Food, Horrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Food was amazing, very tasty. Good Pizza and good Pappardelle. Service was wack ! Was sat, and wasn't greeted by anyone for about 15 minutes. In the meantime, the table next to us was sat, got water, and even placed appetizer / drink orders. Finally our server comes to us and say "Are you guys ready to order?". I mean at least say hello, welcome, or give us your name ? We ordered a bottle of wine from her and she doesn't know proper wine service. We ordered our food (appetizer and entrees) when she brought the wine out and never saw her until we were don't with our food ! She came by not to check on us, but to drop off the check. Horrible.Special Features:
- great foodebuenaVIPDined on 9/21/2014used a travelzoo voucher for this visit. the calamari pasta was YUMMY and the pizza was delicious. highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Great PizzaGaleDined on 9/20/2014We tried Pizza Moda for the first time and were very pleased. The ambiance was cozy, the service was outstanding and the pizza was great. We will be going again!Special Features:
- Great pizzas and saladsItalianFoodLoverDined on 9/20/2014We (myself, spouse and two our boys 8 and 10 yo) went there last week. This is our second visit. Pizza and salads were fantastic. $3 for kids lemonade is pricey especially this was just a lemonade! We all liked garlic bread. This is not really a kids place, but our kids can be preoccupied with talking to us or to each other for an indefinite amount of time, so the place was great for us all. We will come back for sure. We did not have deserts or alcohol. Two large pizzas, two lemonades, two salads and an order of garlic bread = $65 (tip not included). Except myself, the rest of family are not heavy eaters so we had two slices of pizza to take home. I highly recommend this place for couples, singles, families with well behaved kids..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, friendly dining experienceSafari7173Dined on 9/19/2014We had a greatvtimevat Pizza Moda. Very good service, delicious food, and family friendly. We came in two parties-one of 12 with kids and one of 6 adults. You seated us near each other which made the overall dining experience great. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- glovesmVIPDined on 9/14/2014The zucchini salad was really good. We enjoyed the pizzas and they were quite large - we got the one to feed 3 people and it's true, even for a heavy eater. The server was not very warm or friendly and seemed like she was just going through the motions.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quite close to authentic italian!PizzaFreakDined on 9/13/2014After several years in Italy, finding pizza that closely resembles the kind you would get in Italy has not been easy. The type of flour used, the cheese, the tomatoes... it's all difficult to emulate, but the folks at Pizza Moda really deliver. I recommend it to anyone who wants to try pizza the way Italians have it. I have nothing against US-style pizza (I love pizza in all its forms), but it's a different meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way too noisyMrLozDined on 9/12/2014This was my first (and probably last) visit to Pizza Moda. Maybe friday night wasnt the best premiere time. Very noisy, literally screaming child on the next table which noone seemed interested in doiong anything about. Staff seemed very rushed.Special Features:
- great pizza!maddieDined on 9/11/2014Friendly service and great pizza! Has a parking lot , easy to access. Cozy wine bar.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014It was great to be able to park right there in Berkeley. The ceasar salad was super, the pizzas great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014Food is excellent. 2 of the 4 in our party live in the area and had never noticed it before, but will now make a point of returning there. Unfortunately, there was a large birthday party group at the extended table next to us and they were very noisy. We basically had to yell to talk to each other. If the place remains as busy as it has been, noise could be a problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodHollywoodDined on 8/30/2014Their food is consistently good. Goat cheese pizza is our favorite. We also really enjoy the refreshing arugula salad. Service was also great. Only downside is that it was rather warm in there. We will be back.Special Features:
- Great findannieDined on 8/30/2014Didn't know Pizza Moda existed. Was happy to find it. Very pleasant ambiance, great, friendly service and very good food. Try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/28/2014The food wasn't bad but the service was really bad. They seems under staff for server because we waited forever to place order... wait for our drink and the longest wait was for our bill.Special Features:
- Trendy LookingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/27/2014Above average everything! I really like their take on their food and the way the place is set up. I like the vintage feel but with bright colors. I like the bright but deep colored red furnace by the hostess table. I like that they have children's books everywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Thin CrustMarkieVIPDined on 8/21/2014Good thin crust pizza. Nicely balanced pizza flavors without being barried in cheese. Reasonably priced beers on tap. The squash ribbon salad was terrific and the service was very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nicemichaelbiermanVIPDined on 8/15/2014Food was really nice, loved the pizza. Service was amazing.Special Features:
- YUMMY!!LocalFoodie1Dined on 8/9/2014LOVE, LOVE their pizza, green beans, Cesar salad, mac & cheese. I want to order other items, but I keep coming back to what I've had before because they're sooo tasty. Servers very attentive. Make a ressie or come early - it gets busy by 6:30-7:00. Or use Open Table - an easy way to make sure you get in when you want. Easy parking also!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GembonpeteVIPDined on 7/25/2014Pizza Moda is the resurrected Fellini's with the same owner, Jeff Davis. The ambience is of a perfect neighborhood gathering spot. The food is Italianesque with the wonderful flexibility of substituting ingredients so several of the offerings can be gluten-free, vegan, vegetarian etc. The presentations are unassuming, generous and not light handed nor over the top saturated on the sauces, dressings etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great to have this place so close!JaneDined on 7/25/2014Always a treat -- good food and a wonderful staff, lead by Jeff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/24/2014Great place, food was yummy and they even cater to vegans which is awesome. Only draw back was the day we went it was a warm day and it was BLAZIN HOT inside the restaurant. We had to step outside to cool downSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NICE!Lucky11Dined on 7/24/2014Great experience. Food and service outstanding. I will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cozy neighborhood restaurantLAopentableDined on 7/18/2014We were immediately and warmly greeted upon our arrival and our food arrived in a timely fashion. They served wonderfully fresh organic salads, with in-season ingredients that are both visually appealing and VERY tasty (we ordered 2 different ones...we couldn't decide, so lucky for us)! They even offer a vegan pizza!! We were pleased with our meal, and enjoyed their wine selection. We will definitely return. :)Special Features:
- Great pizza and saladWhymeVIPDined on 7/12/2014We enjoyed the salad and pizza. We liked the mix of patrons: a range of ages and ethnic backgrounds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/10/2014Thin crust Pizza was good as was the salads. Thurs - no corkage was a good dealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food that makes you feel goodNanisDined on 6/28/2014Down-to-earth menu with great choice of appetizers including the baby kale ceaser and the avocado citrus salad. Love the spaghetti with mussels and margarite pizza. Spectacular chocolate flour-less cake for dessert. Coffee is always excellent. Relaxed atmosphere and plenty of private parking.Special Features:
- The following 4 reviews are from the Pizza Moda reviews archive.
- I will definitely go again.AntsmuzicDined on 6/14/2014The food was very good, the service was great, it was an overall very good dinin experience. I would have given them 5 stars for the food but for me, it was a biy salty. This sentiment was also shared by my brother and my son who were with me at the time. Don't get me wrong, the food was very good but they could ease up on the sodium a bit. By the way we had 3 pizzas-- smoked salmon, shaved asparagus, and mushroom. I will be going back. Oh yeah and the service was great, friendly, attentive...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food & AmbiancehiredgoonDined on 6/14/2014This pizzeria is a great little neighborhood find with very good pizza, nice wine list, and fantastic deserts. The also have a couple non-pizza dishes as well as salads if you want something else.Special Features:
- Unique Pizza selectionWowzersDined on 6/14/2014Enjoyed a fantastic Potato and Turkey Bacon Pizza. Wasn't sure about potato on a pizza, but it was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan Friendly neighborhood gem.BerkeleySteveDined on 6/11/2014For a nice central place to meet up with friends, this is our spot. It is near North Berkeley Bart, and has a parking lot. The menu is focused at pizza, pasta and seafood. For summer we start with the avocado and citrus salad, with a fall back to the caesar. Then choices: the sweet-pea ravioli or maybe the house smoked salmon pizza. With vegan friends we go for the smiling cow with great tasting vegan sausage & cheeses, does not taste like a compromise to have something vegan. All the pies can be made gluten-free, & they have a separate area for preparation & isolation (I have heard the discussion at other tables a few times) this attention to detail is important to many of their customers. Beats any sit-down pizza restaurant in Berkeley.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.