830 Cortland Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.piqueos.com/
- Phone: (415) 282-8812
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Peruvian, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Carlos Altamirano
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant for further details or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant for further details
- Private Party Contact: Carlos 415-282-8812
A word from Piqueos
Fusion Peruvian Cuisine. Artful ambiance. These are the ingredients that create this dynamic San Francisco restaurant, Piqueos. In our cuisine you will find an unmistakable touch of Peru. In every dish the distinct flavors of regional spices come through.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerTapas / Small Plates
Piqueos - Best Restaurants in Bernal Heights ›
Piqueos reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (48)fit for foodies (41)romantic (14)special occasion (14)good for groups (9)hot spot (7)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (1)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/15/2014Great place. Only complaint not much ventilation so quite stuffy when crowded and you may leave smelling like foodSpecial Features:
- up and downsyfeedmeDined on 11/10/2014in a span of a couple of weeks we had one really great meal with excellent attentive and friendly service and one not so good meal with aloof service - needs some consistency but...... I still love this placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was excellentBizDinnerDined on 11/8/2014As always, the food was exceptional. As usual, the service was so-so. Reservation was maybe 30 minutes late? After 20+ min they finally offered us a glass of sangria. I will definitely eat there again, but only if I know I have nowhere else to be that night.
- dessert was amazingyummyDined on 11/1/2014We shared several small plates and had a great meal. The service was great until the waiter abandoned us with the dessert menu. It was worth the wait for an amazing Peruvian Dulce de Leche which was like a gooey butterscotch pudding. Yummy!Special Features:
- Perfect PeruvianjohnatVIPDined on 10/31/2014My wife and I were jonesing for the type of inventive Peruvian food we loved in Lima. Piqueos fit the bill perfectly -- Causas that taste like Peruvian causas are hard to find in the US (what with the limited variety of potatoes in North America) -- serving a nightly special topped with grilled octopus and a chili aioli. We also ate a number of other small seafood plates including grilled squid, sauteed shrimp and a tasty raw cured white fish ceviche that was prepared with a chile lime sauce. Everything was prepared to order and served in a timely and pleasant manner by the wait staff. We will head back and now want to try the other 3 Peruvian restaurants (plus a food truck in the Mission) from the chef & owner's portfolio.Special Features:
- DisappointedNatiVIPDined on 10/3/2014Had a reservation at 5:30 and when we got there the hostess told me, "We are not open yet." I guess I was there at 5:29. We waited outside patiently and saw the hostes walk towards the door at 5:42 and I thought, finally she's coming to get us. She stopped at the door to turn the sign from closed to open and she never acnowledge us or the other party that was waiting to come in. I could have walked away to any other restaurant in the neighborhood but I was there for the food and if the hostess lacked costumer service skills, that was not going to mess with my Peruvian eating experience. After sampling many dishes, I was not impressed....perhaps the unwelcoming encounter with the hostess left a bad taste in my mouth.
- Keeps hitting the mark.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014Piqueos continues to impress. Service was very attentive, knowledgeable and patient given that it was a busy Saturday night. The flavors and textures in their dishes taste fresh and vibrant and compliment one another in surprising ways. The pork ribs stood out specifically for their extreme tenderness, balanced by the crunch of a coleslaw on the side. The seafood paella was served on a plate, rather than in a skillet as in some places. It was a relatively small portion, and though there was a decent portion of fish, there was not much fresh fish flavor in this dish. Nice selection of wines by the glass that paired very well with the flavors in the food.Special Features:
- Love those small platesMountainViewRedVIPDined on 9/15/2014Great food, great wine at good prices, quiet enough so we could talk (what a wonderful change), wonderful service. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable ExperiencemissfortiesDined on 8/30/2014Food was really amazing and interested. Sangria packed plenty of punch. Their services was prompt and courteous. Menu is braod enough to have something for everyone. We will definitely go back there again and tell all our friends!!!!!Special Features:
- Food is better than ever!RitaDined on 8/22/2014Living in the neighborhood, we have been going to Piqueo's since it opened. The food this time was better than ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Raising the bar.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2014With several noteworthy tapas, Basque or Peruvian restaurants in the Bay Area, Piqueos is certainly one of the best. Though we only sampled a few dishes on our first visit there, they all exceeded our expectations, delivering bright, fresh flavors and unique combinations of ingredients. The servings are appropriately sized, the waitstaff friendly and accommodating and the prices reasonable for the city. I am very much looking forward to going back to taste my way through the vast menu!Special Features:
- XmasVIPDined on 7/25/2014Piqueos si an unpretentious great restaurant. Every tapas plate has a surprising and great tastes. Mix of textures and spices that will leave you wanting for more. Limited wine list but very reasonable. Great service. Our waiter was spot on with recommendations throughout.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 537 reviews are from the Piqueos reviews archive.
- The best peruvian restaurant in SFfoodfanVIPDined on 7/19/2014Everything we ordered was great, loved the ceviches and beef dish in particular. The restaurant is a converted home and it is really cute. Great for a date. The sangria was great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy spotMission13VIPDined on 7/15/2014We had been here before and brought a friend with many dietary restrictions. We had a great meal. It was not the predictable CA cuisine that a lot of neighborhood places featureSpecial Features:
- Mixed bagSweetBTVIPDined on 7/10/2014Good food but mixed results. Short rib -- delicious. Duck paella -- disappointing. Crab cake -- not bad but a bit odd with cheese. Whatever the fourth dish I had -- not memorable given that one day later I can't recall what it was. Overall worth a try because creativity is worth the occasional miss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprising flavors!MomoDined on 7/9/2014This restaurant offers a really unique menu. I'm not a connoisseur of Peruvian cuisine, but this seems to be a creative interpretation of traditional dishes. Fabulous, surprising flavors and textures! Half the time I didn't know what I was tasting but it sure was delicious. Charming little place. A gem.Special Features:
- Great little placeHermanekDined on 7/5/2014The food was great, small dishes, but very tasty. Friendly stuff over all very good experience. We will definitely be back for more...Special Features:
- Great FoodauradeluxeDined on 6/30/2014Excellent Peruvian Fusion. They do some really delicious, innovative dishes and great cevices. The 2 wines paired well (Albarino and light-bodied Portuguese red) and were reasonable. The servers seem to have a bit of an attitude - not a good thing for a Bernal restaurant. But not so bad that I wouldn't recommend the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pricey piqeosOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/21/2014while the food is very good the bill was a bit pricey.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodAnita08Dined on 6/13/2014I love Peruvian food and piqueo's does it very well. We sat at the bar and watching the chefs cooking was a great entertainment! They were fantastic. I have to say though that the service was a little off. The waiters seemed to be confused and running into eachother.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful flavorsRitaDined on 6/3/2014The various Peruvian sauces make each dish shine.Special Features:
- Neighborhood Gem!vintagewisteriaDined on 5/25/2014My friend took me here for dinner the other night for dinner. What a lovely place. I've never done tapas before. So this was VERY new to me. We decided on four plates. Absolutely delicious! My favorite was the Caigua Rellena - over baked Peruvian sweet pepper stuffed with beef piccadillo and melted cheese. So juicy and it melted in your mouth. My friend really loved the Short ribs over mashed potatoes. They were pretty yummy as well. The four cheese mac and cheese was to die for! You're not going to want to share that plate. =) Overall, we have a great experience. We will be returning quite soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaggieVIPDined on 5/13/2014We had another great dinner at Piqueos. Quinoa salad never disappoints. We had the coffee steak, ribs and short ribs. Sounds like a meat night, huh? We are very happy they are in our neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than a neighborhood spotSatisfiedDined on 5/11/2014Piqueos has been a great Peruvian fusion restaurant for years, and hopefully will continue to flourish. The food was fantastic and less expensive than food of similar quality elsewhere. The staff was extremely accommodating. It was Mother's Day, and we'd asked for a table for 6 in a quiet area, and that's what we got - a special table set on the patio. One of our party was 1 1/2 hours late, and the restaurant continued to serve us without trying to rush us out. We'll keep this in mind for special dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good service......Chet78VIPDined on 5/10/2014Me and my husband have eaten at this restaurant several times and have always loved the food. It was a little mismanaged this time as we had to wait 20 mins for a table even after a reservation. But they comp'ed it with two free glasses of wine, so no complaints there. The food overall was good except for the coca cola ribs which were fried this time and hence, were chewy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently greatdarwin96VIPDined on 5/9/2014We live nearby and have eaten at Piqueo probably 10-15 times since it opened. Never dissapoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new fav for Peruvian tapasOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/2/2014Absolutely loved it from the moment we arrived till we left. Small intimate neighborhood gem, friendly service, great food, it's been awhile we have liked a restaurant so much we would want to come back, this one would be it!! The complimentary fried chickpea salad appetizer was a nice touch and good at that. My least favorite was the quinoa encrusted prawns but still good, the short ribs were amazing and the meat so tender and falling off the bone, we started out with the mushrooms, yummie. For drinks I started w a Peruvian beer, nice, but when I saw a sangria go by to another table, decided I'd go for that and glad I did, best sangria I have had in a while. Definitely will be back soon.Special Features:
- excellent Peruvian farejjSFDined on 5/1/2014Well prepared, flavorful Peruvian dishes. Ceviche (tuna> mixto) highly recommended. Lomo saltado also very good. Attentive, friendly service. Ample street parking on Thursday night.Special Features:
- great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/27/2014Hi, Had the steak and baby oct, very good. Thanks to our server for arranging for the kitchen to recook the steak for rare. Awesome service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best Peruvian Cuisine in S.F.!GrayDined on 4/26/2014My wife will be mad at me.....because she likes to keep great restaurants a secret! This was our 2nd visit to Piqueos, the first being well over a year ago. I enjoyed our first visit and had been TRYING to get my spouse to return ever since. Well, after this weekend....I don't have to "coax" her any longer. The menu is diverse, many choices and difficult to choose they are all so interesting. I like the atmosphere, friendly and excellent service....and the FOOD is just fantastic. I haven't eaten at all the Peruvian restaurants in S.F., but I don't see how anything can surpass Piqueos. FYI - We'll be BACK!!Special Features:
- Great findProperDinerDined on 4/24/2014Loved this place! Definitely a neighborhood in Bernal Heights. It is a rather intimate setting however it didn't stop me and my friend from enjoying ourselves. We ordered several tapas to share and a pitcher of sangria. My favorite tapa was the Dungeness Crabcake. That was deelish. The wait staff was warm and attentive. Was a nice time with good wine and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I would go back!ForteDined on 4/11/2014Very interesting ingredients combinations. The ingredients seemed very fresh although it is unclear if which are local, if any, and sustainable and or organic. Excellent flavor and taste of the seafood dishes we tried. One of the two hosts didn't know the ingredients of the dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy, but Yummy!firsttimerDined on 3/28/2014Wine by the glass is pricey, but we enjoyed all of the tapas we ordered: scallops, short ribs, a meat-stuffed relleno, and ahi tuna in a sweet and sour sauce spiked with jalapeno. I loved all the sauces and wished there was some kind of bread to sop them up with. But Peruvians love potatoes more than bread, so had to do the best I could and overcome my desire to lick the plate! It was a packed and noisy Friday night. Kind of ridiculous to have music playing on top of the loud voices (which probably get louder because of the music!) Although tables are very close together, our "neighbors" were very nice and shared their appreciation of their selections. They also were a bit taken aback by the din, but suffered gladly with each bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/27/2014I just went to dinner at Piqueos on Thursday night with two friends who had never been there before. We ordered 4 different tapas dishes that were so delicious. We also ordered two desserts - the chocolate lava cake and the passion fruit panna cota and loved each of those as well. They both mentioned how much they loved the little restaurant and its food. For my family and I, it is definitely our favorite restaurant in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming little spot -original menuMomoDined on 3/26/2014This is the quintessential great neighborhood restaurant. Tiny and charming. A refreshingly different menu with a small, very well chosen wine & spirit list. Everything we ordered had lots of flavor. Overall great food although the pork was a bit over cooked and the sweet pepper a bit hard. Oh, and their Latin music selection was excellent (non of the loud, obnoxious "salsa").Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cortland Ave GemOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/22/2014Love this place; never fails to delight! Will return as often as possible.Special Features:
- Great food, but hello sticker shockNomnomDined on 3/21/2014Service was great, just about everything we ordered was really good, but the $450 price tag was a bit higher than expected. I get it, it's SF prices, but it still seemed a bit high for what we actually consumed. Wouldn't make this my "spot" but certainly a 2x/month treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Exquisite MealRichDined on 3/8/2014Piqueos is a fantastic restaurant with wonderful flavor combinations, different sauces and beautiful presentations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We made a reservation throughOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/7/2014We made a reservation through OpenTable and when we arrived the restaurant told us it was in their system for 15 minutes later. Not a big deal but sort of strange. We went for a walk and came back and were then seated in what appears to be a back deck with makeshift walls, a heating lamp and none of the ambience that the real restaurant possesses. It also smells like mildew in the back room. So, that was really disappointing. Food was tasty but that back room is not suitable in the current condition for diners expecting to be in the restaurant.
- Not a bad dish in the houseSanFranFoodieDined on 3/1/2014We tried about 8 different dishes here and each one was better than the next. This restaurant will not disappoint you. If you're looking for phenomenal food, look no further than Piqueos!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.