129 East 27th Street
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
Contemporary IndianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pippalinyc.com/
- Phone: 212-689-1999x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian, Contemporary Indian
- Executive Chef: Peter Beck
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Upon requested, menu tailor made according to customer specifications.
A word from Pippali
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pippali reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (31)neighborhood gem (28)good for groups (15)great for lunch (14)hot spot (12)special occasion (8)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (4)romantic (4)great for brunch (3)Show More
- Extraordinary food and fun placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/11/2014The food at Pippali is extraordinary. Each dish was beautiful to look at, distinctive in flavor and delicious. It was quite busy, with a good buzz and the staff was working hard and very gracious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely AmazingFoodloverDined on 9/6/2014This restaurant has some of the best Indian food I have ever had. The naan was super fluffy and had just the right amount of butter. Everything was delicious- especially the Chicken Tikka-Masala, which was super creamy and flavorful. The Lamb Biriyani is a must, but only if you can take the heat. Most of the food was fairly hot, but the servers make sure you always have enough water. The Mango Lassi is super good and thick, and works well to quickly extinguish any spice, as some of the dishes have quite a lot of it (especially the Sikh Kabob, which is nevertheless outstanding). All in all, the food was delicious and I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jewel in the CrownMazikVIPDined on 8/30/2014Super-delicious unusual dishes (and the same-old-same-old, if that's what you want) and very attentive service just off ground zero in Curry Hill. Crowded, though, on a Saturday night. Delicious spiced grilled duck on a portobello mushroom/lentil pancake--but equally delicious, perfectly made lamb biryani. Every dish had its own individual herbal and spice notes.Special Features:
- Great foodGaunDined on 8/25/2014Noisy small, rushing waiters, but the food is fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Please avoid if you are IndianyashDined on 8/25/2014We visited the place recently for dinner. Our group showed up late by 20 mins, but it was a monday and they still helped us out. Kudos there. However, every item we ordered was horrible. -Paneer tikka where the paneer was very lightly grilled. needed a bit more there. -Palak Paneer was the worst I have ever tasted. no flavour whatsoever. -Jaipur kofta was basically a bhajiya with gravy on it. If you are Indian and vegetarian, please avoid with a plague. -Lassi was so spicy that it had to be returned -Naan and Roti were not up to grade Just like many other places in NYC (Masala times is another similar place as well), I find a stark difference between indian and non-indian clients at these kind of places. Please avoid if you are Indian.
- Delicious Indian FoodTommyBoyDined on 8/17/2014Hectic check-in and seating process, but once seated the service was fast and friendly -- and the food was great!Special Features:
- Outstanding Indian.Jae5Dined on 8/15/2014My second visit was just a great as the first. Will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeAaronDined on 8/14/2014I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of food, not to mention the service. The salmon was wonderful, as well as the wine. Two glasses of wine and a hearty meal ran only $36! What a deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tinooVIPDined on 8/13/2014Wonderful Dining Experience. One of the better Indian restaurants in the city.Special Features:
- good Briyani, but not as before.lacarteVIPDined on 8/4/2014I had last been here less than a month ago, but this time, less spices, no scrambled eggs, and no longer topped with sliced hard boiled egg. Still tasty and shrimp cooked very tenderly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/1/2014some of the best and most creative Indian food in NYC.Special Features:
- Not greatRogerSVIPDined on 7/25/2014Rather overpriced for average Indian cooking. The samosas were very heavy and doughy. The papdum was greasy. Tandoori chicken was nicely moist but rather flavorless. The chicken roulades were boring. Go down to the East Village for better than this.
- Delicious..OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2014Simply DeeLish. Always look forward to coming here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food's amazing, service hit or missinwinewetrustVIPDined on 7/15/2014Pippali has quickly become my go-to Indian spot, usurping my previous favorite Chote Nawab. The classic Indian dishes are as comforting and delicious as they should be, and the interesting fare - like a seafood dosa and curried lamb shank - are mouth-watering, flavorful and have the perfect combination of spices. The restaurant has gotten popular fast though, and seems to be struggling with keeping up. I went last on a Tuesday with a group of 6 and there were all kinds of delays and in-fighting amongst the staff which is noticeable in a restaurant of their size (it's not huge). It seems like standard growing pains and thankfully the quality of the food has not suffered at all. Highly recommend a visit.Special Features:
- Great food, not great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/14/2014The food was delicious, if a little expensive for what it was. The service was really slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE Best!Rickyon24Dined on 7/12/2014The best Indian food ever. Our party of four had to wait about 20 minutes despite our 8:45 reservation and we almost waked out. Boy, are we glad we waited. We love Indian food and have tried many different places but this place tops them all. Outstanding food and really helpful service. The Sungta Kismuri, the sea bass, the rack of lamb, the Deg Gohst . . . DEEvine! We'll be back, frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is amazingJae5Dined on 7/11/2014I have to say that this is hands down the best Indian in the city. The food is on point, from the seasoning, spice, to the doneness of the rice. Everything was delicious. Will be back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good food, but slow servicebassish101VIPDined on 7/9/2014The food was great. Hari Mirch appetizer, Jaipuri Kofta entree, Tabak Maz entree, and garlic naan were all really flavorful and delicious, with nicely sized portions. The service was a bit cold, and very slow, unfortunately. There aren't that many tables, but my date and I still had to wait almost 30 minutes for them to clear our table and to bring the check after the completion of our meal.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/3/2014Food was excellent! Beet and fig tiki was very good. Chicken with green chillies was soft and flavorful. Kolhapuri chicken was very good as well. Good service and good food. i am sure we will visit again.Special Features:
- Authentic, refined but not tooCoppertopVIPDined on 6/26/2014My new favorite. More refined than most, but not "abstract" or "trying too hard". Amazing tandoori lambchops and poussin (small tender chicken); all the appetizers are terrific. The only disappointing dish is the rice pudding, which is thinner than in most places, the rice texture less pleasant, the spices less intriguing.Special Features:
- Great findNwalDined on 6/25/2014Visited several times now, always consistent and great food and service. We like how they put a twist to standard Indian dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Choice!OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 6/24/2014Not knowing the neighborhood, I chose this from other reviews and it turned out to be a very good choice. The lunch menu isn't that big, but it's filled with specials that provide a very good sized meal at a great price. I had the Chicken Tikka Masala and it was delicious. The service was great and it was a very comfortable atmosphere. If I'm in the neighborhood again, I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great Indian foodcraighcDined on 6/22/2014Living in a rural area, we don't get to eat great Indian food unless we are traveling. We have experienced many Indian restaurants on several continents (alas, not yet in India itself), and can say that Pippali's was one of the best. The restaurant is very attractive, the host and waitstaff friendly and attentive, and the food outstanding and not terribly expensive. Best naan ever (tried the garlic naan and masala naan). Definitely worth a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcoming and DeliciousNYCBasicsVIPDined on 6/11/2014From the second visit to this restaurant the host recognized my partner and I, I have never experienced this ever in NYC. The service is super friendly and the food is amazing, with dishes I have never tried before and better versions of the usual suspects. Do yourself a favor and try it out. I have no interest in trying any other Indian restaurants now that I have discovered Pippali.Special Features:
- Best indian food outside of IndiaLobsterSaladDined on 6/9/2014This was the best indian food I had outside of India. And better than an lot of food I had in India :) The place was packed when we arrived, however our table was available as booked. The waiters were very busy, but attentive. between the two of us shared one starter and two mains, which was more than enough food. Great place, we will go there again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a little better serviceAnna83VIPDined on 6/1/2014The food was decent but nothing mind blowing in taste to make u come back or different to tempt to try other dishes next trip. The decor, location, and waiting staff were good. The only sore note was the rudeness with which the seating / billing manager treated us - we were only the second table that evening though it was crowded by the time we left. He was snotty and rude, and kept reminding us to keep our toddler in the seat (twice) even though we were waiting to use the restroom. Definitely not friendly on parents with kids!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChefwannabeDined on 5/23/2014The food was outstanding! Definitely make a reservation at this neighborhood gem because there aren't many seats and you want one! All the traditional Indian favorites are on the menu and all are delicious. Cocktails are a bit heavy on the booze and light on flavour so stick with beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 47 reviews are from the Pippali reviews archive.
- Not your typical Indian Restaurantdrmichelle432Dined on 5/17/2014What a wonderful surprise to find this unique Indian restaurant. The staff was exceptional and the food was delicious.Special Features:
- Fantastic food, sluggish servicesm86VIPDined on 5/16/2014I've been here twice and the food has been really delicious both times. However, this second time the service was ridiculously slow. It took somewhere between 20-30 minutes after we ordered before we received our appetizer (samosa chaat) which was tasty but only luke warm. Then it took another 20-30 minutes before we got our main dishes. Those at least were hot, including the garlic naan. The jaipuri kofta was my favorite. So, overall, great food but the staff was clearly overwhelmed by how busy the restaurant was (it was Friday night) and unable to keep up. I would still recommend but with the caveat that it would probably be better to go on a weeknight or for lunch. If you do go on a weekend, definitely make a reservation too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PippaliAndyVIPDined on 5/13/2014I have been to Pippali 3 times in the past 4 months. It has never disappointed. The staff is very helpful in making selections. Food is great.Special Features:
- Terrific Food, Really NoisyCATDVIPDined on 5/12/2014Pippali lives up to the rave reviews we found on the web. The menu is unusual, the food is beautifully prepared and tasted terrific. Sadly the service left much to be desired. Slow and inattentive. Maybe we just had a bad waiter. I'll still go back as the food was so unique.Special Features:
- Delicious, Inventive Indian foodAnonVIPDined on 5/12/2014This is some of the best Indian food I have had outside India (and maybe even in India). The Bihari Gohst is tender and flavorful, the Neer Dosa is incredible (those crab claws...), the naan is fluffy and light, and the samosa chaat is spot on. Ask for the waiter's recommendations! The restaurant is still fairly new, and I think they're still figuring out how to handle their demand. We waited for our table for 30 minutes even though we had a reservation, and our food took longer to come out than it did some people who came after us. The staff is great though, they do their best to seat you as soon as they can, are always happy and friendly. They sent us a complimentary desert because of all of the delays, so I can't complain too much!Special Features:
- Great IndianDeadeaVIPDined on 5/3/2014In a neighborhood filled with Indian restaurants, Pippali sets itself apart. The menu, the food and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnonymousVIPDined on 4/25/2014Solid new Indian place. Been here a few times. Would go again.
- Great new findcountrygirlDined on 4/22/2014It was my first time at the restaurant and was very pleasantly surprised. I met a group of friends here and we all were happy with the choice. The service was exceptional. The owner brought us samples of Indian wine (very good), and we shared a bottle of white. Food was great, spicy! Not too noisy. Great location.Special Features:
- Overall GoodMagsDined on 4/19/2014The food and service were good! The staff were friendly and helpful when it came to picking courses from the menu. The price point was perfect for a casual dinner out.Special Features:
- Amazing IndianOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/18/2014I tried Pippali due to my normal Indian place didn't have any open spots. I am so glad I did. Pippalibecause has the typical Indian dishes but also some new inventive dishes that are just incredible. My date got a shrimp curry dish and I got a duck dish. Both dishes were incredible. They were perfectly seasoned and I had no complaints at all. I will definitely be back in the very near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeLicious Indian foodLAfoodieDined on 4/15/2014Wonderful dinner with many menu items not typically found at usual Indian restaurants. My all time favorite Indian place. Large portions too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative IndianWestCoasterDined on 4/10/2014We decided to try this out based on the excellent reviews and were not disappointed. The dishes are very creatively crafted, using styles of cooking favored in different parts of the country, but with a twist that makes them more interesting, fresh and flavorful. Service was excellent and the waiter made recommendations based on the kinds of meats and vegetables that our party of four preferred. We were quite full after the meal and decided to pass on dessert ... so the waiter treated us (no charge) to a small portion of Amarkhand that was delicious and a perfect way to cap the evening. Would definitely go back the next time we are in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been spicierOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/9/2014I had a Thali. Nice variety of dishes. Although the waiter warned about spiciness, it was too mild for my taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.