129 East 27th Street
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
Contemporary IndianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pippalinyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 689-1999
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian, Contemporary Indian
- Executive Chef: Peter Beck
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Upon requested, menu tailor made according to customer specifications.
A word from Pippali
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pippali reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (29)neighborhood gem (28)good for groups (15)great for lunch (11)hot spot (8)special occasion (5)romantic (3)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great Place for Dinner with FriendsSaraDined on 11/20/2014I would recommend this place for foodies who want to grab a bite with friends. Although I went when it was 40 degrees out, the temperature inside was a little too hot, especially considering how spicy Indian food can be. Tables were super close together which caused it to be a bit loud so I wouldn't recommend it for a first date or a romantic anniversary. But food was great and quality for cost was perfect. Great location too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful goumet Indian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2014Best Indian food we ever had. Our waiter was very helpful both for food and drink. We had Kalan (vegetarian curry) and tabak maz both perfectly cooked with wonderful unusual sauces. If I lived in NYC I would go back often.Special Features:
- Fabulous!lauraindcDined on 11/7/2014It's my favorite Indian restaurant in NYC thus far!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On the declineinwinewetrustVIPDined on 11/3/2014I've been going to Pippali since it first opened and absolutely loved the food. Seafood dosa? Amazing. All the regular Indian go-tos were pretty solid too. But the service is getting worse. The staff appears to be frequently overwhelmed, despite the crowd inevitably getting smaller. I'm not as quick to recommend it, as a result.
- A KeeperNativeNYkerDined on 10/27/2014Delicious--everything.Cordial, friendly staff. Not too noisy--could actually have dinner conversations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great new findmicadishDined on 10/26/2014This was the first time we went to Pippali and we will definitely be back. The food was outstanding and the waiter was very helpful without being overbearing. I highly recommend the lamb shank.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch time dealsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/20/2014The lunchtime specials are real deals and the thali platters allow you to sample a wide variety of dishes. We also ordered a tandoori platter, and found all the meats cooked just right, with a nice sauce on the side.Special Features:
- Sit in the window!timmmykVIPDined on 10/17/2014We hadn't been there in months and our watiress remembered us right away. The place gets packed and the food is spot on hip modern Indian cuisine. Love the cocktails and the desserts as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Shrimp BiryanilacarteVIPDined on 10/13/2014Definitely one of the best shrimp Biryani's this side of Manhattan right here in little India! Very tasty and the topped hard boiled / fried egg is back! Must have been a bad day my prior visit. Very tasty and to wash it down with a nice mango lassi! Yum!Special Features:
- Great Indian FoodAaronVIPDined on 10/8/2014I've visited Pippalis on two consecutive visits to New York and both times were great! I ordered Chilean Sea Bass and it was awesome! The spices used are so rich and flavorful. What's more, the waiter also included with my dish okra, which I had never had before, but it was great. On both visits, I was traveling alone on business, so one of the best places for me is the window. Not only is it scenic, but it's easy to find other diners to chat with. This area is a bit cramped with the bar jutting ight up against your back, so it may appear that service is lacking because it can be a bit of a reach for the waiter, but on my second visit, the waiter recognized me, knew of my wine of choice and made me feel extremely comfortable.Special Features:
- Disappointing.....PickyVIPDined on 10/7/2014We were put in a corner and consistently ignored by the staff.... Eventually somebody took our order. The food was good. We asked to take home the leftovers. Three times. When we came home ALL of the 3 dishes were in the same container ....
- Extraordinary food and fun placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/11/2014The food at Pippali is extraordinary. Each dish was beautiful to look at, distinctive in flavor and delicious. It was quite busy, with a good buzz and the staff was working hard and very gracious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely AmazingFoodloverDined on 9/6/2014This restaurant has some of the best Indian food I have ever had. The naan was super fluffy and had just the right amount of butter. Everything was delicious- especially the Chicken Tikka-Masala, which was super creamy and flavorful. The Lamb Biriyani is a must, but only if you can take the heat. Most of the food was fairly hot, but the servers make sure you always have enough water. The Mango Lassi is super good and thick, and works well to quickly extinguish any spice, as some of the dishes have quite a lot of it (especially the Sikh Kabob, which is nevertheless outstanding). All in all, the food was delicious and I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jewel in the CrownMazikVIPDined on 8/30/2014Super-delicious unusual dishes (and the same-old-same-old, if that's what you want) and very attentive service just off ground zero in Curry Hill. Crowded, though, on a Saturday night. Delicious spiced grilled duck on a portobello mushroom/lentil pancake--but equally delicious, perfectly made lamb biryani. Every dish had its own individual herbal and spice notes.Special Features:
- Great foodGaunDined on 8/25/2014Noisy small, rushing waiters, but the food is fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Please avoid if you are IndianyashDined on 8/25/2014We visited the place recently for dinner. Our group showed up late by 20 mins, but it was a monday and they still helped us out. Kudos there. However, every item we ordered was horrible. -Paneer tikka where the paneer was very lightly grilled. needed a bit more there. -Palak Paneer was the worst I have ever tasted. no flavour whatsoever. -Jaipur kofta was basically a bhajiya with gravy on it. If you are Indian and vegetarian, please avoid with a plague. -Lassi was so spicy that it had to be returned -Naan and Roti were not up to grade Just like many other places in NYC (Masala times is another similar place as well), I find a stark difference between indian and non-indian clients at these kind of places. Please avoid if you are Indian.
- Not your typical Indian menunikmilDined on 8/24/2014They have really unique items and everything I had was delicious. Been here twice. Service is great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Indian FoodTommyBoyDined on 8/17/2014Hectic check-in and seating process, but once seated the service was fast and friendly -- and the food was great!Special Features:
- Outstanding Indian.Jae5Dined on 8/15/2014My second visit was just a great as the first. Will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeAaronVIPDined on 8/14/2014I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of food, not to mention the service. The salmon was wonderful, as well as the wine. Two glasses of wine and a hearty meal ran only $36! What a deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tinooVIPDined on 8/13/2014Wonderful Dining Experience. One of the better Indian restaurants in the city.Special Features:
- good Briyani, but not as before.lacarteVIPDined on 8/4/2014I had last been here less than a month ago, but this time, less spices, no scrambled eggs, and no longer topped with sliced hard boiled egg. Still tasty and shrimp cooked very tenderly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/1/2014some of the best and most creative Indian food in NYC.Special Features:
- The following 63 reviews are from the Pippali reviews archive.
- Not greatRogerSVIPDined on 7/25/2014Rather overpriced for average Indian cooking. The samosas were very heavy and doughy. The papdum was greasy. Tandoori chicken was nicely moist but rather flavorless. The chicken roulades were boring. Go down to the East Village for better than this.
- Delicious..OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2014Simply DeeLish. Always look forward to coming here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food's amazing, service hit or missinwinewetrustVIPDined on 7/15/2014Pippali has quickly become my go-to Indian spot, usurping my previous favorite Chote Nawab. The classic Indian dishes are as comforting and delicious as they should be, and the interesting fare - like a seafood dosa and curried lamb shank - are mouth-watering, flavorful and have the perfect combination of spices. The restaurant has gotten popular fast though, and seems to be struggling with keeping up. I went last on a Tuesday with a group of 6 and there were all kinds of delays and in-fighting amongst the staff which is noticeable in a restaurant of their size (it's not huge). It seems like standard growing pains and thankfully the quality of the food has not suffered at all. Highly recommend a visit.Special Features:
- Great food, not great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/14/2014The food was delicious, if a little expensive for what it was. The service was really slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE Best!Rickyon24Dined on 7/12/2014The best Indian food ever. Our party of four had to wait about 20 minutes despite our 8:45 reservation and we almost waked out. Boy, are we glad we waited. We love Indian food and have tried many different places but this place tops them all. Outstanding food and really helpful service. The Sungta Kismuri, the sea bass, the rack of lamb, the Deg Gohst . . . DEEvine! We'll be back, frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is amazingJae5Dined on 7/11/2014I have to say that this is hands down the best Indian in the city. The food is on point, from the seasoning, spice, to the doneness of the rice. Everything was delicious. Will be back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good food, but slow servicebassish101VIPDined on 7/9/2014The food was great. Hari Mirch appetizer, Jaipuri Kofta entree, Tabak Maz entree, and garlic naan were all really flavorful and delicious, with nicely sized portions. The service was a bit cold, and very slow, unfortunately. There aren't that many tables, but my date and I still had to wait almost 30 minutes for them to clear our table and to bring the check after the completion of our meal.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/3/2014Food was excellent! Beet and fig tiki was very good. Chicken with green chillies was soft and flavorful. Kolhapuri chicken was very good as well. Good service and good food. i am sure we will visit again.Special Features:
- Authentic, refined but not tooCoppertopVIPDined on 6/26/2014My new favorite. More refined than most, but not "abstract" or "trying too hard". Amazing tandoori lambchops and poussin (small tender chicken); all the appetizers are terrific. The only disappointing dish is the rice pudding, which is thinner than in most places, the rice texture less pleasant, the spices less intriguing.Special Features:
- Great findNwalDined on 6/25/2014Visited several times now, always consistent and great food and service. We like how they put a twist to standard Indian dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Choice!OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 6/24/2014Not knowing the neighborhood, I chose this from other reviews and it turned out to be a very good choice. The lunch menu isn't that big, but it's filled with specials that provide a very good sized meal at a great price. I had the Chicken Tikka Masala and it was delicious. The service was great and it was a very comfortable atmosphere. If I'm in the neighborhood again, I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great Indian foodcraighcDined on 6/22/2014Living in a rural area, we don't get to eat great Indian food unless we are traveling. We have experienced many Indian restaurants on several continents (alas, not yet in India itself), and can say that Pippali's was one of the best. The restaurant is very attractive, the host and waitstaff friendly and attentive, and the food outstanding and not terribly expensive. Best naan ever (tried the garlic naan and masala naan). Definitely worth a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcoming and DeliciousNYCBasicsVIPDined on 6/11/2014From the second visit to this restaurant the host recognized my partner and I, I have never experienced this ever in NYC. The service is super friendly and the food is amazing, with dishes I have never tried before and better versions of the usual suspects. Do yourself a favor and try it out. I have no interest in trying any other Indian restaurants now that I have discovered Pippali.Special Features:
- Best indian food outside of IndiaLobsterSaladDined on 6/9/2014This was the best indian food I had outside of India. And better than an lot of food I had in India :) The place was packed when we arrived, however our table was available as booked. The waiters were very busy, but attentive. between the two of us shared one starter and two mains, which was more than enough food. Great place, we will go there again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a little better serviceAnna83VIPDined on 6/1/2014The food was decent but nothing mind blowing in taste to make u come back or different to tempt to try other dishes next trip. The decor, location, and waiting staff were good. The only sore note was the rudeness with which the seating / billing manager treated us - we were only the second table that evening though it was crowded by the time we left. He was snotty and rude, and kept reminding us to keep our toddler in the seat (twice) even though we were waiting to use the restroom. Definitely not friendly on parents with kids!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChefwannabeDined on 5/23/2014The food was outstanding! Definitely make a reservation at this neighborhood gem because there aren't many seats and you want one! All the traditional Indian favorites are on the menu and all are delicious. Cocktails are a bit heavy on the booze and light on flavour so stick with beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your typical Indian Restaurantdrmichelle432Dined on 5/17/2014What a wonderful surprise to find this unique Indian restaurant. The staff was exceptional and the food was delicious.Special Features: