Ping by Charlie Chiang's
4060 Campbell Ave
Arlington, VA 22206Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $30 and under
Ping by Charlie Chiang's
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pingbycharliechiangs.com/
- Phone: 7036714900
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Pan-Asian, Chinese
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Ping by Charlie Chiang's
Charlie Chiang’s has been a member of the Greater Washington DC area for over 30 years. Charlie Chiang’s has always served the best food in a generous and hospitable atmosphere. We've had the honor of serving our dishes to President George H. Bush at his inauguration, President Clinton at his reception at the Capitol, visiting international bankers at the annual China Trust Bank dinner, and dignitaries at the Smithsonian’s Diversity of Food program.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ping by Charlie Chiang's reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (19)great for outdoor dining (17)great for lunch (11)good for groups (10)fit for foodies (6)special occasion (6)kid-friendly (5)vibrant bar scene (5)romantic (3)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (2)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Not what we expected.DnA481Dined on 9/6/2014I was disappointed with the food,it wasn't what we expected. Some of the dishes lacked flavor while others didn't taste like the should,not bad just different i.e. BBQ ribs ( appetizer combo) and the chicken fried rice. Also the night we were there, it was noisy but it was Saturday night so maybe another night would have been better.Special Features:
- localellieDined on 9/5/2014The food was good. Service also good. The healthy eats was a nice option. I like th happy hour and weekly specials too.Special Features:
- visit with friendskarenDined on 8/27/2014Fun place , nice waiter, food was really good. We had a half price wine bottle of my favorite wine, lobster sushi was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't go wrong with Ping!BroSoseDined on 8/19/2014Food is consistently good here! You really can't go wrong!Special Features:
- Great for Pre-Theatre DinnerVarnaDined on 8/18/2014With a good variety of Asian cuisine, this Shirlington is perfect for grabbing dinner prior to seeing a show at the Signature Theatre.Special Features:
- large mixed menu, but a bit dirtySue202Dined on 8/17/2014We picked this place since it was one of the few restaurants with a complete weekend lunch menu (versus brunch) next to the Signature Theater and had a mix of Chinese and sushi to satisfy all of us. I liked the smaller plates option, but wished they had more options available. I tried the Little Green Chili Pork - too salty, and the Shiny Slippery Shrimp - tasty sweet and sour. I was impressed by the ambience - so I was surprised to find some rice and sticky food bits on my chair, the table and windowsill - and we were the first ones in there. The server was nice enough to get me an extra napkin, and I switched out chairs. It wasn't enough to send me screaming out of there, but still not something you want to see at a restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Went to dinner on Friday, and arrived earlier than scheduled reservation time, had no problem getting an outdoor seat. The wait staff was very attentive and the restaurant was dog friendly, they brought a bowl of water out for our four legged companion. I strongly recommend the dragonberry (I think that's what it's called) cocktail. The food was decent, and portions were a little on the small side for the price, but the weather and ambiance made it worth it. Great date night idea.Special Features:
- Good food, good serviceDCO3VIPDined on 8/8/2014Nice option for upscale asian food! Noodles are always great, as is the mozz fried rice and appetizers. Service is usually good and staff is very friendly.
- Food was greatMysticrystalDined on 7/31/2014I'm a foodie and they had unusual rolls that were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotALT1VIPDined on 7/23/2014Ping is great ! Food is fun and fresh ! Wine list had been upgraded 1/2 price bottles on Wednesdays ! Good variety of sushi and other Asian. Peking duck is the bomb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/17/2014As always it was a delight. I never have a bad meal here. I live in the neighborhood and keep coming back!Special Features:
- Overpriced but tastyEllisDined on 7/5/2014I have been to PING several times and typically enjoy the crispy beef ($18) but this time decided to have the creamy sesame shrimp ($19). The shrimp was very filling because of the excessive amount of batter on it, but otherwise was very delicious. We went for dinner on a Saturday; it was quiet and the waiter was fine but seemed a little too relaxed. Good food but expensive. We paid about $60 for a meal for two, which didn't include drinks.Special Features:
- If you like fried food...Yummyoryuck1VIPDined on 6/28/2014...this is your place. Horrible, fried food. No fusion here unless fusion is that they make dishes from other countries. I went on Saturday and can still taste my meal. Awful!
- PCCBLoveDined on 6/17/2014Nice Chinese-American restaurant. The ambience is pretty good with indoor and outdoor seating. The bar scene is nice as well. The menu could provide a little more variety, but overall I would give it an A-Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindGreatfindDined on 6/10/2014Our family always likes to try new things and the food at Ping's didn't disappoint. The sushi was outstanding. Don't underestimate the flames next to the menu items. When they say hot, the heat is definitely delivered. Spicy and delicious.Special Features:
- Outstanding and ConsistentJeffVIPDined on 5/27/2014This is our favorite place when we come to Shirlington for Signature Theater. We love the sushi and their favorite rolls. There is always a wine deal and a discount for theater patrons. What's not to like.Special Features:
- The following 327 reviews are from the Ping by Charlie Chiang's reviews archive.
- ConvenientXXXXDined on 5/9/2014A good place for pre-Signature Theatre dining. A little noisy. Food was good but several things were surprisingly sweet.Special Features:
- Disappointed againbeachbillyDined on 5/9/2014This was our second time dining here. The first time, we left before the food was served because it was well over 50 minutes and we had tickets to a show. This time we were seated at a table where the lamp above had no bulb and it was dark. Our party of 6 could not read the menu.. When one of us told the hostess, she said there was nothing she could do. There were other tables available and we were told that they were reserved. When I said something to her, I got the same reply and I asked to see the manager. I was told that he was aware of the problem. When we threatened to leave, they let us move to another table. When we were finished the meal the other party arrived so there wasn't really a problem, just poor management.
- It's okDannyDined on 4/16/2014They have a good set of Happy Hour rotating specials. Food was ok, I was intrigued by the fusion of Cajun and Asian/Japanese selection but I admittedly made the reservation as I was hungry for some Sushi, which was ok. Overall good atmosphere, ok food, prices are ok.Special Features:
- Great FindLee123VIPDined on 3/28/2014We enjoyed ourselves.....come early the parking is challenging.....but the service and the food greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Pre show spotJRivera127Dined on 3/23/2014We went to lunch prior to seeing a matinee at Signature and this was a great spot. Waiter was terrific, food fresh and hot, lot of variety to choose from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ping is out "go-to" restaurantjohnnymaxVIPDined on 3/22/2014It's always consistent, friendly and good. Service is great, the menu is innovative and the ambience is very nice. When my partner and I go to dinner, more than half the time, we choose Ping. We regularly suggest Ping to our friends. Word must be getting around, it was packed this weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PingnjoidxperiencDined on 3/22/2014Good food, nice surroundings. We sat outside as it was getting dark and colder outside (March). We felt a little forgotten for a while by the waiter, but he made it up.Special Features:
- Believe them when they sayCindyVIPDined on 3/21/2014Believe them when they say spicy! Crispy beef really good with nice balance of onions and peppers.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemAlexanderDined on 3/20/2014Ping's is a fantastic find for oriental food....you have to try it...and you will be glad you did!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lunch and dinnerBusinessDinerVIPDined on 3/17/2014I really appreciated the relaxed, friendly atmosphere, classy and comfortable, very fresh and delicious food. We enjoyed truly Asian food -- vegetables and tofu were delicious, rice was perfect, shrimp was the best - very fresh, attractive presentation. Proportions are ideal. Food arrived hot, fresh, prepared just right. Tea was outstanding. (I'm very particular about tea and their tea is incredible!). I highly recommend for dinner as well as lunch. Good spot for special occasions and celebrations. Good spot for business lunches and dinners as well. Wait staff was very friendly, efficient, attentive, and dressed for the holiday at hand. Couldn't be more pleased. I can't wait until I'm back in town so that I can eat at this restaurant again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2014We originally came here thinking "Chinese food" and were very pleasantly surprised by the all the great sushi choices. However, the sushi selections, we all had different ones, were just great, and we would highly recommend them! We are two couples all like good quality food. This restaurant's quality of sushi is very nice; their service was attentive, and their noise level for a conversation with a table by the window was just fine. As this was our first visit to this restaurant (on our way to local Signature Theatre), we are planning to come back in the future.Special Features:
- Rave reviews for Restaurant wk menunickdevignsDined on 3/8/2014Usually my wife and I love gong here for sushi and signature rolls but we decided to try the menu for Restaurant week in March which was the Chef's pick to introduce some New Orleans flare into the entrées. Everything was delicious! From the apps to desert, and you could taste the fusion of Cajun and Asian cuisine. Once again this place does not disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time Ping experienceSImhungryDined on 3/7/2014After many years, my roommate and I finally tried Ping. It was our first time. Food was very good. We tried one of the chef's seasonal dishes. It was probably one of the best dishes I've had in a long time. The chef even came to our table after we ate to ask how we thought of it and if we liked it. Their hot and sour soup was one of the better soups I have had in a while. Sushi was okay, I've had better. Ambiance is nice. It was a little cold in the restaurant, but maybe because we were next to the door. The only other issue, is that it was a bit too dark in the restaurant. We had a hard time reading the menus. They need to brighten it, just a little bit more at night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, as usualChezDianaDined on 3/7/2014This restaurant is consistently good! Now they have added a new chef who is trying new things as well. but they are keeping their regular old, delicious menu. I had the General Tso's chicken and it was the best I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Menu for Mardi Gras!SkylineScottVIPDined on 2/25/2014We were very surprised when visiting for dinner on a random Tuesday evening in late February to find beads and masks decorating the tables and Dixieland Jazz playing in this contemporary pan-Asian fusion restaurant. Mardi Gras was the following week, and Ping was offering a special menu with items created by a guest chef from Louisiana who is old friends with Ping's owner. The Jambalaya Spring Rolls were very imaginative -- and delicious -- as was the Roasted Pork Loin with Pepper Fig Sauce. We also stuck with some of our favorites at Ping: Spicy Tangy Wontons and the Shirlington Roll (sushi). I also tried something new, the Taiwanese Rice Noodles, which were very good. Service was attentive and the bartender gives a generous pour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RB13Dined on 2/22/2014I am not huge on Chinese food, but really enjoyed the food here. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Shirlington gem!DCGALDined on 2/21/2014I have been to Ping several times and have always had a great experience and great food. From the sushi to the new fusion menu choices, this restaurant is a Shirlington gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ths is by far one of my favoriteLadyV23Dined on 2/9/2014Ths is by far one of my favorite restaurants in Arlington (Shirlington); the food is quite delicious; the staff is nice; nicely done!!Special Features:
- Friday night outFLWineGuyVIPDined on 2/7/2014Very yummy food and good service. A local neighborhood gem, and place to go to fulfill that craving for good Chinese food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love hot and spicy foodSpiceLoverDined on 1/25/2014I love hot and spicy food and the Hara Kiri Roll delivered! So much that I had to order another one. The Sake list is great, just make sure you have a designated driver. The table we were seated at had this wierd, out of place, industrial light hanging above the table that you had to duck under to sit down but other than that the decor was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprise gemTiniDined on 1/12/2014We had tickets to a play at Signature Theater on a Sunday afternoon. We were hoping for a traditional brunch. Knowing that Busboys and Poets is always crowded and Carlyle Grand only does same day call ahead, we made reservations at Ping so we would have a back up. Even though it was a bitterly cold day Carlyle and Busboys had incredibly long wait times. We went to our noon reservation at Ping and had an amazing lunch. There is something for everyone. Both exceptional Chinese food and sushi. Our server was outstanding. LOVE LOVE LOVED it!Special Features:
- Great neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/5/2014Was pleasantly surprised by our experience. It was our first time and we had both sushi and some of their regular entrees from the menu. Great location, and very good food. We plan on returning very soon to this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Sunday LunchTKvaDined on 12/29/2013Restaurant was easy to find with nearby garage parking. Staff was friendly and attentive. Food was prepared quickly and very tasty. Expansive menu offers variety for all diners. Interior is warm, well decorated, clean and modern. I will definitely be dining here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big DisappointmentCocoDined on 12/25/2013Went there Christmas evening. My daughter and I were seated quickly to a nice table. Our server was nice but busy and rushed. After placing our order they didn't check on us again until after we finished eating. We finished our sodas after the soup arrived and had empty glasses for the rest of the meal. To their credit they had a lot of tables and the person who brought the food saw our glasses were empty and did nothing about it. The miso soup was good, the sushi rolls weren't properly rolled and fell apart. The General Tso chicken was the biggest disappointment. A $15 platter of plain chicken breast covered in thick orange sauce and garished with two cold uncooked broccoli florets.