Pine Tavern Restaurant
967 NW Brooks Street
Bend, OR 97701Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Pine Tavern Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pinetavern.com/
- Phone: 5413825581
- Hours of Operation:
Fall & Winter Hours 2012
LUNCH Monday - Friday from 11:30am
DINNER Daily from 5pm
HAPPY HOUR 3-6pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Dana Cress
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Oregon Avenue
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: The Downtown Core provides free 2-hour parking for all customers and visitors in the downtown area. The City of Bend operates a ticket dispenser lot 50 yards south of the restaurant. This lot allows for 2-hour free parking and extended parking on a pre-pay basis.
The new Centennial Parking Plaza located at 61 NW Oregon Avenue provides 3-hour FREE parking. Parking is free in all public lots during the evening and weekend hours.
A word from Pine Tavern Restaurant
Piping-hot sourdough scones drizzled with honey butter, tender Prime Rib, delicious dungeness crab cakes, and warm marionberry cobbler a la mode; these are just a few of the signature items you’ll find at the Pine Tavern. With over 70 years of practice, we broil steaks to perfection, prepare delicious soups daily, and provide an array of classics and daily specials using only the freshest, NW Pacific regional ingredients. Come savor the tradition, our warm hospitality, courteous and accommodating service, and unpretentious ambience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Pine Tavern Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Bend ›
Pine Tavern Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
116 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (84)great for outdoor dining (79)special occasion (60)romantic (33)neighborhood gem (33)great for lunch (27)fit for foodies (20)good for groups (20)hot spot (14)kid-friendly (10)late-night find (8)great for brunch (7)notable wine list (7)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- pleasant evening on the patioMiloVIPDined on 9/14/2014We had dinner at an outside table right at the river on time for the sunset. We usually have dinner inside so this was a real treat. We had the hummus appetizer which was varied and very tasty. My wife had the stroganoff and ate all of it. She said it was the best she had ever eaten. I had the fish and chips which was a very good large serving and I couldn't eat all of it. We capped off the evening with a great port and merlot wine.Special Features:
- Party of five Bend nativesBendnativeDined on 9/11/2014First time dining under new owners. Love the place and many memories. The Chicken Marsala didn't have much flavor, the potatoes seemed institutional. The side dish of corn with peppers was the most flavorful but we needed something green with the dish, not more starch. It would be nice to have salad as part of the meal for the price. Of course the scones and honey butter were the food highlight. The other diners in our party thought their meals so- so (stroganoff and pasta dish) except the flat iron steak which was exceptional. Those that ordered drinks were pleased with them.Special Features:
- good food terrible waitressbradleyDined on 9/6/2014Great food but lacking on service, made a reservation waited to be seated over half hour. Understandable about the wait it was busy, told the hostess it was my ten year wedding anniversary but the waitress seemed more interested in the two other couples on either side of us who were clearly older than me and my wife.Special Features:
- Perfect lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014It was a truly memorable experience. The patio was lovely with the flowers and view of the river. I enjoyed spareribs which were nearly perfect.Special Features:
- Dessert was the best.Benddiner59Dined on 9/4/2014The chicken marsala was delicious, although the portion size was only adequate. The pasta Primavera while very good was heavy on the white wine and kale. I think spinach would be a better ingredient. The price was high for what you received. The dessert, Naughty chocolate cake, was incredible! The crayons and paper over the white linen tablecloth was a fun touch. Great place to go and have dessert and coffee. Outdoor dining is incredible! We also met the new owner of the restaurant, Bill, and that is a first. He was gracious and friendly and we had a very pleasant conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointing72countingDined on 9/3/2014Pine tavern has been an icon in Bend for decades. With new ownership it was hoped it would remain so. A few examples. Our table was in direct sun light. Asked for shade to be drawn, told it was broken, no apology. Asked for another table, we were put at the only busy part of the restaurant so our server was slammed. She did an excellent job given what she had. Betsy is the best. Dinner salad too huge and ugly looking, our crab cakes were mushy and tasteless. Our friends rib dish, too huge thrown on a huge bed of French fries. No way to cut the ribs without spilling the fries. Betsy was so busy we had to find someone else to clear our plates. If not for Betsy who is experienced and friendly the evening would have been a bust.
- MinnieDined on 9/2/2014Best fillet ever! Have eaten here many times and will continue to do so. Love dining out in back.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/2/2014Would go back for happy hour small plates & drinks. Disappointed with half of the entrees the 6 of us ordered from the dinner menu.Special Features:
- unhappyunhappyDined on 8/30/2014The prime rib was cold and sent back the beef stroghinoff was tasteless and sent back,, the chowder was pasty, all in all the evening was a bust, after bringing guest from out of town. The mac and cheese was one step over Kraft.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014Food too rich for our taste. If you like lots of spicing and heavy sauces, then this is your place.Special Features:
- Solid but not outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/30/2014Very solid American fare here, though service is lackluster.Special Features:
- DisappointingDaveDined on 8/25/2014Food was good - but not better. Rice was presented as from an upside down small cup. Not fine dining.Special Features:
- Just okJulesDined on 8/24/2014The restaurant was super nice, food was not great. I had a tuna sandwich and it was very dry. Service was good, waiter was friendly. I hope my next visit is better. I love the atmosphere.Special Features:
- Slow ServicebuglemeinDined on 8/23/2014We were seated (party of four) within five minutes by the Hostess. After being seated the waitress was very slow. like 40 minutes before we got our order taken. One of asked for a Fillet Medium well, it was like burnt. Suppose to be 8oz. it was maybe four oz. We asked the waitress if she could turn the A/C down, she said sure, it never happened, it was like 66 degrees in the restaurant!! We have dined here for over 40 years!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CHAT93Dined on 8/22/2014Great location and beautiful scenery for outside dining. However, I find the food over priced for the quality. Need better selection of local micro beers. Having coors lite as the 4-5th choice for on-tap is discraceful for Bend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisapponintedCookSeekingGreatMealDined on 8/18/2014Hit there on the wrong night? My meal (lamb chops, grilled corn, and a baked potato) was good (not extraordinary) and the lamb was cooked as requested. It was reasonably priced. My friend's dinner (petite filet & sides) was overpriced ($31.95) and the meat looked like a small overdone briquette. Our waiter (Max) was either having a very bad night or it was his first night as a wait person. Maybe an under-staffing issue? We had to ask for steak knives, and he actually asked for an explanation! I know this sounds small and petty but I really was disappointed in the meal and service. The outdoor seating in the lovely garden overlooking the river was the nicest part of our evening.Special Features:
- FIRST ANNIVERSARYourfirstanniveraryDined on 8/17/2014I took my beautiful bride he for our first anniversary. It was her first time to the Pine Tavern . We got to sit in back by the trees. what a view out the back . the food was amazing and the service was to notch . what a thunderstorm we got to watch . even had the owner stop by the table and talk with us , nice man . Would recommend the place to anyone who wants to eat at one of Bends finestSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rude hostessDavid4841Dined on 8/17/2014Made reservations via "Open Table". We wanted outside seating and were seated inside even though there were 4 tables open outside. Told we would have to wait back up front. Caprese salad was suppose to be an entree but was the size of appetizer at other restaurants. Usually a good place to dine but must have got them on a bad day.Special Features:
- Birthday DisappointmentCre8iveLeoDined on 8/13/2014Selected this restaurant specifically for my birthday celebration, as it's been a favorite for years. Found out while on our way that it was recently sold and bought by a former chain restaurant owner...translation = we'll be changing Pine Tavern to be just like McCormick's! Had a waiter that was obnoxious, promised a complimentary dessert for my birthday, yet ended up charging us for it (didn't notice it until after we paid the bill, which was unfortunate), then realized that he included a 20% tip for a party of 4, which was NOT cool...his service didn't equal a 15% tip, let alone a self-added 20% tip. We won't be returning...we'll find another Bend place for our go-to restaurant for special occasions. So long Pine Tavern!
- bestemorDined on 8/12/2014Food not as good as have had in the past but I probably did not order one of the better items on the menu (pasta pomodoro)Special Features:
- ok dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014Out of alot of idems at 5:30 pm. salmon dinner very small portions, service ok had to ask more than once for butter etc. pasta temp cool.Special Features:
- Gets BetterjustjimDined on 8/7/2014We come to the Pine Tavern each summer when we vacation at Black Butte Ranch. We have never been disappointed and it seems to get better each time. Really good food. Very nice view after the sun is down. Service was excellent as usual. Bend is fun and funky; the Pine Tavern is classy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/7/2014The outdoor patio on a summer day is gorgeous. However the food is mediocore. The server completely forgot to bring us the soups we ordered. We wondered why there was a long wait from the appetizer for our soups. The next thing we know the entrees arrived. We waited so long we passed on the soups all together. Then the duck was overcooked. The chef admiited to a poor job on the duck and kindly replaced the duck and the second go round was better. Go for the ambience and a glass of beer or wine but not for dinner.Special Features:
- excellent experienceExcellentDined on 8/6/2014Excellent food excellent service and overall excellent experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late lunch was worth the tripVinoVerdureVealVisaDined on 8/6/2014Drove 30 miles to have a late lunch at this iconic Bend, Oregon restaurant. Was not disappointed, even though we arrived near the end of the lunch hour. Tried the kale salad -- very satisfying, and not overseasoned. Waiter was patient, but not intrusive and made sure we got our desserts, even though we were well beyond the lunch hour when we finally got to dessert and coffee. Views of the Deschutes River out the rear window were serene and as I remembered from many years ago. New ownership seems to be rejuvenating the menu and working to make this a "go to" restaurant once more. I'll be back.Special Features:
- pine tavernengagementcelebrationDined on 8/5/2014this was our 2nd time to dine at Pine Tavern - we enjoyed our dining experience. Food was great - servings quite large Waite staff was wonderful. Wish we lived closer so we would be able to dine there more often!!Special Features:
- New Pine TavernBendquilterDined on 8/3/2014Was hoping that with the new owner, the Pine Tavern would be brought back to being a good restaurant. But, this is not the case. The food was not very good. The service was very poor. Too bad as it is a great location
- At a conferenceTomthetaxguyDined on 8/2/2014Great find, the food was great, staff great, would go back again!Special Features:
- horrible service!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014We were sat outside with sun in our face. When we asked our waitress for a table in the shade she told us we would have to ask someone else. Finally we asked another waiter he moved us. The salad was warm the food was noth worth the 70.00 bucks at All. Really disappointed with our anniversary dinner. We wont be back!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014Everything was great. Great service. Only two comments. One, if the dinner order is taken too soon after the drinks order, and the customer asks that time be allowed to enjoy the cocktails before the meal arrives, then delay submitting the order in the kitchen or something else to honor that request. 2. The beef stroganoff was outstanding except the meat was overcooked. Otherwise great noodles and sauce.Special Features:
- It was very good. Love the food.VanuatuGirlDined on 7/19/2014I'm glad the tradition of the Pine Tavern continues even under new ownership. Only complaint about our recent Saturday night visit was that it was very slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jimmy JamJimJamDined on 7/17/2014Julie and her wait staff were exceptional. What a great way to spend my 5th anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014As usual, everything was excellent. Had a great time!Special Features:
- Great food - BUT!SantaInBendDined on 7/16/2014We made a reservation for four. We were having a rare dinner with our son and his girlfriend - a special occasion. After waiting for 20 minutes since the waiter had brought us water and scones and took our beverage orders, I finally flagged down a hostess who graciously took our order. Our waiter had seemingly evaporated. Five minutes after we placed our orders, the waiter finally reappeared to 'see if we were ready to order'. I informed him that we had placed our order a few minutes earlier but would love some more scones in the interim. He assured us that he would 'bring those right out.' Again, he evaporated. This pattern was repeated throughout the evening. Broken promises and TERRIBLE wait service - but good food.Special Features:
- JacksonJacksonVIPDined on 7/14/2014Probably a bad waiter situation. Wife and I first saw waiter and got waters 15 minutes after seated. Order then to avoid delay. Salad mix-up but corrected. Finished salads and waited. And waited. Waiter swooped in, picked up empty plates and bolted. Never saw waiter again. 1 hour 15 minutes in to 'dinner', no entree yet. Had to leave. As we approached front door, briefly explained situation to employee and asked where I could pay for what we had. She insisted I see manager. Explained situation to manager. Accurately told her hadn't seen waiter for last 20 minutes. Her attitude was 'what is your problem'. Told us not to pay. Glad to leave.
- SO DisappointedjunglechefDined on 7/14/2014We go to Pine Tavern each time we visit the Bend area and each time look forward to something good that we had from the menu on our previous visit. This time we had spent our drive up reminiscing about the fabulous fresh Dungeness crab cakes we had had the year before with a perfectly dressed little arugula salad. This year we ordered them with great expectations and were horrified and dismayed at what was set down before us. Our ideal crab cakes were horrible. On each plate were two identical cakes; one burnt, dry and an odd orange color, and the other pale, undercooked and cold in the center. Our sweet little arugula salad was overdressed, smothered in shredded cheese and hastily thrown on the plate seemingly as an afterthought. UghSpecial Features:
- Piine Tavern RocksSuperSquatchDined on 7/9/2014I enjoyed the bar, my meal and my wife. 3 for 3. :)Special Features:
- Has been betterKelelaDined on 7/9/2014We have eaten here many times before and had excellent dinners but this night was different. Waiter was trying a little too hard to be friendly and ended up forgetting our salads. My salmon was overdone and I had some kind of allergic reaction to something in the sauce. He did comp us a berry dessert which was quite good but don't think we will go back soon.Special Features:
- Special nightgwhzinoregonDined on 7/7/2014lived in central Oregon 14 years but never been here before - Went for our anniversary. We thoroughly enjoyed the food and were treated very special. Our waitress was excellent and very attentive. Thank you for making a special day even more specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KathyDined on 7/6/2014Excellent food and service in a beautiful setting! Clean and friendly. Looking forward to another visit!Special Features: