790 8th Avenue
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pigallenyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 489-2233
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 11:30am
Saturday & Sunday: 6:30am - 10:00am
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 12:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Geoffrey Bruijneel
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Our executive chef has crafted multiple menus to accommodate every event. Wether it is buffet or family style, a sit down dinner, or breakfast and lunch boxes on the go we will work with you to fulfill your request and specifications. Our fully stocked bar plays host to many varieties of spirits and specialty cocktails. Not to be outdown is our extensive wine list which features wines from around the world.
- Cross Street: Corner of 48th street and 8th avenue
- Public Transit: The C or E trains to 50th street The 1 or 9 trains to 50th street. The N or R trains to 49th street.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Closest parking garage to Pigalle is at 49th street and 8th avenue. Additional parking available at 49th between 8th and 9th avenues and 50th street between 8th and broadway.
A word from Pigalle
A throw back to the 1950's, this authentic Paris cafe in the heart of New York theater district on Eighth Avenue will not only seduce you with its elegant charm and quiet ambiance but will take you to Paris with all its delights. Inside the restaurant, a zinc top bar circles from the main dining room to the cocktail lounge. White,green and gold ceramic tiles line the wall behind the bar leading to a glass enclosed wine room. The main dining area has saffron colored walls, a pastel terracotta tiled floor, and antique mirrors along the ceiling. Wide cylinder shaped sconces form a circe overhead while wall sconces cast a soft glow throughtout the room. Colorful rattan furniture line the front of the room to create a casual cafe feel. Rows of light wood French doors open Champs Elysees style onto the sidewalk of people watching pedestrian at this busy cross section of theater land. This loving re-creation touches all the visual and culinary bases. The essence of a French bistro.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pigalle reviews from OpenTable diners
78 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (26)great for lunch (26)fit for foodies (18)great for brunch (15)good for groups (15)notable wine list (11)special occasion (10)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (7)romantic (7)vibrant bar scene (4)hot spot (4)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- PickyDinerDined on 11/21/2014Located in the Theater District, so expectations were not high. But this was a surprise! The Duck Breast was cooked to perfection, and the Cobb Salad was very original in that it did not have bacon, but "lardons" or bits of pancetta that were just delicious! Very nice dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK food, so-so serviceBklndfVIPDined on 11/21/2014I was disappointed with our trip to Pigalle. Some food--the ravioli, for instance--was good, but some--the roast chicken was dry and clearly (badly) reheated. Worse than that, though, was the service. Our waitress was only occasionally around, our water was never refilled, and, because the tables are jammed so close together, every time a plate was cleared the person bussing the table was nearly leaning on one of us. Yes, at the end of the meal, after I mentioned the water and the rest, our waitress tried to make up for the rest of the service, but I would be very wary about going there again.
- TraumamdVIPDined on 11/21/2014The food was good, nothing great but for that area was fine.I would recommend this to a friend.
- good location for theaters.angelDined on 11/20/2014Good location if your going to the theater. Menu was limited, food was OK. Nothing special would probably not go back. We like to try different restaurants, but we do have favorites that we return too.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedSeabirdVIPDined on 11/20/2014I've dined many times at sister restaurant Marseille, so I was expecting the same from Pigalle. Not so. While service and location were good for pre-theater, the quality of food was mediocre at best. The pate was...questionable as being pate. Both my and my friend's meal were drowning in the same sauce, though two different dishes. I had a mass of undercooked beans and overdone freezer fries, while my friend had underdone duck and limp veggies. We skipped dessert, for we knew it wouldn't be worth it. I had chosen the restaurant, and I was actually embarrassed at having made this choice. I should have known right away what we were in for when we received the dead giveaway...the little packets of pre-wrapped butter. Really?
- PIgalle is one of my favorite restaurantsjohnnyDined on 11/19/2014When I'm in the city, I love to dine at Pigalle. The menu is perfect for me and the specials are always enticing. The service is also top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Good French BistroEddietheEaterVIPDined on 11/19/2014Our lunch at Pigalle reminded us of being in Paris. The food was easily equal to, or better than, all of the bistro/cafés we have dined at in New York City. What's more, the pricing made it an excellent value as well. My skirt steak was well-seasoned and sauced, tender and served with crispy French fries and fresh string beans. My wife commented that her salmon was perfectly cooked and delicious. We also shared a marvelous frisee salad with lardons and poached egg. This is a classic French dish, expertly prepared, and really delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealStellaVIPDined on 11/18/2014My husband and I enjoyed our meal. Vanessa was our waitress she was wonderful. Looking forward to dining with you again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarcieVIPDined on 11/18/2014Great pre theatre meal. Service was attentive but not rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pigalle is a go-to choice pre or post theater.ToastyDined on 11/15/2014The food is fun French Bistro. Moderate sized, but interesting wine list, with a wide range of price points. An excellent beer list featuring many abbey ales. This is one of the few places where I trust the steak tartare. Have it. You only live once. The last time we were there, the Dorade and the Duck Confit were both excellent. And, if you just want to have something cheesy and delectable, have a Croque Monsieur.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pigalle, Paris in New York!Terryrn63Dined on 11/15/2014We ate dinner at Pigalle before a Broadway show and were even able to be seated 1 hr earlier than our reservation, even though the restaurant was busy and full of conversation. Service was prompt with a french flair and atmosphere. Seating was close but comfortable.The bistro crab cake was delicious as an appetizer, as were our entrees of grilled salmon and seared duck breast. A half bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon complemented the meal delightfully. Dessert topped it with apple and raisin bread pudding with rum ice cream and hot coffee. We definitely recommend Pigalle!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food and Ambience in Theatre District BistroWestyDined on 11/14/2014French bistro that is a very nice setting for lunch in the theatre district area. Varied menu will please all.Special Features:
- lunch for 8 of us was perfectStonesgirl82Dined on 11/12/2014All lunch entrees were delicious and reasonably priced. Convenient for pre-theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good overall, until my coat was drenchedtad1232000VIPDined on 11/11/2014Pretty good overall, until my coat was drenched with beer from a new training employee. That is fine, but you think that the manager or someone would have checked into this rather than wait for us to ask about this. There was a lot of clumsiness that night.
- SandyVIPDined on 11/10/2014My food was great and one of my companions did not like her choice,so they took it back and gave her a replacement without charge, which I found remarkable. Our waitress was very helpful and pleasant.Special Features:
- Great Spot for Great FoodAuthenticDined on 11/8/2014This restaurant offers all of the traditional French comfort foods, from Cassoulet, Moules Frites, Croques Monsieur...but also elegant delicious dishes such as the Seared Duck (with beautiful side/seasonal vegetables). We dine at Pigalle almost every time we spend a nice day in Manhattan, visiting Central Park, museums etc. It ends our visit with a wonderful meal with very good service. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- LizzyDined on 11/7/2014Had a 615pm reservation which was plenty of time to get to our theatre around the corner. Felt very rushed. Drinks took 10 minutes to get to our table. Waitress was clearly overwhelmed. My steak au poivre was tiny!!! At $29 I was not happy.
- Pre-theatre disasterTheatregoerDined on 11/7/2014You would think that A restaurant in the theater district would know how to handle a pre-theater crowd. We had a 615 reservation on Friday night and had to get the theater by 8 o'clock. It took forever to get waited on, there was only one waitress for the entire side room, and it took forever to get the food. The food is fine, the people are nice, the room is pleasant, but come on! We had to rush out without time for dessert or coffee just to make our curtain.
- Good Theater District BrasserieStringsriderVIPDined on 11/7/2014Pigalle is a good choice for a pre-theater dinner, with solid a solid brasserie menu (roast chicken, frisee salad, soups, mussels, etc.). The service is always friendly and unpretentious. The restaurant also has a respectable wine list, and some good beers. A good value for the money in a neighborhood in which there are many overpriced, and mediocre, places to eat.Special Features:
- Good Food and Good ServiceredwriterDined on 11/5/2014We had a 6:00 reservation and were heading to an 8:00 show nearby, (the restaurant did not know that, however). The appetizer and the meal came so fast, we had an hour to kill before the show started! The restaurant was almost full, but no one was waiting, so not sure why the swift service. If I have to give a negative thought, it would be just that the food came too fast for us to enjoy a leisurely dinner before our show. The wine list was nice and moderately priced for NYC.Special Features:
- A good old stand-by going downhilldancingfoodieVIPDined on 11/3/2014I've enjoyed Pigalle for years because of its convenient location in the Theater District, its French bistro ambiance and good service, as well as above-average food that's reasonably priced. On this visit, the prices had gone up and my dish was mediocre. I had mussels without enough garlic or salt. Their broth was tasteless. I will give Pigalle one more try with a different food choice, but if it's not better, won't return.Special Features:
- pre- theatre dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014We ate dinner here prior to attending play performance. It was not noisy,great food and thatre short short walk right around corner. Could not have had a better experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ...Brunch...?ServerWhoDinesDined on 10/26/2014Made an 11am Sunday Brunch reservation with my Dad. Walk in & there's a breakfast buffet instead of the usual bar set-up. Lots of tourists, sort of feels like a hotel lobby meal. Seated right away with Breakfast Buffet menu. Waiter doesn't greet us for about 10 min, when he finally comes over he doesn't say hi, just asks us if we're ready. Website says that Brunch begins at 10am, but server tells us full Brunch menu isn't available until 11:30am. I tell him about the website, he just sort of shrugs. He then ignores us for another 15 min, by that time we tell him we might as well wait for Brunch to actually start. He hands us 1 Brunch menu to share. Wait another 10 min to order. Wait another 30 for a sandwich & salad. The food was meh.
- Love this place!philosopherVIPDined on 9/10/2014The more I eat dinner at Pigalle the more I like it. The food is French and very good, with just the type of variety and appetizers that I enjoy. The wine list is excellent with numerous French red and white wines, with reasonable prices for wines by the glass as well. The food came out just as I had ordered it, and when I wanted an after-dinner wine that was listed by the bottle only, I received a glass of it at a reasonable price. It was a very satisfying meal!!Special Features:
- My second time therejohnnyDined on 8/29/2014I've been to Pigalle twice now. Both times alone, as I was in the city alone. I never felt alone while dining. The staff is ever attentive. It's a gem. And the food. First of all, I had a hard time deciding what to have. There are so many incredible options. My meal was out of this world good. I can't wait to return and bring family or friends so they can experience the fabulous place that is Pigalle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Viv PigaleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014A gem of a restaurant. Food very French. Had the Cassoulet and it was as good as I have eaten in France. Highly recommend this place! Ken GSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theater BistroDelishDined on 8/26/2014First night in NYC and a 7pm show meant an early dinner. We discovered this place on the same block as our theater and gave it a try. The happy hour was building and we were given a window table right away. The wait staff was efficient and pleasant, delivering our selections in a timely bit not rushed manner. We enjoyed sharing a house special pâté and our entres were delicious. We even indulged in some dessert and left with a good meal and warm experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pre-theatre spotmakinreservationsDined on 8/20/2014Used to go to Marseille, but our last experience there was so dreadful we won't go back. Pigalle did not disappoint. Fabulous salad with perfectly cooked seared scallops. Good fixed price menu too. This is my new go-to dining spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a good choiceHappyVIPDined on 8/9/2014Not among my favorite places to eat at. Did not care for the choices on the menu and the salmon I was served was small and tasteless, asked for a second vegetable instead of mashed potatoes and was charged $2.00 it. Vegetables were drowning in oil or butter or both. We did not even stay for coffee or dessert. Did not like where we were seated and had to change tables. Would not recommend this restaurant to anyone.
- dtypical french bistroForeignfoodieDined on 8/7/2014I ate there by myself and sat my the window with my kindle. Although it took awhile to take my order, the wait staff was more attentive after that. The waitress wasn't that familiar with the menu and I was looking for a charcuterie and cheese platter.she said they were small so I ordered the cassoulet which was mostly white beans. Tasty dish though. I then ordered the cheese platter and it was large and delicious. It had four cheeses and three were excellent.it also had a small salad and grapes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theater prepValueSeekerDined on 8/6/2014Went for restUrant week but this would have been quite affordable anyway. Service was not great because you have to flag waitstaff down to get served. But delicious and great location for theater goers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousGoodfoodonlyDined on 8/5/2014Escargot was delicious. Cassoulet was tasty though the duck leg with it had less meat than it should have. Service was good, pricing as expected. Not the trap one would expect in the theatre district.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and French inspiredGot2BeDined on 8/4/2014The french decor is lovely. Fun lunch spot and wonderful mussels and frites!Special Features:
- unimpressedkstockDined on 8/3/2014This is my first review that is less than favorable. The room was large and too loud a noise vloume. I suspected that my wine is diluted. The photo on open table represent a more intimate setting. We intended to have a meal but instead opted for a drink and an appetizer. This restaurant was not what we expected and a disappointment.
- Reliable Restaurant Near TheatersHappycoupleDined on 8/1/2014Food here is good. Service this trip was average. Close to the theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible serviceTrondVIPDined on 7/31/2014Date and I had a less then ideal dining experience. We felt totally neglected by our server. Frequently, we had to awkwardly reach around to pour our own white wine. We were desperate to leave by the end and our waiter aggressively pushed dessert. Once we politely declined, he rushed away and tried to clear our wine glasses despite us having a quarter bottle left. Do not recommend this place.
- Good choice4girlsoutDined on 7/30/2014Went early so had a choice of seating. Dinner was well paced, we were left to enjoy our conversation and the wine ( a very good malbec). Service was good, so was every thing we ordered. Apart from the construction on the Avenue the noise level was tolerable. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYC VisitorOutTonightVIPDined on 7/29/2014It was a great place to go before attending a play nearby. We were here for NYC Restaurant Week and were not disappointedSpecial Features:
- New York busy, deliciousMargotLeeDined on 7/29/2014My husband and I ate at Pigalle before the theatre since the location was perfect and we had had enjoyable dinners there before. While I am glad we were seated near the wide-open doors on a summery, sunny afternoon, the road construction outside made it much more noisy than usual. However, we were still easily able to talk and listen to each other across the table as we enjoyed some tasty meals (my husband had the NY restaurant week prix fix) and mellow, delicious beer and wine. Our server was polite, knowledgeable and attentive and made sure we had plenty of time to relax, eat, and yet get to Cabaret with lots of time to spare. Thank you, Pigalle, for your consistently excellent food and service.Special Features:
- The following 113 reviews are from the Pigalle reviews archive.
- handelhousDined on 7/26/2014the food was excellent and the waiter very kind, recognizing that he had made a mistake in our order.Special Features: