790 8th Avenue
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pigallenyc.com/
- Phone: 2124892233
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 11:30am
Saturday & Sunday: 6:30am - 10:00am
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 12:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Geoffrey Bruijneel
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Our executive chef has crafted multiple menus to accommodate every event. Wether it is buffet or family style, a sit down dinner, or breakfast and lunch boxes on the go we will work with you to fulfill your request and specifications. Our fully stocked bar plays host to many varieties of spirits and specialty cocktails. Not to be outdown is our extensive wine list which features wines from around the world.
- Cross Street: Corner of 48th street and 8th avenue
- Public Transit: The C or E trains to 50th street The 1 or 9 trains to 50th street. The N or R trains to 49th street.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Closest parking garage to Pigalle is at 49th street and 8th avenue. Additional parking available at 49th between 8th and 9th avenues and 50th street between 8th and broadway.
A word from Pigalle
A throw back to the 1950's, this authentic Paris cafe in the heart of New York theater district on Eighth Avenue will not only seduce you with its elegant charm and quiet ambiance but will take you to Paris with all its delights. Inside the restaurant, a zinc top bar circles from the main dining room to the cocktail lounge. White,green and gold ceramic tiles line the wall behind the bar leading to a glass enclosed wine room. The main dining area has saffron colored walls, a pastel terracotta tiled floor, and antique mirrors along the ceiling. Wide cylinder shaped sconces form a circe overhead while wall sconces cast a soft glow throughtout the room. Colorful rattan furniture line the front of the room to create a casual cafe feel. Rows of light wood French doors open Champs Elysees style onto the sidewalk of people watching pedestrian at this busy cross section of theater land. This loving re-creation touches all the visual and culinary bases. The essence of a French bistro.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pigalle reviews from OpenTable diners
95 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (39)great for lunch (32)fit for foodies (28)great for brunch (22)good for groups (17)late-night find (12)special occasion (12)notable wine list (11)vibrant bar scene (9)romantic (7)kid-friendly (7)hot spot (3)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (3)Show More
- Viv PigaleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014A gem of a restaurant. Food very French. Had the Cassoulet and it was as good as I have eaten in France. Highly recommend this place! Ken GSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theater BistroDelishDined on 8/26/2014First night in NYC and a 7pm show meant an early dinner. We discovered this place on the same block as our theater and gave it a try. The happy hour was building and we were given a window table right away. The wait staff was efficient and pleasant, delivering our selections in a timely bit not rushed manner. We enjoyed sharing a house special pâté and our entres were delicious. We even indulged in some dessert and left with a good meal and warm experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pre-theatre spotmakinreservationsDined on 8/20/2014Used to go to Marseille, but our last experience there was so dreadful we won't go back. Pigalle did not disappoint. Fabulous salad with perfectly cooked seared scallops. Good fixed price menu too. This is my new go-to dining spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a good choiceHappyDined on 8/9/2014Not among my favorite places to eat at. Did not care for the choices on the menu and the salmon I was served was small and tasteless, asked for a second vegetable instead of mashed potatoes and was charged $2.00 it. Vegetables were drowning in oil or butter or both. We did not even stay for coffee or dessert. Did not like where we were seated and had to change tables. Would not recommend this restaurant to anyone.
- dtypical french bistroForeignfoodieDined on 8/7/2014I ate there by myself and sat my the window with my kindle. Although it took awhile to take my order, the wait staff was more attentive after that. The waitress wasn't that familiar with the menu and I was looking for a charcuterie and cheese platter.she said they were small so I ordered the cassoulet which was mostly white beans. Tasty dish though. I then ordered the cheese platter and it was large and delicious. It had four cheeses and three were excellent.it also had a small salad and grapes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theater prepValueSeekerDined on 8/6/2014Went for restUrant week but this would have been quite affordable anyway. Service was not great because you have to flag waitstaff down to get served. But delicious and great location for theater goers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousGoodfoodonlyDined on 8/5/2014Escargot was delicious. Cassoulet was tasty though the duck leg with it had less meat than it should have. Service was good, pricing as expected. Not the trap one would expect in the theatre district.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unimpressedkstockDined on 8/3/2014This is my first review that is less than favorable. The room was large and too loud a noise vloume. I suspected that my wine is diluted. The photo on open table represent a more intimate setting. We intended to have a meal but instead opted for a drink and an appetizer. This restaurant was not what we expected and a disappointment.
- Reliable Restaurant Near TheatersHappycoupleDined on 8/1/2014Food here is good. Service this trip was average. Close to the theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible serviceTrondVIPDined on 7/31/2014Date and I had a less then ideal dining experience. We felt totally neglected by our server. Frequently, we had to awkwardly reach around to pour our own white wine. We were desperate to leave by the end and our waiter aggressively pushed dessert. Once we politely declined, he rushed away and tried to clear our wine glasses despite us having a quarter bottle left. Do not recommend this place.
- Good choice4girlsoutDined on 7/30/2014Went early so had a choice of seating. Dinner was well paced, we were left to enjoy our conversation and the wine ( a very good malbec). Service was good, so was every thing we ordered. Apart from the construction on the Avenue the noise level was tolerable. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYC VisitorOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/29/2014It was a great place to go before attending a play nearby. We were here for NYC Restaurant Week and were not disappointedSpecial Features:
- New York busy, deliciousMargotLeeDined on 7/29/2014My husband and I ate at Pigalle before the theatre since the location was perfect and we had had enjoyable dinners there before. While I am glad we were seated near the wide-open doors on a summery, sunny afternoon, the road construction outside made it much more noisy than usual. However, we were still easily able to talk and listen to each other across the table as we enjoyed some tasty meals (my husband had the NY restaurant week prix fix) and mellow, delicious beer and wine. Our server was polite, knowledgeable and attentive and made sure we had plenty of time to relax, eat, and yet get to Cabaret with lots of time to spare. Thank you, Pigalle, for your consistently excellent food and service.Special Features:
- handelhousDined on 7/26/2014the food was excellent and the waiter very kind, recognizing that he had made a mistake in our order.Special Features:
- B123Dined on 7/26/2014Very noisy. The service was beyond bad. Never a water or coffee refill. Waiter had no clue about the job.
- Very noisySoozDined on 7/26/2014Even our server could not hear. We had to shout our for requests. Stressful ordering but great bistro. Just prepare that bistros are noisy because of the floor and ceiling and glass wall - acoustics create noise in addition to the people enjoying themselves. Great place tho. I'll come when less crowded so it's less noisy.Special Features:
- Great for pre-theaterEtonOutDined on 7/25/2014Food was excellent. Friendly staff. Windows open to sidewalk give feeling of dining outdoors, but with benefit of air conditioning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ParisRaymundoVIPDined on 7/25/2014Fabulous. Felt, and tasted like we were back in Paris. Loved the open to the sidewalk atmosphere as much as the food and service. Looking forward to our next return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYC Restaurant WeekClamdiggersDined on 7/23/2014Enjoyed an after-theater dinner from the NYC Restaurant week menu. Substituted the French Onion soup for the available appetizers and were so pleased. Best Onion Soup EVER! Our entrees (the Pork Tenderloin, and the Seared Scallops) were great! But the "pièce de résistance" was the crepes!!!! Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BlahKat77056Dined on 7/20/2014We had brunch on Sunday at this restaurant and was deeply disappointed by everything. The service was awful and the food was something that a child could whip up. It seems to us it was just a place that catered to tourists that don't mind eating the worst French food or don't know better. The service was extremely slow and even just getting drinks took a stroke of luck.
- cantabrigian1Dined on 7/17/2014Fantastic restaurant. The food is always great and the staff is helpful and friendly.Special Features:
- Good pre-theater dinnerHerbbobDined on 7/12/2014Wait service was excellent. Her first question was were we going to a show and what time does it start. Food was very tasty and prepared to the doneness requested. However, the portion sizes were a little on the small size consideration the price. For example, $29 for a 9 oz. sirloin au poirve. Otherwise an overall enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service were unimpressiveALamVIPDined on 6/29/2014I had rather high expectations for Pigalle as I've been to other restaurants owned by the same restaurant group. Pigalle has that lovely French bistro ambiance, and with the World Cup on in one room, it definitely felt like you were in Paris and not in the theater district in NY. The service, however, left much to be desired. Water and drink glasses went empty until we flagged down the waiter to ask for a second drink and more water. The food did not fare much better. I ordered a burger cooked medium, but it arrived past well done, with no taste besides burnt meat. My husband ordered the steak tartare, and it didn't look freshly prepared. We also had to add in salt and pepper to try to make up for the lack of any other flavor.Special Features:
- Third timeAndiDined on 6/27/2014Really good food and service, a bit too noisy, but New Yorkers don't mind this. Really great service and will return when in NYC againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food & menu choicesLiz6843Dined on 6/22/2014Three of us enjoyed the chopped salad, pasta ala Norma, & a pizza for lunch. The restaurant was almost empty at 1:30 on a weekday but your best bet is to try for the middle room rather than the big back room in which we were seated. The big back room is spacious, bright & airy, but also seemed to have a few diners with children. The noise from the children was amplified throughout the big room & we were happy to have them leave for some peace & quiet. Next time I'll request the middle room which seemed to be for business lunchers & quiet twosomes. Food was excellent and prices were really very reasonable, especially given this perfect location. Nicest decor of any restaurant on 8th St.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkKarenVIPDined on 6/21/2014Great atmosphere and convenient pre-theater location. Delicious baked Camembert appetizer on prix fixe menu. The rest of the meal was prepared well but not all that special, and the service was extremely slow, not in a way that encourages dining but as in neglect.Special Features:
- EmbarrassingEasyoneDined on 6/21/2014Brought friends and we all were disappointed in food quality and we all ordered different entries. Service was similarly poor, waitress never asked whether we liked our meals. Will never return.
- Theatre district gemRustyztwoDined on 6/19/2014Very enjoyable meal with above average food and service.
- ConsistentMicheleDined on 6/18/2014The food is consistently good. Every time I've gone, everyone I'm with has always liked their meal. The menu has fun options. This last time, the service was the pits. Our server kept forgetting to bring me a drink, was neglectful and then totally messed up two orders. But overall, the place is great so I'll just make sure never to sit in that servers sectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SWJKPADined on 6/14/2014Once again, Pigalle did not disappoint! Since it was a beautiful, summer afternoon in NYC, the French doors were open to allow a view of the vibrant city life passing by. Upon entering we were quickly welcomed and seated at one of the tables at the windows. Our server took our drink order(Cabernet, Pinot, and one of the best Cosmopolitans I ever tasted!). She gave us ample time to ask questions about the menu and just enjoy the atmosphere and our conversation. Our dinner choices were the baby spinach salad with salmon which was superb-fresh greens with yellow and red cherry tomatoes, slices of avocado, and poached salmon in a light dressing! My husband had the gnocchi which was done to perfection and crisp Caesar salad. Merci beaucoup!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient to theatreGustaDined on 6/10/2014Enjoyed food. Noise level was very high pre-theatre. Service was acceptable but could have been more attentive. Would go back.Special Features:
- Good but NoisyNotafoodieDined on 6/8/2014The food & service at brunch were very good, but the noise level & ,on Sunday afternoon, the restaurant was too warm & the a/c was not on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mary StepOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/4/2014We enjoyed our brunch there very much. Ir was a first time for us and we will returnSpecial Features:
- Great Experiencetpd0418Dined on 6/1/2014I was here with a group of 14 for dinner before a Broadway show this past week. Our party ranged from college age to retirees. Everyone enjoyed the food immensely and was complimentary of their experience. I highly recommend Pigalle!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014No complaints at all. Food was wonderful and service was quick and good. Went for an early dinner and betting at night it would be even a nicer experience .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5-27-14OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/29/2014I brought a group to dinner. At first service was good, then it was like we fell off the planet. Food is also just average. The decor is excellent.Special Features:
- Pigalle Fails Miserably!loncandersonDined on 5/25/2014I have eaten at Pigalle and recommended it countless times because of the ambiance and food. We were the first table to arrive nevertheless service was slow. We started with absinthe which took almost 30 mins to arrive. Appetizers arrived slow, drinks arrived slow, and then the beef tartare arrived another 30 minutes later; 2 hours had passed. The staff were flustered, the manager dismissive, and the chef used an inferior piece of meat for the tartare. When we tried to pay we were told that the system was down and would take 15 minutes to come back online - other staff members were visibly frustrated. After 10 mins we were told we could pay by cash or continue to wait. After waiting another 10 mins we paid by cash and left.
- Fine spot in Theater DistrictBlortDined on 5/22/2014Pigalle provides delicious food of sensible proportions at an expected price. I enjoyed well prepared Duck with a nice vegetable pairing. Seating is somewhat cramped, and even during week, it fills up Right before shows typically start (that is, it thins out around 7 p.m.).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OOH-LA-LAPaonia12Dined on 5/17/2014The food is fabulous and the chef accomodating. An individual in our party wanted escargot for her appetizer and it was no longer offered on the brunch menu. We asked our waiter to ask the chef and the chef was most accomodating and specially prepared the dish. It was delicious as was the rest of our meals. The bar tender also prepared an alcoholic beverage that he wasn't familiar with. When we told him what made up the drink, he prepared successfully prepared it. Pigalle is a wonderful experience all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dessertsAeweDined on 5/10/2014You have to get the Creme brûlée at this restaurant! It is one of the best I have ever had. All the food was delicious. We ordered off the menu as the prixe fix menu was dull. Great wine list and excellent service. They were crowded but we didn't feel rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.