Pig and Prince
1 Lackawana Plaza
Montclair, NJ 07042Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Pig and Prince
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pigandprince.com/
- Phone: (973) 233-1006
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday-Thursday 5pm til 10pm
Friday /Saturday 5pm til 11pm
Sunday 5pm til 9pm
Tuesday – Saturday 4pm til Close
Sunday 11am til Close
11am til 2pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
A word from Pig and Prince
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Pig and Prince - Best Restaurants in Montclair ›
Pig and Prince reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (39)vibrant bar scene (30)neighborhood gem (24)special occasion (20)hot spot (18)romantic (15)late-night find (13)good for groups (12)notable wine list (10)great for outdoor dining (5)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- always outstandingSeafoodguyVIPDined on 11/19/2014pig and the prince has it all- excellent food, superior service, great atmosphere. It's especially refreshing to see a confident, talented chef change up the menu every once in a while and outdo himself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Ambience was incrrdible, food pesentation was amazing, service with a smile. It was a culinary delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeAlexGDined on 11/15/2014One of the great place around. There are definitively not many place like this in NJ. Great food, amazing building, great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular Meal, A++++linguo165Dined on 11/9/2014I took my fiance here for our aniversary and I was not disappointed in the slighest. The portions may be a tad small, but nothing outrageous for what I expect from a high class dining facility. They had a great seleciton of drinks, apps and entrees but the star of the evening was dessert. The donut bread pudding is definitely something to write home about the their homemade ice creams were amazing. I would recommend this to any couple of group that is looking for a nice little place with some amazing food, as long as you don't mind spending a little more money to get it. I will definitely be back in the future for another special occasion.Special Features:
- Great look/vibe; inconsistent mealsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014The bar scene was very good, with reasonable drink prices during happy hour. Appetizer (we had the pork belly) was amazing. The main courses were the point of divergence. The lobster-pasta dish was flavorful and perfectly cooked, with the duck breast was unevenly cooked and, for a novice, the skin tough. After receiving rave reviews from friends who are foodies, we expected more, so it is a place that we will definitely try again.Special Features:
- Retro RevivalOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/30/2014For those history buffs or rail fans you will love the meticulously restored old Lackawanna train station. They have an excellent selection of cured meats and cheeses prepared using traditional methods. Our meals were as pleasing to the eye as our tastebuds!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- places to goJohn47Dined on 10/25/2014We have been there several times and liked it. I believe the menu could be expanded but overall very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My first dinner at Pig & Prince.ClaudilovesfoodDined on 10/23/2014I asked what the title/name of restaurant meant: Pig stands for the basic burger type food they serve, then the Prince stands for the specials! I ordered white wine and the swordfish special. I forget how the fish was prepared, but the way in which the waiter Dan explained it sounded fabulous to me so I ordered it. Every other time I've tasted my husband's swordfish at other restaurants, it was dry, but THIS SWORDFISH was just delicious! Moist and tasty, but still fishy. Just perfect, I thought. The décor looked like a MUSEUM! More like a Cathedral than a train station. Very high ceilings, so I was surprised at how much noise there was around 8pm. I'd like to go back for lunch & see if a bit more quiet.Special Features:
- not as great as it used to beOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014I guess it must have been a bad night for the kitchen. I remember having rabbit ravioli that were out of this world (no longer on menu) now the fried oyster were horrible and were sent back, the salmon was fishy, the beef was gamy, the Brussels sprouts were so spicy and it was limit. On the other hand the pork belly app was delicious, the duck was outstanding and the platter of cured meat was great as well. The waiter was alright, didn't really check on us too much and when he brought us our cappuccinos he forgot to give us sugar and spoons. I have been to this restaurant few times and was always satisfied with my dinning experience. This time around i brought 2 friends along and i don't believe they will be back.Special Features:
- Over-reachingOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 10/18/2014My artichoke appetizer was very tasty although it was hard to detect any anchovy in the aioli...Our guests shared a pizzette and never got the extra plate they requested. The bread plate they improvised with was removed mid-bite! The pumpkin gnocchi with curry sauce was as bland as it was bizarre. I tasted neither pumpkin nor curry and the wonderful mushrooms were lost. Once again, for dessert, our guest shared and were not given or offered an extra plate. I know the fashion these days is sharing small plates, but we were all of the generation where it was clearly something that should have been on offer. I did enjoy the local cheeses and it is nice to have reasonably priced wines on the list. But I don't think I'll be back again.Special Features:
- Outstanding and eclecticLisaADined on 10/17/2014Outstanding dining experience. The food was so much more than expected. I enjoyed that there were many items on the menu that I've never had or seen anywhere else. It was like nowhere I've been before. We will surely be back. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gluten free menu that is not gfOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/15/2014the gf options denoted on the menu were in fact not gf when asked follow-up questionsSpecial Features:
- Awful service mediocre foodHungryDined on 10/11/2014Waiter started out good but disappeared all evening. There were 4 of us and 2 entries came out approx 8 minutes before the others. 2 of the dishes came out cold. We sent both back and when 1 came back it was very chewy and missing the fried onions ontop. At this point we asked the manager over and he was very lack luster. We asked that the dish be re-made. He offered to get us a round of drinks but we already had 2 (1 of which went back because it was made incorrectly). Since we didn't want another drink he didn't offer anything else. The waiter never came by to see how my friends dish was. Nor did the manager The hostes was the only 1 who shoed any interest. We ate here before and had a totally different experience.Special Features:
- Great DinnerlisabellsDined on 10/3/2014A bit noisy but dinner was delicious! Had the specials both were great. Will definitely come back again!Special Features:
- would go againjoeydarts1Dined on 10/3/2014Everthing was very nice....from decor to atmosphere....to drinks straight thru to the food. my only thing was it just took a little while for our server to come around .....understandable though..place was busy...might of been short staffed...orders back up...I give a lot of credit to people who work in this industry, from dishwasher....server....busser....bartender...host ess....everyone. keep up the great workSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something different in MontclairkmkmDined on 10/3/2014While there is no shortage of good restaurants in Montclair, Pig and Prince definitely stands out. Located in an old railroad station building, it has a distinct architecture and atmospehere. Cathedral ceilings, plenty of air and lots of space allows to accommodate many people without getting crowded. The food is really good. Delicious cured meats are prepared at the restaurant, and they also use local suppliers for other groceries. Something as simple as a burger is a real treat, and the desserts are quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ehluv2dineDined on 10/2/2014Was there on a Thursday night, it was not crowded. So noise was not an issue as in some other reviews. Food was disappointing. Just a few examples...Special Poke appetizer had a very unusual slimy mouth feel due to the "marinade" and it was very rich topped with the avocado mousse and lacked overall texture. Mussels were good and the coconut milk with andouille broth was yummy but if you ate them together the andouille overpowered the mussels. We did enjoy the duck appetizer. (Some thought it was too salty.) . But each plate we tried missed the mark. With a little tweaking this would have been a really good meal. Server was nice, pleasant and attentive but not in your face. we liked the look of the place and loved the bar area.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/27/2014The entree was a big disappointment - duck confit risotto. A flat colorless plate, had to really search for the duck, very bland, almost no taste. Not what I expected at all.
- First time hereCraftBeerFan18Dined on 9/27/2014This was our first time here and the food was very good. We both had the specials, pumpkin gnocchi and duck confit risotto. The cheese and meat appetizer was excellent. The one cheese was a bit spicy and overpowering so we didn't finish it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisey and okay service.....STCYGRLDined on 9/26/2014Found this restaurant on open table and wanted to try it since we were seeing a show on Friday night at the Wellmont Theatre. Very very very noisey. Almost to the point of being annoying. All you hear is this loud roar your entire dinner. Very high ceilings so that doesn't help. We got seated at about 9:30 pm. We literally sat there for 15 minutes before someone even came up to us even though we were sitting literally by the kitchen door and the manager kept popping out to look around. Finally, someone came to take our order. Service was very lacking even though there were 50 million waiters floating around. I find this unacceptable. White bean and arugula salad awesome! Pizzette with bacon so so mushy cheese on top. Food good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treated well and ate wellOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/25/2014We went on a quiet night - great service and classy treatment. Very good food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but GoodtastytreatDined on 9/21/2014Be prepared to spend money on your dinner. The food was outstanding and the menu offered many different selections. However you could still get a burger if you wanted. The special was a pumpkin gnocchi that when you took a bite into you could tell the pasta was homemade. The steak on the menu was tender and juicy and the sides especially the sweet potatoes were unique and just enough to fill you. The appetizers and salads again when with the whole theme of the restaurant keep you on your toes a little and to keep surprising you. Overall my family and I enjoyed our meal and will definitely go back again.Special Features:
- A WasteFoodie246Dined on 9/21/2014The service here was poor. The waitress looked like she was nearly dead. She appeared as if she would rather be somewhere else. The food was nothing unique or special, it was average.Special Features:
- Loud.LovestayinglocalDined on 9/20/2014loud. We asked to have the rock and roll turned down and the waiter informed us no as it is part of their atmosphere. Foodie quality food but low attention to service and inability to hear each other in the high ceiling room is a big disconnect.Special Features:
- Fun use of spaceGatorGalDined on 9/20/2014Housed in what was once a train terminal, The Pig and Prince has a fun albeit sometimes a little loud ambiance, including a bar that is open on one side to a very high ceilinged restaurant and on the other side to a small and more intimate lounge. The cocktail, beer & wine menus provided ample selections. The bartenders & waiter (Jeremy) were very friendly and helpful. The chef (owner) visited our table after we posed a food allergy question to our waiter. He was very thorough in describing the food we had ordered and provided additional information regarding the restaurant. The food was very good. Loved the Brussel sprouts! They were so yummy that one person from our group ate them for the first time in 30 years & took home the leftovers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic!SarahDined on 9/17/2014Though we sat at the bar all night, we got to try a couple of different beers on tap and bottled-not your garden variety stuff. Food was delicious and again had a fun spin on old time favorites. The cinnamon toast ice cream had to be the most exciting part!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lot of potential but missed a bitTNNJVIPDined on 9/13/2014The challenge on an early Saturday evening seemed to be the kitchen which seemed to stress the servers in addition to the guests who waited a really long time for food that was good not great. So much potential here....really worth paying attention to bring it up a notch to match apparent aspirations. Would return...won't rush.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014The menu is limited but the cocktails and food were excellent. Our waitress was attentive, knowledgeable and promptly responded to our requests. It was very noisy and prevented our group from conversing without speaking very loudly.Special Features:
- Where's the pork?RichVIPDined on 8/29/2014Food quality is very high but menu is very unusual using many off beat spices and combinations. Much has been made in the press about the owner raising his own pigs, yet there was only one pork entree. I appreciate innovation but there should be a few comfort type offerings. One thing I can recommend are the cured meats and cheeses that make a nice appetizer.Special Features:
- Great FindKimberlyDined on 8/22/2014Good was really good, but the beautiful atmosphere was outstanding as was the service. We had a delicious bottle of wine. We lived the fact that we could get a delicious cheese plate which we ate half for appetizer and saved the rest for our final course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for dinner in MontclairCuisinistaVIPDined on 8/21/2014Appetizers- fried artichokes and bison tartare were delicious. Main courses- cod, tilefish and lobster pasta were outstanding; home-cured meats looked delicious but no red meat eaters at our table so will have to leave it to other reviewers. Desserts-all delectable but the apricot tarte was a standout, and the spicy chocolate ice cream was definitely spicy but worth the jolt. Wine list was so-so. High ceilings and dark wood of the former train station were a nice change from the usual restaurant spaces in Montclair. Lackawanna Plaza location is in a not-upscale shopping mall, but at least there is parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceKira0483VIPDined on 8/17/2014This was our first time dining here. The space is gorgeous and the food and service wonderful! We can't wait to go back for brunch.Special Features:
- Pig and PrinceHonestthoughtDined on 8/16/2014Less than stellar,overpriced experience.The food was mediocre at best The risotto was not properly cooked. Many other options in the area are better.
- Great brunch spotJT76Dined on 8/10/2014Took my wife here for our anniversary, we had a great time. Waiter was great, he recommended exactly what I was looking for in a meal. I would definitely go back for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but not amazingBasiaDined on 8/9/2014I had some of their food at a benefit before which was amazing. I also heard great things about this place but when i ate there finally the food wasn't that amazing. It was good but nothing amazing.Special Features:
- Fantastic dinnerHeidiDined on 8/8/2014Innovative sides and vegetables. Wonderful main course and dessertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!!!SabbyandJohnVIPDined on 8/7/2014Great for foodies, nice wine list, decor is great... Paid much attention to detail not only in food but atmosphere!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014Great date place! Food was different and SO good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 322 reviews are from the Pig and Prince reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/20/2014It was an off evening and the crowd was small with only 12 people in the restaurant located in a Stamford-White designed train station which can be very loud but it sure was nice on Sunday!Special Features:
- Always a great timeEAC17VIPDined on 7/19/2014The place is always great. Was seating at 7pm with no issues. Food and Drink selection is great and the portions are good. The sausage risotto is our favorite meal!Special Features: