Pig and Prince
1 Lackawana Plaza
Montclair, NJ 07042Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Pig and Prince
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pigandprince.com/
- Phone: 9732331006x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday-Thursday 5pm til 10pm
Friday /Saturday 5pm til 11pm
Sunday 5pm til 9pm
Tuesday – Saturday 4pm til Close
Sunday 11am til Close
11am til 2pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
A word from Pig and Prince
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pig and Prince reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (38)neighborhood gem (33)vibrant bar scene (27)hot spot (20)special occasion (19)good for groups (15)romantic (14)notable wine list (10)late-night find (10)great for outdoor dining (9)great for brunch (5)great for lunch (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Outstanding and eclecticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Outstanding dining experience. The food was so much more than expected. I enjoyed that there were many items on the menu that I've never had or seen anywhere else. It was like nowhere I've been before. We will surely be back. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gluten free menu that is not gfOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/15/2014the gf options denoted on the menu were in fact not gf when asked follow-up questionsSpecial Features:
- Awful service mediocre foodHungryDined on 10/11/2014Waiter started out good but disappeared all evening. There were 4 of us and 2 entries came out approx 8 minutes before the others. 2 of the dishes came out cold. We sent both back and when 1 came back it was very chewy and missing the fried onions ontop. At this point we asked the manager over and he was very lack luster. We asked that the dish be re-made. He offered to get us a round of drinks but we already had 2 (1 of which went back because it was made incorrectly). Since we didn't want another drink he didn't offer anything else. The waiter never came by to see how my friends dish was. Nor did the manager The hostes was the only 1 who shoed any interest. We ate here before and had a totally different experience.Special Features:
- Great DinnerlisabellsDined on 10/3/2014A bit noisy but dinner was delicious! Had the specials both were great. Will definitely come back again!Special Features:
- would go againjoeydarts1Dined on 10/3/2014Everthing was very nice....from decor to atmosphere....to drinks straight thru to the food. my only thing was it just took a little while for our server to come around .....understandable though..place was busy...might of been short staffed...orders back up...I give a lot of credit to people who work in this industry, from dishwasher....server....busser....bartender...host ess....everyone. keep up the great workSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something different in MontclairkmkmDined on 10/3/2014While there is no shortage of good restaurants in Montclair, Pig and Prince definitely stands out. Located in an old railroad station building, it has a distinct architecture and atmospehere. Cathedral ceilings, plenty of air and lots of space allows to accommodate many people without getting crowded. The food is really good. Delicious cured meats are prepared at the restaurant, and they also use local suppliers for other groceries. Something as simple as a burger is a real treat, and the desserts are quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ehluv2dineDined on 10/2/2014Was there on a Thursday night, it was not crowded. So noise was not an issue as in some other reviews. Food was disappointing. Just a few examples...Special Poke appetizer had a very unusual slimy mouth feel due to the "marinade" and it was very rich topped with the avocado mousse and lacked overall texture. Mussels were good and the coconut milk with andouille broth was yummy but if you ate them together the andouille overpowered the mussels. We did enjoy the duck appetizer. (Some thought it was too salty.) . But each plate we tried missed the mark. With a little tweaking this would have been a really good meal. Server was nice, pleasant and attentive but not in your face. we liked the look of the place and loved the bar area.
- First time hereCraftBeerFan18Dined on 9/27/2014This was our first time here and the food was very good. We both had the specials, pumpkin gnocchi and duck confit risotto. The cheese and meat appetizer was excellent. The one cheese was a bit spicy and overpowering so we didn't finish it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisey and okay service.....STCYGRLDined on 9/26/2014Found this restaurant on open table and wanted to try it since we were seeing a show on Friday night at the Wellmont Theatre. Very very very noisey. Almost to the point of being annoying. All you hear is this loud roar your entire dinner. Very high ceilings so that doesn't help. We got seated at about 9:30 pm. We literally sat there for 15 minutes before someone even came up to us even though we were sitting literally by the kitchen door and the manager kept popping out to look around. Finally, someone came to take our order. Service was very lacking even though there were 50 million waiters floating around. I find this unacceptable. White bean and arugula salad awesome! Pizzette with bacon so so mushy cheese on top. Food good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treated well and ate wellOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/25/2014We went on a quiet night - great service and classy treatment. Very good food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but GoodtastytreatDined on 9/21/2014Be prepared to spend money on your dinner. The food was outstanding and the menu offered many different selections. However you could still get a burger if you wanted. The special was a pumpkin gnocchi that when you took a bite into you could tell the pasta was homemade. The steak on the menu was tender and juicy and the sides especially the sweet potatoes were unique and just enough to fill you. The appetizers and salads again when with the whole theme of the restaurant keep you on your toes a little and to keep surprising you. Overall my family and I enjoyed our meal and will definitely go back again.Special Features:
- A WasteFoodie246Dined on 9/21/2014The service here was poor. The waitress looked like she was nearly dead. She appeared as if she would rather be somewhere else. The food was nothing unique or special, it was average.Special Features:
- Loud.LovestayinglocalDined on 9/20/2014loud. We asked to have the rock and roll turned down and the waiter informed us no as it is part of their atmosphere. Foodie quality food but low attention to service and inability to hear each other in the high ceiling room is a big disconnect.Special Features:
- Fun use of spaceGatorGalDined on 9/20/2014Housed in what was once a train terminal, The Pig and Prince has a fun albeit sometimes a little loud ambiance, including a bar that is open on one side to a very high ceilinged restaurant and on the other side to a small and more intimate lounge. The cocktail, beer & wine menus provided ample selections. The bartenders & waiter (Jeremy) were very friendly and helpful. The chef (owner) visited our table after we posed a food allergy question to our waiter. He was very thorough in describing the food we had ordered and provided additional information regarding the restaurant. The food was very good. Loved the Brussel sprouts! They were so yummy that one person from our group ate them for the first time in 30 years & took home the leftovers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic!SarahDined on 9/17/2014Though we sat at the bar all night, we got to try a couple of different beers on tap and bottled-not your garden variety stuff. Food was delicious and again had a fun spin on old time favorites. The cinnamon toast ice cream had to be the most exciting part!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lot of potential but missed a bitTNNJVIPDined on 9/13/2014The challenge on an early Saturday evening seemed to be the kitchen which seemed to stress the servers in addition to the guests who waited a really long time for food that was good not great. So much potential here....really worth paying attention to bring it up a notch to match apparent aspirations. Would return...won't rush.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014The menu is limited but the cocktails and food were excellent. Our waitress was attentive, knowledgeable and promptly responded to our requests. It was very noisy and prevented our group from conversing without speaking very loudly.Special Features:
- Where's the pork?RichVIPDined on 8/29/2014Food quality is very high but menu is very unusual using many off beat spices and combinations. Much has been made in the press about the owner raising his own pigs, yet there was only one pork entree. I appreciate innovation but there should be a few comfort type offerings. One thing I can recommend are the cured meats and cheeses that make a nice appetizer.Special Features:
- Great FindKimberlyDined on 8/22/2014Good was really good, but the beautiful atmosphere was outstanding as was the service. We had a delicious bottle of wine. We lived the fact that we could get a delicious cheese plate which we ate half for appetizer and saved the rest for our final course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for dinner in MontclairCuisinistaVIPDined on 8/21/2014Appetizers- fried artichokes and bison tartare were delicious. Main courses- cod, tilefish and lobster pasta were outstanding; home-cured meats looked delicious but no red meat eaters at our table so will have to leave it to other reviewers. Desserts-all delectable but the apricot tarte was a standout, and the spicy chocolate ice cream was definitely spicy but worth the jolt. Wine list was so-so. High ceilings and dark wood of the former train station were a nice change from the usual restaurant spaces in Montclair. Lackawanna Plaza location is in a not-upscale shopping mall, but at least there is parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceKira0483VIPDined on 8/17/2014This was our first time dining here. The space is gorgeous and the food and service wonderful! We can't wait to go back for brunch.Special Features:
- Pig and PrinceHonestthoughtDined on 8/16/2014Less than stellar,overpriced experience.The food was mediocre at best The risotto was not properly cooked. Many other options in the area are better.
- Great brunch spotJT76Dined on 8/10/2014Took my wife here for our anniversary, we had a great time. Waiter was great, he recommended exactly what I was looking for in a meal. I would definitely go back for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but not amazingBasiaDined on 8/9/2014I had some of their food at a benefit before which was amazing. I also heard great things about this place but when i ate there finally the food wasn't that amazing. It was good but nothing amazing.Special Features:
- Fantastic dinnerHeidiDined on 8/8/2014Innovative sides and vegetables. Wonderful main course and dessertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!!!SabbyandJohnVIPDined on 8/7/2014Great for foodies, nice wine list, decor is great... Paid much attention to detail not only in food but atmosphere!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014Great date place! Food was different and SO good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/20/2014It was an off evening and the crowd was small with only 12 people in the restaurant located in a Stamford-White designed train station which can be very loud but it sure was nice on Sunday!Special Features:
- Always a great timeEAC17VIPDined on 7/19/2014The place is always great. Was seating at 7pm with no issues. Food and Drink selection is great and the portions are good. The sausage risotto is our favorite meal!Special Features:
- DissapointedDined on 7/18/2014Horrible experience with minimal or no service. Disappointed special night ruined.
- Inconsistent Food/Service, LoudMontclairMomDined on 7/18/2014While usually enjoying the food here, we have always hated the noise level, so we decided to try sitting at an outdoor table. There seemed to be only one server, and it took a few tries to get table settings. The table itself was very wobbly and screamo rock was blasting through a poor speaker. The food was mixed. Fried oysters and pork belly appetizers were perfectly prepared. The mussels with coconut milk and chorizo had a delicious sauce, but some of the mussels seemed uncooked while others were fine. The entree of tagliatelle with a lobster sauce was very good. Dessert of peach crostata was served with a stale cookie and an banal crust. Black pepper ice cream was good. The patio took on the feeling of a sports bar right before we left.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing, as always.jbardiDined on 7/18/2014this place is always beyond amazing. we ordered the bison tartare as a starter, the green pea risotto and steak as our main courses, and got the spicy chocolate & early grey tea ice cream for desert, as well as a few cocktails throughout. the bison was the only thing we didn't totally love - the things that were paired it with kind of overpowered the taste of the bison itself. everything else was great. I ordered the "Brinley Crush"cocktail, which was amazing. perfect refreshing summer cocktail. tastes almost like a pina colada, but the lime and vanilla bitters kept it from being super sweet. I have been, and will continue to, recommend this restaurant to anyone who will listen. love.Special Features:
- Good experience (not my best)AlliLizDined on 7/18/2014I've been to Pig & Prince several times and have had some fantastic meals there. On this occasion I ordered one of the specials - the scallops - and was a little underwhelmed as they tasted slightly oily and a bit too salty. On the other hand, the service was terrific, as usual. Despite my disappointment with the meal, I'll definitely return as I look at this as a rare bad night. Usually the food is perfectly done and tasty.Special Features:
- ShoshyDined on 7/12/2014The service was very good and the food was great!! It is worth the return trip!Special Features:
- Pig and PrinceDMCTDined on 7/5/2014I had been to Pig and Prince twice before but for cocktails only. Most restaurants in Montclair are BYOB, so my friends and I have been meeting up at P&P for before dinner drinks. Every time we've gone, we've ended up wondering why we didn't just eat there. I was very glad to finally get the chance this weekend. Everything was delicious! I had the arugula salad and the skate for dinner. The sriracha potatoes were a little too spicy for my taste but still worked well with the pickled vegetables. For dessert I had two scoops of ice cream - pistachio and cinnamon toast crunch. I didn't try any signature cocktails this time around, but all of the ones I tried before were great. I definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Good SpotrafmanDined on 7/4/2014Really very good food drink service and vibe. Outside dining looks a bit sketchy on the street and could use privacy fenceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulouscatscivettiDined on 7/4/2014the food is amazing and keeps on getting better. you can never go wrong with the small plates and pizza. the bar is perfect and the overall ambiance is fabulous. the best tuna tartar ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced & OverratedBigManda1Dined on 6/28/2014Atmosphere was cool and unique, but portions were small. Food was very underwhelming and expensive. Service was bad. And, oddly enough, there were barely any pork entrees on the menu. I wouldn't go back.
- Nice BrunchnjtxfoodieDined on 6/22/2014I recently had brunch at Pig and Prince on a Sunday with a girlfriend. I ordered the eggs benedict and she ordered the omelet. I enjoyed my dish and my friend enjoyed hers. We also had brunch cocktails. I had a bellini and my girlfriend had the mimosa. I would definitely come back again for brunch. The food and cocktails were reasonably priced and also very good. The food was so good that I could have eaten more! To that end-I think there should be some more food on the plate-perhaps that is why the prices are reasonable. Also, there should be dessert available at brunch. I have been there for dinner and had dessert. The desserts are delicious.Special Features:
- The following 310 reviews are from the Pig and Prince reviews archive.
- I was invisibleBradDined on 6/8/2014Upon confirming my reservation, I was seated. I sat, and sat, and sat. I finally asked who my server is. Reluctantly, one named Dan came over and said he would serve me. I asked if mine was his table. He said no. I asked what happened. He said the server for my table didn't want to do it. That was so weird and made me feel like nothing. I was truly invisible and they cared less that I was there. The place is noisy also and looks like a hangar for old B 52 aircraft from World War 2. Cold is the feel actually, in environment as well as treatment. Dan smiled, but no one else serving did. It made me wonder if management is unkind and even mean. I will never go there again. Brad StoneSpecial Features: