Pietro's Coal Oven Pizza - Walnut Street
1714 Walnut St
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Pietro's Coal Oven Pizza - Walnut Street
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pietrospizza.com/
- Phone: 2157358090
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizzeria
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Delivery, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Pietro's offers catering for any event including corporate meetings, brithdays, bar & bat mitzvahs and more! Our extensive menu options are sure to impress your guests and leave them satisfied. Our catering menu can be found on our website.
A word from Pietro's Coal Oven Pizza - Walnut Street
Pizza is a family affair for me. My Uncle Angelo arrived in America in the 1930s with a passion for pizza. He worked hard and eventually bought his own pizzeria in Brooklyn. It was there that Uncle Angelo invented a recipe for coal oven pizza. That recipe has been perfected over 60 years and passed down through the generations. My brothers and cousins in New York know the recipe. Diners at Patsy's, Nick's and Angelo's have enjoyed their pizzas, pastas and salads for years. Here in Philadelphia and New Jersey, you can feast on my Uncle Angelo's secret recipe dishes at our three Pietro's locations: 1714 Walnut Street, 121 South Street in Philadelphia and 140 W. Route 70 in New Jersey. I hope that you enjoy our classic style pizzas and pasta specialties "alla familia" for many years to come. Buon appetitoContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Pietro's Coal Oven Pizza - Walnut Street - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Pietro's Coal Oven Pizza - Walnut Street reviews from OpenTable diners
95 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (45)great for lunch (36)neighborhood gem (32)kid-friendly (30)great for outdoor dining (30)fit for foodies (25)special occasion (12)romantic (7)great for brunch (7)scenic view (7)hot spot (7)notable wine list (6)late-night find (5)Show More
- Great foodRunnergirl918Dined on 9/20/2014My friends and I ate here the night before we ran a half marathon. What a delicious way to carb up! It did take a long time to get our food because it was packed but it was worth it.Special Features:
- disappointedeatoutalotVIPDined on 9/16/2014Was so looking forward to coming here. Absolutely LOVE Estia. (same owners). The night was just ok. Service was slow and it was not busy. Appetizers took over 30 minutes and meatballs were COLD. Waitress was nowhere to be found to complain so we ate them cold. Tasty but I'm sure would have been better hot. Shrimp wrapped in zucchini sounded fabulous on the menu, but was overwhelmed by the sauce. Pizza was very good.
- Bad ChoiceDisappointedDined on 9/15/2014Pietro's came highly recommended to me during my recent trip to Philly. we were squished in to a small area and some of our party was constantly interrupted by people squeezing by. First, someone couldn't order the risotto balls (they were out of them at 7pm), the mozzerella sticks were frozen and not of high quality, the bologenese didn't really have any meat in it and the pasta was not fresh and overcooked. not an experience i would repeat.
- Calorie Worthy!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/11/2014I rarely eat pizza. But i will over and over again at Pietro's. Wonderful way to end fun shopping on Walnut Sreet. Friendly service. the Calamari with sausage and arugula starter was superb. Enough for 4 starters! Whole wheat pizza was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014A great place to dine with family and friends. The food s consistently great and family style dishes give you a chance to try more things. Our college kids and their friends enjoy it. No matter how busy it is, once we sit down, we never feel rushed. It's the way family dinners should be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pizza lover?DrParosDined on 9/6/2014We wanted to get a bite before our 8 pm theatre time. We reserved a table for 8 at Peitro's for 6pm. We were late by 5 minutes and seated in 10. Our waiter responded instantly when asked if he could get us out by 7:30. Our drinks were on the tables in minutes, followed by our salads, followed by 3 large coal fired baked pizzas. Fantastico! We had 3 different kinds, the pizza crust was exactly correct both crunchy and soft while the topping tasted delightfully fresh. Taste-wise, I felt I was back in Catania, Sicily or Venice! While our waiter and the staff were attentive and he got us out in plenty of time for our 8 pm! This is little doubt amongst the 8 of us of returning for another night of pizza.Special Features:
- Salt shaker in our foodDissapointingDishVIPDined on 9/1/2014Lunch specials sounded appealing. . .. ordered pasta w/chicken & spinanch. Very salty hardly any sauce. Eventually, caught our waiter's eye, asked for sauce (pesto) Kept dabbing pasta as we ate..rather than pouring it on. Having an intense conversation . Wihtin a short time, my friend felt ill,she realized her dish too much salt gets a bad reaction to salt. All night food repeated on me..tongue felt sensitive.. Surprised waiter & manager seemed indifferent.Special Features:
- DisappointingNicoDined on 8/29/2014I have been here before and had a good meal, but this past time I went I had to send back my mussels because they were so chewy. I recieved my money back for the muscles, which saved this restaurants review. I also had the "Pietro's Classic" pizza and it was so-so.Special Features:
- Excellent lunchPhiladelphiamomVIPDined on 8/29/2014Had lunch with a friend last week on a beautiful day and we sat outside. It was fun to people watch and our food was absolutely amazing. I had the four cheese pizza and she had the risotto. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lobster101VIPDined on 8/26/2014Not very happy tonight at Pietro's. We ordered roasted vegetables and the order came wrong. It was taken back and again came wrong. The third time came like it should have except the veggies were roasted but by that time they were cold. They should have been taken off the check but weren't. Not nice of Pietro's. Pizza was very good. I hope the restaurants sees this review. We go there at least once a month, not thru open table but only because we live in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good FoodMookDined on 8/21/2014This is my second time at Pietro's. The food is delicious. The pizza has a totally different taste than the norm!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, excellent food.PatriciaDined on 8/17/2014Since I work in Center City, I've eaten at Pietro's often, but my husband has not. HE LOVED IT! We had the four cheese pizza which is absolutely the tastiest pizza we've had in a long, long time. My husband is a convert and we'll be back - probably just for the pizza. Also, it was a lovely day and we sat near the front open window - it was delightful!Special Features:
- Excellent MealMartynDined on 8/13/2014The pizza was fantastic. I will definitely go back next time I'm in the area.Special Features:
- Waitress on a missionChilloutWaitressDined on 8/13/2014The food was good, the waitress was nice, but I felt rushed to order by the waitress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MIxed reviewMactor17VIPDined on 8/9/2014So I started with a salad which was not very good. Their was little dressing and big chunks of cheese. The CHicken Parm was really well cooked in parts and not as much in others. I personally would find another restaurant.
- Great food!Wendy099Dined on 8/2/2014Went there on a Saturday night with a few friends. Everything was outstanding. We had 2 different salads that were great and a pizza that was exceptional. Our waiter was extremely nice and accommodating. Oh and the rolls and red sauce are fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Different than South JerseyRaymondDined on 8/1/2014Being from South Jersey and eating at the Route 70 location for many years I was disappointed. The food seemed rushed and lacked some flavor. The menu could offer more of a selection for children. Service was fine, very attentive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlexBVIPDined on 7/30/2014Two gripes, lighting and some of the wait staff actions. It's dim in here, I'm not sure why, but it is. Additionally, our waiter did some odd things such as reaching across our large table to get a glass to refill. Otherwise, the waiter did well, and was attentive. Personally, I ordered a pizza, which was pretty good and I wish I had room to finish the whole thing. I believe that generally among our group, we considered the food to be good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- bad lucklucky1Dined on 7/21/2014Meal was great. Used my debit card to pay and within twelve hours, my account was compromised. Sometimes you can't win.Special Features:
- Good food and ServiceNogoodnyckVIPDined on 7/19/2014Charming waiter. Very good pizza and great salad! Will be my go-to place for casual diningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodjohnloopDined on 7/18/2014Great food and reasonable prices. Risotto balls were excellet. Pizza was great. Sat us right on time with open table reservationSpecial Features:
- EXCELLENT FOOD HAD BY ALLknifeDined on 7/17/2014two grandparents, two parents and two children all had a fine meal, with good service and food served piping hot. Waitress was especially attentive to the children. I will certainly come back when they're in town agaion.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/12/2014Pietros is never flashy when going about their business. I've been to the one on South street multiple times and this was my first time at the one in Center City and Pietros didn't disappoint. The salad and pizza were again fantastic. Love this place.Special Features:
- Affordable al fresco!SHG224VIPDined on 7/11/2014My friends and I frequent Pietro's (both locations) year round, but the Walnut Street location is especially great in nice weather. Dining outdoors with a tasty meal and a glass of wine while being in the mix of shoppers and tourists is always fun. Staff is friendly and accommodating and the waitstaff is to be praised for how well they maneuver in the often tight, crowded space. Bravo, Pietro's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Many tourists. Not bad, but...KrunoslavDined on 7/9/2014The waiters were hard-pressed but friendly; the hostess was just hard-pressed. Food is quite good and not too pricy. Don't expect anything revelatory. The caprese salad was nicely fresh. Generalization: the chef the last time I went went overboard with salt. Generally a very solid choice, especially for lunch. Noise at dinner can approach bat cave levels.
- Easy to share portionsBKmomVIPDined on 7/8/2014We had a "small salad" and a "small pizza" for dinner for the two of us. We ended up taken some pizza home and we are big eaters. Both were delicious. The food quality was excellent. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing PizzaTMONEYDined on 7/5/2014I found this spot on Open Table. I checked out the menu and saw it had fresh sorbet and I was in. I didn't make it to the sorbet as we ran out of time, so of course I'll be back. The pizza was amazingly fresh and so was the salad. The ambience was great as well. We'll definitely be back on a regular basis! I bragged about it all weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Food, not the noise levelGood2knowDined on 7/2/2014This is our go-to special occasion place for work lunches but we are going to have to find another restaurant because we can't hear each other talk over the noise level! The food is fantastic, which is why it is so crowded, but there must be something wrong with the acoustics. Go off hours or sit on the sidewalk. The occasional fire truck or wailing police siren is better than the constant din inside!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent pizzaOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/1/2014Had reservation for 4 people......at the last minute we had 2 more for a total of 6. Not a problem.. Bujar, our server was very professional....attentive without being intrusive. Food was delcious and freshSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDING FOODDIVAMOMDined on 6/20/2014The food and drink was outstanding, also good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lobster101VIPDined on 6/15/2014Good pizza but the service not the best. Had to ask for water, bread and it took a long time for everything....this is the first time we didn't have good service....but we'll go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoor diningrickypooDined on 6/15/2014The outdoor dining is great if you love to people watch. The space is cramping and sidewalk very uneven but it is made up by the great food and service. And of course watching the people go bySpecial Features:
- Good place for a neighborhoodDissapointingDishVIPDined on 6/15/2014Been here several times because it is close by, convenient & better Italian food than I make. Meal was pasta w/meatsauce about 2 hrs or less after eating, it repeated on me the entire night. Had Tums for dessert that helped a little. Did not have that dish before. Bread is warm & delish. Service quite good. Will go back, just not too soonSpecial Features:
- Number 2 aboveettavabDined on 6/14/2014Why wouldn't you include dinner in the list above regarding specific recommendations?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistent food and servicemgf1020VIPDined on 6/13/2014Pietro's always provides consistent food and good service at an affordable price.Special Features:
- Love this placesjthomas394VIPDined on 6/8/2014I've eaten here several times and always have an enjoyable meal. The service is great (Laurel is the best). One of the best Italian place in Philadelphia!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italy in PhillyMitchdishVIPDined on 6/4/2014The food is consistently good. The ambience is lovely and old world and the wait staff efficient. The salads are enormous, even the small ones and the thin crust pizza is just like Northern Italy.Special Features:
- service not so greatprefernottoVIPDined on 6/3/2014The food, as always, was fantastic. The server was not at all attentive with drink refills and it was extremely hot and stuffy in the restaurant.
- Fun time with the familyantldistefDined on 5/30/2014We had not been in the city with the kids in a while so thought this would be a nice easy dinner. The kids had a great time and the food was enjoyed by everyone.Special Features:
- The following 106 reviews are from the Pietro's Coal Oven Pizza - Walnut Street reviews archive.
- lobster101VIPDined on 5/20/2014WE had a delicious spinach salad with cheese, raisins, tomato, croutons and fabulous dressing....the bread is always hot....also had pizza which is always very good. Portions are huge.....outdoor seating is usually available. Great place to go often.Special Features: