Pietro's Coal Oven Pizza - Walnut Street
1714 Walnut St
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Pietro's Coal Oven Pizza - Walnut Street
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pietrospizza.com/
- Phone: 2157358090
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizzeria
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Delivery, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Pietro's offers catering for any event including corporate meetings, brithdays, bar & bat mitzvahs and more! Our extensive menu options are sure to impress your guests and leave them satisfied. Our catering menu can be found on our website.
A word from Pietro's Coal Oven Pizza - Walnut Street
Pizza is a family affair for me. My Uncle Angelo arrived in America in the 1930s with a passion for pizza. He worked hard and eventually bought his own pizzeria in Brooklyn. It was there that Uncle Angelo invented a recipe for coal oven pizza. That recipe has been perfected over 60 years and passed down through the generations. My brothers and cousins in New York know the recipe. Diners at Patsy's, Nick's and Angelo's have enjoyed their pizzas, pastas and salads for years. Here in Philadelphia and New Jersey, you can feast on my Uncle Angelo's secret recipe dishes at our three Pietro's locations: 1714 Walnut Street, 121 South Street in Philadelphia and 140 W. Route 70 in New Jersey. I hope that you enjoy our classic style pizzas and pasta specialties "alla familia" for many years to come. Buon appetitoContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Pietro's Coal Oven Pizza - Walnut Street - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Pietro's Coal Oven Pizza - Walnut Street reviews from OpenTable diners
88 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (43)great for lunch (38)kid-friendly (30)neighborhood gem (29)great for outdoor dining (29)fit for foodies (22)special occasion (11)great for brunch (9)scenic view (7)romantic (6)notable wine list (6)late-night find (5)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- DisappointingNicoDined on 8/29/2014I have been here before and had a good meal, but this past time I went I had to send back my mussels because they were so chewy. I recieved my money back for the muscles, which saved this restaurants review. I also had the "Pietro's Classic" pizza and it was so-so.Special Features:
- Excellent lunchPhiladelphiamomVIPDined on 8/29/2014Had lunch with a friend last week on a beautiful day and we sat outside. It was fun to people watch and our food was absolutely amazing. I had the four cheese pizza and she had the risotto. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lobster101VIPDined on 8/26/2014Not very happy tonight at Pietro's. We ordered roasted vegetables and the order came wrong. It was taken back and again came wrong. The third time came like it should have except the veggies were roasted but by that time they were cold. They should have been taken off the check but weren't. Not nice of Pietro's. Pizza was very good. I hope the restaurants sees this review. We go there at least once a month, not thru open table but only because we live in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good FoodMookDined on 8/21/2014This is my second time at Pietro's. The food is delicious. The pizza has a totally different taste than the norm!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, excellent food.PatriciaDined on 8/17/2014Since I work in Center City, I've eaten at Pietro's often, but my husband has not. HE LOVED IT! We had the four cheese pizza which is absolutely the tastiest pizza we've had in a long, long time. My husband is a convert and we'll be back - probably just for the pizza. Also, it was a lovely day and we sat near the front open window - it was delightful!Special Features:
- Excellent MealMartynDined on 8/13/2014The pizza was fantastic. I will definitely go back next time I'm in the area.Special Features:
- Waitress on a missionChilloutWaitressDined on 8/13/2014The food was good, the waitress was nice, but I felt rushed to order by the waitress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MIxed reviewMactor17VIPDined on 8/9/2014So I started with a salad which was not very good. Their was little dressing and big chunks of cheese. The CHicken Parm was really well cooked in parts and not as much in others. I personally would find another restaurant.
- Great food!Wendy099Dined on 8/2/2014Went there on a Saturday night with a few friends. Everything was outstanding. We had 2 different salads that were great and a pizza that was exceptional. Our waiter was extremely nice and accommodating. Oh and the rolls and red sauce are fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Different than South JerseyRaymondDined on 8/1/2014Being from South Jersey and eating at the Route 70 location for many years I was disappointed. The food seemed rushed and lacked some flavor. The menu could offer more of a selection for children. Service was fine, very attentive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlexBVIPDined on 7/30/2014Two gripes, lighting and some of the wait staff actions. It's dim in here, I'm not sure why, but it is. Additionally, our waiter did some odd things such as reaching across our large table to get a glass to refill. Otherwise, the waiter did well, and was attentive. Personally, I ordered a pizza, which was pretty good and I wish I had room to finish the whole thing. I believe that generally among our group, we considered the food to be good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- bad lucklucky1Dined on 7/21/2014Meal was great. Used my debit card to pay and within twelve hours, my account was compromised. Sometimes you can't win.Special Features:
- Good food and ServiceNogoodnyckVIPDined on 7/19/2014Charming waiter. Very good pizza and great salad! Will be my go-to place for casual diningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodjohnloopDined on 7/18/2014Great food and reasonable prices. Risotto balls were excellet. Pizza was great. Sat us right on time with open table reservationSpecial Features:
- EXCELLENT FOOD HAD BY ALLknifeDined on 7/17/2014two grandparents, two parents and two children all had a fine meal, with good service and food served piping hot. Waitress was especially attentive to the children. I will certainly come back when they're in town agaion.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/12/2014Pietros is never flashy when going about their business. I've been to the one on South street multiple times and this was my first time at the one in Center City and Pietros didn't disappoint. The salad and pizza were again fantastic. Love this place.Special Features:
- Affordable al fresco!SHG224VIPDined on 7/11/2014My friends and I frequent Pietro's (both locations) year round, but the Walnut Street location is especially great in nice weather. Dining outdoors with a tasty meal and a glass of wine while being in the mix of shoppers and tourists is always fun. Staff is friendly and accommodating and the waitstaff is to be praised for how well they maneuver in the often tight, crowded space. Bravo, Pietro's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Many tourists. Not bad, but...KrunoslavDined on 7/9/2014The waiters were hard-pressed but friendly; the hostess was just hard-pressed. Food is quite good and not too pricy. Don't expect anything revelatory. The caprese salad was nicely fresh. Generalization: the chef the last time I went went overboard with salt. Generally a very solid choice, especially for lunch. Noise at dinner can approach bat cave levels.
- Easy to share portionsBKmomVIPDined on 7/8/2014We had a "small salad" and a "small pizza" for dinner for the two of us. We ended up taken some pizza home and we are big eaters. Both were delicious. The food quality was excellent. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing PizzaTMONEYDined on 7/5/2014I found this spot on Open Table. I checked out the menu and saw it had fresh sorbet and I was in. I didn't make it to the sorbet as we ran out of time, so of course I'll be back. The pizza was amazingly fresh and so was the salad. The ambience was great as well. We'll definitely be back on a regular basis! I bragged about it all weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Food, not the noise levelGood2knowDined on 7/2/2014This is our go-to special occasion place for work lunches but we are going to have to find another restaurant because we can't hear each other talk over the noise level! The food is fantastic, which is why it is so crowded, but there must be something wrong with the acoustics. Go off hours or sit on the sidewalk. The occasional fire truck or wailing police siren is better than the constant din inside!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent pizzaOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/1/2014Had reservation for 4 people......at the last minute we had 2 more for a total of 6. Not a problem.. Bujar, our server was very professional....attentive without being intrusive. Food was delcious and freshSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDING FOODDIVAMOMDined on 6/20/2014The food and drink was outstanding, also good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lobster101VIPDined on 6/15/2014Good pizza but the service not the best. Had to ask for water, bread and it took a long time for everything....this is the first time we didn't have good service....but we'll go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoor diningrickypooDined on 6/15/2014The outdoor dining is great if you love to people watch. The space is cramping and sidewalk very uneven but it is made up by the great food and service. And of course watching the people go bySpecial Features:
- Good place for a neighborhoodDissapointingDishVIPDined on 6/15/2014Been here several times because it is close by, convenient & better Italian food than I make. Meal was pasta w/meatsauce about 2 hrs or less after eating, it repeated on me the entire night. Had Tums for dessert that helped a little. Did not have that dish before. Bread is warm & delish. Service quite good. Will go back, just not too soonSpecial Features:
- Number 2 aboveettavabDined on 6/14/2014Why wouldn't you include dinner in the list above regarding specific recommendations?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistent food and servicemgf1020VIPDined on 6/13/2014Pietro's always provides consistent food and good service at an affordable price.Special Features:
- Love this placesjthomas394VIPDined on 6/8/2014I've eaten here several times and always have an enjoyable meal. The service is great (Laurel is the best). One of the best Italian place in Philadelphia!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italy in PhillyMitchdishVIPDined on 6/4/2014The food is consistently good. The ambience is lovely and old world and the wait staff efficient. The salads are enormous, even the small ones and the thin crust pizza is just like Northern Italy.Special Features:
- service not so greatprefernottoVIPDined on 6/3/2014The food, as always, was fantastic. The server was not at all attentive with drink refills and it was extremely hot and stuffy in the restaurant.
- Fun time with the familyantldistefDined on 5/30/2014We had not been in the city with the kids in a while so thought this would be a nice easy dinner. The kids had a great time and the food was enjoyed by everyone.Special Features:
- lobster101VIPDined on 5/20/2014WE had a delicious spinach salad with cheese, raisins, tomato, croutons and fabulous dressing....the bread is always hot....also had pizza which is always very good. Portions are huge.....outdoor seating is usually available. Great place to go often.Special Features:
- Management was badTooBadVIPDined on 5/20/2014We arrived with a larger stroller and were asked to put it in a tiny space. Would not fit. We asked if we could put it in another location as the restaurant was fairly empty of clients. Got a nasty no and the manager forced the stroller in that tiny spot, with nasty attitude. Sorry, but that enough for me not to recommend. Not even mentioning an order mistake ... That, I know it can happen.
- Reasonable Italian restaurantLakersDined on 5/18/2014We had pasta and pizza there. They are very good. Serving was not timely but other than that, it was good. I will come back again.Special Features:
- Good italian restaurantDundunDined on 5/6/2014Good Italian food. Good good good good good good good good good good goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 102 reviews are from the Pietro's Coal Oven Pizza - Walnut Street reviews archive.
- Great pizza!GretluvspizzaDined on 5/2/2014I love everything I have ever ordered here. The pizza crust is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pizza and more!Rjf9999Dined on 5/2/2014If you are craving great pizza or Italian staple dishes, Pietro's won't disappoint. Because it is an extremely popular Center City eatery, I suggest a reservation, although they do a wonderful job of fitting you in without one if your group is a manageable size. If you are looking for a quiet spot to talk and eat, you'll need to go elsewhere. The acoustics of the space make conversation a bit challenging compared with some other places. The wait staff is excellent - very attentive and professional - and the prices are reasonable for a downtown gem.Special Features:
- Good for kids & lunchMy2CentsVIPDined on 4/25/2014My daughter and I ate lunch here for Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day. She loved it. Good food. Service was prompt for lunch hour.Special Features:
- Amazing PizzaIluvepizzaDined on 4/24/2014The pizza was incredible. I also loved the meatballs. They were cheese and just so great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.