Pietro's Coal Oven Pizza - South Street
121-123 South St
Philadelphia, NJ 19147Neighborhood:
PizzeriaPrice: $30 and under
Pietro's Coal Oven Pizza - South Street
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pietrospizza.com/
- Phone: 2157330675
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizzeria
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Banquet Room: 30-100 guests Our Outdoor Deck is available in the spring/summer (weather permitting)
A word from Pietro's Coal Oven Pizza - South Street
Pizza is a family affair for me. My Uncle Angelo arrived in America in the 1930s with a passion for pizza. He worked hard and eventually bought his own pizzeria in Brooklyn. It was there that Uncle Angelo invented a recipe for coal oven pizza. That recipe has been perfected over 60 years and passed down through the generations. My brothers and cousins in New York know the recipe. Diners at Patsy's, Nick's and Angelo's have enjoyed their pizzas, pastas and salads for years. Here in Philadelphia and New Jersey, you can feast on my Uncle Angelo's secret recipe dishes at our three Pietro's locations: 1714 Walnut Street, 121 South Street in Philadelphia and 140 W. Route 70 in New Jersey. I hope that you enjoy our classic style pizzas and pasta specialties "alla familia" for many years to come. Buon appetitoContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pietro's Coal Oven Pizza - South Street reviews from OpenTable diners
12 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (6)great for outdoor dining (5)fit for foodies (5)neighborhood gem (5)kid-friendly (4)special occasion (2)great for lunch (2)romantic (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/24/2014Peitro's never disappoints us. We had one of our favorite meals - pizza and salad. It was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A take-out turns into an eat-inESJTVIPDined on 9/14/2014Usually we phoned Pietro's for delivery. Sunday night being a little house bound, we decided eat out. Very good choice. Pietro's was very pleasant to visit. Eggplant parm was very well prepared, the salad was huge and easily served both of us and the pasta fagoile was just right. The service was very good. For a Sunday night, it was great. So now we will take-out some and eat-in some at Pietro's.Special Features:
- The food never disappoints!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/10/2014The food is always delicious ! We always enjoy dinner here. The rolls come out hot, freshly baked ready to dip in the wonderful olive oil. You can't go wrong all the entrees and pizza are really amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Atmosphere, great foodCasademontDined on 8/2/2014Always good food, great service and atmosphere. Paring up a salad and a pizza is the way to go!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/27/2014Great food and amazing service!! It was a last minute find and my whole family loved it!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fit for foodiespizza4meDined on 7/26/2014Pizza and salad was excellent.........unique and wonderful taste. Worth the trip into the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay pizza, crust was too thick.StarvingartistVIPDined on 6/29/2014The service was friendly and efficient but our server did not speak English that well so there were some issues. The food was okay but the pizza crust was too thick. The toppings were good but we couldn't order exactly the toppings we wanted; couldn't add mushrooms to one of their special pizzas. And the salmon was over cooked with too many capers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 17 reviews are from the Pietro's Coal Oven Pizza - South Street reviews archive.
- 21st BirthdayhappilymarriedDined on 4/4/2014My family celebrated my son's birthday here and had a wonderful time. The restaurant was very spacious and well lit. Our server was wonderful and very attentive. I had the salmon and it was cooked perfectly, my husband had a seafood medley and that was also delicious. The bruschetta and shrimp appetizers were delicious also. Overall great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always deliciousgreatVIPDined on 3/23/2014Everything I ever order from here is amazingly goodSpecial Features:
- Our go-to place!SHG224VIPDined on 3/4/2014My friends and I are always satisfied at Pietro's on South Street. We're fortunate that it is within walking distance of where we live. The pizza is among the best in the city and oh, the warmth and fragrance from those brick furnaces! Their Mediterranean salad is also a favorite. Both the wine and food are affordable, and the service is always very friendly and accommodating.Special Features:
- bad experiencefoodieDined on 2/14/2014Long story short: 1) I went there for Valentine's day with my girlfriend. 2) had an appetizer and a salad 3) half an hour later I stood up and asked Lauren (server) about our main course and she just said that the ''kitchen was Busy''....... Terrible!
- Best grilled chicken EVER!!kris1212Dined on 1/26/2014If you think a Caesar salad with grilled chicken sounds hum-drum, you HAVE TO try Pietro's! Their Caesar salad is among the best I've had, the dressing flavorful and well-balanced, croutons crunchy but not tooth-breaking, and big slabs of wonderful Parmesan cheese. But it's the grilled chicken that is so surprising. I have quite honestly not experienced grilled chicken this wonderful anywhere else - ever. Every time I order it, I am once again amazed at how much flavor they manage to get into a piece of ordinary chicken! The chicken is served on the side, in full size, thinly pounded breasts, char-grilled to perfection and pre-sliced for easy separation. Everyone we have introduced it to has agreed - it's the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love their food!!milosmomDined on 1/12/2014We miss the Pietro's they closed in Marlton, NJ so we just drove to the S. Street location for our favorite mista salad with caesar dressing and pizza with proscuitto. We stayed for dessert and the cannoli was so delicious, pls. come back to New Jersey!!! I had their eggplant parm in the NJ location with pasta before and that was also excellent... Very basic interior, no table clothes... Good amount of couples and families but I think we only saw 1 baby/child...Special Features:
- Great food, family friendlyBeckDined on 12/31/2013My family and I love this place. Great food, service and the atmosphere is like you are eating in a Piazza in Italy. Their house insalada is awesome. Brick oven pizza, and the cannoli's are so yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's Eve before fireworksbeanieDined on 12/31/2013Perfect location to grab a bite and walk half a block to watch the fireworks. We were looking for a mid-priced italian with a lot of menu options that would satisfy our three college-aged children. I've eaten at Pietro's on Walnut several times in the past and always enjoyed it. This location did not disappoint.Our server was excellent, just spoke very quietly, which was a little difficult as the place was buzzing with conversation when he was taking our order. We'll be back! It would be wonderful to sit in the front near the bar on on a nice spring or summer evening and people watch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would not go backAnneDined on 12/6/2013The service was terrible. Server would just put drinks and dishes at of table and expected us to pass them around. Wouldn't do separate checks even though the resturant was not full. Two people had to send pasta back since it was so salty.
- Best Pizza on South StreeteclairDined on 11/22/2013If you like thin crust specialty pizzas, Pietro's is the way to go. We ordered a susage and peppers pie. It was cooked perfectly. The crust was crunchy but not too hard. The cheese used was fresh mozzeralla and the sauce was delicious. It was very quiet and and not crowded. I definitely recommend for a dat night or family gathering. It is a very quaint, family-owned, Italian resturaunt. The prices are great too! There is also a nice size bar and it is near a couple of Irish pubs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We chose this spot and madejd0702Dined on 11/16/2013We chose this spot and made reservations early since we knew it was marathon weekend and things would be crowded. Despite getting to the restaurant on time, they were behind on reservations and seemed unprepared to accommodate our party. Our waitress was friendly, but also seemed to have difficulty keeping up with the number of orders she was handling. I have been going to Pietros in Center City for many years, but was ultimately somewhat disappointment with the lack of preparation of the one on South Street.Special Features:
- Pizza great but Lighting unpleasantNYCPHLVIPDined on 10/29/2013The light bulbs in the lanterns throughout the dining area are really unpleasant. the large room is fairly dark and the lights remind one of automobile high-beams aimed at your eyes. Perhaps turning on overhead lights and using either frosted bulbs would improve the situation. Perhaps this is why the place was relatively empty. I would return if the lighting was improved. Really not enjoyable as it is now. Lighting in the Walnut street location is far better and makes a big difference in terms of enjoying the meal. Pizza is great.
- Perfect family-friendly atmosphere.paradeDined on 10/5/2013Varied menu, excellent service and food, and very nice ambiance for family get together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrible serviceluvdiningDined on 7/9/2013Arriving to south street planning on trying this restaurant for the first time ( Only one we never tried). it was very nice inside reminded you as if you were actually in Italy which we all loved! The menu was very good and had a "large" portion that feeds 4-5 people which was enjoyable. We got seated in this small corner of the restaurant, When the waiter had gotten there se wasn't too delighted to be serving us. We asked, Could we possibly sit up stairs out side?" She reply's That's for big party's only. However when we left we seen another waiter seat a table of two in that very spot. The waiter didn't know much about menu, asking for a refill for a second time she gave an awful attitude. Then never came back to table the manager had to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm just sayin'!EBaduDined on 6/9/2013This place has the best chicken caesar salad. Ask for your chicken to be sauteed! Then top it off with a cannoli!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet havenAJRidgeDined on 5/19/2013If you ever go down to South Street in Philly, you'll know how hard it is to find a quiet, grown-up place with excellent food. Pietro's provides both those things.mTheir pizzas are imaginative and made from superb ingredients. Plus it's very near parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TVs in Dining RoomChrisDined on 5/12/2013Service was poor. Food was subpar. Tried to pull off romantic Italian interior, but had two TVs playing sports. Took my mom for mothers day and was disappointed.