Pierrot Bistrot Francais
272 Cambridge St
Boston, MA 02114Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Pierrot Bistrot Francais
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pierrotbistrot.com/
- Phone: 6177258855x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Wine
A word from Pierrot Bistrot Francais
Escape to Paris with authentic French food on the left bank of Cambridge Street on Beacon Hill. Intimate and cozy ambiance combines with friendly service. Classic dishes such as escargots, bouef bourguignon and lavander creme brulee are prepared to perfection and served with moderately priced wines by the glass or the caraffe, and the best French baguettes in town! Comfort food with a hint of sophistication in one of the most picturesque neighborhoods of the city. Bon Appetit!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pierrot Bistrot Francais reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (32)special occasion (20)romantic (19)fit for foodies (17)notable wine list (7)great for lunch (6)good for groups (4)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Delightful LunchJackDined on 8/28/2014Nice little French Bistro, convenient to MGH and area. Good variety, well served French standards. When the dining room is filled, could be a little crowded, but the day we were there it was not very busy and conversttion level was comfortable.Special Features:
- great go to restaurantDentomVIPDined on 8/27/2014friendly service and tasty food. also a great place to run into our neighborsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great flavor from common dishesFoodieWannabeDined on 8/22/2014We went here for Restaurant Week in Boston, as my girlfriend was in the mood for French cuisine. The special menu's contents consisted of seemingly ordinary items, but when it arrived on the plate it had extraordinary flavor. We ended up being very satisfied with our meal, as I had the grilled chicken breast with tomato and sage, and my girlfriend had the fish of the day, which turned out to be haddock. We also noticed an interesting Cirque de Soleil theme with the artwork and figurine collection on display, which was interesting as a backdrop.Special Features:
- Great but it depends what you orderMartyDined on 8/22/2014I, personally, have always had a great meal here and I either have duck, lamb, or veal. My friend had scallops last night and she said they were mediocre at best. Another time, a friend had sea bass that wasn't good. Perhaps seafood is not their strength.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved Pierrot!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014I loved this restaurant. I really wanted to try some good French food and this restaurant had amazing reviews and now I know why. The food is decadent and I ate everything (well, almost everything, couldn't finish dessert because I was stuffed!) I thought that the service was a little slow and we didn't order until about 20 minutes after we sat down because it seemed as if they were short on waitstaff. Our food came out the same time as a table that was seated next to us 10 minutes after we were. The waitress was super sweet so I thought it was fine, plus it was nice to enjoy the atmosphere with my boyfriend.Special Features:
- Fine but nothing amazingMainer20Dined on 8/20/2014Went here for DineOut Boston with some friends visiting from England. I had read bad reviews of the service but the one waitress was doing a great job considering she was alone serving 8+ tables. The salads were delicious, the entrees were pretty good, and the desserts were okay. For a somewhat expensive French restaurant I was expecting a little more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/20/2014not sure why as we've dined here many times, but food was not as good as usual - artichoke soup non-descript - salmon was good
- cozy place - good foodannesjkDined on 8/19/2014If you are in the mood for French food, delicately prepared, this restaurant is convenient to downtown Boston and a lovely place to spend a few hours. The service is unrushed but good. The haddock was delicious.Special Features:
- An old favoriteelec97Dined on 8/19/2014Consistently good. Simple, unpretentious decor, no bar, no music, no noise. Just good food, unhurried atmosphere, courteous and professional service -- the way every restaurant should be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy ambience and easy locationAuroraDined on 8/18/2014I went there for restaurant week menu, I had the soup du jour and house pate for appetizer, which were pretty good; For entree, we ordered the fish of the day (baked haddock) and beef burgundy, the beef burgundy was too salty that I have to drink a lot of water afterwards; For deesert, we had the poached pear ice cream and creme brulee, the pached pear ice cream was not that good, whereas the breme brulee was fine. Overall, I would give it a 7 out of 10 for food quality.Special Features:
- DaveVIPDined on 8/16/2014Good service and food. My husband had beef medallions and I had the salmon. Both very good. Bread is wonderful and no problem with seconds. Wine list could be better.Special Features:
- Parisian Dining on Beacon HillFrancophile527Dined on 8/9/2014Excellent cuisine, meticulously prepared. Healthy menu overall. Overall dining experience marred by the food server's brusque, superior attitude. I suspect the meal tax was incorrectly calculated on the bill. Also, actual hours of operation seem inconsistent with the restaurant's stated schedule. Inconsistency and surly service will cause this bistro to close in less than two years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why was it half empty?DowliphDined on 6/28/2014My wife and sons were looking for a nice dinner last Saturday evening and tried this place. We try and introduce different types of food to the boys and we had not dined at a French restaurant with them. The food was great including duck, lamb and salmon. The lobster bisqyue was full of lobster meat and the terrines different and full of flavor. We finished the meal with chocolate souffles. My question is why were there empty tables? A great meal at very reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Oui! Oui!MarieDined on 6/6/2014This French bistro is just that - reminiscent of the small Restaurants found all over France. Especially notable were the salad with warm goat cheese - en croute - and the profitteroles. Very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Boston Must-DoMichaelfoodieDined on 5/22/2014Charming little place where we had lunch with our nephew and his girlfriend. Well-planned menu with amiable service. Even hat the opportunity to dust off my spoken French. Make arrangements for taxi if you need it. Restaurant is tucked away on a hidden little corner. Took us over an hour to get a cab on a busy day in the city.Special Features:
- Great food, setting not as muchrichardDined on 5/17/2014Were seated promptly for 9:30 Saturday dinner reservation. Felt a bit rushed ordering due to 10:00 kitchen closing. Have not had same experience elsewhere in similar restaurants with kitchen closing only 1/2 hr after arrival. Food itself was terrific, which is reason enough to recommend Pierrot. List for wine by glass, not so much. Service was solid, but also a bit harried due to time pressure.Special Features:
- dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/17/2014so delicious,especially the chocolate souffles.service was fabulous,very traditional frenchSpecial Features:
- MehDanKDined on 5/17/2014This is my second visit to this restaurant. The first time for lunch and this second visit for dinner. Lunch was ok, but the restaurant was not crowded at that time. For dinner - they did not have our reservation (which was made and confirmed on Open Table!), they stuck 3 of us at a small table for 2 next to the entrance, it took forever for the waiter to take our drink orders and, the real capper, the food was mediocre at best. We ordered the duck, the Beef Bourguignon and the fish. All 3 dishes were overcooked. I would not go back to this restaurant. Poor service and food - what else is there?
- Birthday dinnerEdearlDined on 5/10/2014We had a great meal, except for the fact that they wouldn't make a souffle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bon appetit!Luv2quiltndineDined on 5/8/2014Conveniently in our Beacon Hill neighborhood, this little gem delivered a delicious dinner. The music and camaraderie of the diners nearly transported us to Paris where we dined not so long ago. The service was perfect and unobtrusive. Go there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 93 reviews are from the Pierrot Bistrot Francais reviews archive.
- DisappointedLuisaDined on 5/3/2014Have been making a point to go to this restaurant every time we visit Boston. It has now been four years and always lok forward to it. We are from Canada. This weekend, once again we returned but unfortunately we were disappointed. We're not sure what it is but my husband and I walked out disappointed and decide not to return the next in Boston. Although the lobster bisque was delicious the steak and frites was very ordinary. Too bad.
- Good Choice on Beacon HillBostonDinerDined on 4/29/2014Finally visited Pierrot for the first time after years of meaning to try it. We were there on a chilly Tuesday evening and didn't expect to see many others in the dining room, but were pleasantly surprised at how lively it was--not overly crowded but most definitely a respectable turnout. Everything we ordered was superb--from the pate appetizer to the onion soup to the perfectly-prepared boeuf Bourguignon. My dining companions were very happy with the duck breast and pork medallions as well. The bread was also worthy of mention--hearty and flavorful just as good French bread should be. Service was a bit aloof and detached, but efficient nonetheless, and did become a bit more personable as the evening went on. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy ambiance and good cuisinelongswimDined on 4/26/2014Really pleased to find this neighborhood French bistro. Very good traditional French cuisine at a moderate price. Pleasant warm ambiance. The servers spoke French and were kind enough to put up with my broken French. Chef is from the south of France. I asked my server for a recommendation between 3 entrees. One of the entrees was the most expensive item on the menu - steak and frites. She could have upsold me. She didn't. She told me I could get steak anywhere and recommended the other two dishes. I like honest servers. I had the soup of the day & cassoulet. For dessert profiteroles. Will probably eat there again before I leave town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You Deserve The BestbanssgaDined on 4/25/2014I celebrated my birthday with my daughters and we had such a fabulous time, the food, cocktails and overall experience was off the chain!Special Features:
- Hurry up, the kitchens closing!SandiDined on 4/19/2014Made an OT red for 9:15 and were treated like we were keeping the kitchen open because it closes at 10 pm. Had to tell the waitress to chill out and slow down; she seemed pressured by the chef to take our order immediately. The waitress asked how my husband wanted his steak done, and she speculated medium -well?? We thought she said med- rare, so agreed. Steak came totally well done and since the kitchen was closed couldn't be remade. We got a free piece if dry crapppy chocolate cake as a consolation prize! The whole experience was stupid and rude!
- First time there, very enjoyabledmw010Dined on 4/19/2014Everything was well-prepared and flavorful - all classic bistro fare. Steak frites, mussels, pate duo (daily special), salad with warm goat cheese tart, profiteroles for dessert. All good. Portion sizes were more than ample. We had very pleasant champagne cocktails, and a carafe of a quite nice Bordeaux. Service was fine, and I especially appreciated refills of the excellent bread without asking (few places bother). The room was, in fact, decorated with clown artwork, but it was not overwhelming, and I wouldn't have paid it any attention if I hadn't read about it in advance. We were seated immediately for our 7pm reservation on a Saturday night. The restaurant was empty when we arrived, which worried me, but it quickly filled to capacity.Special Features:
- Wonderful neighborhood findPeepsVIPDined on 4/8/2014Great location steps away from Back Bay and Beacon Hill. Feels absolutely like a genuine French bistro. The food was excellent. This would be a five had the waiter been more attentive.Special Features:
- Amazing service and amazingCJC13Dined on 4/5/2014Amazing service and amazing food. The duck is delicious, and none of the dishes are too heavy/creamy. The servers are so helpful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Coquille Saint JacquesKittyVIPDined on 4/5/2014This place never disappoints. A true French bistro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SHECKYSheckyDined on 3/28/2014Boeuf bourguignon was delicious. Creme brûlée excellent. Sat at the little round table by the window which was a bit busy due to proximity to the front door. Waiter "Kennedy" was great. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceOnaKDined on 3/27/2014We went for Restaurant Week. What a great deal for $28, and I thank the owner and chef for that. The apps, entrees, and desserts were delicious. Our server was super. She helped us with our menu decisions, was gracious and fun, and overall made the dining experience memorable, so much so that we are planning our future dinners with friends here. Thank you for a great night! We will be back. Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experiencecodefox421Dined on 3/27/2014Visited as part of restaurant week. Great food, great service. Beef Burgundy was the best; I had the mushroom risotto, which I place second only by an infinitesimally small margin. A little noisy, but there was a large party present. Waitstaff discerned who spoke French and who didn't, and spoke either French or English as needed. English speakers still got a few French pronouns mixed in, but that is not to say their English was hard to understand; quite the opposite, in fact. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average food and serviceSteveVIPDined on 3/24/2014The food was very average and service slightly below average If you live close by it is worth a visit otherwise not
- DisappointedSuperiorDined on 3/22/2014Restaurant is cute and staff is warm, but the food left something to be desired. In our party of four, three ordered from the Dine Out Boston special menu. Soup was overpeppered, fish was bland and the creme brulee was cold. On the bright side, the salad with the goat cheese in puff pastry was excellent and the mussels were also good. Sorry, I really wanted to like it.
- Service with some attituderickracerVIPDined on 3/21/2014Arrived here around 6:30 and it the restaurant was extremely quiet for a Friday. That changed pretty quickly and nice, eclectic dinner crowd was on-hand. It was quiet when we got there and my dinner guest had some questions of the server. The server acted with a fair amount of impatience despite the relative calm and made me quite uncomfortable on behalf of my guest. It was as if we bothered her with our questions and that's just a poor way to start a dining experience. The start of the service was also a bit tarnished by the slow speed. All was ok as the dinner did progress nicely once our drinks came. From there, the pace was good, the food very good, and the service improved. All in all, I would go again and would recommend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was just o.k. the firstLfoodDined on 3/20/2014Food was just o.k. the first courses were very simple, nothing special. Desserts were very good.Special Features:
- Great authentic frenchAndyVIPDined on 3/18/2014One of the better beef burgundy Appetizers simple but tasteful Desert very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SalmonDelightfulDined on 3/17/2014The Salmon appetizer was made in house and was the best fresh tasting smoked salmon i have ever had. Terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Perfect Snug BistroFrenchStarVIPDined on 3/3/2014Order the Plat du Jour. It is usually the best offering among really delicious options.Special Features:
- nice place for French foodiesfina14Dined on 2/25/2014It is a nice place, not too fancy or too simple, it really looks like a French bistrot (except for the frames of Pierrot on the walls ;) ) The food is good, not excellent but price is ok.Special Features: