Pierre Loti Union Square
53 Irving Place
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Pierre Loti Union Square
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pierrelotiwinebar.com/
- Phone: 2127775684
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 4:00PM - 2:00AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Turkish
- Executive Chef: Ismheal Topal
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Pierre Loti Union Square
Named after the turn-of-the-century French novelist, Pierre Loti Union Square offers an extensive menu of European wines. French varietals dominate the offerings, but the selection includes a healthy mix of other regions and grapes (Austria, Italy, and even Turkey make appearances). There are daily pocket-friendly specials, and each pour comes with a little extra in a fancy carafe. The wine-friendly food menu includes an impressive choice of cheeses and small plates ranging from Mediterranean dips, salads and a delectable choice of chocolates for dessert. Vibe-wise, the ultra-dim lighting ensures the place stays rife with snuggly couples as well as groups of friends looking for an enjoyable night out.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pierre Loti Union Square reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (14)neighborhood gem (9)romantic (8)great for outdoor dining (5)good for groups (4)vibrant bar scene (4)fit for foodies (4)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)great for lunch (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- Nice Place--Not So Nice WaitressRickyKVIPDined on 10/16/2014We stopped in after the theater for a drink and a bite. The place was buzzing and it took a while for our waitress to appear. We got our drinks and later our glasses of wine and charcuterie, all of both of which were fine if not intelligibly identified by the waitress. She was constantly chatting away with a table of young men. She had to be reminded by the busboy to bring us our food. She never checked to see if all was ok. And I had to get one of the men she was still talking with to get her to bring us our check. The evening would have been much more satisfactory if the service had been professional.Special Features:
- Loved itJuneJDined on 9/27/2014Nice little wine bar. Reasonable prices (for New York) and good wine list. Across the street from Casa Mono but a bit quieter and more low-key. We sat outside in their outdoor area, quite nice. We got chorizo and a selection of cheese to go with our Carmenere from Chili. Lovely evening.Special Features:
- Suited our purposeDEK315Dined on 8/23/2014We were looking for a place in that neighborhood for a lite bite before a show. While the food menu is limited, it is primarily all about the wine, there weren't a lot of choices but we enjoyed what we ate.Special Features:
- Was better the first time we wentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/15/2014Disappointed in the service, the waitress behaved like we were a burden. Small place, was not crowded and we were a table of 5 and we almost had to send up flares to get her attention and then when she got there all FROWNSSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine, service and ambiencekeepcomingbackDined on 8/11/2014PRO: Looking for a great place to have a glass of wine and a small bite? A place where you can choose between an outdoor sitting with a Paris-style people-watching, and cozy indoor space with huge selection of wine under the ceiling? Look no further! This wine bar is the place you will keep coming back with your friends, business partners or your loved ones! Don't forget to order cheese with rose petal jam! CON: plan on having your espresso elsewhere. Like many other wine bars, this place doesn't serve coffee or tea.Special Features:
- ServicedaynaVIPDined on 7/18/2014Food was good, service was nice but lacking. They took a while to get our order and when they did they forgot part of it.Special Features:
- The following 49 reviews are from the Pierre Loti Union Square reviews archive.
- ElegantspiderguyVIPDined on 6/13/2014Been here a bunch of times for dates and such. Very nice atmosphere! Reasonable prices too, more or less.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant Evening ReunionNinaDined on 5/16/2014I met with old friends at Pierre Loti for my 25th birthday and we all had a fantastic time. Great wine list, delicious appetizers, and comfortable seating. Amazing service - the waitstaff was great at providing quality service efficiently, politely, and unobtrusively. I'd highly recommend going to Pierre Loti if you want an elegant night out. We booked the table in advance so we didn't have to worry about waiting around for seating. My only complaint would be that the lighting was too dim - it was comfortable for socializing, and it was pleasant atmosphere, but even when holding the table candles directly above our menus, it was hard to read anything off the menu.Special Features:
- Not a full-feldged restaurantady1Dined on 5/7/2014This is a wine bar with appetizers and salads, all very good. But don't come here expecting a full dinner. There isn't even any coffee. We three were there early (5:15) and were the only customers, except for a couple sitting outside. When we left at about 6:30 there were still no other customers. How do they stay in business in this Union Square neighborhood, which is crowded with bars and restaurants? But it was fine for our needs on this particular day. (We were going to a concert that started at 7.) We would have been happier if espresso were available--and if they raised the level of the lighting; very dim.Special Features:
- Delicious!Mel525Dined on 3/27/2014Definitely a great place for drinks and appetizers. The food was delicious and so were the drinks. I went with 3 friends and it was the perfect fit for what we were looking for. The only reason I didn't give it five stars is because the drinks were fairly expensive and it was a tad loud. The food was very fairly priced though so it made up for the cost of the drinks :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Happy HourLizRDined on 1/24/2014I really enjoyed this restaurant. However, I was disappointed to find out that this Pierre Loti location does not have a Happy Hour - which is the whole reason my friend and I were going there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dark, dingy and indifferentFatChanceDined on 1/24/2014Tried to plop me down in a tight fitted area next to a grand canyon sized patron - my date would have been put off. Tables all around that were empty - but sorry, sir, they are reserved so you have only one choice. Went down to "The House" and had a great time - spent $200 or so. It was nice. Will likely never go to Pierre Loti again.
- Great spot for a dategftyrdesfhjjddhghDined on 1/2/2014The lights are dimmed just right and the music is at the right volume and energy level where you can hear each other and enjoy the conversation over drinks. We didn't eat much.. just drank and talked, and before I knew it almost 4 hours had gone by. I'll definitely be returning here for casual dates. The staff was friendly and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okayOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 12/20/2013This was my second time at this wine bar. The first time I went I was scoffed at because I didn't make a reservation so I made sure to make one for our upcoming visit. The wine selection is great. The service was poor - two waiters for the entire place - they couldn't keep up! And also the meat and cheese platter was embarrassing. The meats were awful and such small cheese portions. For $25 we should have gotten much more than that. I'd go back, but during the week when they might not be as busy. And I'd only do wine. The food isn't worth it.Special Features:
- Never fails to impressWineDined on 12/18/2013This is a favourite local spot. The staff are friendly, knowledgable, and attentive. Very reasonably priced, with a fantastic atmosphere. Can't recommend enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine & DineJakeDined on 12/6/2013Establishment, Hospitality, Wine List, Cheese Platter = AmazingSpecial Features:
- first dateOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/5/2013i went here recently on a first date. excellent atmosphere, great wine (malbec), and attentive service. next time i'd like to try some cheese!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Date LocationFudoshin1979Dined on 9/27/2013Selected this location as a first meeting destination for a beautiful woman I met online. Neither of us had been there before and arrived at 8pm. The staff was friendly, the ambience was very romantic and the interior (where we were seated) was quite nice. We must have been there for almost 2 hours drinking some delicious wine and enjoying selections from their tapas menu. The night was a great success and we had our first kiss right outside! I am certain we will be back there again. Perhaps I will book a date for exactly one year ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SolidBrandoncitoDined on 9/4/2013I met a girl for a date and we shared a bottle of wine and conversed uninterrupted for about 2 hours. It was lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keep your receipts! they overchargeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/19/2013They overcharged my credit card. I threw the receipt away, so it was a difficult situation to fix.
- We sat outside, right at thedlawVIPDined on 7/26/2013We sat outside, right at the door, and there was a vent below us, that had a horrible smell coming from it, which really ruined the dining experience.Special Features:
- Good neighborhood spotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/24/2013We went there prior to a show in Union square with some out of town visitors. Food, wine, ambience good. Small, intimate room, decent music, friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Light & EasyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/16/2013If it's a glass of wine and a little taste of something to go with it, Pierre Loti is a great place. While I would not recommend this place for the truly hungry, it does provide a cute and convenient atmosphere for those near the Union Square area seeking something on the light side. A small, slightly below ground outdoor area is provided for those wanting to enjoy the nicer weather. The interior has more ambience, but was packed and loud by 8pm. Apparently a popular spot, I was surprised that the hostess already had a table set aside for me when I approached her 15 minutes earlier than my reservation. She did, however, offered it to me immediately while I waited for my guest, and even knew me by first name.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Wine List ,Short of FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/3/2013The place is great for a first date that revolves around having some drinks and not worrying about being bothered by the staff. Although the food choices are limited the tuna tartar is delis!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Context: party of 2, 8pm Saturday,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/20/2013Context: party of 2, 8pm Saturday, was relatively quiet until after 9pm.Cozy dark ambianceWine pours were good (not stingy, but not super generous).The hostess and waitstaff were very nice, but you need to be assertive:- we were seated promptly- we were asked about wine choices and served relatively quickly- they gave us water in good time after we askedhowever:- they never followed up on whether we wanted any food or more drinks- they never took away our menus- after a while another waiter actually asked if he can take our menus, not because the table was small and we were basically on top of them, but because he needed them for another table. he never asked if we wanted anything from the menu when he took them
- We looked at the menu onlineSammmmDined on 4/13/2013We looked at the menu online before going to this place and liked all the options that they offered like cornish hen and quail. But when we got the to the restaurant, the only things on the menu were meat and cheese with no signs of entrees at all. It was very disappointing. And to top it all off, the service was dreadful.Special Features:
- I'd been to the Chelsea locationmybudsdontlieDined on 3/19/2013I'd been to the Chelsea location a number of times. This one has a limited food menu but everything was excellent. Decent price point, romantic ambiance--perfect date spot.Special Features:
- Worth a lookOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013A lot of really nice things about it, but it seemed to be a little bit caught between ideas of what it wants to be. Excellent wines. Some cheeses delicious, some a bit so-so. We were seated right by the service area and still had very uninterested service. Tried to use it for a Special Occasion but I get the idea it is more of a better-than-average regular hangout. In fact, if we lived in the area I think we would go a lot. But for something special, probably elsewhere.Special Features:
- small place and still couldntOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/14/2013small place and still couldnt get a waiters attention on valentines day... it is however dark and romantic.Special Features:
- My biggest problem was thatGreatTimbino140Dined on 2/7/2013My biggest problem was that they did not have my reservation in their system when i got there. we had to sit outside in the tented area which was "heated", although by the end of the night i could not feel my feet. i'd go back when winter is over or if they don't lose my reservation and let me sit inside.
- Lovely selection of remarkableOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 12/19/2012Lovely selection of remarkable Bordeaux and nice chees selection. Loved the ambience!Special Features:
- So long as you understandOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/16/2012So long as you understand that this is a wine bar with a pretty small selection of food, it's a cozy little place.....Special Features:
- A bit loud, weird smell fromOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/8/2012A bit loud, weird smell from the bar. Would not come back. Not great for a date.Special Features:
- This is a nice neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/15/2012This is a nice neighborhood spot for sure. That said, I can't really rate the food accurately because we only had a couple small plates. They play very chill music here and overall the place gives off a good vibe. Wine list is broad but I think they should re-organize the menu to make it easier to sift through.Special Features:
- The food menu is small howeverOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/10/2012The food menu is small however what we ordered was very good. The service has alot of room for improvement (possibly because they were so busy) however the server was extremly nice and when we could get his attention he was attentive.Special Features:
- music just a bit too loud...OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/26/2012music just a bit too loud... not always fun having to scream over the music to have a conversation. buy would go back.Special Features:
- Be sure to get a reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/13/2012Be sure to get a reservation because this place fills fast. It isn't large, which makes it very comfortable for small groups. The menu is extensive and perfect for snacks or even a meal. For the location, the prices are more than reasonable. This is my second visit and it won't be my last.Special Features:
- Prices and quality are top notchOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/15/2012This is a very comfortable little place with excellent atmosphere. The prices for the quality and location were excellent. Groups can easily have small plates order "tapas style" and find plenty of variety. I will definitely return, especially for special occasions.Special Features:
- pleasant surprise for neighborhood!ninaVIPDined on 9/4/2012perfect for what i was looking for - and i was pleasantly surprised...although i don't know what it would be like when it's full of people, noisy probably. nice edited wine list and good small plates to accompany comfortably seated and there were seats outside tooSpecial Features:
- My friends and I had an enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/11/2012My friends and I had an enjoyable time at Pierre Loti Wine Bar by Union Square. Staff was very friendly and attentive. They have an excellent wine menu. The ambiance was laid back. I would definitely go back with friends or on a romantic date.Special Features: