Pier Market Seafood Restaurant - Pier 39 SF
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Pier Market Seafood Restaurant - Pier 39 SF
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.piermarket.com/
- Phone: 4159897437x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday: 11:00 AM – 10:00 PM
Saturday – Sunday: 10:30 AM – 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wine
A word from Pier Market Seafood Restaurant - Pier 39 SF
Voted Best Seafood in San Francisco by KRON 4 TV Best of the Bay, Pier Market is an authentic sustainable seafood restaurant where the locals go for the freshest seafood in the city. Pier Market is family-owned and operated and one of the most popular dining destinations on Fisherman's Wharf. Pier Market has been selling San Francisco's freshest seafood for over 30 years. We feature Fresh, Mesquite-Grilled Fish and Meat, Crab, Pastas, Steaming bowls of our Award-Winning Clam Chowder, Authentic Sourdough Bread. Enjoy watching our chefs at work in full view of our bustling open kitchen overlooking the San Francisco Bay, the PIER 39 sea lions and Alcatraz Island. We also offer al fresco dining on our wide-open patio.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pier Market Seafood Restaurant - Pier 39 SF reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (28)great for lunch (17)kid-friendly (12)good for groups (10)great for outdoor dining (9)special occasion (8)fit for foodies (7)neighborhood gem (4)great for brunch (3)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- wasnt disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014Before going on vacation. I spent some time online reviewing places to eat while around pier 39. I was looking for some good clam chowder. I wasn't disappointed after eating at The Pier Market. 3 of the 4 in my party all had the clam chowder sourdough bowl and salad combo. Really good chowder. Would difinently go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crab cakes should contain crabmeatACKlewDined on 10/8/2014It didn't occur to me that a seafood restaurant would butcher crab cakes. They're a staple menu item that seafood lovers love to order. These had so much filler that it was hard to taste any crabmeat at all. And they might as well not have had any because it would have been wasted. The crab cakes were gummy and dense and pretty much inedible. It's a restaurant that gets a lot of tourist trade -- people not likely to be repeat customers. Maybe people from landlocked states prefer their crab cakes to be crabless, but I doubt it. In any case, this was inexcusable. DO NOT ORDER THE CRAB CAKES! My wife had a seafood pasta dish that she thought was pretty good. And the excellent server, Genevieve, apologized for the crab cakes and comped them.
- EnjoyableLoveditDined on 9/29/2014Food was very good - I really enjoyed the Cioppino. Went with a party of 6, and everyone else really liked their meals as well. The table was cramped as there were groups of 6 on either side of our table, so it make it tough to get in and out of the table. The table behind us was quite noisy (until their food arrived) which made it tough to carry on conversations at our table. Service was good but not great. Overall, it was a good value for the Fisherman's Wharf area and I would recommend it.Special Features:
- DecentFoodiefavDined on 9/27/2014Clean environment, friendly staff, food was good but really general.Special Features:
- jcoolitDined on 9/13/2014Excellent service and food. Will plan to go there again when in San Francisco.Special Features:
- Over rated and poor serviceCriticalDined on 9/3/2014Starters arrived before drinks. Not all drinks ever arrived. Food was nice but expensive and service or ambience didn't match up.
- Excellent clam chowderLulu68Dined on 8/29/2014Excellent clam chowder!!! Will definitely be back again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time.damianDined on 8/29/2014I love seafood. First time in the bay. Wonderful amazing food and staff. Everything is perfect. Literally.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened?JW3700VIPDined on 8/28/2014I previously loved this restaurant, but I was extremely disappointed this trip. The food was greasy and didn't taste fresh. It seemed like tourist fare instead of a quality fish restaurant.Special Features:
- missccDined on 8/27/2014I had the skewer of swordfish, salmon and prawn and it was delicious. Our waitress was lovely and there is a great buzz in this restaurant. Would recommend a visit to this place for the fish but booking is probably a good idea as it was busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a wonderful dining experienceLovedSFDined on 8/24/2014I made a dinner reservation for my son's 15th birthday at 6:45pm. We opted to dine early since we were done with our City Tour. They were able to sit us right a way. The food was delicious and my son who was celebrating his birthday was very pleased with his Grilled Salmon on Bannock Bread. So much so that he requested that we come back another day (which we did!). When we returned the next day, I got the Clam Chowder in a Sourdough Bowl & Salad Combo. Loved it. My husband and other son also enjoyed their meals. Also, our server, Terry, made my son's birthday special by giving him a chocolate cupcake with a candle. We would definitely dine here again if/when we visit SF another time.Special Features:
- Great Experience!CookiewaffleDined on 8/20/2014I ordered a garlic crab and enjoyed it very much. My husband love the mixed grill set. We also ordered the fresh oysters and fried calamari. Oysters are really fresh but the calamari was average. Overall the bill came out pricey but still enjoy dining with a scenic view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014I have eaten have eaten here several times in the past and food was good. Our food was not good. There were 4 of us. We all ordered different items. The seafood was not good. Greasy undercooked, fishy smelling. I could not eat mine. I wasnt even asked if there was something wrong with my food. My husband ate one half his fried fish assortment. His did not taste good either. The only plate of food that as eaten was my son's ribs. He said they were very good. $144.00 later I felt like I had been ripped off. It was noisy in the restaurant and not as clean as it had been in the past. I will not be going back in the future.
- Great ending to a great dayAlongthewayDined on 8/15/2014This place was just what we were looking for after playing in the city all day.
- fireattorneyDined on 8/10/2014Okay food. My husband's lobster didn't taste like lobster. Good, friendly service. My clam Chowder was good.Special Features:
- Yummy!TexasblingDined on 7/16/2014Excellent, although first thing the waiter Terry said was "I don't want to be here". Not something you want to hear from your server. Food was phenomenal though. Recommend a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening in San Fran!SFtravelersDined on 6/28/2014The hostess, bartender, and waiter were the best. Loved the view, service, and food and drink! We strongly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Crab evermendmyselfDined on 6/22/2014The food was great. Fish was fresh but do donot order the fish and chips. The batter was bready and not yummySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing crab cakesDinerwithkidsDined on 6/18/2014We were visiting the Wharf with our two young children and wanted a place near the sea lions. The views were pretty good and the ambience was great, but we were somewhat disappointed in the food. The clam chowder and the sourdough bread were fantastic, but we were really let down by our entrees, the crab cakes. As with a lot of restaurants, they overdid the breading and you didn't get much crab in them. I felt like I was eating dry biscuits with crab infused in them. Not what I was hoping for at all. We liked the overall restaurant though, so would go back but definitely would try a different entrée.Special Features:
- The following 123 reviews are from the Pier Market Seafood Restaurant - Pier 39 SF reviews archive.
- wrong choiceflaviatDined on 6/15/2014As the waitress suggested I choosed cioppino, but the sauce was too spicy that I didn´t enjoyed my meal. Another thing I didn´t like was that the restaurant was participating in the dine about town, but the restaurant did not have a menu for the event; the waitress had to go ask about the menu and brought it written on a piece of paper .... very disappointing!Special Features:
- Excellent LunchJaneDined on 6/14/2014Booked a table in advance and arrived to find it available after a short wait whilst it was cleared. Table was by the window with excellent view. Service good and server knowledgable and efficient. Have visited again since already!Special Features:
- OK touristy spotend0isticDined on 6/7/2014You won't win any awards for creativity here. Service was inattentive and misinformed. We went for Dine About Town to try it out. I would not go back, even with the lunch/dinner specials. The food was ok, but the server did not even have a menu for us--he read it off an iphone. He also did not know what side dishes came with the entrees and I ended up with 2 crab cakes served with a slice of lemon as a main. That's it. The sourdough bread's pretty good though, so at least they got that going for them.Special Features:
- Good food and good serviceGreatVIPDined on 6/2/2014The food and service were good. We had a window seat and the view was nice.Special Features:
- Great fish lovely viewMaryDined on 6/1/2014We had excellent fish here. Service was very friendly and attentive. Lovely views over the bay. We would recommend this placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChopinoChopinotripDined on 5/25/2014Good food. Good location on pier 39. Good Service and good view. Will come back again.Special Features:
- ChowderFoodieFoodDined on 5/15/2014New England clam chowder in the sour dough bread bowl was awesome. Also loved the sour dough garlic bread - great kick to it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mehAmyuDined on 5/15/2014I was not impressed. Food was not great, service was slow even with a reservation. I have had better seafood in the Midwest.
- This is a MUST see and MUST taste!RoyBDined on 5/5/2014We had a great time at this restaurant. The food was great and the setting was amazing! My wife had the salmon and said that it was prepared perfectly. I had the "off menu" vegetarian pasta and it was surprisingly good. I decided to try the garlic fries because they seemed to be a local favorite. I highly recommend them as well. We will certainly return to the Pier Market Seafood Restaurant the next time we visit San Francisco!Special Features:
- Pier MarketDebbieDined on 4/11/2014Food was good, service was excellent, Fish and chips, the fish was very good, chips needed help. Butter and garlic potatoes no butter flavor. All the Seafood was flavorful, but sides beefed some help.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Reataurant at Pier 39nmarrDined on 4/7/2014If you are looking for great food, at a great price, with great service and it must be on San Francisco's Pier 39, then look no further than Pier Market Seafood Restaurant. We had a table of six and there was no problem accommodating us or getting our order right. You will have a great view of the bay, but it may be a little too sunny for you, like it was for us. They could use some pull down shades when the sun is shinning in on the patrons, but other then that every thing else was perfect.Special Features:
- Great Anytime!chatteycathiDined on 4/5/2014Due to SF traffic on Embarccadero, which took a 1/2 hr. & hard to find parking, we were 45 min. late for our lunch reservation. They laughed & seated us within 5 minutes. It was 3pm, but the place was hoppin'. We ordered 1/2 crab, chowder & ceasar salad. Messy & delicious! The garlic herb with the crab was yummy! I did ask for extra melted butter, tho~This was a late lunch before art class: a really fun day in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clam ChowderMarvelousDined on 3/30/2014This restaurant had a great view and great staff. The clam chowder was delicious! It was hearty and full of the good stuff! I had to come back the next day for seconds!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best clam chowder on the pierJanelleDined on 3/23/2014We chose to eat here after looking at reviews for seafood restaurants in the San Francisco area. On arrival, we were quickly seated by a window in the smaller room off to the side, which had a beatiful view of the harbor and sunset. Our server arrived promptly, as did our drink order and warm bread. Two of us ordered the clam chowder in a breadbowl, and it was delicious. The bread was fresh and the chowder was hearty. Another is our group ordered the Cioppino and he enjoyed every last bite. The Seafood Penne was cooked to perfection. We checked in on Yelp and received a free order of garlic bread, which was yummy. The service was outstanding, even when our server went on break. We will definitely return next time we are in San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was fine.Good restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 3/22/2014Food was fine.Good restaurant to try while at Pier 39Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunny seafood lunch with friendsRocheDined on 3/15/2014The menu was great (I sampled with Ciopinnio which was beautiful with plenty of sourdough), full of seafood however I would have liked to see more non-seafood options for others. The service/waiter was very good and helpful for us tourist/travellers as well as a note of good sharp professional appearance. The toilet arrangement could be improved as the 3 times I went over 4 hours there was a long line and it seemed parents with kids were having trouble also. For a weekend lunch I would have liked to have seen a one man quiet guitar/singer maybe play some easy going tunes to improve the ambience. Overall our experience was great and we would love to go back should we travel back through San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and locationEdSFDined on 3/11/2014Great service - reasonable prices for restaurant in a touristy area. Having lived in SF Bay Area, the food (comparatively) is good, nothing to rave about though (not bad, just nothing to go jumping up and down for).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reasonable for tourist destinationOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 2/17/2014I was surprised at the reasonable prices since the restaurant is located at Pier 39. Great view and great selections on menu.Special Features:
- Not the way I expected ....butjb408Dined on 2/14/2014Not the way I expected ....but they can make it work no doubtSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tourist Attraction for sureAndreaATLVIPDined on 2/10/2014Food was just ok, no more than 2.5/3 stars. Service slow for a 530 reservations and with birds flying around we won't be back. :-(
- Our dinner reservation wasBuddDined on 2/5/2014Our dinner reservation was excellent. Service was great and the food was delicious. We met friends who were in SF to catch a cruise ship on the Queen Elizabeth. They enjoyed the ambience, food, and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.