Pier 23 Cafe
Pier 23, On The Embarcadero
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Pier 23 Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pier23cafe.com/
- Phone: 4153625125
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Dinner : Daily: 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Matt Garcia
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Party platters available for pick-up for events off site.
- Private Party Facilities: Small alcove available for parties of up to 10. Heated tent with bay views available for groups of up to 60.
- Private Party Contact: Lara Mitchell 4153625125
- Cross Street: Greenwhich
- Public Transit: The Muni F-Line light rail stops directly in front of Pier 23 Cafe. We are a ten minute walk from the Ferry Building and ten minutes from Fisherman’s Wharf.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There are several public lots within walking distance of the restaurant. Some public parking lots close early so check the signs.
A word from Pier 23 Cafe
Pier 23 Cafe is a unique waterfront restaurant specializing in fresh seafood, live music and beautiful views of San Francisco bay. Family owned and operated for over 25 years, Pier 23 Cafe captures the heart and soul of a city obsessed with food. The large bay side patio allows patrons to soak up the California sun while enjoying creative dishes made from fresh, local ingredients. Night time dining in the heated tent is complimented by maritime activity and amazing views of Treasure Island and the Berkeley Hills. Come down and enjoy a true local favorite and experience some real waterfront history.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Pier 23 Cafe - Best Restaurants in Financial District / Embarcadero ›
Pier 23 Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
126 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (105)scenic view (96)great for lunch (69)good for groups (38)neighborhood gem (36)great for brunch (35)kid-friendly (26)hot spot (26)vibrant bar scene (25)fit for foodies (22)special occasion (18)romantic (14)late-night find (11)notable wine list (2)Show More
- San Francisco at its best.ViktorDined on 8/28/2014I recently discovered Pier 23 and wonder what took me so long. In the evening parking is easy, the food is terrific, the prices are reasonable, the view is fantastic, and the crowd is hip. In the summer month, the outdoor seating can accommodate large groups, perfect for a party or celebration. The staff is always friendly. What else can one ask for? Check it out. Live music enhances the experience.Special Features:
- It was okay.Tsmalls24Dined on 8/24/2014We had a reservation for 8 people at 7:30pm and the server was rushing us to order because the kitchen was closing at 8pm. They shouldn't allow the later reservation if they are worried about getting out on time. The food was just okay. I ordered the shrimp & crab sandwich because it was on DDD. It needed something. It was very bland. However, the Mac & Cheese and the crab cocktail were very good. The crab cakes and fish & chips were decent. I would probably give it another try. It's right on the water, so the view is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing SpecialTM82VIPDined on 8/22/2014Nice to sit on the water, but the inlet is actually pretty gross. Plus it's currently being dredged. Service was slow, not particularly inattentive. Food lacked flavor and seasoning. Seafood was fresh, but preparations fell pretty flat.
- Great lunch spotKinkibeacherDined on 8/16/2014Good food at a good price with a nice atmosphere . Dress warm for dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a great SF EateryMondoDined on 8/15/2014After making reservations about a week in advance, I received a call the day before letting me know the Dungeness crab would not be available(as requested). The gentleman made several other suggestions. Upon arrival I was giving an apology for no crab and a beautiful complimentary crab salad appetizer. It shows that they care about their diners and their food and beer selection is great. Smallish Great menu. One of my favorites in SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cioppino!!!luv2eatDined on 8/14/2014Had reservations for 8pm, got there early and was seated right away. We were given the choice to be seated outside on the pier of their covered patio, we chose covered patio because it gets pretty cold and windy at night. Our waiter Caleb, was very attentive and friendly. Had the cioppino that was filled with fresh crab in a perfectly spiced tomato broth with really good crusty bread. The bacon mac and cheese was AMAZING! If you came just for this, it would be worth it. The cheeseburger was average. Overall, definitely a place to go back to!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So bad, so sad ...SadfaceVIPDined on 8/13/2014The food was underwhelming, the view was lacking, the service was glacial, and the overall experience was simply dumpy. And, we were seated next to a table of over-served rabble rousers and their waiter continued to bring them shots of whiskey. One guy face-planted into a window. It was karma. Some might call this local flavor. I just call it unappealing.
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014I could dine on their patio every week. The view of the hills and bay are amazing. Our food was some of the best we have ever had in San Francisco. The menu variety will always keep you wanting something new.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Declining!HNobesDined on 8/11/2014This was our 6th visit to Pier 23 Cafe and it was NOT a good experience. The food was good but the experience was poor. We sat outside and it took 30-40 minutes in between our appetizer and main dishes - throughout that long wait, not one of the five wait staff working outdoors stopped to fill our drinks or provide an update on kitchen activity. After a request for bread (to replace the burnt toast that came with his meal) was ignored by another patron, he loudly chastised the wait staff loitering by the back counter seemingly doing nothing. Then, it took another 20 at the end of the meal to have someone collect our payment. The kicker -- the outside deck was only about 50% full as our reservation was in the late afternoon!
- mloconteDined on 8/11/2014food was good but the service was awful... We were a party of 7. One person didn't get served until at least 10 minutes later than the rest of the table. when we asked about her meal, the waitress said, in a very snotty tone, "its on its way"... drinks and napkins had to be asked for several times. at least it was a beautiful day to sit outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!brakattack18Dined on 8/10/2014After seeing Pier 23 on the Food Network, my husband and I knew we had to try it! The food was fantastic... the fish tacos and Crab Bisque are a must try! This was a nice change of pace from the craziness of Pier 39, and it was only a 10 minute walk away. Great food, amazing views and a fun atmosphere! Loved it! Will definitely be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- my birthday celebrationroxycelebrationDined on 8/9/2014My sister and I enjoy the food. The only suggestion is cioppino needs improvement. We had it at 7 Mile and the recipe is much better there. Well, we didn't say anything and nobody could tell but there were two Chefs among our group so I value their opinion. They are Professional Chefs. It was good for brunch. But I wanted to celebrate my birthday and of course have dinner. Unfortunately, the sitting was kind of tight. the tables are too close together no elbow room.Special Features:
- Great View of the Bayjla26Dined on 8/2/2014A bit noisy, food was very good. There is no place to stand while waiting for your table. I liked the live music but the band took up the entire bar space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Room with a viewSterlingDined on 8/2/2014Had friends in from out of town and wanted to take them to a San Francisco icon and I couldn't have been happier with the service and food. They loved sitting on the pier looking out on the water as sail boats went by as we had the cioppino, clams and mussels. It was all very tasty and our waitress could not have been nicer. She was a delight and very friendly. I love taking my out of town guest there to show them SF at it's finest and you didn't disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a touristy trap restaurantMikeC442Dined on 7/31/2014We went to the Pier 23 Cafe after a busy day touring San Francisco based on the recommendation of staff at the Exploratorium and Trip Advisor. A great contrast to the touristy places a few piers down on the waterfront. Food tasted great, service was attentive, and had a great view seated outside. Reminded us of a locals restaurant vs one catering to tourists. Open Table's reservation was helpful in getting us seated quickly too.Special Features:
- Oh my,SfnativeVIPDined on 7/30/2014As always, one of my very favorite places in The City. I was born her and There are so few places that are still San Francisco and this is truly one of them. Thank you for everything you do to keep it original and the food fresh and always... YummmmSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vibrant atmosphere, great food!Emrr01Dined on 7/27/2014I booked a table in advance after seeing good reviews, found out that there was live music that evening so I emailed to check my timings, as would be nice to catch some music. The manager emailed straight back with his recommendation to move table forward abit and offered to sort it out. The evening did not disappoint, we were seated quickly, the food was great and the atmosphere was brilliant. We could hear the music from where we were sitting and it was a fun night. The service was great. A good find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining by the BayTerri2640VIPDined on 7/27/2014Staff should have mentioned when we called to find out about parking that the SF Marathon was happening and that we should plan accordingly due to event. The place was hopping at 12:30 p.m. on a sunny Sunday afternoon. We were celebrating an anniversary that was never acknowledged by the staff (why ask about special instructions?). Cocktails were great. The chowder was delicious. but should have been served hotter. The mussels and clams were delicious, very salty broth and overcooked. The shrimp and crab sandwich was superb. We would skip the Crab and Shrimp Louie for $20-mainly because there should have been more lettuce (pre-seasoned and limp). Service was slow and haphazard. Definitely need to be patient and not on a time table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must!pieceofcakeDined on 7/25/2014Excellent food and service! We had the fish tacos, mussels and crab sandwich...all wonderful.Special Features:
- NuttieNuttieDined on 7/20/2014Friendly staff, excellent food, great location/view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- steveVIPDined on 7/19/2014Nice afternoon for lunch! Too bad the construction is happening next door -- but should be over soon!Special Features:
- Saw on DDD food networkgtoscottDined on 7/19/2014Went into the city before a game, made reservations for lunch , which was a good idea. We were sat at a table outside with a great view. The four of us had a beer, appetizers and a sandwich. All of the items were really good and it was more than we could eat . Service was good but expect to pay $25-$30 for lunch which I would expect to pay for dinner, but after all this is SFSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location but not the foodeugcinellaDined on 7/18/2014Food was sub par, especially considering its location. Ordered crab bisque, no essence of crab. Fish and Chip......fish way too salty. Ribs was fall off the bone......boiled and baked. Lots of better restaurant options nearby, please don't waste your time and money.Special Features:
- Met new wife & family of old friendOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/18/2014Heving not seen Denny in over 35 years, and never his wife or children, I was prepared to be a little overwhelmed. I wasn't sure that I would even recognize him. The atmosphere and your staff were very competent, and put all of us virtual strangers at ease. The environment was perfect to allow us to catch up without disturbance. The food was excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/13/2014We were celebrating my husband's birthday and we wanted to watch the World Cup Final. Pier 23 was perfect for both of these events. We went to the bar area first, but there were no seats available. One of the bartenders very nicely let us know of a couple who was leaving and encouraged us to go stand next to them so we could get their seats. Super helpful!!! Our drinks were tasty and not super pricey. The host and our waiter were wonderful. We never wanted for anything. The food was delicious. We will definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great non-touristy lunch spotjane2Dined on 7/12/2014Awesome food, service, & drinks. A little pricey but well worth it :) Crab & shrimp sandwich was delicious. Would definitely recommend it, and recommend making a reservation, it's a busy spot and you want a table outside!Special Features:
- Always fun for Happy HourSyjazellVIPDined on 7/11/2014Pier 23 has a great selection of small plates & drinks. Add that to sitting out on the pier in sunny weather and it makes a perfect Happy Hour location. I have never had bad service at Pier 23 and Avi was a particularly fun and efficient wait person.Special Features:
- Great music/beer. Bad service/foodSFNativeDined on 7/6/2014The fabulous Josh Jones Jazz was playing inside with two tables within 2 feet of the band and no food service so we took a table outside. The service was terrible and disorganized. We had 4 or 5 servers and no one clearly in charge. The food was worse! We were 3 in our party. We ordered steamed shellfish as a starter and another server literally threw down 2 bowls and 2 small forks and walked away. Finally after flagging another guy someone else showed up with a big size fork, no bowl, slammed it down on the table well out of reach of the person who needed it and left. I had to flag down someone else again to ask for bread. Other servers brought duplicates of our drink orders and bread and no one had yet taken our order for entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeHoneymooners2013Dined on 7/5/2014We went to pier 23 4th of July weekend and sat out side for lunch. The food was wonderful. My husband had the crab/shrimp sandwich and I had fish and chips, both of which were mouth wateringly good. We would definitely recommend it and plan on going again next time we are in town from Atlanta! I would also recommend sitting outside as the view of the bay is breathtaking (we even had a seal hang out in the water as we ate). Good food, good atmosphere, no complaints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coastal Casual-tasty food w/view1secretdinerDined on 7/3/2014Overall this was a great place to reconnect with a few friends and enjoy the beautiful weather outdoors. Hostesses appear to need additional training. I had a reservation through open table, but at check in they didn't ask, in fact I felt a little ignored. I had to flag the host as a few people came in after me and we're seated before me. I was told to choose a seat anywhere, but when I pointed to a table nearest the water, I was told the table was closed. Then after I was situated, minutes later someone was seated in the "closed" table. fortunately that was the end of any challenges! The food server was fantastic and attentive. Limited menu but a Ford able and tasty options for a perfect coastal casual meal with great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum...TadamsDined on 7/2/2014Outstanding seafood sandwich and salads! Service was attentive and we were seated promptly at 1 for lunch with a reservation.With so many choices pier 23 was recommended from a friend. Grateful for that. The noise level was hi due to constructionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BushwoodsDined on 7/1/2014Peek in and you'll be hooked! The staff and ambience are awesome and the sea food is incredible! Also, you might consider the tee shirt, very unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CelebrationyummyTummyDined on 6/30/2014Our dinning experience was very enjoyable as my family and I celebrated my birthday. We remembered seeing the cafe on Tripple "D" and wanted to try it out. We were not disappointed. The men had the Shrimp&Crab sandwiches, while the ladies had the Fish Tacos and the Clams & Mussels with spaghetti.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/26/2014The food and the service were excellent. We would highly recommend.Special Features:
- fun spot for lunchluv2dineDined on 6/24/2014I make it a point to take out of town guests here and we always have a great time and meal!Special Features:
- Great food. A little coldveddyDined on 6/21/2014The food was great and view of the water were great. We sat outside for dinner. It was a bit windy and cold. They only had two heaters outside. They customers would really benefit from more of them. Other them being cold, we loved this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchlovethewaterviewsDined on 6/21/2014Our lunch experience was great from service, to views to food! Great place, we will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food - Great viewsPickyDinerVIPDined on 6/19/2014Ambience not great but the food and service was a real find. Considering location and tourist revenue, cost was very reasonable. Not upscale but definitely recommendable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local spotOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/18/2014If your visiting S.F. it's worth the visit. Beer selection is good and seafood is excellentSpecial Features:
- Wonderful Meal!RebyDined on 6/15/2014We were able to reserve a table for 8 on Father's Day only a few days before. There server was attentive and patient with our indecisive group. I had the crab & shrimp sandwich with crab only & I am still thinking about it! I plan to return on my next SF trip.Special Features: