Pier 23 Cafe
Pier 23, On The Embarcadero
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Pier 23 Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pier23cafe.com/
- Phone: (415) 362-5125
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Dinner : Daily: 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Matt Garcia
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Party platters available for pick-up for events off site.
- Private Party Facilities: Small alcove available for parties of up to 10. Heated tent with bay views available for groups of up to 60.
- Private Party Contact: Lara Mitchell 4153625125
- Cross Street: Greenwhich
- Public Transit: The Muni F-Line light rail stops directly in front of Pier 23 Cafe. We are a ten minute walk from the Ferry Building and ten minutes from Fisherman’s Wharf.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There are several public lots within walking distance of the restaurant. Some public parking lots close early so check the signs.
A word from Pier 23 Cafe
Pier 23 Cafe is a unique waterfront restaurant specializing in fresh seafood, live music and beautiful views of San Francisco bay. Family owned and operated for over 25 years, Pier 23 Cafe captures the heart and soul of a city obsessed with food. The large bay side patio allows patrons to soak up the California sun while enjoying creative dishes made from fresh, local ingredients. Night time dining in the heated tent is complimented by maritime activity and amazing views of Treasure Island and the Berkeley Hills. Come down and enjoy a true local favorite and experience some real waterfront history.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Pier 23 Cafe - Best Restaurants in Financial District / Embarcadero ›
Pier 23 Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (105)scenic view (91)great for lunch (69)good for groups (46)neighborhood gem (37)kid-friendly (25)fit for foodies (22)hot spot (21)great for brunch (20)vibrant bar scene (19)late-night find (12)romantic (11)special occasion (9)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Great food with a great view!Pier23Dined on 11/9/2014We went to brunch last Sunday and had a fabulous time. Pier 23 offers a great view of the bay while being able to dine on fresh oysters and crab sandwiches. Outdoor seating is a must for here and the service can be a little slow at times but the wait staff is friendly and the atmosphere can't be beat. Recommend this to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We felt like Family!DebbEVIPDined on 11/7/2014I specifically requested a certain table…and when we arrived it was available but the hostess insisted I take a look at another table. Her choice of course was 10 times better than my request! How often does a restaurant go that far…most often they would reserve the table you requested and then leave it at that. But no not Pier 23, our table was perfect with the perfect view, especially because one of us had never been to SF before. So thank you Pier 23 for treating us like family…as usual, I might add! Pier 23 is always on our list of "must see" for family and friends visiting!Special Features:
- Fun, casual, good foodSFFoodieVIPDined on 10/31/2014Fun and friendly place for lunch on the bay. Outdoor seating as well as a covered outdoor area that was good on a rainy day. The food is improved since my last visit (a while ago) and was good across the board. Great fish tacos, and others enjoyed the ahi and other sandwiches. Lots of seafood to choose from. Good beer on tap and solid wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots of history hereKatyVIPDined on 10/24/2014I have been coming to this old bar and restaurant for years. The food was better in the past. Watched a baseball game and the locals were friendly. If they improved the food the setting is exactly what someone like me enjoys, music, food and a bar .Special Features:
- Excellent atmosphere; Live musicEastBayCustomerVIPDined on 10/22/2014Excellent waterfront bar and restaurant with live music entertainment; great service staff and fun atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not like it used to be.KabuDined on 10/19/2014We were disappointed that there are no longer fried oysters served. We had the calamari, it was over breaded and overcooked. The Bloody Mary's used to be better too.Special Features:
- So So !posieDined on 10/18/2014Very disappointing. Fish and Chips , so so. Swordfish was cut way too thin and overpowered by the peppercorns. One person had the hamburger and he said it was very good, we thought we should have said that about the sea food dishes. Also disappointed in the Mai Ti's they were way so sour.
- always love this placebrunchVIPDined on 10/17/2014but was disappointed in the thai prawn curry noodles. Do not recommend at all. But the crab shrimp sandwich is a keeper.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eating in the dark2disappointedDined on 10/11/20146:45 reservations, no lights outside. By the end of our meal we we almost in darkness!!!! Never again.Special Features:
- Perfect for a good meal and a viewmikeDined on 10/7/2014We went for dinner and we're quickly seated. We had a great view of the bay on a beautiful evening. Food and service were good, wait staff friendly. Great place to enjoy a game with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food2foodiesDined on 10/6/2014Great local place for gourmet food. The price was well within reason. We ordered crab cakes and a crab salad sandwich. Both were fresh and delicious. Our waiter was knowledgeable and friendly. Good views of the Bay from their outside seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only basicsavguruDined on 10/1/2014I ordered the swordfish it was horrible my gf order the chopino it was so so. Great place but jay order a burger they should give up On fancy food the chef can't handle itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Check it OutSFgalVIPDined on 9/30/2014Right on the Embarcadero, this well established cafe serves great seafood and other comfort entrees and happy hour appetizers and drink specials. Live music every night with musicians who have a local following. Service is friendly and catch the game on TV while you are there. Lively covered outside seating with a view of the bay.Special Features:
- Great With FriendsswimtoeatDined on 9/28/2014We brought some friends from eastern Ontario Canada. It was perfect. Locals and tourists. Our waitress was really great. She talked with us and served all with seeming ease. I would go back and ask to sit in her section again. Lovely dinner. We sat outside so the noise level was fine. Inside was noisy as there was a band.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DTK1Dined on 9/28/2014We had reservations before the SF Giants game for brunch. Sunny day so we sat on the outside deck. Great drinks and reasonable prices. Food was uniquely/well prepared, tasty, and reasonably priced. Service was a little slow at 10:30 A, but by 11A, they had more than adequate staff for prompt service from the waitress and the other staff. This is the second time I have been there and will go again. First time, I took a group 8 of students and a couple of faculty. We had a great time sitting out on the deck. The variety and quality of food and beverages on the menu met the needs of all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 95impalaDined on 9/27/2014After a brisk walk from AT&T Park to the restaurant, we enjoyed outdoor dining on a beautiful day. Great service - good food. We've eaten here before and we'll be back again.Special Features:
- Fabulous food and virwbrunchVIPDined on 9/25/2014Crab and shrimp Louie salad was great!! Service always wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingSkippyDined on 9/23/2014This was my first time to this restaurant and I've always thought/heard it would be a fun place to hang out. It wasn't. I had reservations and we arrived on time. We then had to wait 20 minutes for our table so we waited at the bar, not that big a deal. When we did get out table, it wasn't even a window table on the patio, it was in the middle of the room and it was getting dark fast so not much of a view since we lost 20 minutes of our patio time. The food was sub par. Oysters were fine. The Cioppino was not great and after it was served they came and replaced it becauuse they said it had sat there too long! The Thai Curry Prawns were odd. No curry, just peanut sauce on the bottom and crunchy noodle chip things on top. Not good.
- The real dealOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/15/2014Yes it's famous. Yes it's been on TV. Ok. By the way it's also great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!!!SuzyGDined on 9/12/2014My family's dining experience was so much fun!! We enjoyed EVERYTHING! Excellent Bloody Mary! We recommend the Crab & Shrimp Louie sandwich. We ate our lunch on the outside cafe and loved the fresh air and beautiful bay view! We strongly recommend this dining experience!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent view and good food.GunrunnerDined on 9/11/2014Pier 23 Cafe has always been a favorite place. I always take friends from out of town there. It is far enough away from Fisherman's Wharf to keep the casual tourist away. The views from the patio are fantastic. The food is really good (try the steamed mussels and clams). I have enjoyed this place for many years.Special Features:
- Late lunch findCindyDined on 9/8/2014I love that the people there have a sense of humor about themselves - from the posters on the wall, the t shirts and their casual excellent service. Great food and lovely view.Special Features:
- Tacos an seals!Mrsjakeman1Dined on 9/6/2014Flavor some good, a great Sunny spot for a brunch or lunch with views of the bay with the occasional seal in view delightfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better Than the Snob Restaurants19YReunionDined on 9/6/2014Food server attentive but not overbearing. Dishes selected by all in group of 6 was tasty, fresh, warm for the appropriate dishes. One skill was that server/busboy didn't pick up empty plates as they appeared but allowed them to stay in place while others were eating. A real balancing act that was handled well by the staff. Loved the low-key "buzz" ambiance. Our guests were New Yawkers who thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Best part? The bartender actually know how to put a classic Manhattan together. Very few bartenders can produce the real thing. The folks behind the bar at Pier 23 can! Reservations were for 1:00 PM. One couple got caught up in crash on 101 Northbound, thus were late. Hostess was so empathetic reinforced its OKSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality of foodTeriDined on 9/6/2014Calamari has always been my favorite but something was a bit different about it this time and not sure if they changed it or not. I liked it better in the pastSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchFoodJunkieVIPDined on 9/5/2014After seeing it on DDD, I wanted to go. The food was average and althought the outdoor seating was great, we had a view of a large barge with a crane dredging. Overall, it seemed over priced but the waiter was the best part!Special Features:
- What happened to Pier 23dervinVIPDined on 8/31/2014Been going for years, and the last few times we have been disappointed with the food. We always go for brunch and I order the Huavos rancheros. It's my favorite and I have had it served several different ways. Have never had it served on top of cole slaw! One little egg, no beans little bit of salsa. My husband orders the breakfast sandwich and asked what it came with. The waitress responded , I think it comes with French fries. I think? Really? It was a warm day, we got there at 10:30 and they seated us along the fence in the sun. We asked if we coiuld sit in the shade. Responce? No, we don't have servers for those tables yet. Really? Too many good restaurants in the area. It's a shame.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014We had a large party and the evening was most enjoyable. The food was quite good and a reasonable value. The service was friendly and attentive although one entree came out quite late. I would dine here again and recommend it to others. A very fun time was had by all.Special Features:
- What A Great LunchLovetoeatDined on 8/30/2014We got to Pier23 after flying into San Francisco from Las Vegas we got there a little early but we were seated right away even though they were busy. We got an outside table on the patio as I requested. The place was lot's of fun and hopping. The food was fresh and super good. I pretty much wanted to try every thing I saw coming out of the kitchen. I had the lobster & crab sandwich and it was fantastic. The portions were big and the drinks were great. The weather that day was sunny and 70. What a perfect lunch. Thanks to the great staff at Pier23. BobSpecial Features:
- great lunchtehamapamDined on 8/30/2014We went for lunch on an absolutely beautiful day. We were seated immediately outside. My crab and shrimp sandwich was awesome. Our server was very good also. Overall, a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodTheoutoftownersDined on 8/29/2014The food was great, the reservations had to be changed due to my schedule. That was no problem. For San Francisco, the price was good. The amount of food for the price was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence on the Embarcadero!!!BeastfoodieDined on 8/29/2014Where do I start? The outdoor seating and scenery, the beer garden and just the fun atmosphere of the place, make this one of my favorite places in SF. The food is absolutely superb, with the freshest seafood!!! We ordered the crab and shrimp sandwich, the calamari and the muscles and clams. The sourdough bread of the crab and shrimp sandwich was so soft and fresh, it's melts in your mouth like Angel food cake!! Both the crab and shrimp are super fresh. The calamari was cooked perfectly and the Sriracha aioli was scrumptious!! Last but not least were the clams and muscles. If you are a seafood lover, this is the dish for you. Fresh cooked clams and muscles drizzled with a garlic lemon butter sauce. Love this place and we will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pier 23CammVIPDined on 8/29/2014Great meal with a great server on a beautiful day in SFSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Francisco at its best.ViktorDined on 8/28/2014I recently discovered Pier 23 and wonder what took me so long. In the evening parking is easy, the food is terrific, the prices are reasonable, the view is fantastic, and the crowd is hip. In the summer month, the outdoor seating can accommodate large groups, perfect for a party or celebration. The staff is always friendly. What else can one ask for? Check it out. Live music enhances the experience.Special Features:
- Great view of the BayTheDesignStylistVIPDined on 8/28/2014Stopped here with out-of-town visitors for lunch after touring Alcatraz. Since it was mid-week, early lunch they weren't busy. If you aren't there right after opening, you will need to make reservations (fills up quickly). Compliments to our server who was really attentive and knowledgeable about the menu items. Three in our party ordered the fish and chips which was really delicious (light batter on the fish served with garlic fries). Not your average bar food. If you like raw oysters, the Mignonette Sauce was one of the best I've had -- East or West coast. Only drawback to the meal was the lobster bisque which wasn't much more than tomato base and not worth ordering again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was okay.Tsmalls24Dined on 8/24/2014We had a reservation for 8 people at 7:30pm and the server was rushing us to order because the kitchen was closing at 8pm. They shouldn't allow the later reservation if they are worried about getting out on time. The food was just okay. I ordered the shrimp & crab sandwich because it was on DDD. It needed something. It was very bland. However, the Mac & Cheese and the crab cocktail were very good. The crab cakes and fish & chips were decent. I would probably give it another try. It's right on the water, so the view is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing SpecialTM82VIPDined on 8/22/2014Nice to sit on the water, but the inlet is actually pretty gross. Plus it's currently being dredged. Service was slow, not particularly inattentive. Food lacked flavor and seasoning. Seafood was fresh, but preparations fell pretty flat.
- Great lunch spotKinkibeacherDined on 8/16/2014Good food at a good price with a nice atmosphere . Dress warm for dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a great SF EateryMondoDined on 8/15/2014After making reservations about a week in advance, I received a call the day before letting me know the Dungeness crab would not be available(as requested). The gentleman made several other suggestions. Upon arrival I was giving an apology for no crab and a beautiful complimentary crab salad appetizer. It shows that they care about their diners and their food and beer selection is great. Smallish Great menu. One of my favorites in SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cioppino!!!luv2eatDined on 8/14/2014Had reservations for 8pm, got there early and was seated right away. We were given the choice to be seated outside on the pier of their covered patio, we chose covered patio because it gets pretty cold and windy at night. Our waiter Caleb, was very attentive and friendly. Had the cioppino that was filled with fresh crab in a perfectly spiced tomato broth with really good crusty bread. The bacon mac and cheese was AMAZING! If you came just for this, it would be worth it. The cheeseburger was average. Overall, definitely a place to go back to!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.