Pier 23 Cafe
Pier 23, On The Embarcadero
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Pier 23 Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pier23cafe.com/
- Phone: 4153625125
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Dinner : Daily: 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Matt Garcia
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Party platters available for pick-up for events off site.
- Private Party Facilities: Small alcove available for parties of up to 10. Heated tent with bay views available for groups of up to 60.
- Private Party Contact: Lara Mitchell 4153625125
- Cross Street: Greenwhich
- Public Transit: The Muni F-Line light rail stops directly in front of Pier 23 Cafe. We are a ten minute walk from the Ferry Building and ten minutes from Fisherman’s Wharf.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There are several public lots within walking distance of the restaurant. Some public parking lots close early so check the signs.
A word from Pier 23 Cafe
Pier 23 Cafe is a unique waterfront restaurant specializing in fresh seafood, live music and beautiful views of San Francisco bay. Family owned and operated for over 25 years, Pier 23 Cafe captures the heart and soul of a city obsessed with food. The large bay side patio allows patrons to soak up the California sun while enjoying creative dishes made from fresh, local ingredients. Night time dining in the heated tent is complimented by maritime activity and amazing views of Treasure Island and the Berkeley Hills. Come down and enjoy a true local favorite and experience some real waterfront history.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Pier 23 Cafe - Best Restaurants in Financial District / Embarcadero ›
Pier 23 Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
136 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (113)scenic view (106)great for lunch (76)good for groups (41)neighborhood gem (36)great for brunch (33)kid-friendly (30)hot spot (25)vibrant bar scene (22)fit for foodies (21)special occasion (16)romantic (14)late-night find (11)notable wine list (1)Show More
- The real dealOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/15/2014Yes it's famous. Yes it's been on TV. Ok. By the way it's also great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!!!SuzyGDined on 9/12/2014My family's dining experience was so much fun!! We enjoyed EVERYTHING! Excellent Bloody Mary! We recommend the Crab & Shrimp Louie sandwich. We ate our lunch on the outside cafe and loved the fresh air and beautiful bay view! We strongly recommend this dining experience!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent view and good food.GunrunnerDined on 9/11/2014Pier 23 Cafe has always been a favorite place. I always take friends from out of town there. It is far enough away from Fisherman's Wharf to keep the casual tourist away. The views from the patio are fantastic. The food is really good (try the steamed mussels and clams). I have enjoyed this place for many years.Special Features:
- Tacos an seals!Mrsjakeman1Dined on 9/6/2014Flavor some good, a great Sunny spot for a brunch or lunch with views of the bay with the occasional seal in view delightfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better Than the Snob Restaurants19YReunionDined on 9/6/2014Food server attentive but not overbearing. Dishes selected by all in group of 6 was tasty, fresh, warm for the appropriate dishes. One skill was that server/busboy didn't pick up empty plates as they appeared but allowed them to stay in place while others were eating. A real balancing act that was handled well by the staff. Loved the low-key "buzz" ambiance. Our guests were New Yawkers who thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Best part? The bartender actually know how to put a classic Manhattan together. Very few bartenders can produce the real thing. The folks behind the bar at Pier 23 can! Reservations were for 1:00 PM. One couple got caught up in crash on 101 Northbound, thus were late. Hostess was so empathetic reinforced its OKSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality of foodTeriDined on 9/6/2014Calamari has always been my favorite but something was a bit different about it this time and not sure if they changed it or not. I liked it better in the pastSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchFoodJunkieDined on 9/5/2014After seeing it on DDD, I wanted to go. The food was average and althought the outdoor seating was great, we had a view of a large barge with a crane dredging. Overall, it seemed over priced but the waiter was the best part!Special Features:
- What happened to Pier 23dervinVIPDined on 8/31/2014Been going for years, and the last few times we have been disappointed with the food. We always go for brunch and I order the Huavos rancheros. It's my favorite and I have had it served several different ways. Have never had it served on top of cole slaw! One little egg, no beans little bit of salsa. My husband orders the breakfast sandwich and asked what it came with. The waitress responded , I think it comes with French fries. I think? Really? It was a warm day, we got there at 10:30 and they seated us along the fence in the sun. We asked if we coiuld sit in the shade. Responce? No, we don't have servers for those tables yet. Really? Too many good restaurants in the area. It's a shame.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014We had a large party and the evening was most enjoyable. The food was quite good and a reasonable value. The service was friendly and attentive although one entree came out quite late. I would dine here again and recommend it to others. A very fun time was had by all.Special Features:
- What A Great LunchLovetoeatDined on 8/30/2014We got to Pier23 after flying into San Francisco from Las Vegas we got there a little early but we were seated right away even though they were busy. We got an outside table on the patio as I requested. The place was lot's of fun and hopping. The food was fresh and super good. I pretty much wanted to try every thing I saw coming out of the kitchen. I had the lobster & crab sandwich and it was fantastic. The portions were big and the drinks were great. The weather that day was sunny and 70. What a perfect lunch. Thanks to the great staff at Pier23. BobSpecial Features:
- great lunchtehamapamDined on 8/30/2014We went for lunch on an absolutely beautiful day. We were seated immediately outside. My crab and shrimp sandwich was awesome. Our server was very good also. Overall, a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodTheoutoftownersDined on 8/29/2014The food was great, the reservations had to be changed due to my schedule. That was no problem. For San Francisco, the price was good. The amount of food for the price was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence on the Embarcadero!!!BeastfoodieDined on 8/29/2014Where do I start? The outdoor seating and scenery, the beer garden and just the fun atmosphere of the place, make this one of my favorite places in SF. The food is absolutely superb, with the freshest seafood!!! We ordered the crab and shrimp sandwich, the calamari and the muscles and clams. The sourdough bread of the crab and shrimp sandwich was so soft and fresh, it's melts in your mouth like Angel food cake!! Both the crab and shrimp are super fresh. The calamari was cooked perfectly and the Sriracha aioli was scrumptious!! Last but not least were the clams and muscles. If you are a seafood lover, this is the dish for you. Fresh cooked clams and muscles drizzled with a garlic lemon butter sauce. Love this place and we will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pier 23CammVIPDined on 8/29/2014Great meal with a great server on a beautiful day in SFSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Francisco at its best.ViktorDined on 8/28/2014I recently discovered Pier 23 and wonder what took me so long. In the evening parking is easy, the food is terrific, the prices are reasonable, the view is fantastic, and the crowd is hip. In the summer month, the outdoor seating can accommodate large groups, perfect for a party or celebration. The staff is always friendly. What else can one ask for? Check it out. Live music enhances the experience.Special Features:
- Great view of the BayTheDesignStylistVIPDined on 8/28/2014Stopped here with out-of-town visitors for lunch after touring Alcatraz. Since it was mid-week, early lunch they weren't busy. If you aren't there right after opening, you will need to make reservations (fills up quickly). Compliments to our server who was really attentive and knowledgeable about the menu items. Three in our party ordered the fish and chips which was really delicious (light batter on the fish served with garlic fries). Not your average bar food. If you like raw oysters, the Mignonette Sauce was one of the best I've had -- East or West coast. Only drawback to the meal was the lobster bisque which wasn't much more than tomato base and not worth ordering again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was okay.Tsmalls24Dined on 8/24/2014We had a reservation for 8 people at 7:30pm and the server was rushing us to order because the kitchen was closing at 8pm. They shouldn't allow the later reservation if they are worried about getting out on time. The food was just okay. I ordered the shrimp & crab sandwich because it was on DDD. It needed something. It was very bland. However, the Mac & Cheese and the crab cocktail were very good. The crab cakes and fish & chips were decent. I would probably give it another try. It's right on the water, so the view is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing SpecialTM82VIPDined on 8/22/2014Nice to sit on the water, but the inlet is actually pretty gross. Plus it's currently being dredged. Service was slow, not particularly inattentive. Food lacked flavor and seasoning. Seafood was fresh, but preparations fell pretty flat.
- Great lunch spotKinkibeacherDined on 8/16/2014Good food at a good price with a nice atmosphere . Dress warm for dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a great SF EateryMondoDined on 8/15/2014After making reservations about a week in advance, I received a call the day before letting me know the Dungeness crab would not be available(as requested). The gentleman made several other suggestions. Upon arrival I was giving an apology for no crab and a beautiful complimentary crab salad appetizer. It shows that they care about their diners and their food and beer selection is great. Smallish Great menu. One of my favorites in SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cioppino!!!luv2eatDined on 8/14/2014Had reservations for 8pm, got there early and was seated right away. We were given the choice to be seated outside on the pier of their covered patio, we chose covered patio because it gets pretty cold and windy at night. Our waiter Caleb, was very attentive and friendly. Had the cioppino that was filled with fresh crab in a perfectly spiced tomato broth with really good crusty bread. The bacon mac and cheese was AMAZING! If you came just for this, it would be worth it. The cheeseburger was average. Overall, definitely a place to go back to!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So bad, so sad ...SadfaceVIPDined on 8/13/2014The food was underwhelming, the view was lacking, the service was glacial, and the overall experience was simply dumpy. And, we were seated next to a table of over-served rabble rousers and their waiter continued to bring them shots of whiskey. One guy face-planted into a window. It was karma. Some might call this local flavor. I just call it unappealing.
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014I could dine on their patio every week. The view of the hills and bay are amazing. Our food was some of the best we have ever had in San Francisco. The menu variety will always keep you wanting something new.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Declining!HNobesVIPDined on 8/11/2014This was our 6th visit to Pier 23 Cafe and it was NOT a good experience. The food was good but the experience was poor. We sat outside and it took 30-40 minutes in between our appetizer and main dishes - throughout that long wait, not one of the five wait staff working outdoors stopped to fill our drinks or provide an update on kitchen activity. After a request for bread (to replace the burnt toast that came with his meal) was ignored by another patron, he loudly chastised the wait staff loitering by the back counter seemingly doing nothing. Then, it took another 20 at the end of the meal to have someone collect our payment. The kicker -- the outside deck was only about 50% full as our reservation was in the late afternoon!
- mloconteDined on 8/11/2014food was good but the service was awful... We were a party of 7. One person didn't get served until at least 10 minutes later than the rest of the table. when we asked about her meal, the waitress said, in a very snotty tone, "its on its way"... drinks and napkins had to be asked for several times. at least it was a beautiful day to sit outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!brakattack18Dined on 8/10/2014After seeing Pier 23 on the Food Network, my husband and I knew we had to try it! The food was fantastic... the fish tacos and Crab Bisque are a must try! This was a nice change of pace from the craziness of Pier 39, and it was only a 10 minute walk away. Great food, amazing views and a fun atmosphere! Loved it! Will definitely be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- my birthday celebrationroxycelebrationDined on 8/9/2014My sister and I enjoy the food. The only suggestion is cioppino needs improvement. We had it at 7 Mile and the recipe is much better there. Well, we didn't say anything and nobody could tell but there were two Chefs among our group so I value their opinion. They are Professional Chefs. It was good for brunch. But I wanted to celebrate my birthday and of course have dinner. Unfortunately, the sitting was kind of tight. the tables are too close together no elbow room.Special Features:
- Great View of the Bayjla26Dined on 8/2/2014A bit noisy, food was very good. There is no place to stand while waiting for your table. I liked the live music but the band took up the entire bar space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Room with a viewSterlingDined on 8/2/2014Had friends in from out of town and wanted to take them to a San Francisco icon and I couldn't have been happier with the service and food. They loved sitting on the pier looking out on the water as sail boats went by as we had the cioppino, clams and mussels. It was all very tasty and our waitress could not have been nicer. She was a delight and very friendly. I love taking my out of town guest there to show them SF at it's finest and you didn't disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a touristy trap restaurantMikeC442Dined on 7/31/2014We went to the Pier 23 Cafe after a busy day touring San Francisco based on the recommendation of staff at the Exploratorium and Trip Advisor. A great contrast to the touristy places a few piers down on the waterfront. Food tasted great, service was attentive, and had a great view seated outside. Reminded us of a locals restaurant vs one catering to tourists. Open Table's reservation was helpful in getting us seated quickly too.Special Features:
- Oh my,SfnativeVIPDined on 7/30/2014As always, one of my very favorite places in The City. I was born her and There are so few places that are still San Francisco and this is truly one of them. Thank you for everything you do to keep it original and the food fresh and always... YummmmSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vibrant atmosphere, great food!Emrr01Dined on 7/27/2014I booked a table in advance after seeing good reviews, found out that there was live music that evening so I emailed to check my timings, as would be nice to catch some music. The manager emailed straight back with his recommendation to move table forward abit and offered to sort it out. The evening did not disappoint, we were seated quickly, the food was great and the atmosphere was brilliant. We could hear the music from where we were sitting and it was a fun night. The service was great. A good find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining by the BayTerri2640VIPDined on 7/27/2014Staff should have mentioned when we called to find out about parking that the SF Marathon was happening and that we should plan accordingly due to event. The place was hopping at 12:30 p.m. on a sunny Sunday afternoon. We were celebrating an anniversary that was never acknowledged by the staff (why ask about special instructions?). Cocktails were great. The chowder was delicious. but should have been served hotter. The mussels and clams were delicious, very salty broth and overcooked. The shrimp and crab sandwich was superb. We would skip the Crab and Shrimp Louie for $20-mainly because there should have been more lettuce (pre-seasoned and limp). Service was slow and haphazard. Definitely need to be patient and not on a time table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must!pieceofcakeDined on 7/25/2014Excellent food and service! We had the fish tacos, mussels and crab sandwich...all wonderful.Special Features:
- NuttieNuttieDined on 7/20/2014Friendly staff, excellent food, great location/view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- steveVIPDined on 7/19/2014Nice afternoon for lunch! Too bad the construction is happening next door -- but should be over soon!Special Features:
- Saw on DDD food networkgtoscottDined on 7/19/2014Went into the city before a game, made reservations for lunch , which was a good idea. We were sat at a table outside with a great view. The four of us had a beer, appetizers and a sandwich. All of the items were really good and it was more than we could eat . Service was good but expect to pay $25-$30 for lunch which I would expect to pay for dinner, but after all this is SFSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location but not the foodeugcinellaDined on 7/18/2014Food was sub par, especially considering its location. Ordered crab bisque, no essence of crab. Fish and Chip......fish way too salty. Ribs was fall off the bone......boiled and baked. Lots of better restaurant options nearby, please don't waste your time and money.Special Features:
- Met new wife & family of old friendOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/18/2014Heving not seen Denny in over 35 years, and never his wife or children, I was prepared to be a little overwhelmed. I wasn't sure that I would even recognize him. The atmosphere and your staff were very competent, and put all of us virtual strangers at ease. The environment was perfect to allow us to catch up without disturbance. The food was excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/13/2014We were celebrating my husband's birthday and we wanted to watch the World Cup Final. Pier 23 was perfect for both of these events. We went to the bar area first, but there were no seats available. One of the bartenders very nicely let us know of a couple who was leaving and encouraged us to go stand next to them so we could get their seats. Super helpful!!! Our drinks were tasty and not super pricey. The host and our waiter were wonderful. We never wanted for anything. The food was delicious. We will definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.