401 Foster Street B-2
Durham, NC 27701Neighborhood:
Contemporary SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.piedmontrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (919) 683-1213x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 10:30AM - 2:00PM
Monday-Saturday: 5:30PM - 10:00PM
Sunday: 5:30PM - 9:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ben Adams
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We are happy to help you plan your private party events. Please contact the restaurant to discuss our private party options further.
Currently, our mezzanine level accommodates 40 guests or less. For events with more than 40 guests, a buyout of the entire restaurant is required.
Each private dining event has a custom menu from our Executive Chef. Therefore, pricing varies based off of the menu and selections. Please contact the restaurant to discuss your needs.
- Private Party Contact: Crawford Leavoy (919) 683-1213x
- Special Events: http://piedmontrestaurant.com/events/
A word from Piedmont Restaurant
Contemporary Southern cuisine with emphasis on using local, organic and sustainable products from North Carolina farmers, ranchers and fishermen.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Piedmont Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Durham ›
Piedmont Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
198 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (163)special occasion (97)neighborhood gem (86)notable wine list (76)romantic (39)hot spot (31)good for groups (31)great for brunch (29)late-night find (8)great for lunch (7)vibrant bar scene (5)Show More
- budwomDined on 9/20/2014Still another fine restaurant in Durham! Very nice food and service, the seared tilefish was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small but mighty menu!FoodieGirlDined on 9/19/2014The menu here is limited but everything on the menu is fresh and delicious. It is fun to go outside your comfort zone and try a new dish here. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/18/2014Piedmont promotes itself as a farm-to-fork venue and it certainly lived up to the name - all menu items are identified clearly by the farm of origin in the area. Menu is seasonally fresh and delicious! I don't usually choose chicken in a restaurant but could not resist the description of the breasts stuffed with goat cheese - it did not disappoint! Very flavorful and surrounded by a nice blend of vegetable and puree. Service was attentive and friendly. The location is very convenient to local theatres in a very cool renovated warehouse that bears the typical marks - open ductwork, brick walls, and an airy 2nd floor that helps mitigate the noise from the high ceilings. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Anniversary DinnerMikeSDined on 9/16/2014Piedmont Restaurant was a new place for us to try, so when our anniversary rolled around, I made a reservation. I also ordered flowers to be delivered to the restaurant. When we arrived, a table was ready for us, and the flowers I had ordered made a great centerpiece! Mary Beth was our server, and she made great recommendations for wine, appetizers & entrees. She also brought us each a glass of (really good) champagne. Overall, a great experience in a new favorite restaurant for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 8 person partyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014We had an 8 person party and were promptly seated. Food is always local, fresh and unique and service was excellent. The server was able to answer questions about ingredients and was very patient and personable. Piedmont is my go to place for out of town business partners.Special Features:
- A foodie, I had great expectationsapastrychefsmomDined on 9/14/2014I am on the fence with this one. The food was good but not great for the prices but the wait staff was amazing and the atmosphere was awesome.Special Features:
- JohnnieDined on 9/12/2014A reservation was made on Open Table for 6:30 PM and confirmed back by email. However, upon arrival, we were told that our reservation was for 800 PM, and I had to be forceful to be seated, even though multiple tables were vacant. Something is wrong somewhere along the line of communication or within the restaurant to receive and properly interpret the information they receive. Once seated, everything else was quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oh wow!DurhamgirlDined on 9/11/2014The last time I went to this restaurant, 2 years ago, I sent my food back twice, and I'm not a foodie. This time, the restaurant had really changed. It "felt good", the speciality cocktails were wonderful and the bartender was very attentive. The noise level was perfect: we didn't have to shout to hear each other and it wasn't so quiet other tables could eavesdrop. My heirloom tomato salad was the best thing I've had this summer, and the tilefish was wonderful. The date dessert was to die for; our server was excellent at suggesting wines and very informative. I will definitely go back and will recommend The Piedmont to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Professional serviceKAmartiniVIPDined on 9/10/2014This is an old building that has been redone. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but is airy and casually decorated on the inside. The food was great as was the wine selection, helped by a knowledgeable sommelier. The best part was the first rate, rofessional service. We stayed and talked for quite a while and never felt rushed. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Delicious FoodAefriedmDined on 9/6/2014I got the duck and it was fantastic. The fish was great too!Special Features:
- A Must Eat in DurhamOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/5/2014My wife and I did small plates - heirloom tomatoes, compressed watermelon, sweetbreads, sweet corn soup - followed by risotto with fall vegetables. Excellent! Who would have thought such a gem existed in Durham. Definitely must eat whenever we are in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience overall57noviceDined on 9/5/2014My wife & I had a great dinner here - only advice would be to skip the cheese tray in favor of the heirloom tomato or watermelon appetizers which were really delicious. Flounder was also great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/4/2014Piedmont is one of our favorite restaurants. It is so convenient to Carolina Theater, where we often go to see movies. On this visit we started with Manhattans, which were delicious. We had smoked trout as an appetizer which I enjoyed more than my dinner companion. Dinner was sweetbreads for me and crispy duck for him. He liked his dish a lot and while mine was fine, I wasn't utterly smitten by it. The BIG plus of the evening was our waitress. She was upbeat, spot-on with service, and explained dishes on the menu in an intelligent, enthusiastic fashion. Really impressive!Special Features:
- Sensational!PnoPlarDined on 9/3/2014Amazing farm-to-table restaurant! Brought my cousins who were visiting from England for a special "bon voyage" dinner, and it was the perfect choice - entrees were fantastic, each a blend of surprisingly scrumptious flavors. But as with my last visit, the most impressive part of the meal was definitely the appetizers. Oh my goodness... the trout dip and watermelon/blueberry creations were worth the trip themselves! :) But we couldn't leave without sharing desserts - although I'm a chocoholic, I chose the fried apple pie (tart) with cinnamon ice cream (yum!) and loved it. Others at the table ordered coconut cake (unlike anything I've ever had) and ginger-fig sorbet - both super tasty. Wish I could visit more frequently... what a treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food as food should tastetasteDined on 8/30/2014At the first mouth full the taste of real food, sets off the sensation of this is how food should always taste, the various mixtures of whole food can be identfied the food itself is the star, no additives to cover it up. My daughter and I really appreciated the effort and care with the cooking and the delivery. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightedDined on 8/27/2014Gifted chef fashioned a memorable dining experience. Many other fine chefs out there, but we were immediatelyy aware he is an original when it come to taste sensations. He is a keeper. Piedmont is on our list of favorites. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience!JMPinCH2014Dined on 8/24/2014We had dinner at Piedmont before a show at DPAC. It ranked near the top of my favorite dining experience so ever. The food was beautiful and so delicious... we had a compressed watermelon salad which was out of this world and a snapper that was just delicious. Our server was prompt and friendly. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticmmstapleDined on 8/22/2014Imaginative and delicious combinations of fresh, local ingredients. Couldn't recommend more highly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best corn soup ever!DukeparentsDined on 8/22/2014Loved the sweet corn soup and the tilefish was delicious. We sat upstairs and the couple next to us knew the management. There was constant loud conversation that made it difficult for us but the food was great. We would give it another try!Special Features:
- New (to Us) Piedmont Is FantasticgluttonthinkshesagourmandDined on 8/22/2014The "old" Piedmont had become one of those restaurants that we enjoyed but it didn't think of for a truly wonderful night out. But, due to an event in downtown Durham, we tried it again last week...and were we surprised. The new chef and management have transformed this restaurant in to a magnificent mecca for great food. The appetizers, the main dishes, the cheese plate....all featuring local-sourced foodstuffs...are great. I really recommend the tomato appetizer and the fish entree...inspired. And though everyone is very helpful and friendly, our server, Brenen, was fantastic...thoughtful, patient, and neither took too much time or too little time with us. Go and discover a reboot that really works!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great night out!TeeSturtzDined on 8/21/2014My wife and I went to Piedmont for our anniversary dinner and couldn't have been happier with our choice. On hearing that we were celebrating our anniversary, the hostess recommended sitting on the mezzanine for a slightly quieter experience, and it was perfect. The staff took care of us from the moment we walked in the door to the moment we left, and knew just when to come by the table and when to give us some time to enjoy our night. We started with the corn soup appetizer and a couple of cocktails, ordered our entrees and received a great wine recommendation after asking what would pair well with our meals. She had the duck confit and I had the wahoo, all locally sourced ingredients and great flavors. Can't wait to come back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It tries...hardRemmeVIPDined on 8/17/2014Although I am not a fan of conemporary Southern cooking ("root to table") as much as my firend we decided the menu was intersting enough to give it a try. The food was good, not great, not bad, but good. Each item on the plate had its own flavor and, I guess, I am not as adventurous as some in combinations I find pleasant...my friend would give it another star in the food category. I had duck. It is well cooked, not greasy at all, and tasted like duck; nothing to hide the flavor which made it fine with me. The service was attentive and knowledgeable but there are no sound absorbent materials and despite the high ceiling a neighboring party can be easily heard. Parking is readikly available in the evening.Special Features:
- Special OccasionLuvtodineVIPDined on 8/15/2014We celebrated our engagement and the staff was very attentive and enthusiastic for us!Special Features:
- Locavore paradisepercinnamonDined on 8/11/2014Thoughtful service, local food prepared in delicious and different ways!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!DeliciousVIPDined on 8/9/2014Piedmont is amazing. Great ambience, great service (thanks, Mary Beth), and the food was really exceptional. Very nice experience had by one and all.Special Features:
- Been Twice, Will be Back AgainDiningShouldBeSpecialDined on 8/8/2014While The Piedmont has not quite made up for the loss of the Magnolia Grill, the Piedmont's adventurous and creative approach to locally sourced cuisine has delighted the eyes and appetites of my wife and I on two occasions to date. The presentation of both appetizers and main courses have been visually stunning and highlight the broad array of flavors and textures that magically harmonize as one enjoys each mouthful. The ambiance is pleasant. The wine and beer list is impressive. The service is the perfect blend of efficiency, timeliness and unobtrusiveness. Our wait staff have been friendly and, when asked, very knowledgeable and helpful. We'll be back again.Special Features:
- Good but not as good as in the pastSMaxVIPDined on 8/8/2014Dinner was good but not outstanding. My husband usually oders whatever pasta dish you have but there was none on the menu. The chicken dish was bland. I'm the one who drags the family to this restaurant so I have lost lots of leverage for the future
- Amazing farm-to-tableFoodfarmerDined on 8/7/2014Piedmont is really one of those places that knows how to do farm-to-table right. The menu is very fresh and delicious. I had the pasta with braised lamb neck and mint which was yummy and hearty while my partner had the tilefish which was cooked perfectly. The cocktails and wine are plentiful and the beer choices are great. I really like the ambiance of the place too, comfy and rustic. This is a great place for a romantic dinner for two or a nice place to celebrate something special, like the sun setting. If you find yourself in Durham and are looking for an amazing meal, head to Piedmont, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingcdncamelVIPDined on 8/2/2014Great service, incredible food. Had a lovely meal and great wine. Can't ask for anything better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Piedmont is a PinnaclerfgabDined on 8/2/20141st their version of the martini has to be the truest to the original martini I have ever had made with a dash of their own orange bitters as it should be. The smoked trout dip was very good and the preparation of heirloom tomatoes was also very good. Up next for me was a wonderful lamb neck ragout over ravioli stuffed with goat cheese and a surprising and quite enjoyable hint of mint. My wife's hanger steak was done to perfection. What really sets Piedmont at the top of the Triangle restaurant game is their inclusion of fresh vegetables--they are not just a cursory side note--the vegetable accompaniments truly shine on their own and make the experience all that much more remarkable. And to round this all out the coconut cake was superSpecial Features:
- Excellent imaginative foodAKkkVIPDined on 7/31/2014The food was excellent. Very imaginative and some unusual pairings that worked amazingly well. Service was also excellent and our server explained the menu options well. Fun cocktails. Great place to dine in Durham.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oustanding!IAmNotWhoYouThinkVIPDined on 7/28/2014We heard that Piedmont had a new chef and decided to see if it had improved vs. a year ago. We were quite pleased with what we found. Food was excellent, and the portions had a lot of vegetables with the proteins, which we really liked as during the summer the local produce in NC is excellent. Server did a wonderful job, especially given he was in his early twenties and this didn't appear to be a career choice for him. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Overpriced, noisy, not worth ithardtopleaseDined on 7/28/2014Wine list is 20+ pages -- overpriced and complicated. Fine for NYC, but not for Durham. Food was ok - but too expensive. The waiter was nice but mostly nonexistent. I will not go again.
- Exquisite foodJudyDined on 7/26/2014Fro appetizer to entree to dessert - everything was a wonderful blend of taste experiences. What amazing talent to blend such varied ingredients to arrive at wonderful culinary experiences. Wish the noise level was not quite so great but know it is a challenge with the "warehouse" interior design and nothing to absorb sound.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic menuluckylunchDined on 7/26/2014Great diversity in choices for appetizers and entrees. All the selections looked appealing. The wine selection was also large and had very approachable prices. Server was gracious and knowledgeable. We had a great leisurely dining experience. The chef stopped by to greet us personally. Definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food but too loud to talkOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/25/2014We had lovely food, but found that, like so many other Durham restaurants, Piedmont was deafeningly loud. We were there on a Friday night. The remodelled warehouse decor of so many of our restaurants is visually appealling, but can't somebody figure out a way to dampen some of the noise?Special Features:
- A Lovely EveningHappyDurhamiteDined on 7/23/2014We had such a nice evening with friends at Piedmont. Great food--adventurous and delicious. Beautiful space. Not too noisy; great for conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/21/2014We have been here twice and are in LOVE! This is a fantastic restaurant, the food is rich in flavour, portion sizes are good and the ambiance is just what we are looking for. Thanks for making the piedmont such a great place!Special Features:
- Great Jazz BrunchNCBLUMVIPDined on 7/20/2014Best Brunch in Durham. The home made Granola is amazing!!!! Eggs are local and very fresh. I can highly recommend the Crab Benedict. Love the Jazz band.Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014The food, atmosphere and staff were very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.