401 Foster Street B-2
Durham, NC 27701Neighborhood:
Contemporary SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.piedmontrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (919) 683-1213
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 10:30AM - 2:00PM
Monday-Saturday: 5:30PM - 10:00PM
Sunday: 5:30PM - 9:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ben Adams
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We are happy to help you plan your private party events. Please contact the restaurant to discuss our private party options further.
Currently, our mezzanine level accommodates 40 guests or less. For events with more than 40 guests, a buyout of the entire restaurant is required.
Each private dining event has a custom menu from our Executive Chef. Therefore, pricing varies based off of the menu and selections. Please contact the restaurant to discuss your needs.
- Private Party Contact: Anna Holland (919) 683-1213x
- Special Events: http://piedmontrestaurant.com/events/
A word from Piedmont Restaurant
Contemporary Southern cuisine with emphasis on using local, organic and sustainable products from North Carolina farmers, ranchers and fishermen.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Piedmont Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Durham ›
Piedmont Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
197 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (169)special occasion (88)notable wine list (86)neighborhood gem (78)good for groups (51)hot spot (40)romantic (38)great for brunch (29)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (7)great for lunch (6)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Delicious and imaginativeCarolDined on 11/19/2014Sometimes creative ingredients are interesting but don't necessarily meld together. Not so at Piedmont with its Imaginative and delicious fare. And artistic yet pleasant surroundings and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delectable!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/16/2014Popped in for dinner before DPAC event Sunday night and wish we could have stayed longer for another course! Every morsel was delicious, service quick and friendly (and beautiful); not to mention easy parking across the street and just a few blocks from DPAC. I am spreading the word!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much Better.DPW1Dined on 11/16/2014Since Piedmont opened originally, we have gone roughly every two years and left disappointed--waiting a while before giving it another try. Since we live in the neighborhood, we really wanted it to be as good as the staff seemed to think it was, but to no avail. However, after this trip, we are actively planning a return. Hopefully they really have turned a corner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- BillyDDined on 11/15/2014Hadn't been here in a while but will be back soon! Excellent food and service, very creative menu, great bar selections. Another in a list of outstanding places to go in Durham.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but very pricey.FoodyTwoShoesDined on 11/14/2014Overall a very enjoyable dining experience. We were late due to traffic, but they were kind enough to hold our table. Wait person was very attentive and knowledgable about food, but not about the overly extensive wine list so we had to wait for the wine person to finish up with another customer before she made it over to our table. Food was delicious, but the portions are very small and very pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SusanSusanDined on 11/14/2014The menu was creative and it was hard to choose between dishes, as everything sounded so good. My husband and I ended up choosing the same thing, and we agreed that both dishes were fantastic--the pumpkin soup, and the pork chop. While we didn't have dessert, that menu was also very enticing, and the wine list was amazing. There were also some nice options for dessert drinks, including a selection of ports, sherries, and madeiras. All in all it was a very enjoyable dining experience. We have been there before, and will keep going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall great evening but....GooberDined on 11/14/2014The food was excellent and the service was superb. My only complaint was the wine offerings. There was an extensive wine list and the manager was extremely knowledgeable of the listings; their origins, their characteristics, etc. However, there wasn't a good mix of prices of wines. For those who simply want a drinkable wine at a reasonable price; this was not the restaurant that provided options. The least priced wine was around $50 per bottle. We had a decent wine at a price of $70 which was about half the price of the entire meal. We would have preferred to have a bottle of good "value" wine in the $20 price range. Creating a wine list that has some lower priced but good quality option would make this restaurant an overall excellent choice for dinner for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It may be Durham's Best!Luv2dineDined on 11/10/2014We all love this restaurant...the food is outstanding, nice presentation, exceptional service, and they have a to-die-for Manhattan Cocktail!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our new favoritedaddyruchirDined on 11/9/2014We've been here twice, and I can't wait to go back. I'm a vegetarian, and I find most finer dining establishments either fall flat for vegetarian dishes or are so basic that I could easily make them at home for a tenth of the cost. Not so at Piedmont. First of all, the drinks are great (both wine and cocktails). We went with another couple and they got a soup that they said was tasty. My wife and I split a salad with a soft boiled egg. Well done. The main courses were spot on. I could only choose the risotto, but it was really well done. I find risotto to be a tough dish to do correctly, but they really nailed it. The frozen peanut butter chocolate pie was yummy. This is definitely my new favorite place. Love it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatStarfruit3VIPDined on 11/9/2014Piedmont is my go-to for special occasions, out of town guest and dinner dates. It never disappoints.Special Features:
- BLAND BRUNCHOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/9/2014We were excited to try Piedmont for brunch. It was our first time here and won't be back. The food was all really under seasoned. The smoked brisket had no smoke flavor. The grits were like soup. Had to add a bunch of salt. Wanted to add some pepper but the pepper shaker our server brought us was completely empty. The biscuit that came on the brunch plate tasted like nothing. Overpriced. Would have rather stayed home, had a bagel and saved myself $50.
- Yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/8/2014We stopped in for dessert and drinks after a "meh" meal elsewhere. Should've just gone here! The Bees Knees is a cool gin drink, perfect for dessert with honey as one of the ingredients. Tried two desserts. Bf liked the sticky date cake more while I enjoyed the peanut butter chocolate pie. And those brûléed banana pieces! I could eat a plate of them. The bartender, Paul, was friendly and personable. After feeling ignored by service elsewhere for being younger, Piedmont saved our date night out. Will return... Frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we expectedMaggieDined on 11/8/2014When we arrived for our reservation 5 min early, we were told that we needed to wait while a table was cleared. However, there were at least 3 tables already set and ready when we arrived. We stood and waited for 15 min just to be seated at a table that had been set and ready before we arrived. We were also unimpressed with our entrees. My husband ordered the NY strip for $35 and while the portion of meat was decent, the only accompaniments were three small half potatoes and a few small cauliflower florets. I ordered a $25 flounder entree, which came with two fillets that had minimal flavor, and again, only three small half potatoes (no vegetables) as a side. The desserts were good, but not worth the annoying wait and disappointing entrees.Special Features:
- Third visitGarycooksVIPDined on 11/8/2014Third visit since early summer Great food interesting cocktails Will def return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre at bestDeb1Dined on 11/7/2014We were very disappointed in Piedmont. Our food was certainly nothing to brag about. The service was worse; very inattentive and long wait time. Would not go back
- Piedmont is a good restaurant that could be betterflobowcavsVIPDined on 11/7/2014Piedmont is a good restaurant that could be better with a bit more attention to the food. Read reviews that said it was hit or miss with meals but that it had improved recently so gave it a chance over Nana's. We started out with the trout dip. Dip was bland and could have used a bit more spicing up. Chips with the dip tasted a bit like boards. Moving on to the entrees I had the pork chop with braised cabbage and wife had the NY strip steak. Both of these entrees were point on good with excellent spicing and perfectly cooked (though my pork chop was a bit on the fatty side). For dessert I had the sweet potato pudding cake. Was a bit disappointing as it was more pudding than cake and could barely detect any sweet potato taste. Overall a bit boring. All in all there were more pluses than minuses in the meal. Will say the service was excellent and attentive without being intrusive. Not sure I would go back again; but if the rest of the meal could meet the level of the entrees would consider it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CindyVIPDined on 11/3/2014In the past we would dine at the Piedmont fairly often and then we experienced a couple of so-so dinners and had not been back until tonight. We were looking for a place to dine on a Monday evening (difficult) and decided to give the Piedmont another chance. It was AMAZING! Presentation, quality and taste was exquisite. I am so happy we went back and we will definitely return soon!Special Features:
- Enjoyed the eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/1/2014We had a meal with family in town from DC and Portland. Enjoyed the food and drinks. The coffee porter was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie Family FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014We love good food and living in Durham has made us dangerous. When we go out it is expected it will be special. Piedmont is (again) one of our top spots. Every course was wonderful. The menu is a perfect size so each dish gets prepared with care. It looks good on the plate and tastes sensational. Service is professional and personal. ASK your server for suggestions regarding wine choice. Tip: If you have a party of 6 or so, ask to be seated upstairs as it is easier to hear each other. The airy high-ceilinged place seems a bit noisier when you are downstairs. That said, we like to sit downstairs along the wall when it is just two of us, so we can watch the show of other diners being surprised by the deliciousness of it all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Downtown Durham restaurantTMFfromRaleighVIPDined on 10/29/2014Wonderful, inventive presentations using local ingredients. Huge wine list...3 pages of Pinot noir alone! 2 pages of wines by the glass! Sommelier very knowledgable to help you through the overwhelming offerings.Special Features:
- YES! THIS IS A FIVE STAR!BurtVIPDined on 10/29/2014What a great find in the Durham area. We went there prior to a DPAC performance. Having traveled throughout many countries of the world, we tend to be overly critical of chefs and their efforts to be top notch, The Piedmont definitely deserves a top notch rating. We found the cocktails (specialty selection) great, appetizer selection and quality to be excellent, the entree selection limited but outstanding and extensive enough to make a selection difficult, coffee to be better than Starbucks and the homemade desserts so good you have to waddle out the door when finished. The service is at the very top level in this area and the world as far as quality. After dining here, you'll want to go back quickly!Special Features:
- Treat Yourself!MomPopDinerLoverDined on 10/28/2014Piedmont is a hidden gem in Durham. Though it appears pretentious, the staff/servers are exceptional (ask for Eric!) and the sommelier recommended the perfect wine for my table guest and my very different tastes without seeming condescending. The food was quite good and you foodies will love the techniques and farm to table options on the changing menu. The portions were perfect as well. Overall the only reason this doesn't get five stars for my first review is the initial reception upon arrival which has been consistent with each of my five visits so far. Perhaps this is due to the mature crowd that seems to favor the weekday evenings? Not sure but would still highly recommend you give it a try!Special Features:
- AtmosphereDukeDined on 10/28/2014Great food, great service. Kind of a stark atmosphere..and a bit pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely for both dinner & brunchJennieFDined on 10/26/2014Last year, at Duke Family Weekend we took our son to dinner and eagerly came back again this year, with a larger crowd for brunch. Love the fresh, seasonal, farm-to-table vibe, the clean, quiet and welcoming atmosphere and friendly service. The brunch menu had a nice selection - everything from a yogurt parfait to egg dishes to heartier fare. Each item came to the table beautifully presented. My only disappointments: it took too long for our brunch entrees to arrive and the salad dressing was far too salty. Otherwise, I recommend Piedmont wholeheartedly, and eagerly await our next visit.Special Features:
- UniqueFoodieTwoVIPDined on 10/25/2014Farm to table with a great twist. Enjoyed our dinner, service was outstanding as was the food. Very imaginative menu, somewhat limited, but good choices and generous portions.Special Features:
- Can't misscdncamelVIPDined on 10/24/2014Incredible food, as always. Incredible cocktails, as always. Incredible dessert, as always. Just a can't miss. Service was a little clunky/backed up up, but Dook Parent's weekend isn't for the faint of heart.Special Features:
- Fabulous food - service needs work.GHNCVIPDined on 10/23/2014The food is undeniably excellent and I especially love that everything is locally sourced. Very impressive! That said, the service was lacking. After being seated, we were given our menus right away, but then the waiter did not come back for quite a while (not busy -- many empty tables at the time). I finally had to flag him down to order a glass of wine. My son ordered a glass of iced tea and it was not delivered for a VERY long time (well after the food had arrived). When it finally came, the waiter said he "nearly forgot" to bring it. Many long waits and lags in service. The ambience is fine, but nothing to write home about. Noise level is fine. Considering the oustanding quality of the food, the service does not live up to it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous birthday meal.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/20/2014We went to Piedmont on Monday for a birthday dinner and had a wonderful experience. Our server (bald with beard), was friendly and funny. Professional, but not stuffy. The food was great (sweetbreads were the best I've had in Durham, sorry Mateo!) though the trout dip was a little bland. The som recommended a really unique and delicious wine. He read our table well and played up the strong female wine maker to us, which we ate up. Desserts in Durham fine dining are often lacking, but the sticky date cake and apple turnover were just as good as the other courses! I hadn't been here in awhile after a few bad experiences a year or two ago, but Piedmont is def back on my go to list of places! Thanks for making this birthday girl feel special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Vibe!lunchproVIPDined on 10/18/2014This was my second time dining at Piedmont and it was another wonderful experience. Our server, Mary Beth, took excellent care of us. The wine list is full of varietals from all over the world. The section of rose was larger than any other wine list I've seen in the triangle. Very impressive. Also the pumpkin soup was something not to miss. I could have had an entire meal of that. The risotto and chicken dishes were also fantastic. Terrific meal. I will be back!Special Features:
- Good but not one of the greatsInthemoody4foodyDined on 10/18/2014The menu at Piedmont is nice, several interesting options for appetizer with unique flavor combinations and a few seasonally appropriate farm to table style entrees. I found the appetizers to have more diverse and interesting flavors than the entrees themselves. That being said all food was prepared with precision and well presented. The reason I rated the food as good and not very good or great is that compared to meals I have had a similarly priced restaurants I did not find the overall presentation, taste, and flavors to be a wow factor, but still very good. Service was fantastic and pleasant with well educated staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MackaroniDined on 10/17/2014Our group of 4 felt well taken of! The service is WONDERFUL!! My glass of water NEVER reached empty! The food was AMAZING!! I had chicken with goat cheese filling and it was just out of this world!!! I also had the 7 veggie salad - a big hit as well! Others at the table had the pork chop, which was also fantastic! We enjoyed sampling each other's entrees, and also shared a peanut butter pie that was to die for!!! We were finished in plenty of time to make our DPAC show. The wait staff was professional, friendly and very attentive. We liked sitting upstairs, as it was less noisy and more intimate. WE WILL BE BACK!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Approved!!CowtownchickVIPDined on 10/16/2014Excellent food and service. Farm to table fresh, with creative dishes. Extensive and thoughtful wine list. This Texas girl will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingLDurhamDined on 10/16/2014An amazing restaurant with a seasonally changing menu. I've eaten here a couple times and never had the same menu twice and never had anything I didn't like.Special Features:
- OrsonstillfatVIPDined on 10/12/2014The restaurant is emblematic of current dining trends--the good ones anyway. Minimalist spacious interior of a reclaimed industrial space is very well done and makes for a comfortable ambience with tables not too close. Superb cooking featuring local ingredients in adaptations of classics reinterpreted for today's tastes. Knowledgeable, helpful service from waits who know the menu and wine list and give great advice. This is a fine restaurant with a knock-out, mostly new world, wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!CLZZDined on 10/11/2014Our dinner at Piedmont was by far the best we've ever had in Durham, if not the Triangle. 6 couples and everyone loved their meals. Service was attentive, not rushed, very professional. But the food is what makes this place amazing! Try it!Special Features:
- Perfect place to dine before DPACGvilledinersDined on 10/11/2014We went before play at DPAC and had a glorious experience with impeccable service! We never felt rushed, our server was attentive, restaurant full of energy, and food and wine fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DorothyDined on 10/9/2014This is a lovely restaurant. My companion and I enjoyed our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and food!KrisVIPDined on 10/5/2014This restaurant has a vibrant but cozy atmosphere with amazing food. It was just the right combination of classy and casual.Special Features:
- Pumpkin fit for CinderellaOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/5/2014What can I say, I went back Friday and Saturday night to experience the "Root Down Farm’s heirloom pumpkin soup, NC blue crab pepitas, truffle oil, fresh herbs" - delicious! The wine selection is indeed notable, especially when you consider they offer a diverse selection of both old and new world wines in a range of prices to fit any budget. But the best part of Piedmont is always the personable, professional and at tentative service focused on your experience.Special Features:
- lovely brunchbeabrowDined on 10/5/2014The brisket and grits was delicious, and it was nice to be back at the Piedmont after a couple of years away. I did think things were a bit pricey--the Bloody Mary was $12 (they are $6 at Vin Rouge and elsewhere), so I didn't order one. Coffee was good, staff very nice!Special Features: