350 Carrall Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 2J3Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pidginyvr.com/
- Phone: 6046209400
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 12:00 am; Sunday: 6:00 pm - 12:00 am;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Korean, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Makoto Ono
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Pidgin
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Pidgin - Best Restaurants in Gastown ›
Pidgin reviews from OpenTable diners
145 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (127)neighborhood gem (70)hot spot (65)special occasion (61)good for groups (44)romantic (33)late-night find (23)vibrant bar scene (22)notable wine list (9)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Always Love Dining HerednceprtyDined on 10/8/2014My boyfriend and I came here for our five year anniversary and it was perfect! Great service as always, great food and a really killer cocktail! The environment is sleek, but very comfortable, overall a really nice place to enjoy an exquisite meal. We've been here before, and will continue to keep visiting. Thanks for a great night out!Special Features:
- reviewwaverDined on 10/8/2014Went with a group of friends. Cocktail drinks were pretty good. Food was okay. Scallop was nothing special. Chicken wings were only okay. the Veal + tuna is quite tasty tho. Didn't enjoy the rice bowls. Pork belly one was very greasy (and I eat a lot of fatty food!). and the foie gras bowl was really just meeeeh. and the food took forever to come out. between our appetizers and our main dishes we must have waited for over 45 mins.
- foodloverVIPDined on 10/6/2014Great, friendly and personal service! Everyone loved the amazing oyster shot, pork belly that melts in your mouth and the very tender tasty beef brisket. My sister and my friend were celebrating their birthdays, they were suprised by a delicious meringue dessert with candles. We had an amazing night. I highly recommend Pidgin for foodies, you will not get disappointed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/3/2014This was second visit to Pidgin, and again, the service was very attentive and the food amazing. Another great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly Good Value!HungryCaterpillarDined on 10/3/2014We had the prix fixe menu at $55 and I was surprised by how much food there was. The quality of the food was high so I felt like I got my money's worth. The cocktails were good too. The only downside was that later on in the evening it got noisy and it was hard to have a conversation without feeling like you were yelling. I suppose if you went earlier in the evening you wouldn't have that problem.Special Features:
- Tasting Menu A MustCaribriceDined on 9/28/2014When you go to Pidgin for the first time you must have the chef's Tasting Menu. It gives a good range of the chef's excellent abilities. But be warned don't fill up on the wonderful sweet/sour pickles which come at the start as the last three entree's are filling! We were so full by the time the confit/crispy Peking duck came at the end we had to do a doggy bag! The service was quite good and the ambiance moderate energy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and service!ChelaDined on 9/26/2014The lighting and music was very balanced, not over powering. Our waitress was very friendly and helpful. The food was amazing to say the least. We ordered the tasting platter, a very good choice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food, confusing ambiance.Cognaclover9Dined on 9/24/2014Food and presentation is spot on. Great selection of wine from boutique vineyards (e.g. Nicol). Lovely cocktails. My gin martini with an anchovie and olive was perfection. I am, however, slightly confused by the decor and ambiance. The food suggests fine dining but the interior suggests casual dining. I lament at the booth style tables in the bar section of the restaurant but note that there are some proper tables opposite the bar. Because of this I am not sure I would consider this a "romantic" restaurant...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie's must go toFoodieVIPDined on 9/21/2014Every plate is an art in terms of presentation, food chemistry & originality. Even the non- alcoholic cocktails are beautifully crafted & balanced. Prices are not inexpensive , but reasonable considering the effort in creating each dish. Will definitely return to try other items on the menu. The interior decor is simple & elegant, just like its food prepared. The wall with magnet is a fantastic idea for its clipboard menu.Special Features:
- Great restaurant with great food!!kmhsDined on 9/21/2014Service was super with friendly staff. Liked how the menu was described; presentation of the variety in the dishes was great. Different drink menu as well. Thumbs up overall!!Special Features:
- RTseVIPDined on 9/20/2014The food is fantastic. The 8 course prix-fixe menu is an incredible deal at $55. The oyster shot, raw scallops, brown butter mushrooms, pan-roasted halibut, half duck, and dessert (meringue, yuzu curd, vanilla cream, coconut) were the best dishes in the prix-fixe menu. The other 2 dishes in the pre-fixe menu, cured sockeye salmon and daily pickles, were good, but not as amazing as the other 6 dishes. I highly recommend Pidgin.Special Features:
- Great menu optionsconnieDined on 9/20/2014We opted for the prix fixe menu as per our server's suggestion. Sharing the eight courses gave us a good variety of flavours and was satisfyingly filling. Our server was friendly and knowledgeable and set the tone for a fun evening. We will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Good ServiceFoodie2400VIPDined on 9/19/2014Love small plate restaurants. Chicken wings, mushrooms were memorable. Service was the best. Definitely will go back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014I recently returned to PiDGiN after visiting early last year, this time with a group of friends. They did not disappoint! From the design of the space to the friendliness of the staff, we felt welcome before even making it to our table. We chose to share plates from the main menu and enjoyed everything we selected. The chicken wings proved to be a ballsy choice, good enough to order twice. Other highlights include the yuzu butter mushrooms, lamb belly, gnocchi, and melt-in-your-mouth beef brisket. On top of that, the cocktail menu was divine. The sazerac is easily the best I have ever had!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BlahFinickyDined on 9/13/2014Pretty mediocre for the price. It wasn't bad but I expected a lot more considering the hype and reviews. The server was kind but unattentive after the food was served. I enjoyed the oyster shooters and the mushrooms were very flavourful, however everything else was okay at best. While the halibut was nice and crispy on the outside, it ended up slightly overcooked and dry. The main dish was the half duck, and the spices and sides did not go well with the meat at all. It was my least favourite dish of all. While it wasn't a bad meal at all, I had high expectations and I don't think Pidgin met them.
- Exceptional experiencestonefireDined on 9/11/2014Great ambiance..unusual menu..Waiter made a suggested addition to our order which added to our experience..The owner stopped by and we fond much in common....in growing up in Windsor Ontario & other topics..The food preps were very good..The area is slowly gentrifying!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesomeOINKDined on 9/4/2014It was awesome! The service was excellent. Their oyster shots were to die for. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still solidAdvfoodieDined on 9/4/2014It's been a year since they first opened, and the hype has died down, but the food and service were still solid.Special Features:
- All around great experiencesparooDined on 9/1/2014A few nights ago I had a chance to visit Pidgin...it was everything I had heard and then some! I decided to have the tasting menu. It was perfect. I am not going to ruin what's on the menu, but I will share that I did not leave hungry and the food was so tasty and delicious. Everything was so well put together...when I was done with one dish and another one came out, I didn't know how the chef could top ot...but the team at Pidgin did. The environment and ambience was great for a night out and Nelson, our server, was incredibly informed and helpful. Thanks for enhancing my time in Vancouver! Looking forward to seeing you again on my next visit back.Special Features:
- The Prix Fix Menu to StellarCLIGDined on 9/1/2014We found this restaurant on Open Table and are so glad that we did. Based upon reviews, we did the prix fix menu. It was delicious. The cocktails (in particular the Mary Ellen) was also fantastic. Would highly recommend to anyone who wants a great meal.Special Features:
- Double Birthday CelebrationAvioGastownDined on 8/28/2014My most recent visit was on the occasion of my out of town sister's and my birthday. As a foodie from Toronto I knew Pidgin would not disappoint. We thoroughly enjoyed the prix fixe menu with a crisp dry sake. The ceviche and halibut were outstanding and we were disappointed that we were not able to finish the very ample dish of duck done 3 ways. We were treated to a lovely birthday dessert reminiscent of a giant macaroon. Our server was very knowledgeable and gracious and her approaches were impeccably timed. Our early reservation meant that we were able to enjoy the restaurant before the more boisterous crowd arrived.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic dinnermssyrupDined on 8/25/2014Had dinner with my boyfriend on our 3rd year anniversary. This spot had great ambience and amazing food. We cleaned every dish. The peach tart with jasmine infused cream was our favourite. Food came out a tiny bit slow, but we werent in a rush so didnt mind chatting and waiting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DJwinstonDined on 8/23/2014Incredible food...had the prix fix menu - a great option. Oyster shots were to die for, fabulous duck and halibut. Food that is art!! Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014We were pleasantly surprised to get a table at the last minute on a a Friday night. Incredible food, excellent service. The raw scallops, oyster shooters, mushrooms, halibut were outstanding. Dessert was delicious but the pastry was kind of tough. Only disappointment was we would have liked a coffee at the end of the meal, but they don't serve hot beverages.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food marred by service and noiseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2014While the food was quite good, the service was very poor and the room was headache-inducingly loud. There were not enough servers, and we had to flag them down anytime we needed anything (a round of drinks never came because the server could not get back to our table). I had taken out people I was trying to impress (as I had heard it has become a hot spot) and I ended up feeling a little humiliated because the service was so poor. The main reason I will not go back, however, is the noise. It was ear-splitting - there doesn't seem to be anything in the room to buffer the sound. I'm only 40, I like a really energetic room - but this was over the top loud. Too bad, because the food was pretty good.Special Features:
- Fantastic mealJohnVIPDined on 8/17/2014Two friends and I visited Vancouver this past weekend and decided to have one nice meal while there. We chose Pidgin, and we were completely blown away. Everything was delicious...the only thing that we didn't absolutely love was the briskit (which was a bit dry). The drinks, the food, the service, and the ambiance of the restaurant were just impeccable. Great attention to detail, and, all in all, a relatively affordable fine dining experience. Thanks to Jordan and the rest of the crew!Special Features:
- Great Asian fusionpjvbDined on 8/17/2014Had the degustation menu on a Sunday night when BYO corkage is $1. Diverse range of dishes with highlights the Halibut and the meringue desertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding4merChefDined on 8/14/2014The Prix Fixe menu was brilliant. A tasting menu, beautifully prepared and served with a smile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too saltyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/11/2014The food could be much better if it was not so salty. It was not just salty; in fact, I could taste the salt itself. We had the prix fixe menu. The best dishes were the fried chicken and oyster shooter. The wild boar was delicious and tender but too oily.
- Great foodRaulDined on 8/10/2014Menu items were very creative. Drinks were pricey, but excellent...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DannypliniofreireDined on 8/8/2014Great Asian fuzion restaurant! Very good service and menu! The Foie Gras was my favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie HeavenmetchefDined on 8/8/2014Once again we were wowed by the food at Pidgin! Having some personal favourites like the mushrooms/peas and of course the best duck ever, we were delighted with the new special additions this evening of duck wings and halibut ceviche that were outstanding. Service top notch as always. We will be back again and again. Thank you Pidgin!Special Features:
- vdubbDined on 8/7/2014Went here with a couple of girlfriends; food was alright - kinda lacks creativity and "unique-ness". The potato dish was really salty. But either than the food, the service was amazing - love the servers here, and the drinks were good. I really enjoyed the mushrooms, sugar snap peas, egg, soy yuzu brown butter dish, and the oysters shots.Special Features:
- Great food!WannabefoodieDined on 8/7/2014Food was amazing! Our server was great and was so knowledgable about the food and restaurant history. The oyster shots and pickle are delicious. Make sure to order those!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/24/2014Food was amazing! One of the best meals I've had. Still on of the best restaurants in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/24/2014It was pretty good. Not as great as other reviews made it out to beSpecial Features:
- Great Japanese and French fusionTak112030Dined on 7/19/2014PiDGiN is one of the best restaurant in Vancouver for special occasion. I took my wife for her birthday. Foie gras rice bowl was, out of all the dishes we ordered, the best dish. A server was very friendly and knew exactly what we needed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wowzer!mikeishotDined on 7/12/2014Pidgin never fails to impress. From the oyster shooter, of which I can never get enough (had 2 for appies and another one for dessert), to the new pepper appetizer (OMG that was good), to the standbys of grilled octopus and halibut, the dinner was superb. The drinks were also totally creative and beautifully prepared - we took our server's suggestions and were never disappointed (between the 2 of us we had 4 different concoctions). Service was relaxed, friendly and efficient, but never rushed. Overall, always a treat to come here. Recommended for locals to enjoy. Probably not for the cruise ship crowd.Special Features:
- FantasticserviceDined on 7/10/2014We were sat at the chefs table and from the moment we sat down we were very well taken care of. The chef explain every dish that came around on the lazy Susan in full detail. The kitchen and wait staff were very helpful in recommending dishes. I can't recommend just one dish as all were fantastic!! Halibut tartare, mushroom & snap peas, smoked salmon, gnocchi, oh and the duck mmmmmmmm!!!Special Features:
- Delicious right to the endMansiVIPDined on 7/6/2014Had a wonderful dinner here with friends. Our server was fantastic and helped with great suggestions for food and cocktails. We had the pork belly rice bowl, half duck, grilled octopus, shrimp toasts, mushrooms/sugar snap peas/egg, and pan roasted halibut with cauliflower puree. All of the dishes were amazing as was the yuzu curd and meringue for dessert (very fresh and light). If you're really hungry, I would say the prix fixe is a great option and a great way to try their signature dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.