350 Carrall Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 2J3Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pidginyvr.com/
- Phone: 6046209400
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 12:00 am; Sunday: 6:00 pm - 12:00 am;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Korean, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Makoto Ono
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Pidgin
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Pidgin - Best Restaurants in Gastown ›
Pidgin reviews from OpenTable diners
152 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (134)neighborhood gem (71)special occasion (70)hot spot (64)romantic (40)good for groups (38)late-night find (24)vibrant bar scene (19)notable wine list (5)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014I recently returned to PiDGiN after visiting early last year, this time with a group of friends. They did not disappoint! From the design of the space to the friendliness of the staff, we felt welcome before even making it to our table. We chose to share plates from the main menu and enjoyed everything we selected. The chicken wings proved to be a ballsy choice, good enough to order twice. Other highlights include the yuzu butter mushrooms, lamb belly, gnocchi, and melt-in-your-mouth beef brisket. On top of that, the cocktail menu was divine. The sazerac is easily the best I have ever had!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BlahFinickyDined on 9/13/2014Pretty mediocre for the price. It wasn't bad but I expected a lot more considering the hype and reviews. The server was kind but unattentive after the food was served. I enjoyed the oyster shooters and the mushrooms were very flavourful, however everything else was okay at best. While the halibut was nice and crispy on the outside, it ended up slightly overcooked and dry. The main dish was the half duck, and the spices and sides did not go well with the meat at all. It was my least favourite dish of all. While it wasn't a bad meal at all, I had high expectations and I don't think Pidgin met them.
- Exceptional experiencestonefireDined on 9/11/2014Great ambiance..unusual menu..Waiter made a suggested addition to our order which added to our experience..The owner stopped by and we fond much in common....in growing up in Windsor Ontario & other topics..The food preps were very good..The area is slowly gentrifying!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesomeOINKDined on 9/4/2014It was awesome! The service was excellent. Their oyster shots were to die for. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All around great experiencesparooDined on 9/1/2014A few nights ago I had a chance to visit Pidgin...it was everything I had heard and then some! I decided to have the tasting menu. It was perfect. I am not going to ruin what's on the menu, but I will share that I did not leave hungry and the food was so tasty and delicious. Everything was so well put together...when I was done with one dish and another one came out, I didn't know how the chef could top ot...but the team at Pidgin did. The environment and ambience was great for a night out and Nelson, our server, was incredibly informed and helpful. Thanks for enhancing my time in Vancouver! Looking forward to seeing you again on my next visit back.Special Features:
- The Prix Fix Menu to StellarCLIGDined on 9/1/2014We found this restaurant on Open Table and are so glad that we did. Based upon reviews, we did the prix fix menu. It was delicious. The cocktails (in particular the Mary Ellen) was also fantastic. Would highly recommend to anyone who wants a great meal.Special Features:
- Double Birthday CelebrationAvioGastownDined on 8/28/2014My most recent visit was on the occasion of my out of town sister's and my birthday. As a foodie from Toronto I knew Pidgin would not disappoint. We thoroughly enjoyed the prix fixe menu with a crisp dry sake. The ceviche and halibut were outstanding and we were disappointed that we were not able to finish the very ample dish of duck done 3 ways. We were treated to a lovely birthday dessert reminiscent of a giant macaroon. Our server was very knowledgeable and gracious and her approaches were impeccably timed. Our early reservation meant that we were able to enjoy the restaurant before the more boisterous crowd arrived.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic dinnermssyrupDined on 8/25/2014Had dinner with my boyfriend on our 3rd year anniversary. This spot had great ambience and amazing food. We cleaned every dish. The peach tart with jasmine infused cream was our favourite. Food came out a tiny bit slow, but we werent in a rush so didnt mind chatting and waiting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DJwinstonDined on 8/23/2014Incredible food...had the prix fix menu - a great option. Oyster shots were to die for, fabulous duck and halibut. Food that is art!! Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014We were pleasantly surprised to get a table at the last minute on a a Friday night. Incredible food, excellent service. The raw scallops, oyster shooters, mushrooms, halibut were outstanding. Dessert was delicious but the pastry was kind of tough. Only disappointment was we would have liked a coffee at the end of the meal, but they don't serve hot beverages.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food marred by service and noiseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2014While the food was quite good, the service was very poor and the room was headache-inducingly loud. There were not enough servers, and we had to flag them down anytime we needed anything (a round of drinks never came because the server could not get back to our table). I had taken out people I was trying to impress (as I had heard it has become a hot spot) and I ended up feeling a little humiliated because the service was so poor. The main reason I will not go back, however, is the noise. It was ear-splitting - there doesn't seem to be anything in the room to buffer the sound. I'm only 40, I like a really energetic room - but this was over the top loud. Too bad, because the food was pretty good.Special Features:
- Fantastic mealJohnVIPDined on 8/17/2014Two friends and I visited Vancouver this past weekend and decided to have one nice meal while there. We chose Pidgin, and we were completely blown away. Everything was delicious...the only thing that we didn't absolutely love was the briskit (which was a bit dry). The drinks, the food, the service, and the ambiance of the restaurant were just impeccable. Great attention to detail, and, all in all, a relatively affordable fine dining experience. Thanks to Jordan and the rest of the crew!Special Features:
- Great Asian fusionpjvbDined on 8/17/2014Had the degustation menu on a Sunday night when BYO corkage is $1. Diverse range of dishes with highlights the Halibut and the meringue desertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding4merChefDined on 8/14/2014The Prix Fixe menu was brilliant. A tasting menu, beautifully prepared and served with a smile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too saltyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/11/2014The food could be much better if it was not so salty. It was not just salty; in fact, I could taste the salt itself. We had the prix fixe menu. The best dishes were the fried chicken and oyster shooter. The wild boar was delicious and tender but too oily.
- Great foodRaulDined on 8/10/2014Menu items were very creative. Drinks were pricey, but excellent...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DannypliniofreireDined on 8/8/2014Great Asian fuzion restaurant! Very good service and menu! The Foie Gras was my favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie HeavenmetchefDined on 8/8/2014Once again we were wowed by the food at Pidgin! Having some personal favourites like the mushrooms/peas and of course the best duck ever, we were delighted with the new special additions this evening of duck wings and halibut ceviche that were outstanding. Service top notch as always. We will be back again and again. Thank you Pidgin!Special Features:
- vdubbDined on 8/7/2014Went here with a couple of girlfriends; food was alright - kinda lacks creativity and "unique-ness". The potato dish was really salty. But either than the food, the service was amazing - love the servers here, and the drinks were good. I really enjoyed the mushrooms, sugar snap peas, egg, soy yuzu brown butter dish, and the oysters shots.Special Features:
- Great food!WannabefoodieDined on 8/7/2014Food was amazing! Our server was great and was so knowledgable about the food and restaurant history. The oyster shots and pickle are delicious. Make sure to order those!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/24/2014Food was amazing! One of the best meals I've had. Still on of the best restaurants in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/24/2014It was pretty good. Not as great as other reviews made it out to beSpecial Features:
- Great Japanese and French fusionTak112030Dined on 7/19/2014PiDGiN is one of the best restaurant in Vancouver for special occasion. I took my wife for her birthday. Foie gras rice bowl was, out of all the dishes we ordered, the best dish. A server was very friendly and knew exactly what we needed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wowzer!mikeishotDined on 7/12/2014Pidgin never fails to impress. From the oyster shooter, of which I can never get enough (had 2 for appies and another one for dessert), to the new pepper appetizer (OMG that was good), to the standbys of grilled octopus and halibut, the dinner was superb. The drinks were also totally creative and beautifully prepared - we took our server's suggestions and were never disappointed (between the 2 of us we had 4 different concoctions). Service was relaxed, friendly and efficient, but never rushed. Overall, always a treat to come here. Recommended for locals to enjoy. Probably not for the cruise ship crowd.Special Features:
- FantasticserviceDined on 7/10/2014We were sat at the chefs table and from the moment we sat down we were very well taken care of. The chef explain every dish that came around on the lazy Susan in full detail. The kitchen and wait staff were very helpful in recommending dishes. I can't recommend just one dish as all were fantastic!! Halibut tartare, mushroom & snap peas, smoked salmon, gnocchi, oh and the duck mmmmmmmm!!!Special Features:
- Delicious right to the endMansiDined on 7/6/2014Had a wonderful dinner here with friends. Our server was fantastic and helped with great suggestions for food and cocktails. We had the pork belly rice bowl, half duck, grilled octopus, shrimp toasts, mushrooms/sugar snap peas/egg, and pan roasted halibut with cauliflower puree. All of the dishes were amazing as was the yuzu curd and meringue for dessert (very fresh and light). If you're really hungry, I would say the prix fixe is a great option and a great way to try their signature dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014Lovely tapas and very interesting drinks make for an enjoyable evening !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InterestinginvancDined on 7/5/2014The food was very good, not excellent. Care was done in its presentation, so visually it looked elegant. More care should have been focused on the food itself. Both lamb and pork dishes wer too fatty even for the "belly" cuts. The dessert did partially make up for the weaknesses in the main courses. Principal complaint - the awarkedness of the tables. We were three. Two of us were seated on a the same bench (fortuneately with a back - not all did) but the table was round which meant I had to reach a long distance to reach my plate even with bending forward! Luckily nothing slipped of my fork onto my lap. Furthermore, the tables were too close together. I was bumping against the diner seated next to me at the next (round) table.Special Features:
- Lovely date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014I left Pidgin feeling extremely full and happy. The food was very creative and well executed. The flavors were wall balanced on every dish. Our server was a kind gentleman and was very helpful even though we were indecisive. I would definitely go again. I wanted to try everything! I highly recommend the miso and gorgonzola crusted beef brisket with beets and freshly shaved horseradish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pidgin never disappointsthatmjsVIPDined on 6/30/2014Inventive dishes. Fabulous drinks. Friendly, efficient service. Pidgin never fails to impress and my most recent visit was no exception.Special Features:
- SolidOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/27/2014Service was great. From the server to the various people who served and presented the food. Excellent detail of the dish. Little details were met.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dripping with attitude1234VIPDined on 6/27/2014The food is good, but Pidgin suffers from the worst kind of self-congratulatory narcissistic pretentious posturing. Since Pidgin seems to feel they are too good for their customers, the public should oblige them by staying away. Then they can revel in the glory of their own self-importance without the burden of anything so mundane as providing service to patrons.
- Amazing Food Drinks and ServiceWendyDined on 6/26/2014We stumbled on this restaurant walking back to our hotel and the design elements were so appealing and out of place for the neighborhood that I was drawn to look at the menu in the window. The restaurant is both beautiful and extremely comfortable and relaxed. The food is both finicky and approachable. Finicky in that there is amazing attention to detail and flavor profiles. Approachable in that the plates are not overly artistic. It looks beautiful, but it still looks like food. We had oyster shooters, duck wings, mushrooms with peas and browned yuzu butter (the egg on this dish is put of control good), halibut with cauliflower and rice bowl with pork belly. For dessert yuzu curd with meringue. Everything was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambience, impeccable diningSimEDined on 6/25/2014The service is extremely well organized, and the food was extraordinary. Put together with a niche wine list that paired harmoniously with the food and ambience and you've got your date night/romantic/getaway that will always be remembered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie604Dined on 6/24/2014Food was amazing. However, wasn't thrilled with the service. Not very friendly and invitingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great value and service!luv2dine8Dined on 6/21/2014We chose Pidgin as one of our few dinners while visiting Vancouver and it was great! The prix fixe menu was such a good value and let us try a bunch of stuff on the menu, which was great since everything sounded so interesting. They even let us switch out one of the dishes in the prix fixe for a different one which we were more interested in. Service was very friendly, helpful and energetic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieBeeDined on 6/21/2014I really liked the interior of the restaurant. It wasn't fussy, but still looked polished and upscale. The service was great and definitely meant to be shared. I was there with a date, but I think it would be better with 3-4 people (not that it was bad with the two of us!). That way you can sample more of the dishes. It isn't too loud inside, so it's easy to have a conversation and relax. I've already recommended Pidgin to a friend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing and inspirational!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014Great execution on interesting and insightful food and flavour pairings! Beautiful presentation and friendly staff. A great dining experience filled with a few eye opening dishes as well as wholesome food at a very reasonable price! Thank you pidginSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BYOBBYOBFANDined on 6/13/2014Corkage charge if you bring your own bottle Tuesday through Saturday was $30. I would come again but only on a Sunday or Monday night when the corkage is $1.00.Special Features:
- Great food, so/so serviceKauKaureviewDined on 6/12/2014The food at Pidgin was creative, delicious and well presented. Oyster shooters and the mushroom dish were the highlights for us as well as the duck. The service left a lot to be desired. Our server was attentive.... but a bit too attentive, he interupted us on numerious occasions while we were in conversation, he described all but two dishes on the menu ( I would have preferred just a few favourites) and he was a bit pushy about trying to get us to order more. The food and setting made up for it but if we had had a more subtle server the entire evening would have been much more memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.